Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There was no point in making them switch. This track is extremely hard to pass. Cars could pass last year, but it’s much harder to follow this year, and it’s back to more of Monaco without walls like it used to be. Sainz was not going to get past Lewis, so they would’ve had to just swap back again causing them to lose more time. 

This track had the 6th most overtakes last year. What’s different this year?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The cars have added way more aero on the top of the cars this year compared to last year, which means more dirty air. There’s always the least amount of aero/dirty air in the first year of a regulation set. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Leclerc lost 7 seconds in the pit and another couple seconds being stuck behind a slower Sainz for the second stint. He could be challenging Piastri for fifth right now if Ferrari could just quit fucking up. I know they won’t, obviously, but still. 

How long is he under contract? Dude seems super super frustrated.

Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

McLaren’s best move all day was having Norris undercut Piastri. Fell bad for the rookie. Jobbed by his own team. 

Yeah, that team stuff does get tricky but, I think Norris has earned the #1 spot on the team. I also think they have a really nice thing going with both guys.

5 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m just amazed that Ferrari can suck so bad with tactics, communication and making changes on the fly.

Even when their car is slow AF, they still manage to cost themselves and Leclerc 4 points. Someone did the math last year and between reliability and strategy they caused Leclerc to lose about 180 points. Absolutely incredible how incompetent they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, deft said:

They got rid of mattia so it’ll be better this year right?

Right?

Binotto was part of the problem. They only hired Vasseur in January, so he wasn’t given much time to fix things this year. Supposedly next year they’ll have like 60 new people, so that should be the real test of whether Vasseur has made improvements. 

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Even when their car is slow AF, they still manage to cost themselves and Leclerc 4 points. Someone did the math last year and between reliability and strategy they caused Leclerc to lose about 180 points. Absolutely incredible how incompetent they are. 

The pit strategy team didn't cause Leclerc to speed in the pit lane today.

But yes, they seem to be a mess. The drivers sounds on the radio to have no confidence in the strategy, so they are now being asked what they want to do instead of being told the optimum strat. Now you have drivers not really just offering a voice in the say, but having to figure things out on their own it seems. Just the radio messages from drivers to the pit wall seem toxic. It doesn't help that the literal voice tone of whoever is on the pit wall just sounds cartoonish. "Uh, we are checking." 

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Danny had over 40 laps on the mediums at the end and he only increased the gap with the Haas behind. 

Not too bad

Would have liked to see what would happen if he didn't get caught up in the Lap 1 stuff. Likely not that much better, but at least a couple of spots?

31 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, that team stuff does get tricky but, I think Norris has earned the #1 spot on the team. I also think they have a really nice thing going with both guys.

I think it's official... I am not a Norris fan. I can't stand it when drivers whine/blow up at their race engineers when they haven't done anything wrong. Now if Norris was on Ferrari? Let loose on those guys.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think it's official... I am not a Norris fan. I can't stand it when drivers whine/blow up at their race engineers when they haven't done anything wrong. Now if Norris was on Ferrari? Let loose on those guys.

You’ve been saying this for three years, my dude. 

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Formula One Parody GIF by Mecanicus

As a team, they are broken.

25 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Actually a couple years ago you said you didn’t like him because he was racist against Indians. So maybe some progress? Still nonsensical, but approaching legitimacy. 

I know what you're referring to, but you purposely twisted it around. You do you.

Sorry I said I didn't like Lando.

Good to see Danny back. Getting mixed up in the first corner shenanigans, dropping to dead last then doing 40 laps on hard and finishing back to P13 was solid. Russel climbing his way from P18 to P6 was also cool to watch. Felt like Russel or Lando should have gotten DOTD.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Levi said:

Good to see Danny back. Getting mixed up in the first corner shenanigans, dropping to dead last then doing 40 laps on hard and finishing back to P13 was solid. Russel climbing his way from P18 to P6 was also cool to watch. Felt like Russel or Lando should have gotten DOTD.  

I don't understand the logic behind Perez winning DotD (he's done it a few times in this same manner, IIRC). Is it really that skillful to have the best car by miles and chew up a bunch of slow cars that, other than Alonso, don't even bother putting up a fight because your car is so much better? And you're only in that position because you consistently blow it during qualifying?

Agreed it should have been Lando or Russell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Pretty fun to think that was a 240hp car, max. 4 cylinder Mustangs have 320hp now.

Heck yeah. My '98 911 only has 282 but, a top-speed of 171 mph, and weighs just over 3,100 pounds.

I think the first year of Magnum the car was a 1978, and it had about 225 horsepower but, it did not weigh 3,000 pounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

I don't understand the logic behind Perez winning DotD (he's done it a few times in this same manner, IIRC). Is it really that skillful to have the best car by miles and chew up a bunch of slow cars that, other than Alonso, don't even bother putting up a fight because your car is so much better? And you're only in that position because you consistently blow it during qualifying?

I always think DOTD is a popularly contest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Levi said:

*Mediums. My bad. 

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

It’s like the fans felt bad and thought he deserved it after Horner’s comments. Perez finishing where he supposed to? Congrats! 

44 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I always think DOTD is a popularly contest. 

I'd wager it goes to whoever improved their starting position the most 90% of the time. So they may as well rename it after Checo at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Only got like 20 percent of votes they said so lots of folks got votes.

34 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'd wager it goes to whoever improved their starting position the most 90% of the time. So they may as well rename it after Checo at this point. 

Progress! He made it to q3 in the clearly best car on the grid.

And would have been passed by Lewis if there were like 3 more laps lol

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I guess there is a strategy to not qualifying where the vehicle is capable of qualifying. 

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

Lando broke Max’s 40k euro trophy during the champagne celebration. F1 Reddit says he’s knocked over his trophy on 2-3 other celebrations but since this one was porcelain it broke.

Yeah $45K and apparently it took someone 6 months to make. Someone gotta be piiiiiissed.

Random thoughts ...

- WTF was Danica wearing?

- I don't even typically like blondes but who is the blonde AM photographer next to Fernando's car in the garage? :jizzinmypants:

- Strahan is a giant & seems like a genuinely good dude. He also looks like he could still hurt people on the football field.

- Ferrari also seems to have lost out a bit on the tire change.

- Lewis always seems so clueless in the car.

- LMAO at Torger Wolff crying about RBR making the others look like F2 cars.

- Pretty dull race. On to Spa. Hopefull it'll be better.

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Some of the teams cried long enough and loud enough that the FIA let them start re-introducing outwash aero components that adversely affect close following by cars behind. So, you know, fuck the racing, and fuck the fans.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-teams-are-pushing-back-against-f1s-bid-to-stop-outwash/10438248/

Edited by wood