2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

4 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

For the record, I’m on day 6 with no power. It sucks. Sorry I struck a nerve about the generators, but my neighbor fired up three of them yesterday .. the constant noise on top of no power is really frustrating.

Yeah, fuck that guy for being prepared.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Crews appeared a few streets over a couple of hours ago. They were accompanied by at least five trucks of A&M Forest Service folks to help clear trees and branches.

Hoping they don't pack up when it gets dark because what they're working on now won't fix our street.

We'll be fine another night, but I'd really like to dress in the morning with lights.

Hope is for suckers.
You're fucked.  You'll stay fucked.  Because fuckery.
I'll believe something is being done when I have actual fucking electricity at my house.

this is the correct response to my hopium post up above. They fixed the power two streets over yesterday before dark and drove away. Nothing today on our street.

I called the Austin Energy service line and they basically read the details from the outage map to me. "Oh, yes. I see it's you and 50 other customers that don't have power."
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

For the record, I’m on day 6 with no power. It sucks. Sorry I struck a nerve about the generators, but my neighbor fired up three of them yesterday .. the constant noise on top of no power is really frustrating.

sounds like the sound of regret for not thinking of buying a generator in either the 2021 or 2022 sales tax holidays for emergency  preparations

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

touche' 

Wait, there's a publicly accessible fish pond at Camp MabrY?  How am I just now hearing about this?  I've only been on the installation twice in 25 years.  

Deej has special access privileges since he is willing to go bass to mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Wife reports that we have power.  We made it not quite five and a half days.

Now, for the interior cleanup.  Fridges and freezers should be fun.  We already pulled what we thought could/should be saved.  Will probably just sweep everything out into a trash can, and start over.  And got cords and generator to stow, plenty of fun stuff.   But at least I don't have to do my evening routine of getting 5 gallons of gas (I ALWAYS get some on one of my hands, and it's hard as hell to get that smell off).

Here's rooting for the rest of you.  And seriously, anyone in the hood (NW Hills, near Anderson High) need to borrow a generator, I'm happy to let you use ours for as long as you need to.

• Hook 'Em 6

Firing him won't change the fact that they are going to do nothing to revert back to better pruning policies.  This is complete reactionary bullshit and will do absolutely jack fucking shit to mitigate the next time this happens.  Cronk should go, but not over this.  
What was so unique to Austin that we're the only large city in Texas hit by this storm having these issues that'll take two weeks to resolve?  Hmmmmm, are we the only MSA with fucking trees?  

Sargent should go over this current crisis. Cronk should go because I cannot same a single sector of city government is functioning at a competent level in Austin.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wife reports that we have power.  We made it not quite five and a half days.

Now, for the interior cleanup.  Fridges and freezers should be fun.  We already pulled what we thought could/should be saved.  Will probably just sweep everything out into a trash can, and start over.  And got cords and generator to stow, plenty of fun stuff.   But at least I don't have to do my evening routine of getting 5 gallons of gas (I ALWAYS get some on one of my hands, and it's hard as hell to get that smell off).

Here's rooting for the rest of you.  And seriously, anyone in the hood (NW Hills, near Anderson High) need to borrow a generator, I'm happy to let you use ours for as long as you need to.

Sorry that sucked, sometimes you just have to celebrate.  If I was you, I’d be ordering a savage from Conan’s, and a couple rolls of toilet paper.  I just did that myself and I haven’t even lost power.  

13 hours ago, hornian said:

KUT had a spot in the afternoon about Cronk, and how the City Council added an item to this weeks agenda about discussing his performance. 

The outro music was “Heads Will Roll” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. 

I laughed. 

Can't wait to also see the (tenured) council members evaluating their own performance and contributions to this clusterfuck. 

i keep hearing from the new district 4 rep that 78757 is the worst impacted zip code.... and its not even fucking close. 

at 6am this morning there were 2,830 addresses in the 78757 zip reporting no power on the austin energy website.

at the same time the system showed just under 9,200 total addressess in austin without power still.

it doesnt take a math genius to do that math and point out that as of 6am this morning more than 30 fucking percent of the city without power is in 1 fucking zip code and we havent seen a truck in our neighborhood since SATURDAY.

*although the app does say that they finally assigned (note assigned not there yet), assigned a crew to the 3rd smallest outtage group 3 blocks over from me.... so there is SOME movement there supposedly.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

My parents are still in the dark just off Westlake Dr. 

i went and got someone off the high road on friday to bring them back to my house and it looked like world war 1 back there.  that is gonna take some time to clean up.

well, that icon that showed the 3rd smallest outtage in the area disappeared and several folks in the hood claim stuff came back on.

then about 2 mins ago i got a text from AE claiming that a crew has been assigned to my outtage.  lets hope they can A) clear it, and B) that i dont have a random single broken line between me and the transformer

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, hornian said:

KUT had a spot in the afternoon about Cronk, and how the City Council added an item to this weeks agenda about discussing his performance. 

The outro music was “Heads Will Roll” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. 

I laughed. 

Lyrics check out on multiple levels.

Glitter on the wet streets
Silver over everything
The river's all wet
You're all chrome

Cleaned out the inside fridge and freezer yesterday.  We had already pulled a fair bit (what was worth saving went to my dad's freezer/fridge, what wasn't got tossed), and we STILL filled two kitchen trash bags.  Have to tackle the outside fridge and freezer next, then will return the stuff from my dad's to our house.

Probably a few hundred bucks worth of stuff.  Managed to save most all of my venison, though.

Kept the raw chicken that was in the fridge for 6 days with no power.  May just go in there and lick it later.  Because why not, right?

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

My parents are still in the dark just off Westlake Dr. 

Spoke with my old next door neighbor and he said they got power back on Sunday.  They were without power or water for four days.  I cannot understand how these MUD do not have some form of backup power after what happened two short years ago?  Oh the memories of gathering snow to melt to flush the dam toilets…

If I was still in Austin, I’d be planning a margarita flight bender at Hays City Store on the next sunny patio day.  Not much better than that on a gorgeous spring day in the Hill Country!

Better days soon folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, smoky said:

144 hours and counting.

oh man, i thought you and i had been in the same boat. However, We got power restored yesterday at 3pm. So  5 days, 12 hours without. Freezer is mostly a complete loss. 4 loads of laundry done, dishwasher run, etc.

Although......just lost power again at 12:30pm... so things are not unfucked yet it appears.

4 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Spoke with my old next door neighbor and he said they got power back on Sunday.  They were without power or water for four days.  I cannot understand how these MUD do not have some form of backup power after what happened two short years ago?  Oh the memories of gathering snow to melt to flush the dam toilets…

If I was still in Austin, I’d be planning a margarita flight bender at Hays City Store on the next sunny patio day.  Not much better than that on a gorgeous spring day in the Hill Country!

Better days soon folks.

By law they are required to have backup power. They could have had a generator failure or another failure in the system not associated with power. What MUD is it in?

On 2/6/2023 at 9:34 AM, Brisketexan said:

So, you are cordially invited to fuck yourself up your fucking ass with a fully electrified nail-studded baseball bat, you fucking piece of shit.

I run a generator - at night only - to power a small radiant heater to keep my fucking bedroom livable.  "It's a mild night."  52 degrees is pretty fucking chilly in your goddamn bedroom.  It also powers a lamp, and outlets to charge our phones and laptop.  When it's really cold, we plug in a second space heater.  You know, so we can sleep.  In our own fucking house.

Fuck you, asshole.  I tell you what, you come sleep at my house, and turn the generator off, and I'll stay at yours, with power.  Deal?  You fucking open sore of a human being.

Daaaaannnnnngggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tell your dad that they ordered the part from China, and it was being shipped by some kind of fancy drone balloon air delivery, and they were tracking it from Alaska through Canada, across Montana and then down across the plains and apparently it wasn’t able to make it to Texas (high winds?), and for some reason, when it got about 6 miles off the coast of South Carolina, it disappeared.

that is gonna hurt their seller's rating on Amazon.

Edited by yoladu

We have a friend using our casa as a lifeboat now.  He lives over behind the former Lanier high school, still no power, and no work on prospects.  His husband is out of town working, and he got tired of hanging out by himself in a dark house with no power, so he's camping with us till he gets power back.   

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We have a friend using our casa as a lifeboat now.  He lives over behind the former Lanier high school, still no power, and no work on prospects.  His husband is out of town working, and he got tired of hanging out by himself in a dark house with no power, so he's camping with us till he gets power back.   

OK.

• Haha 1