Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Speas coming on.  Welcome to the show.  Here's a pressure cooker for you.  

All we are sayyyyiiinnnng, is give Speas a chance....

Missed the game. Looks like he did pretty good. Keep it rolling.

• Haha 1

Took my son to the game yesterday. Good time and good win.  Still not a fan of the new ballpark but I'll take it on a day like yesterday.  Never thought I would see 31K attend a random Weds 1PM game in July but I guess combo of winning team + AC when 105 outside will make that happen.

Also, yesterday was the first time I've set down low in the new stadium (4th row third base line a couple of sections past the dugout).  I completely understand the need for the extended netting from a safety/liability standpoint, but it does take away from the viewing experience.  Definitely would not pay weekend ticket prices to sit down there.   I think lower rows in the 100 level may be best seats.  Going to try that the next game that I don't just buy outfield seats (which, for baseball, I'm typically fine with).

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Took my son to the game yesterday. Good time and good win.  Still not a fan of the new ballpark but I'll take it on a day like yesterday.  Never thought I would see 31K attend a random Weds 1PM game in July but I guess combo of winning team + AC when 105 outside will make that happen.

Also, yesterday was the first time I've set down low in the new stadium (4th row third base line a couple of sections past the dugout).  I completely understand the need for the extended netting from a safety/liability standpoint, but it does take away from the viewing experience.  Definitely would not pay weekend ticket prices to sit down there.   I think lower rows in the 100 level may be best seats.  Going to try that the next game that I don't just buy outfield seats (which, for baseball, I'm typically fine with).

This is good info. I know I'm in the minority, but I hated, HATED The Ballpark at Arlington. As ugly as this barn looks from the outside it seems like a good place to watch a game. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is good info. I know I'm in the minority, but I hated, HATED The Ballpark at Arlington. As ugly as this barn looks from the outside it seems like a good place to watch a game. 

I loved that place (other than day games in July/August).  I was fine with an August night game as long as the beer was cold.   I thought the sightlines throughout the old ballpark were better. I've yet to find the sweet spot for viewing at the new place which is why I want to try lower rows in the 100 level.  I've sat upper rows in the 100's on first base line a couple of times and still felt too far away/high up for what should be "good" seats.  200 level seemed way too high so I can't fathom how high up the 300 level feels.  But games like yesterday are why that place was built.  Revenue was probably around 10X what it would have been at the old ballpark.

23 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Such a great camera angle on the Lowe play at the plate. See him rounding 2nd. Semien positioning for the relay. Getting it from Garcia. Lowe on his way to the plate and the throw the same.  All in view at the same time. 

Again, great angle. 

From yesterday.  An extraordinarily good, all-compassing view of sound baseball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I loved that place (other than day games in July/August).  I was fine with an August night game as long as the beer was cold.   I thought the sightlines throughout the old ballpark were better. I've yet to find the sweet spot for viewing at the new place which is why I want to try lower rows in the 100 level.  I've sat upper rows in the 100's on first base line a couple of times and still felt too far away/high up for what should be "good" seats.  200 level seemed way too high so I can't fathom how high up the 300 level feels.  But games like yesterday are why that place was built.  Revenue was probably around 10X what it would have been at the old ballpark.

The sightlines were great. I hated it for two reasons
1) I don't like fake old stuff, particularly for a franchise that had no past worth being nostalgic about. The authentic low-rent character of Arlington Stadium had far more quirky charm than the outlet mall version of Camden Yard that replaced it. 
2) The ballpark at Arlington was the only MLB stadium where I ever saw good empty seats vacated by people who left blowouts early actively guarded by staff to prevent people from coming down from the cheap seats. I saw it multiple times there, and it seemed unamerican. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

2) The ballpark at Arlington was the only MLB stadium where I ever saw good empty seats vacated by people who left blowouts early actively guarded by staff to prevent people from coming down from the cheap seats. I saw it multiple times there, and it seemed unamerican. 

Definitely wasn't the case when I was a teenager going to games in the 90's.  I have good memories of sneaking down to front row seats the last few innings.  I have no doubt that changed over time.  But hate to tell you it's not any better in the new place.  I had to show my ticket (on my phone) probably 5+ times yesterday.  3X before game even started (escalator down to LL, entering LL and a different usher checked about 5 mins after sitting in our seats).  Then I had to dig my damn phone out to show it to an usher a couple of times coming back from concessions including once balancing a plate of dollar dogs and a beer.  Shit got old.

• Rage+1 1

I honestly think the outside of the new place is meh. Once inside I’m a fan. 74° probably has a huge impact on that.

Best bang for your buck seats in my opinion are the second deck in left field.

Best bang for your bucks seats In the old place were the commissioner box seats.

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

So I’ve only been twice, but both times I sat down low and thought it was lame. Especially compared to premium experience at ATT or DKR. The restaurant/bar area feels like the Charlotte airport. The ceilings are too low, there are no windows, and everything is painted white. It seems inauthentic in some way.

The 100 deck seems to be where it’s at. I’ve never had seats there, but the vibe seems great. Gonna try it out next time. 

Also the old ballpark was fantastic. A true Temple to baseball. 

The sightlines were great. I hated it for two reasons
1) I don't like fake old stuff, particularly for a franchise that had no past worth being nostalgic about. The authentic low-rent character of Arlington Stadium had far more quirky charm than the outlet mall version of Camden Yard that replaced it. 

1) you're on drugs and I'm not even going to attempt to have a rational discussion with someone that thinks the old ballpark next door isn't the best looking of the 3 stadiums the Rangers have had.

2) 20 years ago it was probably because they were pricks, but these days you can't do that in any ballpark. Can't do it in any NFL stadium either. League security sets those rules and teams found not enforcing them can and will get fined. Also, security violations on your record are a good way to miss out on events like all star games and whatnot.

23 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

So I’ve only been twice, but both times I sat down low and thought it was lame. Especially compared to premium experience at ATT or DKR. The restaurant/bar area feels like the Charlotte airport. The ceilings are too low, there are no windows, and everything is painted white. It seems inauthentic in some way.

The field level dugout club area seemed kind of cool (walk all the way down to the end towards outfield of the white painted area you are referencing then go downstairs) but we didn't have access to the coolest part (i.e., we could get into the 'lounge' that had limited field view but the section that is open to the stadium with better field level views required some special tickets or access).  None of it made sense buying tickets on stubhub.  I couldn't tell if certain sections had club access or just certain tickets within the sections.  I had thought a Weds afternoon game would be the right time to check some of that out but given 31K people had same idea, the tickets designated as club access were still way too pricy.  Especially with a 6 year old and having to drive (so not able to take advantage of unlimited beers).

46 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

1) you're on drugs and I'm not even going to attempt to have a rational discussion with someone that thinks the old ballpark next door isn't the best looking of the 3 stadiums the Rangers have had.

2) 20 years ago it was probably because they were pricks, but these days you can't do that in any ballpark. Can't do it in any NFL stadium either. League security sets those rules and teams found not enforcing them can and will get fined. Also, security violations on your record are a good way to miss out on events like all star games and whatnot.

1) I'll take a fun 7 over a killjoy 9 all day long
2) It's the dismal tide

Old park was maybe a little hokey when it opened with the faux old style, but it had aged very well IMO. A very nice place to watch a game. God damn it was hot out there sometimes, though.

New place is nice but lacks any character whatsoever. They just Googled "blueprints for generic 21st century ballpark", hit print, and started building.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Old park was maybe a little hokey when it opened with the faux old style, but it had aged very well IMO. A very nice place to watch a game. God damn it was hot out there sometimes, though.

New place is nice but lacks any character whatsoever. They just Googled "blueprints for generic 21st century ballpark", hit print, and started building.

It aged well for sure. I remember rolling out of that Cuervo club thing just before first pitch as the sun was going down over FT Worth and feeling great about life and baseball. Lots of brick and painted iron. Hotdog guy. Chuck Morgan. All the things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is it any different in the new stadium ?

There are a lot of seats with obstructed views. Anything in that second level where you walk in by the outfield is obstructed. You'll have no idea if it's a home run or an out until you hear the crowd cheer.

Right field and behind home plate have been the best for seeing the whole field from my experience.

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

That's where I am. I would go to one or 2 (night) games every year either by myself of with an adult male friend. Mainly because you could get pretty cheap tickets in the outfield.  I could have a couple of beers and deal with the hear. But there was no way I was going to try that with my wife and kids

There are a lot of seats with obstructed views. Anything in that second level where you walk in by the outfield is obstructed. You'll have no idea if it's a home run or an out until you hear the crowd cheer.
Right field and behind home plate have been the best for seeing the whole field from my experience.
This was my uncle's issue as well. He got obstructed view seats on his first visit and made this comment that there are way too many compared to the older ballpark.

They old ballpark was great minus the heat. But as long as it wasn't daytime summer heat, it never bothered me much. I don't despise the heat. But I get having kids or a woman and they aren't going to do well in it. The indoor stadium was much needed. Although it looks like shit on the outside
  • Hook 'Em 1

I loved the old ballpark but the A/C is nice. I usually go mid-week when I can find a less expensive ticket on Seatgeek that a season ticket holder isn't using. I've never sat in the outfield other than when mdleast and I went around to different sections during a Covid year game. I miss how pristine the old one looked. It was The Temple. I do like how much more intimate the new one feels and it's good to have less seats and it can get pretty loud with the roof. I thought I wouldn't like it because it's fairly generic but not having to sweat is a pretty decent tradeoff. I need to sit low and see how that is. I think I've only say in the 100 level so far. 

I’ll always have a fond place in my heart for the old Arlington Stadium. Ballpark of course had some very special moments. And I’ve been to several games at Globe Life. Maybe it’s my age now, but damn I love the new place. Like watching a live baseball game sitting in your living room. I’ve sat all over the stadium and have enjoyed all views. Even got to watch a little bit from Chuck Morgan’s box. Man, is that guy fun to talk to. I can’t imagine how electric that place will be next time we’re in the playoffs. Also saw the Air Force-Army football game (go AF) there last year and it’s a pretty cool venue for football too. Will always miss the old stadiums, but already proud of the new one. I’m gonna walk out of there with this clock one of these times!

IMG_0226.jpeg

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fellside said:

Yeah, down the 3rd base line I couldn't see any balls hit to that corner or the Rays 9th inning homerun.  You could tell it wasn't going to hook foul but couldn't see shit.  That's ridiculous for a bunch of pretty high priced seats.  Again, my biggest takeaway sitting down there was that I couldn't fathom buying season tix at that price point for that view and doubt many individuals do.  Probably all corporate which matches the overall feel of the stadium.  

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Love seeing these high profile, interleague matchups. 

F - Gonsolin v. Heaney

S - Miller v. Dunning

S - Sheehan v. Perez

Our staff is being spit and glued together due to injuries.  Lots of rookies getting run.  Miller is legit though.