Oklahoma Recruiting 2024: Sunken Eyes and Licking Lips

Constant

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I just don’t want to see B. Thompson have a great year. That would suck. 

He will have a great year. Gavin and Drake are his competition, and the sooner's schedule is trash. However, he won't have the kind of great year that Worthy, AD, Neyor, or JWhitt will have. Which is why his second-tier ass left. 

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

ou will look fine this year simply because their schedule is absolute ass. They dodge everyone at the top of the Big 12 except us. Fortunately that will build false hope and confidence there, and then when the SEC grind begins they will be truly fucked. 

OU's defense is going to look like Lahaina this year. 

Too soon? 

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

On 8/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, tejas60 said:

if Gavin Freeman has any kind of decent game against TEXAS this year, I will come back here and neg you fucks to bolivia.

Catalon will murder that goofy bitch if Ant Hill doesn’t first. Hope he tries that little hurdle the first time he touches the ball 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So these idiots jumped into the Jayden Jackson recruitment and matched his camp's ask in ways no one else was willing to do so because, while the guy is a good prospect, he's not an elite prospect.

Now, Nwaneri was offered something absurd by Missouri at the last minute and OU, who he favored, doesn't have the ability to match unless something happens in the next hour. They went all-in on a decent prospect to big dick Texas and Ohio State who both said "good luck with aaaaalllll that" and now they're losing the kind of 5star DL that Venables in order to run his defense. Hahahahaha.

That is exactly why you don't match an unrealistic ask from someone. You need the dry powder for the elite guys and chicanery that follows their recruitments.

Brent_Venables_Signing_Dayslomo.gif.ef61b24349d3502c40cd8e665b24f2d7.gif

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So these idiots jumped into the Jayden Jackson recruitment and matched his camp's ask in ways no one else was willing to do so because, while the guy is a good prospect, he's not an elite prospect.

Now, Nwaneri was offered something absurd by Missouri at the last minute and OU, who he favored, doesn't have the ability to match unless something happens in the next hour. They went all-in on a decent prospect to big dick Texas and Ohio State who both said "good luck with aaaaalllll that" and now they're losing the kind of 5star DL that Venables in order to run his defense. Hahahahaha.

That is exactly why you don't match an unrealistic ask from someone. You need the dry powder for the elite guys and chicanery that follows their recruitments.

brent-venables.gif

the venables way.

also, yikes. was he always ranked this low?

image.png.d26f8e7569dc3d9caafb3d1352c3adbc.png

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I see that Nwaneri was Fong'ed to Mizzou. Does that give them less ammunition for Wingo?

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

brent-venables.gif

the venables way.

also, yikes. was he always ranked this low?

image.png.d26f8e7569dc3d9caafb3d1352c3adbc.png

He's better than that, but yeah, he's ranked poorly. Texas, Ohio State, and OU all badly wanted the guy, so I'll argue he's probably more like a top 250 guy than a top 500 guy. OU is treating him like a top 25 guy though. 

11 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I see that Nwaneri was Fong'ed to Mizzou. Does that give them less ammunition for Wingo?

No clue. I think part of why Wingo is waiting until December 20th is that he wants to see the various teams on the field this season. Mizzou had to promise Burden the moon and stars in order for him to keep from transferring. I'm guessing if they feature him and he has a big year, they'll use that in their efforts with Wingo.

Texas can offer early PT to Wingo as well. I'm sure they have already made that clear. They've got a great shot of having two WRs drafted high and two others who could get drafted later. They're likely pushing that too.

All that considered, it's WR. There will be more high quality WRs in the portal than any other position in this next cycle, just as was the case last cycle.

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No clue. I think part of why Wingo is waiting until December 20th is that he wants to see the various teams on the field this season. Mizzou had to promise Burden the moon and stars in order for him to keep from transferring. I'm guessing if they feature him and he has a big year, they'll use that in their efforts with Wingo.

Texas can offer early PT to Wingo as well. I'm sure they have already made that clear. They've got a great shot of having two WRs drafted high and two others who could get drafted later. They're likely pushing that too.

All that considered, it's WR. There will be more high quality WRs in the portal than any other position in this next cycle, just as was the case last cycle.

being kind they were NOT good offensively last year across the board. OFEI has them as literally one step in front of Texas A&M (#74 vs A&M at #75)

they haven't been great offensively anyway with Drink there, #51 in OFEI in 2020, #60 in 2021 and then #74 last year doesn't exactly show progress. doesn't exactly have a long history of incredible success as an OC either. 2 good years at NC State, last in 2018. then ~50 at App State.

i wish him the best of luck, and there is way more than scheme that goes into a recruitment but Texas shouldn't lose that one if scheme matters at all. They return something like 4 of their top 5 WR next year too - including a name i haven't heard in a long time: Mookie Cooper. quick look at his 247 timeline shows him as having been committed for less than a month, i thought it was longer but nope.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He's better than that, but yeah, he's ranked poorly. Texas, Ohio State, and OU all badly wanted the guy, so I'll argue he's probably more like a top 250 guy than a top 500 guy. OU is treating him like a top 25 guy though. 

Jackson is the only composite 4* commit to them so far at OL/DL/EDGE.  Yikes.

46 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That sounds a lot like Charlie’s 2015 class. Venables actually reminds me quite a bit of Strong. Long-time, respected DC who took a long time to get a HC job, and looks like he’s in way over his head. 

Somehow Venables managed to be magnitudes worse on defense in Year 1 than Strong. The only positive difference I see is that Lebby was a much better OC hire than ole 59 yards in a bowl game.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

9 of their 19 commits currently sit outside the top 500 of the On3 composite.

The rankings of their current OL commits are #569, #715 and #1536. Last cycle their OL signees were #95, #458, #464 and #583.

It's even worse at DL and Edge. Only guy in the current class 500 or above is Jayden Jackson. Last cycle they got Adebawore and basically nothing. Their second highest DL last cycle already left the program.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Life comes at you pretty fast

20230815_131849.jpg

I didn't realize that it's the 995ers responsibility to "Do everything he could on this one." Maybe he went to the Clemson school of 995ering. 

Also  apparently went to the Nahlin Night School of 995, and he just "didn't appreciate the kid."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 5

Just now, closetojumping said:

There is a thread on one of their On3 forums that was written a week or two ago about all of the 5 stars they're going to land in August and it is just delicious.

https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/august-could-be-a-5-star-month-for-sooners.1023913/

Reminds me of that Aggie list where they ended up with only David Hicks lol

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Per @Longhornfrenzy Thune is posting all of this from his honeymoon in Hawaii

F3mNuY4XYAA0PLM?format=webp&name=large

I've gotta tell you, people often have resorted to the "You wouldn't say that to my face" defense, and I must say there are quite a few people in this life that have been surprised by exactly what I am in fact willing to say to their faces. Unfortunately for my wife and sometimes my friends, they are no longer all that surprised. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've gotta tell you, people often have resorted to the "You wouldn't say that to my face" defense, and I must say there are quite a few people in this life that have been surprised by exactly what I am in fact willing to say to their faces. Unfortunately for my wife and sometimes my friends, they are no longer all that surprised. 

If that's him in his avatar, I'm curious if there's anybody that would be scared to say something to his face.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can say that we're not normally surprised, but embarrassed is altogether a different thing.

I'm just glad the UFC fighter that you told to get fucked last year in Vegas, without even catching a glimpse of what he looked like directly behind where you were seated, decided not to put you in the hospital and force the rest of us to call your next of kin and explain shit.

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can say that we're not normally surprised, but embarrassed is altogether a different thing.

I'm just glad the UFC fighter that you told to get fucked last year in Vegas, without even catching a glimpse of what he looked like directly behind where you were seated, decided not to put you in the hospital and force the rest of us to call your next of kin and explain shit.

I knew you’d post this in response. I was tempted to write it all out for you. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Who is this all star QB they speak of?

Jackson Arnold. If I would have to bet today, I would say the kid is going to be pretty good. I don't know about program defining good, but I think he will definitely be an upgrade over what they have in place right now. 

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

If that's him in his avatar, I'm curious if there's anybody that would be scared to say something to his face.

Oh, I found the one guy who would be scared to say something to his face.

(Colt McCoy agrees with me, btw.)

image.jpeg.7891fef9f0b4ba5dfd7088b233af9cf1.jpeg

I’m going to assume this is some Tom Herman burnt toast and runny egg bullshit to try and light a fire under his WR room. 
Exac-fuckin-ly the same thought that popped in my head.

It's either that or Venables is a giant imbecile that has no business being a HFC of a p5 team.