Lina Hidalgo

Nice Guy Eddie

The Chronicle’s endorsement was one of the weirdest things I’ve read in a long time. They basically entirely debunked their reasons for supporting her while endorsing her.

I thought the same thing. “Yes, she’s spewing misinformation, and no, she doesn’t actually have that much power to fox the crime issue. And finally, no, she hasn’t really drawn a real distinction between herself from the MAGA movement in her party. In conclusion, vote Maeler!”

Uh, okay.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Mealer's campaign is not a grassroots effort. By all appearances she has major backing from someone, and I don't mean the Harris County GOP.

Texas oil billionaires invest big in Lina Hidalgo's challenger
Tim Dunn and Farris Wilks, the West Texas oil magnates behind a conservative push to gut public education in Texas, are among Alexandra del Moral Mealer's most prolific benefactors, campaign finance records show.

Tim Dunn and Farris Wilks, the West Texas oil and fracking tycoons behind a conservative statewide push to replace Texas public education with private charter schooling, are among the biggest contributors to Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo's opponent in the 2022 election. 

Campaign finance records show that Alexandra del Moral Mealer, Hidalgo's Republican challenger, received a $100,000 donation from the Defend Texas Liberty PAC, which is heavily financed by Dunn and Wilks, during the latest three-month reporting cycle.

The $100,000 payment was also the largest contribution Dunn and Wilks' Defend Texas Liberty PAC made to any candidate during the same three-month window: the next-largest were $50,000 contributions to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick's reelection campaigns, according to the PAC's filings.  

The donation is also one of the largest Mealer received during that period: according to her campaign finance report, only six other contributors to her campaign gave between $100,000 and $150,000, while only three gave $350,000 or more.  

The contribution to Mealer's campaign was part of a record-breaking haul of donations amassed by the Republican challenger. Mealer, a former U.S. Army bomb squad captain and first-time political candidate, pulled in $4.9 million in campaign fund donations in just three months, triple the amount raised by Hidalgo during the same period, the Houston Chronicle reported.     

The Mealer campaign did not respond immediately to requests for comment. 

Mealer is the latest beneficiary of a decade-long push by Tim Dunn and Farris Wilks to move Texas to the right. 

Dunn and his wife Terri have doled out more than $18 million to right-wing political action committees and candidates for state and local positions across Texas in the past 10 years, while Farris Wilks and his wife, Jo Ann, have given more than $11 million, according to a CNN analysis of Texas Ethics Commission data.

Dunn and Wilks should be on everybody's lips just like George Soros.  

MAGA Mac and his wife have donated at least $178,000 by the August report.

Here's a pretty good breakdown on the August report for both candidates:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/city-county/2022/08/01/mid-year-campaign-finance-reports-for-harris-county-judge-race-show-288m-in-contributions-to-hidalgo-del-moral-mealer-since-february/

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

And you know that they will put monitors in 10 liberal voting precincts for every 1 conversations voting precinct. And the 1 is only there to say it was randomly distributed.

if you want to fight against these tactics, vote early. And get as many people you know to know to vote early. Their goal is to

1) make Election Day as inefficient as possible in some precincts.

2) create a long paper trail of “complaints” to eventually tie up on court. For this, they will be able to say that XXX,XXX irregularities were noted on Election Day by monitors. This will add to their narrative even if many of the complaints will be that the voter is Hispanic and therefore a suspected “illegal alien.”

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 5

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hidalgo fell into the role of county judge but she was a high achieving 27 year old, at the time. She ran unopposed in the dem primary in '18. I guess no other Dem thought they had a chance against Emmett so let the "young woman waste her time with a campaign." And then the City of Houston decided to toss out all Republicans.  All of a sudden she was county judge. 

Mealer is a few years older. West Point grad. Served in Afghanistan in ordinance disposal. Then graduated from Harvard. MBA and JD. His post Harvard experience was being an associate at Wells Fargo Securities for 3 years and then promoted to VP for 2. Then ran for office.

While I can't see that Mealer has any particular experience or skill to make her a good county leader, neither did Hidalgo in '18.

Which one is more qualified in 2022?

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Which one is more qualified in 2022?

I guess that is up to the voter to decide in assessing qualifications? I assume the only stated qualification is age and living in Harris county.

Mealer seems very capable on paper but she also appears to be placed as the nominee by special interests especially land developers. Who will she represent as the county judge? That gives me pause. I also don’t like that she’s backed by anti-vax people.

at the end of the day, I’m much better off today than I was in ‘18 especially in regards to how local govt impacts me. I would also guess that for many Mealer supporters they have also been minimally impacted by crime, which is her only campaign issue. I’m voting for Lina to keep up what she’s done over 4 years.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And you know that they will put monitors in 10 liberal voting precincts for every 1 conversations voting precinct. And the 1 is only there to say it was randomly distributed.

if you want to fight against these tactics, vote early. And get as many people you know to know to vote early. Their goal is to

2) create a long paper trail of “complaints” to eventually tie up on court. For this, they will be able to say that XXX,XXX irregularities were noted on Election Day by monitors. This will add to their narrative even if many of the complaints will be that the voter is Hispanic and therefore a suspected “illegal alien.”

As far as I know, the Democratic Party highly encourages vote by mail ( if you live in a normal state which allows it) or early voting. I personally don’t know any of my friends or family who both vote dem and vote on Election Day. I’m sure some dems still do tho.

Edited by Voldemort86

10 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

As far as I know, the Democratic Party highly encourages vote by mail ( if you live in a normal state which allows it) or early voting. I personally don’t know any of my friends or family who both vote dem and vote on Election Day. I’m sure some dems still do tho.

I love to vote in person. I also voted by mail exclusively when I lived in Ca. But it's not a burden for me to go vote in person. 

If you want to vote Dem, vote early in person. Maybe not Day 1 but there is plenty of time to show up.

The strategy of some GOP folks will be to tie up election day and slow down voting in certain locations. Steve Bannon is pushing this idea to his followers. They can't stop voters but they can slow it down. Which discourages voting.

I also guarantee that if you try this same tactic in rural Texas against the GOP, the local sheriff will toss you in jail and apologize later.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Mealer won a Republican primary in 2022. That's immediately disqualifying.

True. If she won't put party over law and the republic, she will meet the same fate as Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger. Being a person of value means little once that person enters a criminal organization with designs to and a record of insurrection.

I wouldn't vote for my brother, who is an excellent man, if he were on the GOP ticket.

Edited by RomaVicta
Gender confusion

18 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Lina is the one who is bringing the national political bs to county government. County and city government should be concerned with public safety, mass transit, courts, road repairs, etc. I have voted for Sylvester Turner since he is done a good job. No doubt he is a Democrat in a city council that is supposed to be officially non-partisan.

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What national politics is she bringing into county govt?

Macklemore vanishes like a puff of smoke. We know the coded meaning of national political bs; keep negroes* from voting

Out among the everyday GOPs, there is no questioning the phrase. You either take it at face value as part of the whole national government is the enemy, or you nod and wink because you know the coded meaning.

I won't vote for a white man where I can avoid it. Some are of great value, so they get my vote. Now I begin to wonder if white men should lose the right to vote for ten years. We're either malignant or blind. Either should be a disqualifying trait for running a country.

*Paraphrasing, of course.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

my precinct is heavy dem (SJL, holla). I vote early becasue a maga gqp nut isn't going to shoot up a poll during early voting. also, to avoid the lines / wait of election day. 

I can see my precinct having extra monitors and them raising false flags of voting irregularities. Texas maga gqp will be pulling out all the stops this mid terms to get votes thrown out  

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Macklemore vanishes like a puff of smoke. We know the coded meaning of national political bs; keep negroes* from voting

Out among the everyday GOPs, there is no questioning the phrase. You either take it at face value as part of the whole national government is the enemy, or you nod and wink because you know the coded meaning.

I won't vote for a white man where I can avoid it. Some are of great value, so they get my vote. Now I begin to wonder if white men should lose the right to vote for ten years. We're either malignant or blind. Either should be a disqualifying trait for running a country.

*Paraphrasing, of course.

Are you serious about not voting for white men solely based in their color of skin and the ridiculous line about taking away the right to vote. That’s some self-hating bullshit. Real estate developers are a huge reason why a city with a muggy climate and bayous has become one of the largest cities in the country and an economic powerhouse. She has purposefully spurned her back on the business community which is counter to the traditional base of power in Harris County. Expanding the role of county government beyond its traditional purview is my problem with her. Tax payer money going to a fund to pay representation for illegals being deported is straight from the progressive handbook. I am bowing out of this discussion. No point in trying to have a civil discussion  and getting negged for it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Are you serious about not voting for white men solely based in their color of skin and the ridiculous line about taking away the right to vote. That’s some self-hating bullshit. Real estate developers are a huge reason why a city with a muggy climate and bayous has become one of the largest cities in the country and an economic powerhouse. She has purposefully spurned her back on the business community which is counter to the traditional base of power in Harris County. Expanding the role of county government beyond its traditional purview is my problem with her. Tax payer money going to a fund to pay representation for illegals being deported is straight from the progressive handbook. I am bowing out of this discussion. No point in trying to have a civil discussion  and getting negged for it.

Extremist trash like you has no business in the mainstream.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Real estate developers

also a huge reason it floods so bad.  do they want to pay to remediate the flooding they're causing? no.  will mealer shield them from doing so?  yes.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

also a huge reason it floods so bad.  do they want to pay to remediate the flooding they're causing? no.  will mealer shield them from doing so?  yes.

Exactly. They want the candidate that will not hold them accountable for their contributions to the problem of flooding in Harris County. If I see a candidate that is backed by developers, I know that they are going to do nothing to fix flooding.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, huge said:

I was serious about the aide indictment.  What's the deal on that?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Hidalgo-defends-aides-indicted-in-vaccine-17076664.php:

Lawyers for Hidalgo and her aides say the staffers did not view Pereyra as a potential vendor while planning the contract. The lawyers contend that investigators conflated conversations the aides had with Pereyra about a separate data-focused job.

Hidalgo, who has not been accused of any legal wrongdoing herself, sought to defend her own ethics in the statement Tuesday, noting that she has refused political donations from county contractors since taking office in 2019.

“I’ve held myself to the highest ethical standards and that's reflected in my unprecedented commitment not to accept money from anybody who does business with the county,” said Hidalgo. “The people I choose to serve in my office understand that code of ethics.”

I'm not well versed in how contracting with the city works in practice, but this doesn't seem like much smoke and certainly not evidence of serious corruption.  Meanwhile, it's almost a lock that Mealer will be entirely corrupt.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Sorry you feel so persecuted, you poor thing. Still, you avoid the question about national political bs. I'm more convinced that you mean making it easier to vote in elections.

My point about white men isn't about pigment. It's about a history of arrogant self-glorification which is used to justify, consciously or not, an assumption of superiority and right to power. Everybody else has had to struggle against this power to be deigned worthy of freedom, the vote, or equality before the law. 

You toss out the term "progressive playbook" as though that by definition makes any such notion deplorable. I think you reveal your addiction to the hate engine. After being directly asked, you don't deny that the national politics being wickedly enforced on Harris County is allowing people (non-whites, let's be honest here) easier access to voting.

You bark at the word progressive, you assume I'm self-loathing because I'm trying see what's really going on (yikes! somebody won't run from being called 'woke'). I know there will be no banning white men from holding office or voting, but I think we'd all be the better for it if they'd (we'd) voluntarily step aside.* Such a thing would elevate social justice (OMG! He's not ashamed to have someone think he is a Social Justice Warrior!) which I believe is a top issue facing the republic other than people presumably like you who support groups associated with insurrection.

*spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Even apart from her MAGA-ness, the name "del Moral Mealer" should be disqualifying in itself.

Fuck that weirdly-named bitch.  "Mealer."  J.F.C. 

Shit, I just assumed her surname was Miller and y'all were making a "Mealer Lite" joke...

Big Lina fan and while I won’t doxx myself explicitly stating what I’ve done, I will say I very publicly defended her in a highly prominent way.

But I worry those attack ads may get her via yokel voters way out in the sticks. I also wish she’d run a campaign that said more than “She’s MAGA and I’m not. Illegal abortion!” 

Same tactics I see from the right — bring in issues that have little or nothing to do with the office. 

Anyway, I hope I’m wrong and all this worry stems from PTSD. Fuck Mealer, Fuck the developers, fuck Mattress MAGA (who is showing his true colors; have always hated that self-serving, conniving ghoul), fuck Dave Ward, and fuck the Chronicle editorial board. They’ve lost some good people in the last few years and it shows. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, royiv said:

Exactly. They want the candidate that will not hold them accountable for their contributions to the problem of flooding in Harris County. If I see a candidate that is backed by developers, I know that they are going to do nothing to fix flooding.

To be fair, more flooding, more dead kids, and fuck democracy don't sell well.  So they just make up other shit.

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe a few extra hands can help the votes get counted. Maybe within a week this time? 

The GOP gets away with so much shit. They complained about going to bed on election night with trump up by 20 points in some states that he later lost. Well…… if the GOP who run the state legislature in those states actually let people count early votes ahead of time instead of on election night we could finish faster.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, Macklemore said:

Most of her adult life was not spent in Houston and she did not know how county commissioners court worked and never attended a single meeting before being elected. Getting in trouble for alleged corruption and using tax dollars for a defense fund for illegals are feathers in her cap in your book but aren’t for the average Houstonian. I am confident that Dora will be sent packing on Election Day. Mealer checks off all the boxes - supported from law enforcement, business community, Latina and veteran. Lina is gonna lose.

Dora?

republicans think that any vote not for them is fraud.   They are there to remove the fraud.  We need more black dudes dressed in black with AR-15s to stand around the polling stations in predominantly republican areas.   

• Hook 'Em 7

18 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Big Lina fan and while I won’t doxx myself explicitly stating what I’ve done, I will say I very publicly defended her in a highly prominent way.

But I worry those attack ads may get her via yokel voters way out in the sticks. I also wish she’d run a campaign that said more than “She’s MAGA and I’m not. Illegal abortion!” 

Same tactics I see from the right — bring in issues that have little or nothing to do with the office. 

Anyway, I hope I’m wrong and all this worry stems from PTSD. Fuck Mealer, Fuck the developers, fuck Mattress MAGA (who is showing his true colors; have always hated that self-serving, conniving ghoul), fuck Dave Ward, and fuck the Chronicle editorial board. They’ve lost some good people in the last few years and it shows. 

It’s not just yokels that’ll be voting for Mealer. Tanglewood, Memorial, Spring Branch and Westchase areas will vote in Mealer. College educated women worried about crime will not have an issue voting for Mealer unlike their disgust for Trump.

The oil and gas industry and real estate developers are the twin pillars that built Houston. Cheap housing costs relative to other large metros was one of the major reasons that people have moved to Houston in droves. It’s not because of the weather, the outdoors/landscape that’s for sure. Gerald D Hines, Kenneth Schnitzer and David Weekly, and others have made Houston what it is. What other city has as many different clusters of offices, retail and residential like Houston. Who the fuck do you think made this city what it is.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

David Weekly?  Really?  Urban sprawl and poorly built cookie cutter residential homes don’t make a city. People do. I would submit that the influx of immigrants is the only thing that makes Houston even interesting culturally at this point. 

Does that include Iranians who wear fitted football jerseys?

• Like 1