Conservatives (GOP) have a Millennials Problem

The Dog

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

2022 Trump supporter equals honorary Aggy.  Moose out front and all. 

I mean we have an Aggie here who isn’t an Aggie that way and it makes your head spin to hear him rant about equality and shit. Trump and Aggie go together like bears shitting in the woods.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Remember everyone: the dude talking about how incredibly easy it is to make it in America is the same one that will never, ever vote for a Democrat because he's petrified that a theoretical 2% drop in the O&G bottom line will get his hilariously expendable ass canned, and he's not qualified to work in any other industry that will provide him the lifestyle that he's grown accustomed to.

Being an Aggie, I know a lot of dudes EXACTLY like you.

Wait, I thought it was guns?  Y’all need to make up your mind.  I haven’t not been employed a single day since I started in this industry, and everyone’s expendable, so I guess just a 🍀 stuck deep up in my ass somewhere. 

And of course you do.  But you’re so different, that your username is your school and the year you graduated.  Similar to a dozen king ranch 250’s that roll around the hood here.  I only hope you can see the irony of me associating myself with a supposed piece of shit, “racist”organization that’s never done anything good for anyone, Mr.  @aggie08

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You get why that's my username, right? I wanted the most obvious, unimaginative moniker possible. I could have made it something generic or clever and most probably wouldn't even realize where I went to school. But I'm not embarrassed to be an Aggie...I'm embarrassed as shit of the Texags racist (no quotations necessary) boomers--and those like them--but I don't apologize for them or keep voting them into public office. Your mileage may vary.

And, more importantly and funny only to me, every time I dunk on someone on here, I want them to know it was by a fucking aggy.

Olenna Tyrell Meme GIF

Oh, that makes sense.  After all, when I think of clever posters who continually dunk on people, it’s definitely you.  Boomers aren’t the ones putting pennies at Suls feet, in case you’re wondering.  

Anyhow, back to the premise of the thread.  Society is going to continue to become more liberal as we “advance”, that’s a simple fact.   It should be no surprise that the more conservative party will face struggles as this happens.  They’ll adapt, and more conservative Demorcrats will take those R seats.   Like Romney or McCain, for example.  Over time, we’ll end up with the R’s who are today’s D’s and the progressive party that trend further left.   All this should do is encourage much more focus on tax sheltering. 

edit: or we get another Civil War. But I’m guessing that never happens. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

As a member of the political and ethnic persuasion doing the shooting, you have the luxury of lying to yourself and saying that the civil war hasn’t already begun. As a member of one of the groups that has already been targeted and is still being targeted for violence by members of your team, I can tell you that the civil war has been going on for years, with MAGAs on the move.
Stack of dead beaners in an El Paso Wal-Marr shoulda told ya.
Stacks of dead black people in a Buffalo grocery store shoulda told ya.
Stacks of dead Jews in a Pittsburgh synagogue shoulda told ya.
Trashed US Capitol with Congressmen fleeing for their lives as MAGAs openly sought to kill them to overturn an election shoulda told ya.
But you’re not in the crosshairs on any of those counts, so you don’t care.

Which takes us right back to the problem that millennials have figured out. In a healthy, functioning society, you should be as angry and spurred to action by things that harm your fellow humans as if those things harmed you. Thinking of “we” instead of only “me.” When 30 people are murdered in a Wal Mart, you should think that WE were attacked, not that THEY were attacked. Millennials think that way. That’s a big reason they think conservatives are shit.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As a member of the political and ethnic persuasion doing the shooting, you have the luxury of lying to yourself and saying that the civil war hasn’t already begun. As a member of one of the groups that has already been targeted and is still being targeted for violence by members of your team, I can tell you that the civil war has been going on for years, with MAGAs on the move.
Trashed US Capitol with Congressmen fleeing for their lives as MAGAs openly sought to kill them to overturn an election shoulda told ya.

Which takes us right back to the problem that millennials have figured out. In a healthy, functioning society, you should be as angry and spurred to action by things that harm your fellow humans as if those things harmed you. Thinking of “we” instead of only “me.” When 30 people are murdered in a Wal Mart, you should think that WE were attacked, not that THEY were attacked. Millennials think that way. That’s a big reason they think conservatives are shit.

Single maniacs do not make a party.  Good scapegoat though.  

Pretty much every school shooting in how long has been by a millennial or younger?  Fuck millennials?  Am I doing that right? 

• Fuck You 2

Single maniacs do not make a party.  Good scapegoat though.  

Pretty much every school shooting in how long has been by a millennial or younger?  Fuck millennials?  Am I doing that right? 

No, single maniacs don’t make a party.
The entire party apparatus, including the “most watched” news network that eggs every one of those maniacs on with stochastic terrorism, openly demonizing non-white Christians as evil enemies of the state who must be dealt with…well, the way that you deal with evil enemies of the state, THAT makes the party.
Turn on FOX for 10 minutes. MAGA blames browns, blacks, gays, and Jews for everything wrong in this country (even worse, FOX MAKES UP shit to be “wrong”), and then relentlessly says that the threat they present is existential.
If FOX News was Muslim, and was taking that exact approach with respect to white Americans, you’d have already been cheering a drone strike on their HQ by now.
If the Jan 6 terrorist masses had instead been Muslims doing the exact same thing, declaring that they were there to do Allah’s will and install a president anointed by Allah, you’d have been down there yourself, shooting those terrorist bastards where they stood (which is indeed what they deserved).
Your party is as much a terrorist organization as Al Qaeda. The “single maniacs” weren’t born: they were MADE. By your party, its mouthpieces, and their terrorist rhetoric.
You can sit there and deny it all day long. It don’t make a shit. The millennials and Gen Z figured it out, saw what has happened in real time, and know EXACTLY how and why it happened. Your attempts to convince yourself that you have no responsibility for supporting a terrorist movement probably aren’t even convincing you very well…they sure as shit aren’t convincing the next generations AT ALL.
  • Hook 'Em 9

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Being born in US is closer to second than third. Other than that, not really.  

Wrong, hell I was practically born on third. 

white, parents college educated, grew up in a good school district, parents expected college.  That alone put me on a path that many even in the US don’t get to walk. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, troph said:

Wrong, hell I was practically born on third. 

white, parents college educated, grew up in a good school district, parents expected college.  That alone put me on a path that many even in the US don’t get to walk. 

Guess i have you one better on the privelege scale: male +1, one college educated parent -1, private school education +1.

I *now* know what my lot in life afforded me. I don't use it as a crutch or a platform. I just use it, at least i hope i do. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

Guess i have you one better on the privelege scale: male +1, one college educated parent -1, private school education +1.
I *now* know what my lot in life afforded me. I don't use it as a crutch or a platform. I just use it, at least i hope i do. 

Exactly. Plenty (most) of us here had some advantage or another. It’s nothing to apologize for or feel guilty about. But it is something to be realized and acknowledged, precisely so we DON’T judge anyone who had lesser advantages for not achieving as much as we have. And then…and here’s the hard part….to whom much has been given, much will be required.
The funny thing is, it’s precisely because not that much has been given to the millennial generation and gen Z that they are mindful of the need to give a shit about others.
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's not a civil war. That's just life in America.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly. Plenty (most) of us here had some advantage or another. It’s nothing to apologize for or feel guilty about. But it is something to be realized and acknowledged, precisely so we DON’T judge anyone who had lesser advantages for not achieving as much as we have. 

People who are insecure have a very hard time with this. They can only understand them having advantages that others do not as an attack on their worth, and this is why even moderately intelligent people like many of our friends here are turned into fools.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

People who are insecure have a very hard time with this. They can only understand them having advantages that others do not as an attack on their worth, and this is why even moderately intelligent people like many of our friends here are turned into fools.

Yep. It’s exactly the same phenomenon as Hollywood Nepo Babies. An article about that went viral last week and some of the nepo babies in question got REAL defensive about how it wasn’t their parental connections that made them famous and landed them big gigs.

I’m sure most of them did work hard but they refuse to acknowledge that having, say Goldie Hawn as a parent, gives a person a multitude of advantages and a giant leg up over every actor with normie parents. The connections and guidance of knowing how the industry works not to mention the safety net of being able to take acting classes and devote all your time to auditioning and networking without having to work a shit job to live until you can make a living off only acting.

White Americans have privilege. Period. A poor White single mother may not feel privileged compared to a rich White woman but that’s apples to oranges. Compare her to a poor Black or Hispanic single mother - THAT’S where the privilege comes into play.

It’s a difficult conversation to have because to a certain type of person it FEELS personal. When in reality it’s about American systems and institutions and race.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Yep. It’s exactly the same phenomenon as Hollywood Nepo Babies. An article about that went viral last week and some of the nepo babies in question got REAL defensive about how it wasn’t their parental connections that made them famous and landed them big gigs.

I’m sure most of them did work hard but they refuse to acknowledge that having, say Goldie Hawn as a parent, gives a person a multitude of advantages and a giant leg up over every actor with normie parents. The connections and guidance of knowing how the industry works not to mention the safety net of being able to take acting classes and devote all your time to auditioning and networking without having to work a shit job to live until you can make a living off only acting.

White Americans have privilege. Period. A poor White single mother may not feel privileged compared to a rich White woman but that’s apples to oranges. Compare her to a poor Black or Hispanic single mother - THAT’S where the privilege comes into play.

It’s a difficult conversation to have because to a certain type of person it FEELS personal. When in reality it’s about American systems and institutions and race.

Yep. And that fact doesn’t take away from their hard work, talent, etc.
Put me at Everest base camp, and I still have to bust my ass to get to the summit.
But put someone else in Dicklick, Alabama, with no money, and tell THEM to summit Everest, and their task is a lot harder.
That doesn’t take anything away from my work and effort to get to the summit; many people who get to base camp never get to the top. If I got to the summit, I damn well worked hard and earned it. But I still had an advantage, and what that means is that I shouldn’t just disdainfully look down at the poor kid from Dicklick as I stand on the summit and say “I got here, you can too, it just takes hard work. If you don’t make it up here, it’s all your fault.” That’s just fucking assholery.
That doesn’t mean that I have an obligation to charter a chopper for them to give them a lift to the summit, but maybe it means that I have an obligation to work to ensure that the systems that helped get me to base camp are equally available to them (decent education, basic nutrition, a safe neighborhood, etc). Because it’s just and right, and because we’re all in this together, and we have PROVEN that we’re better off as a whole when we provide systems that help do so (the irony - when people talk about “making America great again,” that’s what they’re actually longing for: a sense of commonwealth, and investment in society, like funding great universities and building the integrated highway system).
It’s not rocket science. Millennials and Zoomers aren’t geniuses, they just see the obvious staring them in the face.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The night before a mitral valve transplant at age 87 (great work VA Death Panel! He lived to be 100!) I asked my Grandfather how he felt about his life.

He told me that he felt like he succeeded in life, because none of his kids or grandchildren or their kids would ever pull a tow sack through a cotton field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

The night before a mitral valve transplant at age 87 (great work VA Death Panel! He lived to be 100!) I asked my Grandfather how he felt about his life.
He told me that he felt like he succeeded in life, because none of his kids or grandchildren or their kids would ever pull a tow sack through a cotton field.

Not that working an honest day’s labor wouldn’t do you some good, slacker.
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think lots of people would be more willing to accept how lucky they are by virtue of their birth circumstances if it was phrased differently. The just being white part can't really work like that, but my privilege is because of my mother being a badass.

She was a Mexican-American born in Schertz and raised in Universal City. Her mother was a maid and she grew up with literal dirt floors and an outhouse. Her parents told her to give up on education and take the maid gig. She refused, taught her own parents English, graduated from the University of Texas after transferring from SAC, eventually started her own business and was the greatest human ever (no bias) before cancer took her at age 47. She met my dad at UT and together they afforded me and my brother with every advantage they could from both the starting line and the parental expectation perspective

My father was a Chem plant worker, then manager and director for 45 years. My mother was a retail assistant store manager for a very good company. 

Where and who you are born to, matters greatly in life 

My father was a Chem plant worker, then manager and director for 45 years. My mother was a retail assistant store manager for a very good company. 

Where and who you are born to, matters greatly in life 

Gosh. You don’t sound very bootstrappy. The kid being raised as one of 3 kids of a single mom abandoned by her man, who only occasionally has a full nutritious meal, goes to a school where his fellow students are more interested in getting into trouble than learning, in a state that doesn’t provide higher ed finding worth a shit, well, he should just work hard like you surely did, and he’ll be just as successful. If you did it, so can he.
Throw in any number of other curve balls: a parent dies suddenly, or is an addict, or the family just suffers a huge financial calamity (with no other family to bail them out) and ends up homeless, or on another precarious living situation, or the kid simply lives in a neighborhood/community where there are few models of success, etc.
I worked hard. But otherwise, I hit the fucking lotto. I was born smart, with parents who nurtured that and sacrificed for my education. They stayed together, and provided me a safe home with food and clothes. They introduced me to examples of success, and role models. They sacrificed to send me to a great high school, where my peer group was future leaders and professionals. UT invested in me for 7 years. Goddamn, I hit it big. Why is it wrong to acknowledge that any ONE of those gave me advantages over others?
Oh, and my parents? Mom was a child of abuse and alcoholics, and was on welfare for a good part of her childhood (but…some good people got involved in her life, and made sure her mom had a good job, and they gave her things that she couldn’t otherwise get). My dad went to college because he was lucky enough to have a high school teacher show him that he could. And then, when he was at college and a hailstorm took out the family cotton crop, my grandmother took a job in a dress shop to make up the difference and keep him in school.
I come from a line of sacrifices, kindness, and generosity, and luck. What kind of a fucking asshole would I be if I didn’t acknowledge that and try to spread some of my good fortune to others who didn’t hit my lucky numbers?
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gosh. You don’t sound very bootstrappy. The kid being raised as one of 3 kids of a single mom abandoned by her man, who only occasionally has a full nutritious meal, goes to a school where his fellow students are more interested in getting into trouble than learning, in a state that doesn’t provide higher ed finding worth a shit, well, he should just work hard like you surely did, and he’ll be just as successful. If you did it, so can he.
Throw in any number of other curve balls: a parent dies suddenly, or is an addict, or the family just suffers a huge financial calamity (with no other family to bail them out) and ends up homeless, or on another precarious living situation, or the kid simply lives in a neighborhood/community where there are few models of success, etc.
I worked hard. But otherwise, I hit the fucking lotto. I was born smart, with parents who nurtured that and sacrificed for my education. They stayed together, and provided me a safe home with food and clothes. They introduced me to examples of success, and role models. They sacrificed to send me to a great high school, where my peer group was future leaders and professionals. UT invested in me for 7 years. Goddamn, I hit it big. Why is it wrong to acknowledge that any ONE of those gave me advantages over others?
Oh, and my parents? Mom was a child of abuse and alcoholics, and was on welfare for a good part of her childhood (but…some good people got involved in her life, and made sure her mom had a good job, and they gave her things that she couldn’t otherwise get). My dad went to college because he was lucky enough to have a high school teacher show him that he could. And then, when he was at college and a hailstorm took out the family cotton crop, my grandmother took a job in a dress shop to make up the difference and keep him in school.
I come from a line of sacrifices, kindness, and generosity, and luck. What kind of a fucking asshole would I be if I didn’t acknowledge that and try to spread some of my good fortune to others who didn’t hit my lucky numbers?

we never had HBO growing up. shit sucked 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The day is yet young.

• Haha 1

First off, there are no longer any "Conservatives" in the GOP.  They borrow and spend more than Dems. They don't build nor fund infrastructure. They don't fund the maintenance of existing structure. Apparently you are now a "Conservative" in the GOP... If you can spell the word?

I think the main thing millennials see from the GOP is that Republican "freedoms" always seems to come at a price of potentially hurting somebody else's freedom. Look at the GOP's focus on homosexuality and transgender children. Or on impoverished immigrants.  The only truth forever about the Republican Party is they always punch down. And never providing legislation with any chance of passing on any important issue.

Unless the GOP can get millennials to start watching FOX News propaganda with their grandparents all day long, not much hope for this generation to start shifting to a party that embraces racism and bigotry.  When you see flare maps, understand that the GOP gets a lot of money from the Oil and Gas industry and the GOP is a corrupt entity.  Thus no need to even glance at flaring, and the assorted light and air pollution.  Just cash the checks, and blame renewables when Oil and Gas fails in the snowpocolypse.

If there was such a think as a conservative Republican, it might be different.  But conservative now is a lot more likely to mean racist, or bigoted than anything to do with fiscal responsibility. And millennials see that. 

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Millennial here with the best kind of evidence, anecdotal evidence.

I'm in a group text with 5 other Millennials and we break down to :

5 white, 1 hispanic

4 male, 2 female

All 6 with undergrad degrees, 3 postgrads 

5 raised church going, 1 nominally Catholic (interestingly enough none are weekly churchgoers now)

All 6 from Texas towns between 3,000 and 200,000 people

All 6 are married to a person of the opposite sex and owns their home

2020 brokedown to:

5 votes for Biden, 1 would've voted Trump but he isn't even registered. That can't be good for a party that generally likes white people from Texas that are from cities <250,000 people and were raised in the church.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also in fairness to Republican Economic Trickle Down policies. They probably did work at least to some degree up until probably 1950. 

But unless you are 90+ years old you have never seen a GOP tax cut that created more revenue than it took off the table.  You have never seen a GOP tax cut that created the number of jobs predicted (even remotely). What you have seen is a massive shift to a smaller concentration of wealth into fewer and fewer hands. 

• Like 1

My demographics all point toward being a R voter, except that I live in Austin. Everything else should point toward voting Republican.

Ain't happening. Republicans are fine with things like Trump, January 6th, and Uvalde happening.

18 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Also in fairness to Republican Economic Trickle Down policies. They probably did work at least to some degree up until probably 1950. 

But unless you are 90+ years old you have never seen a GOP tax cut that created more revenue than it took off the table.  You have never seen a GOP tax cut that created the number of jobs predicted (even remotely). What you have seen is a massive shift to a smaller concentration of wealth into fewer and fewer hands. 

However, with the new deal, you did see massive job creation. So much so that many were just excuses to pay a wage and led to acronyms like WPA to be altered to We Piddle Around. 

but it worked. People filled those jobs, got paid for some labor whether road building or whatever else, and the economy started to get righted.  But it was government handouts in essence. 

and of course nothing provided jobs and economic jumpstart like the largest military industrial ramp up in history. That for sure helped, as they kind of blended together.  Still government money at the end of the day though, finding it all. 

but I think the perceived inequity of it regionally and locally helped drive the shift towards corporate America. 

my grandmother commonly complained that Tennessee got free electricity because of the TVA. There was backlash. 

and in the 50s, men were earning good wages and companies were doing well, so people trusted them more than the government. Especially after things like the red scare, and the federal government taking more steps with civil rights that a large segment were not fond of. 

that’s what boomers grew up in. They hoard money, revere corporate culture, distrust government. So they vote conservative. Yuppie culture. 

X were heavily influenced by their parents. 

It’s taken until millennials to have a healthy distrust of corporate America, and to see the government as the safety net and not the job and pension, since there aren’t many jobs anymore that have good pay AND a pension. 

and the civil rights struggle has continued but changed into a basic human rights struggle. 

I brisket’d this post up with verbosity, none of it researched or well thought out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 12:03 PM, Gatorubet said:

2022 Trump supporter equals honorary Aggy.  Moose out front and all. 

You would think that aligning himself politically with the single biggest group of fucking dipshits on the planet might give flatty pause. But nope, he's all in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

5 white, 1 hispanic

4 male, 2 female

5 raised church going, 1 nominally Catholic (interestingly enough none are weekly churchgoers now)

2020 brokedown to:

5 votes for Biden, 1 would've voted Trump but he isn't even registered. That can't be good for a party that generally likes white people from Texas that are from cities <250,000 people and were raised in the church.

That's not really surprising, due to the education levels. 

If you did that same demo breakout with 6 people with only hs degrees, I'd guess 4 out of 5 times the vote would break to dotard.  

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That's not really surprising, due to the education levels. 

If you did that same demo breakout with 6 people with only hs degrees, I'd guess 4 out of 5 times the vote would break to dotard.  

Yup that's the key differentiator but our demographic would've been "Reagan Republicans" in the previous generation. All but one set of parents in that group has degrees and only the uneducated hispanic immigrant would ever vote for a Democrat. 

First, I want to say great thread. 

On 12/31/2022 at 5:23 PM, fattyflattie said:

Oh, that makes sense.  After all, when I think of clever posters who continually dunk on people, it’s definitely you.  Boomers aren’t the ones putting pennies at Suls feet, in case you’re wondering.  

Anyhow, back to the premise of the thread.  Society is going to continue to become more liberal as we “advance”, that’s a simple fact.   It should be no surprise that the more conservative party will face struggles as this happens.  They’ll adapt, and more conservative Demorcrats will take those R seats.   Like Romney or McCain, for example.  Over time, we’ll end up with the R’s who are today’s D’s and the progressive party that trend further left.   All this should do is encourage much more focus on tax sheltering. 

Arent they? Is that only because they're fucking boomers and not in college anymore, and people put pennies at Sul's feet for good luck before tests? So what's your point. Boomers were certainly the ones showing up asking if the players were Aggies or Blaggies. What a stupid statement. "Listen, guys, Boomers aren't the ones listening to K-pop." NO FUCKING SHIT, THEY'RE BOOMERS.

But the second bolded statement is the real winner here. When your answer to ANYTHING is "Well, we need to find more tax shelters" let me tell you, you're either a criminal looking to save your ill-gotten gains, or you're just a heartless shitbag who cares about money above all us. Or in the case of a lot of "republicans," you're both. ?How is the logical response to ANYTHING "I'm going to need more tax shelters?!?!"

On 1/2/2023 at 9:07 AM, SimonBolivar said:

5 white, 1 hispanic

4 male, 2 female

2020 brokedown to:

As others have posted, I found the problem with your sample group.