USMNT 2023

ztejas

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I pulled up ESPN here in Mexico and hit translate.   It was awesome…. Some highlights:

“Mexican ineffectiveness is a suicidal invitation for the adversary. And the United States wastes the 23rd. Christian Pulisic in the box, taking out his lapdog Edson Álvarez, but on the final shot, he sends it over.”  “At 90 seconds into the second half, Mexico is violated again. Jesús Gallardo only sees Tim Weah's catalytic converter, who goes deep, after a play orchestrated from his field. Pulisic appears again in the center, with guards that are more distracted, coarser, more goofy and slow in head and foot. 2-0.”

”Mexico remained in the same line of shipwreck. The players tried to do individual feats, but without being trained for it. The United States felt more comfortable than ever in history against a Mexican team, to the point that they even seemed to feel sorry for them.”

plaintext for darkmoders

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If letting Gerg go was a mistake, you would expect there to be a vocal contingent of fans that would have argued the decision. But I don't recall any criticism of the decision really. The universal reaction was pretty much

giphy.gif.0ff03a7560bd49c0da97d42c5ea57c27.gif

its hard to stifle the enjoyment of beating el tri like jnip's pops, but this decision pretty much does it. We like to step on our national dick whenever possible 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

its hard to stifle the enjoyment of beating el tri like jnip's pops, but this decision pretty much does it.

Meh. This team is a lot bigger than the manager. If y'all want to try and find reasons to not enjoy handing our biggest rival their biggest ass whipping at our hands in the modern era then whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also, and I'm not a huge follower of soccer, but I think the US has a huge advantage in the next ten years versus El Tri.

We have a massive base of kids playing academy level soccer in this country right now, and our system is set up to where we promote talent. If a player is good, they will likely get recruited for the next level because we as a country generally reward talent.

Mexico, on the other hand, is a bit of a pay to play type country. At least according to my BIL who grew up there. If you are good, you still have to pay the right people to move up the chain.

So while we have a talent pool from a population of over 330 million people that gets promoted based mostly on merit, Mexico has a talent pool from a population of about 127 million that gets promoted based on how much your family can pay the coaches or how connected they are.

If we lose to Canada I really don’t care too much. Dest destroying the right side for an assist and landing a retaliatory shot to face for a red is totally worth it.

Fuck Mexico and their cheap shot bullshit while losing 3-0. Our depth will fucking kill them for the next cycle on through and we can show that now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

If we lose to Canada I really don’t care too much. Dest destroying the right side for an assist and landing a retaliatory shot to face for a red is totally worth it.

Fuck Mexico and their cheap shot bullshit while losing 3-0. Our depth will fucking kill them for the next cycle on through and we can show that now.

Cannot believe how dirty that team is nor how atrocious their fans are. Every time with the kickoff "cheer' and throwing projectiles on the field. 

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Circus Circus gonna be fun later

I thought that that place was leveled. Glad to read that it’s still around. 

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So maybe I'll get Roasted for this because of my lack of Spanish, but I always thought "puto" meant "bitch" or "pussy". Didn't ever equate it with "faggot".

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Same here. 

I think that the original translation is “male whore who accepts money from male clients for sex.”

Men being their clients may have been unsaid, but understood.

I think that “puta” was just an abbreviation of “prostituta”.

A “puta”- a bitch (female dog) & a whore (prostitute) - gets penetrated during sex and thus…

so would a “puto”.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Also, and I'm not a huge follower of soccer, but I think the US has a huge advantage in the next ten years versus El Tri.

We have a massive base of kids playing academy level soccer in this country right now, and our system is set up to where we promote talent. If a player is good, they will likely get recruited for the next level because we as a country generally reward talent.

Mexico, on the other hand, is a bit of a pay to play type country. At least according to my BIL who grew up there. If you are good, you still have to pay the right people to move up the chain.

So while we have a talent pool from a population of over 330 million people that gets promoted based mostly on merit, Mexico has a talent pool from a population of about 127 million that gets promoted based on how much your family can pay the coaches or how connected they are.

Agreed, though only with the bolder part.

Countries across Europe show that you can crank out a lot of top level talent with smaller talent pools. (Big thing is how our players are split across so many sports).

But that need to be connected and how poorly they’ve developed talent are starting to really show on their national team. They can fix it, but it won’t be quick. They can identify talent, but it won’t be hitting prime for a while.

10 years might be right.

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

And this is their biggest issue. For all we want to talk about the results, I don’t see an improvement for them in the near future. They haven’t developed much young talent because their federation has too much of the clubs getting their older stars on the NT. 

That game last night was great. It showed just how wide a gap there is right now between the US and mexico. Mexico looked slow and unathletic, we looked VERY fast and VERY athletic. Crazy. I remember not too long ago we would ohh and ahh over 1-2 of our US players playing in Europe. That lineup last night was all European players except for Miles Robinson who plays for Atlanta. It was as close to a World Cup lineup as we could get, except maybe Tyler Adams. Our CBs are the only real question mark on this team. Love seeing it. I CANNOT WAIT for Copa America next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The craziest thing about bringing greggggggg back is that the team has looked MUCH better (albeit against worse competition) with his assistant coaches running the show. 

That says a lot, get out of these players way and let them play. But apparently the fed don't watch their team.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I didn't get to see the game last night and I am just now reading about what happened.

Am I correct in assuming it was the Mexico trash fans with the Puto chant?  Who or what were they directing the chant towards?  What was the split of the crowd?

And where were the refs from?

Puto chant - the usual thing - when the GK was kicking off yelling it. The split was generally seen as 80/20. The game was in Vegas, so that split was to be expected.

The ref was Ivan Barton, he is from El Salvador. Clearly this game couldn't be called by a US or Mexican ref. I think maybe Costa Rica is the next league to get one from. I can't think anywhere better.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ivan-barton/profil/schiedsrichter/31661

That was disgraceful and disgusting, but holy shit Balogun and Weah are going to be such a nightmare for almost any team to deal with.  Our whole team looked dominant throughout most of the match aside from maybe McKennie who had a few sub par plays. 

Fuck bringing back Geregg though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that the original translation is “male whore who accepts money from male clients for sex.”

Men being their clients may have been unsaid, but understood.

I think that “puta” was just an abbreviation of “prostituta”.

A “puta”- a bitch (female dog) & a whore (prostitute) - gets penetrated during sex and thus…

so would a “puto”.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Mexico players and their fans are unsurprisingly not dealing well with the final realization that they are no longer kings of Concacrap and that the team for the next 2-3 years is going to be crap. They've been crap for a couple of years now, but this game killed any hope that they had.

Fuck Mexico soccer and their fans. Pussy ass bitches. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I never said that but knock yourself out. I remember making the point that it didn't matter who we called up because none of them were worth a shit. In fact I'm pretty sure I argued against someone saying what you're saying that I said. About how we could have Haaland or some such and it wouldn't matter because we wouldn't be able to get them the ball. 

I think your attributing someone else's takes to me. 

Found it in the 2022 thread - post 4454 on page 90 (I knew it was around the roster announcement). The specific quote was 

On 11/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, ztejas said:

Also - regardless of who is on the pitch our tactics are going to be shit and not conducive to average players making an impact.

THOUGH your general view was that those 9s were JAGs. Basically we are just hoping that whoever we put in that day works out. And your point now is that Balogun >>>> any of those 9s.

Getting back to this discussion, which is our Interims being better than Gregg - this is a hill I am willing to die on. They've been better. I can't recall a game we looked this good against Mexico. We were a lot more fluid and attacking last night. Just putting Reyna mid the midfield - something Gregg seemed to be very staunchly against because he couldn't break up MMA - just got this team on the front foot.

You said elsewhere that some of us were just going to hate the guy because it's him - that's not true. If he changed his scheme and tactically put our best players out there - I would be all for him. But I already know the next call up with our A team is going to see Reyna listed as a wing and it's going to take one of Pulisic, Reyna and Weah off the field and that's just braindead. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Montes getting his ass kicked by McKennie in the locker room after the game is the chef's kiss.

Unfortunately I think it’s fake news.  One of the reporters in Mexico ran with that tweet and was flamed for reporting false info.  Too bad.  Imagine if TA was out there.  

14 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Getting back to this discussion, which is our Interims being better than Gregg - this is a hill I am willing to die on. They've been better. I can't recall a game we looked this good against Mexico. We were a lot more fluid and attacking last night. Just putting Reyna mid the midfield - something Gregg seemed to be very staunchly against because he couldn't break up MMA - just got this team on the front foot.

You might be right. I'm just saying the sample sizes are completely different. If Greg puts Reyna at the 10 and Balogun at the 9 then I don't think there's much of a difference in how last night goes with him at the helm. The way we were attacking didn't seem all that different from last window. 

The good news is that this guy is likely going to remain on staff, and I'm assuming Greg watched the game last night. He'd have to be a really special type of retard - like, dumber than we think he is already - to not go back to that lineup. 

But then again I've seen him roll out some absolutely retarded formations so I guess we'll see. 

I love McKennie and what he has meant but presuming  Balogun is the real deal our best lineup is:

Balogun

Pulisic Reyna Weah

Adams Musah

Jedi Richards Robinson Dest

Turner 

I will be flexible on back line if others have preferences and I really hope Scally becomes a force.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Balogun

Pulisic Reyna Weah

Adams Musah

Jedi Richards Robinson Dest

Turner 

Homer Drool GIF

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I will be flexible on back line if others have preferences and I really hope Scally becomes a force.  

Nah that's the obvious 4 right now. Ream would be the only exception but he's aging out for '26 and hurt right now. We'll see if Gerg gives Zimmerman his job back.

this probably best describes the hesitation to berhalterball v. 1.2beta

There is ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING WAY GERGG trots out that lineup or tactical formation we saw last night that absolutely DOMINATED mexico to the point of provoking FOUR red cards and basically writing them off to 3rd or 4th place in CONCACRAP for the next decade. GERGGBALL would have started ferrera, zimmerman and an out of form Aaronson or maybe DeLaTorre (instead of reyna) and the play would be through the wings instead of through the middle. Gio did a masterful job as the 10 last night and the reason we played on the front foot for 90 mins. Just relentless. Even when we went through the wings, we would cut the ball into the box instead of swinging a ball into nobody (especially not 4'10" ferrera). That created at least two dangerous chances and all three goals. this move by USSF sucks man. Back to the stone ages.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 2

I also noticed on the very first play of the game how aggressive we'd be last night. We started with this play. GERGG would never. 

We also tactically did to Mexico in our defensive what Japan did to us in the pre-WC match. Just baited them out of their shape and played the double pivot up the pitch to exploit their spaces. Masterful tactical work by (I don't even remember the name of our temporary manager, but shit, sign him up!).

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Takes like this really do a poor job of remembering how infrequently our best players have actually all been available at the same time.

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

The craziest thing about bringing greggggggg back is that the team has looked MUCH better (albeit against worse competition) with his assistant coaches running the show. 

That says a lot, get out of these players way and let them play. But apparently the fed don't watch their team.  

or 

I don't think Berhalter should be the choice (he did well here but it takes more than that for me to think you get a 2nd cycle) and am worried about the coaching and player pool getting stale over a 2nd cycle but the things we've been doing in this interim period are based on Berhalter's system with his assistants running the show. The team performing well right now is not somehow proving that Berhalter = bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

There is ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING WAY GERGG trots out that lineup or tactical formation we saw last night that absolutely DOMINATED mexico to the point of provoking FOUR red cards and basically writing them off to 3rd or 4th place in CONCACRAP for the next decade. GERGGBALL would have started ferrera, zimmerman and an out of form Aaronson or maybe DeLaTorre (instead of reyna) and the play would be through the wings instead of through the middle. Gio did a masterful job as the 10 last night and the reason we played on the front foot for 90 mins. Just relentless. Even when we went through the wings, we would cut the ball into the box instead of swinging a ball into nobody (especially not 4'10" ferrera). That created at least two dangerous chances and all three goals. this move by USSF sucks man. Back to the stone ages.

Gerg started Reyna all the time before the WC drama when Reyna was trying to get back to match fitness. Y'all are just making up things to be upset about.

Gerg isn't incapable of rolling out that formation and lineup from last night, and as goatsaag said the dude from last night is remaining on staff. 

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We’ll see. I saw more attacking creativity last night than I feel like in the entire World Cup run

yeah, thats because GERGGS genius soccer brain is possession football, wait for your opponent to make a mistake, and drive it through the wings. Its 2002 soccer which were the best years of GERGGs life, so I see why he likes it. Its like the sad dad that can't get over Wilco.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Do y'all really think this dude with no high level managerial experience completely revamped our attack in one camp? We looked good because we had an actual 9 on the pitch and Reyna at the 10. It's that simple (and 2 mids vs 3).

The only question is whether he actually lines us up like that moving forward. 

Edited by ztejas