2018 College World Series

sidis

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Every bit of that is comical including Baum has field turf.  I'm sorry your lineup struck out 17 times against a bunch of second rate pitchers, in a midweek loss to an Arkansas team playing without its two best players.  But at least you get the opportunity to come on a Texas message board and claim it was against Arkansas' best reliever.   No doubt Arkansas was scared to death after that experience the night before.

Evidently it was a really important series for y'all and you got embarrassed and have the sads that you didn't get to try and split the series.  I know this - at the time, your fanbase was thrilled the second game was cancelled.  Hope you have better luck going forward.

Not to interject into a cat fight between a Razorback and a Red Raider but you prance around like you guys are gods gift to college baseball. Texas has as many CWS appearances (9) since 2000 as Arkansas (9) has in its entire history... I can promise you nobody is scared of Arkansas lol... I'll admit I though it was funny when he said Baum had field turf.

44 minutes ago, Teddyballgame said:

Texas_Model_600x600.jpg?v=1528840026limited edition shirts on Baseballism

That's alright but the best Omaha shirts are the ones they sell by TDA based on the old Chicago White Sox "SOX" logo. I regret not buying one of those up in Omaha, as I've never been able to find those online.

2 hours ago, Loco said:

that guy is my favorite piggy fan... doesn't say a word and just sits there...  at least he has an original schtick

If my choices are:

a.  Him

b.  LSU K lady

c.  Vandy whistler

I'm glad he'll be the one in Omaha. 

I do miss the ASU opera singer dude who did the "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILS!!!!"

Ok boys...just cleared it with my bro

If you go to the texas roadhouse across the river in council bluffs ask for GM

Tell him Bone sent you and you get a free appetizer

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Just a bump if ya missed it

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

If my choices are:

a.  Him

b.  LSU K lady

c.  Vandy whistler

I'm glad he'll be the one in Omaha. 

I do miss the ASU opera singer dude who did the "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILS!!!!"

I have to mute the game with that Vandy whistling asshole.

Speaking of, what is the deal with promoting all these side stories and fans?  All of the folks above - LSU lady, whistler, Hognoxious - are complete clowns.  The MSU banana is stupid.  There are countless others.

These folks start to think they're famous and it gets worse.  Fuckin' ESPN.  These games have been inedible and can stand on their own.  Don't need to fill air time pumping up some fan dying for attention.

11 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

These folks start to think they're famous and it gets worse.  Fuckin' ESPN.  These games have been inedible and can stand on their own.  Don't need to fill air time pumping up some fan dying for attention.

I find them quite appetizing.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Speaking of, what is the deal with promoting all these side stories and fans?  All of the folks above - LSU lady, whistler, Hognoxious - are complete clowns.  The MSU banana is stupid.  There are countless others.

If they did a special on my friend who owns Clyde, one of the burnt orange vehicles with the horns, i'd support it.  everyone else can go float a boat.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Everybody's gotta have a bit.

I like that our bit is that we've been to Omaha 36 fucking times.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

I like the symmetry of the current 4-team tournament, 2-team best-of-3-series, 4-team tournament, 2-team best-of-3-series format.

But I actually MUCH preferred the 6-team regionals from the late 80s through the late 90s.  It was an incredibly fun, festival atmosphere with so many diverse teams and fan bases, in a 6-game double elimination tournament that could last almost a week.  I found that to be a lot more fun than the 4-team regional and then a 2-team super-regional.  

Was this before Super Regionals?  ie, the winner of the 6 team regional made it to the CWS?  48 teams making the tourney...

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Everybody's gotta have a bit.

I like that our bit is that we've been to Omaha 36 fucking times.

Eh, that's pretty good, but not nearly as good as say, someone making a high pitched bird-like noise continuously for the duration of a whole baseball game.

22 hours ago, sidis said:

then we utterly buttfucked vanderbilt in the supers 15-3 and 10-2...was at both of those.  i remember vandy had some top draft pick pitcher that came in talking a bit of shit and we scored 15 with a few homers that still haven't come down. 

Jeremy Sowers

He was drafted by the Indians.  In the first base side bleachers, there was far too much bourbon consumed and Major League quotes yelled- especially since I think he only lasted 3 innings or so.    

My face may also still be sunburned from that Regional/Super.

24 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Jeremy Sowers

He was drafted by the Indians.  In the first base side bleachers, there was far too much bourbon consumed and Major League quotes yelled- especially since I think he only lasted 3 innings or so.    

My face may also still be sunburned from that Regional/Super. 

you must have been sitting right next to me...because that was me.  4th&five can vouch.

Edited by sidis

27 minutes ago, RD3 said:

Was this before Super Regionals?  ie, the winner of the 6 team regional made it to the CWS?  48 teams making the tourney...

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yep.  The change from 48 to 64 teams in the field happened in '99.  This was when the Super Regionals were created.

Yup, and it was glorious!  The 6-team regional double-elimination tournament might have been hard on the pitching staff, but compared to the 8-team double-elimination tournament that followed in Omaha, well, you know...

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yep.  The change from 48 to 64 teams in the field happened in '99.  This was when the Super Regionals were created.

I was at the 2000 Super Regionals when we hosted Penn St, I believe and won only to be 2 & BBQ in the CWS...

Just now, RD3 said:

I was at the 2000 Super Regionals when we hosted Penn St, I believe and won only to be 2 & BBQ in the CWS... 

correct.  we were way out of our league in that one...as well as 2011.  outside of those however...we always had at least as many wins as losses in Omaha under augie.

On June 12, 2018 at 9:21 PM, dcar00 said:

I agree but I do like the 3 game series to settle the championship and I'll take this over the bullshit we got fed against Wichita St by CBS.  that was after the bullshit Spike Owen call.  the 80's were just constant kicks in the nuts.

Damn y'all, bringing up shit I've erased from my brain.

12 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

Still my favorite CWS moment was in 2002 when they were interviewing some South Carolina pitchers mom. She happened to be on the Cocks side of Rosenblatt and when the Game! Cocks! chant broke out she couldn't help by join in while being interviewed.

Wow, that is a great moment!!! CSB.

21 hours ago, orange dream said:

I hope this dude, leaves before game 1 is over because he has lost all hope...

Hognoxious-PIC.jpg

Hook 'em!!

This guy was great in ark - sc game. Was hoping the ump would have invited him out to home plate and kicked his nuts in and the dude choked.

Saying this after cussing out many, many mfing stupid ass umps, refs.

Would be great if Kody throws the horns up in his face after a walk off.

13 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

Still my favorite CWS moment was in 2002 when they were interviewing some South Carolina pitchers mom. She happened to be on the Cocks side of Rosenblatt and when the Game! Cocks! chant broke out she couldn't help by join in while being interviewed.

It did not happen during the Texas game.  The Cocks fans didn't have whole lot to cheer about in their loss to Texas.

2 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

My personal favorite.  Can't find a longer clip though.

That was a golden era in UT sports, the baseball, football and basketball seasons were so awesome. That was some Conan the Barbarian shit.

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

From the Vote for Augie and CWS database:

1950 CWS: 

Texas became the first team to win two consecutive College World Series.

Former Texas football and baseball star Bibb Falk led the Longhorns to the first title at Rosenblatt Stadium with a 3-0 victory against Washington State.

Jim Ehrler also tossed the first no-hitter in CWS history, against Tufts College in the third round. Ehrler struck out 14 Jumbos.

Ehrler also came close to pitching a shutout in the championship game, but was replaced by a pinch runner after in the seventh.

Ehrler also was the only pitcher to earn a win in the championship game on two separate occasions (1949, 1950).

1949:

Texas coach Bibb Falk won his first of two back-to-back titles.

The CWS field, moved to Wichita, Kan., in part due to financial difficulties, was expanded from two to four teams, a result of a more regional approach to the qualifying process.

In the final game, Longhorn Tom Hamilton had four RBIs and one home run, and teammate Jim Shamblin went 5 for 6 with a triple, a double, three RBIs and one run as Texas beat Wake Forest 10-3.

1975:

Richard Wortham, whose pitching future was jeopardized by an accident the previous October, hurled a four-hitter to give Texas the championship.

Wortham, with the help of Mickey Reichenbach's two-run homer in the third, beat South Carolina 5-1 in the windup to the double-elimination tournament.

The Longhorns, benefiting from the bye that gave them an off night the night before, won their third CWS title.

The Longhorns had been in Omaha for more tournaments than any other club.

Their first two titles were under 25-year coach Bibb Falk.

South Carolina, in its sixth year under coach Bobby Richardson, had never been in the CWS.

1983:

The difference was desire.

Texas players and coaches agreed on that as the Longhorns completed their undefeated trip through the College World Series with a 4-3 victory over Alabama to earn their fourth national championship.

"We wanted this more than any other thing," said Longhorn shortstop Mike Brumley, who scored Texas' go-ahead run in the seventh inning.

Coach Cliff Gustafson had a similar answer when asked the difference between that season and the previous year's fourth-place finish.

"I would say we had more of a never say die attitude," Gustafson said.

Texas won the double-elimination tournament while going unbeaten in five games. Alabama, with one loss, would have needed to win that contest to set up a championship win.

Texas right-hander Calvin Schiraldi, who picked up two pitching victories for the Longhorns, was named the most valuable player.

"Timely hitting and pitching — that's what did it for us," said Brumley, who scored Texas' third run. "That's what has done it for us all year. We've got to feel great we won it."

Most Outstanding Player

Calvin Schiraldi, Texas

The right-hander picked up two victories for the champion Longhorns, pitching 14 1/3 innings, striking out 16 and allowing just one earned run.

Schiraldi stopped James Madison 12-0 on five hits in the tournament opener, then struck out 11 in 5 1/3 innings of relief against Alabama in the winners' bracket final.

All-Tournament Team

Dave Magadan, Alabama, 1b, Jr.
Bill Bates, Texas, 2b, Fr.
Chris Sabo, Michigan, 3b, Jr.
Mike Brumley, Texas, ss, Jr.
Barry Bonds, Arizona St., of, Fr.
Dale Sklar, Michigan, of, So.
Tim Knapp, Oklahoma St., of, Sr.
Jeff Hearron, Texas, c, Sr.
Pete Incaviglia, Oklahoma St., dh, Fr.
Calvin Schiraldi, Texas, p, Jr.
Tim Meacham, Alabama, p, Jr.

2002:

The Longhorns finished on top of the college baseball world for the first time since 1983 by defeating South Carolina 12-6 in the championship game of the College World Series.

The victory gave Texas its fifth national championship and Augie Garrido his fourth — his first three came when he was at Cal State Fullerton.

The championship qualities that Garrido saw in those Fullerton teams were first displayed by the Longhorns the previous fall. It was then that he started talking about how his sixth team at Texas had what it takes to win it all.

No Longhorn knew that any better than did Carmichael, who missed all of the 2001 season with a wrist injury. His hard work to get back for his senior season wasn't always rewarded as he spent most of the 2002 season playing a reserve role. He had batted just 57 times prior to the championship game at Rosenblatt Stadium, but unexpectedly found himself in the starting lineup.

The most important award the Longhorns would cart back home would be the championship trophy that Texas added to the ones it picked up for winning in 1949, 1950, 1975 and 1983. The 13-year drought between titles hadn't always been easy for Texas fans to accept, and no one knew that better than Garrido.

Most Outstanding Player

Huston Street, Texas

Texas relief pitcher Huston Street was named the CWS most outstanding player, one of five Longhorns to make the all-tournament team.

Street set a CWS record by picking up four saves, finishing every win for Texas. Street allowed just two hits and one run in 6 1/3 innings.

Only three freshmen had previously won the award, with Pat Burrell of Miami the last in 1996

All-Tournament Team

Michael Johnson, Clemson, 1b, Jr.
Tim Moss, Texas, 2b, So.
Omar Quintanilla, Texas, 3b, So.
Victor Menocal, Georgia Tech, ss, Sr.
Justin Harris, South Carolina, of, Jr.
Sam Fuld, Stanford, of, So.
Dustin Majewski, Texas, of, Jr.
Landon Powell, South Carolina, c, So.
Steve Stanley, Notre Dame, dh, Sr.
Justin Simmons, Texas, p, So.
Huston Street, Texas, p, Fr

2005:

Three hundred sixty four days after leaving Rosenblatt Stadium as red-faced runners-up, Texas celebrated a national championship in 2005. J. Brent Cox's strikeout of Florida's Stephen Barton sealed Texas' 6-2 victory and a sweep of the College World Series best-of-three championship series.

A year before, Taylor Teagarden was among the Longhorns who refused to come out to accept the second-place trophy after getting swept in the championship series by Cal State Fullerton. They said it was a mix-up, even though NCAA officials had informed them of the on-field ceremony. They were roasted in the days that followed for what some perceived as a lack of sportsmanship.

The 2005 championship came from a group that struggled at various times during the season, finishing third in its conference.

But once they hit Omaha, the Longhorns were unbeatable in five wins that hiked their record to 56-16. Texas outscored its five opponents 24-8. Texas pitchers posted a 1.40 ERA and struck out 41 hitters in 45 innings. The defense was outstanding, turning six double plays and committing just three errors.

No two Longhorns stepped up more on championship Sunday than pitcher Kyle McCulloch and third baseman David Maroul. McCulloch, a sophomore right-hander, picked up his second CWS win, and his 12th of the season, with a dominating performance that saw Florida (48-23) go hitless until the fifth inning

Most Outstanding Player

David Maroul, Texas

Maroul became just the fifth third baseman in history to claim the award after hitting .500 for the CWS and starring in both games of Texas' championship series sweep of Florida.

In Sunday's 6-2 win, Maroul hammered a three-run home run and drove in the game's first run with one of his two singles.

In Saturday's 4-2 victory, he hit a two-run homer and added a single and a double.

All-Tournament Team

Taylor Teagarden, Texas, c, Jr.
Jeff Larish, Arizona St., 1b, Sr.
Joey Hooft, Arizona St., 2b, Sr.
David Maroul, Texas, 3b, Sr.
Seth Johnston, Texas, ss, Sr.
Colin Curtis, Arizona St., of, So.
Travis Buck, Arizona St., of, Jr.
Andy Gerch, Nebraska, of, Fr.
Will Crouch, Texas, dh, Sr.
Kyle McCulloch, Texas, p, So.
J. Brent Cox, Texas, p, Jr

1 hour ago, Eugene11 said:

Damn.  Can it be Saturday already please

Seriously:

One of the first questions first-time College World Series participants like Washington face is whether the team will be overwhelmed by the moment.

After what Washington went through to get to Omaha, third baseman Willie MacIver said, the last thing he’ll worry about is nerves.

“We’re playing with house money,’’ said the junior from Pleasant Hill, California. “We’ve been playing with house money for a while because we’ve been playing playoff baseball for about the past five weeks.

“We know we’re hot. We have confidence in our lineup, and with our pitching in knowing we can win. No opponent scares us.’’

To find out when the Huskies (35-24), who face Mississippi State on Saturday night, were truly terrified, go back to April 23.

Washington lost at home that day to Texas-Rio Grande Valley to fall to 18-18.

“At that point, we were playing for our lives,’’ MacIver said. “We wanted to make the postseason because we knew the whole time we had something special with this team. The feeling of chemistry and family we have is really rare for an entire team.

“The only way to get to Omaha is to be selfless.’’

To drive that point home, senior outfielder K.J. Brady called a meeting after the Rio Grande Valley loss.

“K.J. was the ringleader,’’ MacIver said. “He got us all together and pumped up. We started winning some games and actually believing we could do this. We got rolling and got hot at the right time, and now we’re here. It’s pretty amazing.’’

Washington has gone 17-6 since that meeting, going 3-0 in the Coastal Carolina regional, then sneaking past Cal State Fullerton by scoring a run in the bottom of the ninth inning and two in the bottom of the 10th to pull out the deciding super regional game 6-5.

Washington’s starting pitcher in that win-or-go-home game was Joe DeMers, who allowed one hit through eight innings.

DeMers and MacIver share special status as baseball teammates since the age of 8, playing together in Little League, middle school, high school and college. Joining them through the first three stages before going to other colleges were Oregon State outfielder Trevor Larnach and Cal outfielder Jeff Mitchell.

“It’s been like having three other brothers,’’ MacIver said. “How close we’ve been through all this is amazing. The first time we all met, we all gravitated toward each other. We had the same interests, played the same video games, played all the sports.

“It was fun, but we also pushed each other. Joe DeMers was so talented when we were young, it really pushed me and Trevor and Jeff to work harder and accomplish something. It fueled our fire for sure.’’

The competition paid off.

In the Major League Baseball draft last week, Larnach went in the first round to Minnesota, MacIver in the ninth to Colorado and DeMers in the 11th to Oakland.

“That’s been our goal since 8 years old,’’ MacIver said. “I knew from the time I was 8 I wanted to play college baseball and be a big leaguer. We all believed that. We had the humbleness and the confidence at the same time to know that if we worked hard, that it would pay off.’’

Before pro ball, MacIver and DeMers have a stop to make at TD Ameritrade Park for the College World Series. That’s a new experience for Washington but not an impossible one.

Two years ago, first-time CWS qualifier Coastal Carolina won the championship.

I wasn't sure if I was going to go this year.  I had bought refundable plane tickets going up next Wednesday, and the guy I stay with every year said his family was thinking about going camping on Thursday...

And then the Huskies pulled off that miracle Sunday night.  And I couldn't believe it.  And I thought about all of the hours I spent sitting at their shitty little glorified high school field in the drizzle watching them play, where I was maybe the only person in the stands who wasn't either related to a player or dating a player... and fuck this, I HAVE TO GO TO OMAHA. 

And my friend somehow won the argument with his wife so they're not going camping.  (I told her when they got married several years ago, "He can be your husband 51 weeks of the year, but not during CWS week.")  And so I paid way too much to fly up there early.  Except it wasn't way too much, because it will be worth it.

My 21st trip to the CWS, and it has both Longhorns and Huskies.  Unbelievable.  Can't beat that.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I miss Huston Street.  That dude was something else to watch. I’m a young fan so he was the greatest I had seen up to that point in my life 

He was money on some really fun A's teams I watched growing up, too. Just a really talented, likeable player.

"All Arky has to do is plunk Clemons his 1st time up and he will be useless for the rest of the trip to Omaha ."

From an aggy poster.

"SEC dominance means we can sell that if you want to play with the big boys and stay in Texas we are your only choice."

Response:

"It does? Since we've been in the SEC, t.u. and tech have been to the CWS now a combined 5 times. We've been once. During that time period, the SEC has won the CWS championship twice and had another team in the final series 3 times. During that time, only the Pac12 had more than one team either win the title or finish as a runner up. Thus, in this period, the SEC was fairly dominant. 

So, the recent SEC's dominance hasn't done us one damn bit of good compared to t.u. and tech, especially with our 2 and out last year. Another Texas team prevented us from going the 2 previous years. I'd say we better tap the brakes on saying we're among the big boys and the other 3 schools aren't.

I wish people would quit using this tired and ridiculous argument that somehow conference strength will always make us better. I've shown that, at least in this sample, it hasn't. Kids go to programs to 1) play and 2) play for a coach they like. Conference affiliation may factor in somewhere but it isn't going to trump either one of those in a significant way -- at least not for enough recruits for us to get better."

I'm good with that response.