Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

13 hours ago, Viking said:

Here's a great video about the first 10 minutes of Zandvoort with lots of driver/team chatter. It's amazing so many teams dismissed the drivers feedback. 

It's because the drivers are the Boy Who Cried Wolf.  Everything is always a problem with them.  It has to be hard for the teams to know when something is actually a real issue.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Viking said:

Here's a great video about the first 10 minutes of Zandvoort with lots of driver/team chatter. It's amazing so many teams dismissed the drivers feedback. 

Bottas was really pushing for inters from the get to.  His race would have gone quite differently if the team had listened.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:03 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

So since it's the offseason, I watched a 10 minute highlight replay of the 1984 Grand Prix in Dallas. Holy shit, the sport has come a long way. What a shitshow.

For one, they were just setup under tents in the pits. Second, they ran it on July 9, 1984 when it was 100 degrees. The track was literally coming apart when they put last-minute in patches in corners. Nigel Mansell's car stopped just before the finish line and he started to push it over the line and collapsed. Cars would die and they literally just parked them on the side of the track and kept the race going. Shit was wild. 

A couple of pics of mine from the race

Flames.jpg

KeKe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Isn't that how we all thought it would go as soon as Daddy Stroll signed up Fernando? He's paying him $$$ to shove his son in a locker every Sunday.  But at least Fernando shares his brake settings first.

Do  they have one of those for every team? I bet Checo doesn't want to see the RBR one...

3 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Isn't that how we all thought it would go as soon as Daddy Stroll signed up Fernando? He's paying him $$$ to shove his son in a locker every Sunday.  But at least Fernando shares his brake settings first.

Do  they have one of those for every team? I bet Checo doesn't want to see the RBR one...

There were others, but not sure if they had every team. I think they had RBR. 

I'm looking for options.  It looks like there's not currently a free trial on F1TV but it's only $10/month so I could do it for a month to bridge, what is hopefully, a short gap.  

And honestly, since I seldom watch Euro races or sessions live, I could just go with the $3/month option that gives me replays.

BUT, that doesn't solve my college football problems.

Does anyone use YouTube TV for ESPN and sports?  If so, does it have to be live, or are replays available?  It looks like I could get a short free trial on Youtube TV that would cover the weekend anyway.

Edited by utee94

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Does anyone use YouTube TV for ESPN and sports?  If so, does it have to be live, or are replays available?  It looks like I could get a short free trial on Youtube TV that would cover the weekend anyway.

Definitely do the free YouTubeTV trial to get you through this weekend and see how you like it.  I have YTTV and absolutely LOVE it; I'll never go back.  Fuck cable and fuck DTV.

No, you don't have to be live.  You can set it to "Record all F1 events," and they'll be there.  Every FP, every quali, every race.  It will record replays as well, at which point you can select whether you want to watch the "live" race that aired on ESPN2 or the replay.  You can also do this for specific sports teams (Texas football, basketball) or leagues (NFL, CFB, etc. This one is the way to go.)

One dwnside is YTTV doesn't have Ballys Sports (not sure if Spectrum did).

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh, and one especially awesome feature: YTTV will record the full event without you telling it to record longer, so you don't have to worry about rain delays like last weekend or CFB games that seemingly last 4.5 hours nowadays.

Not last race. Ended at 2 hours.

On 9/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, Dutch said:

Definitely do the free YouTubeTV trial to get you through this weekend and see how you like it.  I have YTTV and absolutely LOVE it; I'll never go back.  Fuck cable and fuck DTV.

No, you don't have to be live.  You can set it to "Record all F1 events," and they'll be there.  Every FP, every quali, every race.  It will record replays as well, at which point you can select whether you want to watch the "live" race that aired on ESPN2 or the replay.  You can also do this for specific sports teams (Texas football, basketball) or leagues (NFL, CFB, etc. This one is the way to go.)

One dwnside is YTTV doesn't have Ballys Sports (not sure if Spectrum did).

Yeah that's the only drawback for me. When I want to watch Stars or Astros games it's been a stream or nothing for me. But then just the other day my neighbor across the street logged me into her mom's DirecTV account, which should solve both problems. /csb