What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

Full disclosure:  I've known this young man, Cole Gallagher, since he was a pup and I'm friends with his mom and dad. 

Cole just put out an EP called The Confluence, and I've been listening to it today.  I think it's pretty damn good.  David Hidalgo (Los Lobos) plays accordian and sings on one of the tunes (which was actually cut a couple years ago).  Jimbo Hart and some of the other guys in the 400 Unit play on it as well (Jimbo produced some of Cole's earlier songs).  The song below is the first song on the EP.  I would describe his music as Americana -- definitely influenced by heartland rock, roots, and a bit of country.    

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Full disclosure:  I've known this young man, Cole Gallagher, since he was a pup and I'm friends with his mom and dad. 

Cole just put out an EP called The Confluence, and I've been listening to it today.  I think it's pretty damn good.  David Hidalgo (Los Lobos) plays accordian and sings on one of the tunes (which was actually cut a couple years ago).  Jimbo Hart and some of the other guys in the 400 Unit play on it as well (Jimbo produced some of Cole's earlier songs).  The song below is the first song on the EP.  I would describe his music as Americana -- definitely influenced by heartland rock, roots, and a bit of country.    

Really good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Heard this tune by Matthew Logan Vasquez on Sun Radio this morning.  It absolutely rips.  Who says rock is dead?  I'm not real familiar with his bands (Delta Spirit, Middle Brother, Glorietta) but I'm buying this release for sure.  Hope the bandcamp link works:
MLV "Can You Turn Me Up?"

Those first couple of Delta Spirit albums are fantastic. You should definitely give them a listen. They’re also a really great live band. Middle Brother is a fun little one off album.

I’ve run into Matthew a few times around town and he is a good dude.

Thought about starting a new thread: 'Songs that shred at the end" - Decided to post here instead.  My latest jam is songs that seem kind of lame for most of the song, but end with in-your-face molten lava.  The sound seems mediocre, maybe melancholy, but then leaves a third degree blister on the senses just at the end.  Think three quarters of Case McCoy and fourth quarter of Vince Young.

Turns out looking for similar songs is not readily searchable.  Here are a few examples that I am talking about - let me know if you can add to my playlist.

And. . . . 

and. . . .

15 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Thought about starting a new thread: 'Songs that shred at the end" - Decided to post here instead.  My latest jam is songs that seem kind of lame for most of the song, but end with in-your-face molten lava.  The sound seems mediocre, maybe melancholy, but then leaves a third degree blister on the senses just at the end. 

for some reason Aztec Camera's cover of Van Halen's Jump came to mind.

I’ve mentioned these chicas before, but they met a couple of years ago because they were both fans of The Strokes and after a trip to the USA (NYC around 2021/22 NYE) and tons of videos of them doing various covers, they recorded an album. They’re something like 25 & 20. (I think.)

This is a video of their lyrics to all of their songs. 

They are worth a follow. 

The Great Divide popped into my mind after more than a decade.  They were my introduction to Red Dirt/TC.  

A few times in my life a band pops up and just scratches me where I itch and this was one of those times.  I've been listening to them for more than a month now and it transports me back to when my life was much much simpler.

Mike McClure is a tremendous songwriter with a distinct voice.