Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

Just now, Covri said:

image.gif.75ad9f2957ff89b01f2afeaf45767bbf.gif

Meh.  Couple hundred bucks a year from people like me to know I'm not fucking welfare trash is worth it.   Can't imagine the mental gymnastics needed to sleep at night.  Then again, if easy shit like loan repayment couldn't be figured out, guessing deep thought in regards to ones true standing is probably a bridge too far. 

But Trump only paid $750 in taxes as a billionaire! 

It does look like, in come cursory review, that Hunter Biden did not pay appropriate amount of taxes.  And unlike Trump who is suddenly claiming he didn't know half the shit he's being indicted for is illegal and therefore he cannot be held responsible, everybody getting $4mm+ knows you gotta pay some fucking taxes on it and soon.  Throw the book at Hunter in that case.  Also, hilarious to me that suddenly we have a ruling on ex-con's getting to buy guns again, except Hunter Biden's weapons charge.  

But y'all realize that it's possible that Hunter Biden did some illegal shit AND.  ALSO.  IN ADDITION TO THAT.  Donald Trump is facing far more serious charges for attempting to overthrow a U.S. election, pass classified documents to unauthorized persons or entities, misrepresented financial statements, and instigated a violent coup at our seat of government.  It's completely possible that all can be true, all can be guilty.  It's not binary.  Are you some of you fuckers new to Surly?  We have enough lawyers just on this thread to prosecute all these crimes, we wouldn't even need the DoJ or local DA's.  \

I'm not as big a fan of Biden as most on this thread, but I think he's doing a fine job given the shitshow he inherited and I'm completely fine with him serving a second term.  PRobably won't work nearly as hard as I did in 2020 to help him in Texas.  Nothing personal against him, I just can't be around those same political douchebags for that long again, not good for me.  But I think we can channel our energies and resources into tamping down Trump turnout this time around.  Or better yet, convincing some of them that it's really DeSantis/Christie/Haley/Ramsaway deep state at work blocking/convicting Trump.  And then watch them hurt one another at polling places.  Bad news for Biden is he'll technically be presiding over such a micro civil-war, so will certainly taint his respectable legacy.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Meh.  Couple hundred bucks a year from people like me to know I'm not fucking welfare trash is worth it.   Can't imagine the mental gymnastics needed to sleep at night.  Then again, if easy shit like loan repayment couldn't be figured out, guessing deep thought in regards to ones true standing is probably a bridge too far. 

Hungry Chef GIF by Rosanna Pansino

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You have no idea if it pertains to him?  You or me would be facing a felony.  You care to hazard a guess about HB? 

I was referring to this:

A federal appeals court has ruled that drug users shouldn’t automatically be banned from having guns, marking the latest sign of upheaval in the nation’s firearm legal landscape and raising questions about a law cited in the case against Hunter Biden.”

https://apnews.com/article/gun-ban-drugs-federal-appeals-hunter-biden-f26f8b7488615785602003932efd881a

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The irony of you asserting you "can't imagine the mental gymnastics needed to sleep at night" is rich, given your long and consistent track record of being an absolute USDA Grade A Jumbo piece of shit.

Pardon my French.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm not 100% onboard with student loan forgiveness--but I'm also not a giant piece of shit that gets all hot and bothered because someone had it slightly easier than me--but holy shit at the idea of Democrats buying the votes of recent college grads thinking they actually need to.

What, so Democrats can get 92% of that demographic's vote instead of 89%? 

Yeah, it's definitely because they're buying votes from free-loaders and not because college-educated people want absolutely nothing to do with the modern day GOP. Nope, don't put any thought or self-reflection into that at all.

Also loan forgiveness is welfare trash. Tax cuts for the rich is perfectly normal and healthy for democracy 

But only student loan forgiveness. Not PPP loans or anything 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so now you care about gun laws? gtfoh

I've always, unequivocally been a proponent of following our firearm laws.  

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The irony of you asserting you "can't imagine the mental gymnastics needed to sleep at night" is rich, given your long and consistent track record of being an absolute USDA Grade A Jumbo piece of shit.

Pardon my French.

Your opinion.  I feel exactly the same about you.  That's sort of how that deal works. 

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm not 100% onboard with student loan forgiveness--but I'm also not a giant piece of shit that gets all hot and bothered because someone had it slightly easier than me--but holy shit at the idea of Democrats buying the votes of recent college grads thinking they actually need to.

What, so Democrats can get 92% of that demographic's vote instead of 89%? 

Yeah, it's definitely because they're buying votes from free-loaders and not because college-educated people want absolutely nothing to do with the modern day GOP. Nope, don't put any thought or self-reflection into that at all.

Justify it how you want.  It's buying votes.  And "recent college grads" is misleading af.  There's several posters on here that are getting the benefit that aren't "recent" grads.  And in what world is gaining 3% of any demo with your oppositions tax dollars not worth noting?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

lulz at the troll getting fussy because nobody buys his trolling.

The days when he pokes his head up are really fun actually.  Just watching him get pantsed over and over over.  He's like Gail the Snail.  You salt him, but he still tries to come back.

3de16a64-0d09-44e0-adb5-29baf78db9df_tex

3614a66c-a00a-493b-b3eb-b487ed6d8602_tex

• Haha 3

So this is the point in this debate where fatty makes some crack about how liberal arts majors should have had more career foresight. It's then pointed out to him that a higher percentage of graduates are getting business and technical degrees that at any other point in our nation's history. He'll acknowledge these facts and promise that he'll look into it further. He may even mean it at the time!

Then, a month from now, he'll be shooting the breeze with his oil field buddies, and Cletus will crack a joke about having to pay for someone's underwater basket weaving degree; of course, fatty will go along with it like his brain has been pre-programmed to, anything rejecting that world view will be wiped clean, then the cycle will repeat itself.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, gtown04 said:

Would tax cuts for the rich be buying votes or no? 

Of course.  But people strive to be rich.  No one wants to be so incompetent that they are unable to do something as simple paying back some school loans.  

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You won't get an answer.

Bullshit.  

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So this is the point in this debate where fatty makes some crack about how liberal arts majors should have had more career foresight. It's then pointed out to him that a higher percentage of graduates are getting business and technical degrees that at any other point in our nation's history. He'll acknowledge these facts and promise that he'll look into it further. He may even mean it at the time!

Then, a month from now, he'll be shooting the breeze with his oil field buddies, and Cletus will crack a joke about having to pay for someone's underwater basket weaving degree; of course, fatty will go along with it like his brain has been pre-programmed to, anything rejecting that world view will be wiped clean, then the cycle will repeat itself.

idgaf what degree they got or how that decision affected them down the line. 

I just wish our country wasn't made up of so many people that can't handle their shit.  To be honest, it's more depressing that anything.  You assume someone that can make it thru college can figure it out.  There's always the folks that can just never make it that need assistance, but you'd think with a college educated person...

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You don’t understand what I was saying?  Let me help.  Apparently, we have a bunch of people who can take out loads of debt, but not fulfill their end of the bargain. Stupid, lazy, hell, you pick the reason why.  Can’t get rights.  No matter what they do, they cannot get their shit in order.  Our president, in a pretty brilliant political move, has purchased the votes of these walking albatrosses of society for the foreseeable future.  While throwing a middle finger to those who were able to crack the incredibly difficult case of…paying our bills.  Politically, an outstanding move.  A class of college educated welfare queens straight ticket voting D for the foreseeable future. So, the D’s really don’t need the lovey dovey bullshit anymore, just write the free shit army another fucking check and be done with it. 

Now tell us which class of Americans the government subsidizes most.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I just wish our country wasn't made up of so many people that can't handle their shit. 

The #1 factor causing personal bankruptcies?  Medical debt.  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this-is-the-real-reason-most-americans-file-for-bankruptcy.html

A new study from academic researchers found that 66.5 percent of all bankruptcies were tied to medical issues —either because of high costs for care or time out of work. An estimated 530,000 families turn to bankruptcy each year because of medical issues and bills, the research found.

Yeah!  People should handle their shit, and not.....get sick/cancer/injured!

Jesus.  The absolute lack of human empathy...it boggles the mind.  I've seen a shitload of people at the end of their rope, losing it all or about to.  In SOME of those cases, is it because they made a stack of stupid decisions?  Sure.  In the VAST MAJORITY of those cases, is it because of a shittacular set of circumstances that stacked up on them, and because they didn't start with much, they didn't have much cushion to absorb the blows?  YEP.

And my favorite is hearing the previous generations (mine included) lecturing people on their college debt when the cost of college tuition has done this shit in the past 40 years:

xcdto6rnan951.jpg

No shit you "took care of business and paid off all my education debt quickly."  You were carrying 20 cents on the dollar (inflation adjusted) to what people have to take on today.  It's like someone living in Seattle looking at those of us in Austin and going "I don't know why you're bitching about heat and a drought.  Its cool and rainy from my perspective."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No shit you "took care of business and paid off all my education debt quickly."  You were carrying 20 cents on the dollar (inflation adjusted) to what people have to take on today. 

How fucking old do you think I am?  No, I was part of the tuition went way the fuck up between freshman and senior year group.  And my wife falls squarely into the taking care of people instead of making good money group, so I feel like I've got the bases covered.  Somehow, she was able to pay off her debt. with out asking you for a cent.  Crazy, I know. 

2 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Welfare Trash @mooseoutfront. You are @fattyflattie's definition of Welfare trash. 

lol

Oh noes.   

Just now, fattyflattie said:

How fucking old do you think I am?  No, I was part of the tuition went way the fuck up between freshman and senior year group. 

Cool.  Find your spot on the graph.  Maybe you paid 40 cents on the dollar to today's costs.

We have fucked over an entire generation-plus with the cost of education.  It will cripple our economic growth (it's already incredibly harmful).  It's fucking stupid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

How fucking old do you think I am?  No, I was part of the tuition went way the fuck up between freshman and senior year group.  And my wife falls squarely into the taking care of people instead of making good money group, so I feel like I've got the bases covered.  Somehow, she was able to pay off her debt. with out asking you for a cent.  Crazy, I know. 

Oh noes.   

Were they federally subsidized loans?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool.  Find your spot on the graph.  Maybe you paid 40 cents on the dollar to today's costs.

We have fucked over an entire generation-plus with the cost of education.  It will cripple our economic growth (it's already incredibly harmful).  It's fucking stupid.

We are hiring kids out of school at nearly double what I made coming out ~15 years ago. I'm pretty fucking sure that extra 40k isn't eaten up in their school loans.   But sure, we're completely fucked. ledge, rah rah.  Let's let the folks that DID figure it out pay twice, or three times.  MAYBE, if we need the old midterm bump, we can pay a 4th and 5th time for those who have it so hard.    

The threads that fatty is passionate about--yet somehow has literally no factual idea what he is talking about--are just the best.

Like, it's so abundantly clear that he's just regurgitating what someone else has told him and hasn't read a single word on the topic that didn't come in meme form.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Admittedly, it's a beta report that will change as add/drops and certain academic calendar dates occur...but all-time high enrollments at UT-Austin at the McCombs School of Business, Cockrell School of Engineering, Jackson School of Geosciences, School of Information, School of Nursing, College of Natural Sciences, College of Education, and College of Pharmacy have preliminarily reported their highest enrollments ever.  Coupled with robust philanthropy during the Capital Campaign and tuition easing for families under ~$150k-AGI, a fantastic start to a new era for our school.

As such, I promise, promise, promise that Dan Patrick will be reporting that country-club campuses are out of control with spending, record tuition (no sense of irony given the legislative backdown on formula funding modifications), and forgiven welfare loans to get all these students degrees in women's studies and poetry which as well know are the only degree programs at our state's colleges.  the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board began crafting the talking points this morning. 

But let's not let facts get in the way of the 'woke narrative'.  DRINK!  

I mean, there can't be any reason whatsoever, societally or individually, why anyone can'

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The #1 factor causing personal bankruptcies?  Medical debt.  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this-is-the-real-reason-most-americans-file-for-bankruptcy.html

Jesus.  The absolute lack of human empathy...it boggles the mind.  I've seen a shitload of people at the end of their rope, losing it all or about to.  In SOME of those cases, is it because they made a stack of stupid decisions?  Sure.  In the VAST MAJORITY of those cases, is it because of a shittacular set of circumstances that stacked up on them, and because they didn't start with much, they didn't have much cushion to absorb the blows?  YEP.

And my favorite is hearing the previous generations (mine included) lecturing people on their college debt when the cost of college tuition has done this shit in the past 40 years:

xcdto6rnan951.jpg

No shit you "took care of business and paid off all my education debt quickly."  You were carrying 20 cents on the dollar (inflation adjusted) to what people have to take on today.  It's like someone living in Seattle looking at those of us in Austin and going "I don't know why you're bitching about heat and a drought.  Its cool and rainy from my perspective."

Nope. If you can't pay, you are lazy welfare trash. No other explanation, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

And let's not forget, the ones below the middle and upper classes who literally can't feed themselves with out it.  

Imagine how much good we could do for them and their children if the bulk of government hand outs wasn't going to the middle and upper classes.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Not entirely accurate. Here’s what the judge said: “

"I'm not going to say I'm going to accept the agreement. I'm not going to say I'll deny it," she said.“

She chose to give it more thought. In the meantime, a federal judge took some action against laws banning drug users from possessing firearms, though I have no idea if those actions pertain to HB.

https://abc7ny.com/hunter-biden-plea-deal-falls-apart-maryellen-noreika/13557051/

There were two big issues with the plea agreement.  One was that it purported to grant HB immunity from further prosecution, but the scope was unclear and the judge asked some questions that revealed that the prosecution and defense were of different minds on that score.  So that was one problem, probably fixable.

The second was that it tried to establish a "pretrial diversion" or "deferred adjudication" for the gun offense.  One reason for that is the offense is likely unconstitutional under Bruen and has since been so held.  Second, it is kind of one of those "status offenses" (of being a drug addict) that is often best dealt with by "keeping your nose clean" for a couple of years.  So, he had to agree not to use drugs or commit any other crimes for two years, I believe, and if he failed on that, he would be found guilty and sentenced.

The judge, probably rightly, didn't think there was any statutory basis for such a deal and that it involved her adjudicating guilt based on violation of the terms of the agreement and not proof of the underlying crime, for which she rightly questioned whether there was any constitutional basis for that.

So, it wasn't that it was so "sweet" as to be unjust.  That's not why the judge rejected it, although they can reject pleas on that ground.  There was some factual and legal uncertainty as to whether it could even be done.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The State of Texas paid for my education (seriously, full tuition scholarships all the way through).

Imagine how much of a raging fucking asshole I'd have to be to say "hey, I got mine, fuck off!" to the future generations?

Now...realize that fucking EVERYONE who went to UT for DECADES also had the State of Texas pay for a chunk of their education via the support the state used to provide to the university.  

Over the past 30 years or so, that support has dwindled to be negligible.  So, we who were subsidized (that means that the people of Texas contributed money to our higher education) are telling young people to fuck off because they have asked for....the people of Texas to contribute money to their higher education.  What a fucking asshole thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

xcdto6rnan951.jpg

One small point of order.  Medical debt is often scheduled in personal bankruptcies and often is a huge portion of non-mortgage/unsecured debt.

But having done personal bankruptcies for a while, medical debt (and also the typically associated time off work or job loss) is just the wake-up call for people who have unsustainable personal finances.  The financial moment of clarity, so to speak.  In many or most cases, they were prime candidates for personal bankruptcy before the medical expenses.

That may have changed a bit more recently, I think @elfenix can confirm or deny.

• Hook 'Em 1