Michael Dickson

Machinator

Is his style of punting similar to when soccer style kicking emerged and took over or is he a one of a kind mutant?  I lean to mutant.  If others were capable of the level of control he has, I think they would have appeared before now.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Is his style of punting similar to when soccer style kicking emerged and took over or is he a one of a kind mutant?  I lean to mutant.  If others were capable of the level of control he has, I think they would have appeared before now.

I think it's the former - I seem to remember one article where they talk about how these Aussies are taught how to spin the ball. Granted Dicko is a LOT better at it than most, but he's worked hard to perfect the technique. If he continues this he will change punting the same way Stenerud did placekicking. 

I'm guessing that there will be a lot more college recruiters and NFL scouts heading to Australia soon.  Kids there grow up playing Aussie Rules, which requires a lot of directing the ball with kicks, so this is a skill set not unique to MD.  Obviously he is great at what he does, but there is much more talent to be mined down under.

45 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I'm guessing that there will be a lot more college recruiters and NFL scouts heading to Australia soon.  Kids there grow up playing Aussie Rules, which requires a lot of directing the ball with kicks, so this is a skill set not unique to MD.  Obviously he is great at what he does, but there is much more talent to be mined down under.

I am actually headed to Australia tomorrow to visit some mines so this hits close to home. I will see what I can dig up and hopefully strengthen the supply to Austin.

2 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I am actually headed to Australia tomorrow to visit some mines so this hits close to home. I will see what I can dig up and hopefully strengthen the supply to Austin.

Tell them we have the Michael Dickson path to NFL riches program at UT.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

We had another Aussie-style punter under Mack and he was pretty good but nowhere near Dicko's league. I remember seeing Mack's guy punt for the first time and freaking out, thinking it was gonna be a fucking terrible fake. 

We had another Aussie-style punter under Mack and he was pretty good but nowhere near Dicko's league. I remember seeing Mack's guy punt for the first time and freaking out, thinking it was gonna be a fucking terrible fake. 

Who? Texas has had a rugby style punter. But not Aussie rules.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

East Bernard.  Home of Vincek's meat market.  Good bbq, GREAT house-smoked bacon and pork hocks for your pot of pintos.

And.....we've now discussed everything good about East Bernard.

Overlaps with your point but it demarcates the border between greater Houston and Czech Texas. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

East Bernard.  Home of Vincek's meat market.  Good bbq, GREAT house-smoked bacon and pork hocks for your pot of pintos.

And.....we've now discussed everything good about East Bernard.

Wouldn't the smoke flavor in the beans make your chili taste funny?

(ducks and runs away)

We'll see soon if it's teachable  technique or unique talent, when his replacement suits up this week.  His cousin Ryan Bucjevski is taking his place, having trained at the same Australian punting academy.  I hope it's at least teachable within the family.

We'll see soon if it's teachable  technique or unique talent, when his replacement suits up this week.  His cousin Ryan Bucjevski is taking his place, having trained at the same Australian punting academy.  I hope it's at least teachable within the family.
Pretty sure it's a little of both..

The good news is we'll probably having Dickson working out with and coaching the cuz during the off season, (just like this past one) our new Aussie may be getting pretty good by year 2. Don't expect miracles this year though, even Dicko was pretty inconsistent his Freshman year, and even as a Soph at times.

Just now, Llogg said:

WTF is leftover smoked brisket?

You know, when you smoke a whole brisket for your family of 4, because dammit, you want some brisket.  You eat a bunch of that 14 lb brisket, but you don't eat the whole thing in one sitting.  You eat some the next day on sammiches, in tortillas, etc.  But if you cube some and put it in a pot of chili, you are winning.  You get to eat brisket multiple times.  Which is good.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 9:29 AM, The Dog said:

I think it's the former - I seem to remember one article where they talk about how these Aussies are taught how to spin the ball. Granted Dicko is a LOT better at it than most, but he's worked hard to perfect the technique. If he continues this he will change punting the same way Stenerud did placekicking. 

Yeah, was friends with a walk-on Aussie punter back in 1997ish. He basically got to hangout on the sidelines because he showed up to MBs “invincible” open student tryout. 

He said that while we in the US hang out and throw the football, they do the same thing but with their feet. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Brisketexan said:

You know, when you smoke a whole brisket for your family of 4, because dammit, you want some brisket.  You eat a bunch of that 14 lb brisket, but you don't eat the whole thing in one sitting.  You eat some the next day on sammiches, in tortillas, etc.  But if you cube some and put it in a pot of chili, you are winning.  You get to eat brisket multiple times.  Which is good.

yea, did you have an aneurism or something? I'm not seeing anything in that space.