Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

23 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And it hates us.  Always has.  That's why we gone and I'm glad.  This isn't a Rodney or Chris thing.  Happens regardless of coach.

Do you not think SEC SEC SEC will hate Texas to the same degree? Basketball wise, it’s Kansas and the field since the Big 12 started. SEC should hold more drama in terms of competing for conference championships, even if it’s not the same level of competition throughout the conference. You’d think the cross-school cabal would aim at Jayhawk basketball, no?  Sincere question. I’m willing to be wrong again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Do you not think SEC SEC SEC will hate Texas to the same degree? Basketball wise, it’s Kansas and the field since the Big 12 started. SEC should hold more drama in terms of competing for conference championships, even if it’s not the same level of competition throughout the conference. You’d think the cross-school cabal would aim at Jayhawk basketball, no?  Sincere question. I’m willing to be wrong again.

To the same degree?  No way.  I do think we'll be the top three most hated in football and top 5 or so in basketball?

It's hard to sell against Kansas right?  What do you say? Playing time maybe?  I think just our state and school is loathed in this conference and has been.  And now that we're leaving.....

54 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

I think SEC is more dog eat dog....one conference foe helping another conference foe because the HC used to coach at the other school isn't something that i think will happen in the SEC.

24 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If Baylor and ksu can convince abmas to not go to Texas he wasn’t that sold on RT pitch. We’re Texas and fuck Baylor but nothing should keep abmas from coming to Texas if the NIL was strong and he sold abmas on his role.

This is pretty stupid....

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I think SEC is more dog eat dog....one conference foe helping another conference foe because the HC used to coach at the other school isn't something that i think will happen in the SEC.

Solid response. Idgaf what you think. When a kid is sold nothing should keep him from committing and if you’re afraid of Baylor and drew you’re giving them way more power than what RT is gonna sell. Im confident he’s coming and RT sold him. If he doesn’t come then he wasn’t that sold on Texas. I forgot this is surly and the herd response is “oh no drew is gonna talk bad about us and now he won’t come”. So anything opposite of that is dumb. Fuck drew for tampering this late but he should be sold on us or not.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Solid response. Idgaf what you think. When a kid is sold nothing should keep him from committing and if you’re afraid of Baylor and drew you’re giving them way more power than what RT is gonna sell. Im confident he’s coming and RT sold him. If he doesn’t come then he wasn’t that sold on Texas. I forgot this is surly and the herd response is “oh no drew is gonna talk bad about us and now he won’t come”. So anything opposite of that is dumb. Fuck drew for tampering this late but he should be sold on us or not.

If a kid is 50/50 in his decision and lets just assume he is....it's not unreasonable to think a 3rd party coming into the fold to only shit on one of those 50/50 schools in order to help the other is because of "Rodney Terry's recruiting pitch." If you don't think that shit would effect a young mans decision making you're pretty fucking stupid.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Agree with your second part. Some people just can’t let go

however, can’t you see lane kiffin hosing msu or bama for his best interest

The problem isn’t Drew, the problem is Paul Mills. I assume Abmas trust Mills given that he stayed with him at ORU for as long as he did. If Mills is joining his former Baylor buddies on the negative recruiting, it could have an affect.

But in the age of NIL, it might not matter. Those other schools shouldn’t be able to put together a better package than us.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If a kid is 50/50 in his decision and lets just assume he is....it's not unreasonable to think a 3rd party coming into the fold to only shit on one of those 50/50 schools in order to help the other is because of "Rodney Terry's recruiting pitch." If you don't think that shit would effect a young mans decision making you're pretty fucking stupid.

Lmao yea this matters when we have mediocre coaches. When Texas finally gets a big name coach, schools like Baylor won’t be able to sway a kid that wants to be here. NIL should be too good to pass up for abmas and neither Baylor or KSU can match it. But I guess some of you need a excuse to lean on if he bolts.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao yea this matters when we have mediocre coaches. When Texas finally gets a big name coach, schools like Baylor won’t be able to sway a kid that wants to be here. NIL should be too good to pass up for abmas and neither Baylor or KSU can match it. But I guess some of you need a excuse to lean on if he bolts.

You've been a bitch 100% on RT no matter what so who gives a fuck about your opinion on this any longer? CTJ literally said the money is there for him, idk what else the fuck you want out of  this?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You've been a bitch 100% on RT no matter what so who gives a fuck about your opinion on this any longer? CTJ literally said the money is there for him, idk what else the fuck you want out of  this?

A commit with no excuses that “another school” stole him. Seal the fucking deal and quit talking about how much money we have and start showing that we do with quality players committing to Texas. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If Baylor and ksu can convince abmas to not go to Texas he wasn’t that sold on RT pitch. We’re Texas and fuck Baylor but nothing should keep abmas from coming to Texas if the NIL was strong and he sold abmas on his role.

I agree with this

Why would he want to wear a K St or Baylor jersey if Texas was offering him similar NIL money and a starting role?

We'll see how it shakes out

I guess I should also say that while I don't disagree with you that we should get Abmas in the end, I do disagree with you already acting like it's official that we didn't get him.

You're right. Texas should be his best option after looking at all options and it's on RT to make that happen. But at the moment this young man is simply exploring his options and you're jumping to conclusions and melting down a bit for no reason. 

Let's see what he decides after exploring his options like any intelligent, talented person would.

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

I guess I should also say that while I don't disagree with you that we should get Abmas in the end, I do disagree with you already acting like it's official that we didn't get him.

You're right. Texas should be his best option after looking at all options and it's on RT to make that happen. But at the moment this young man is simply exploring his options and you're jumping to conclusions and melting down a bit for no reason. 

Let's see what he decides after exploring his options like any intelligent, talented person would.

No I’m not I’m saying it shouldn’t matter. I’m not the one melting down talking about negative recruiting and preparing my excuse for RT. We’ve done this for years. Strong then Herman and now sark. And it’s bleeding over to basketball. Slap the Texas money dick on the table and get your first big name portal target. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

No I’m not I’m saying it shouldn’t matter. I’m not the one melting down talking about negative recruiting and preparing my excuse for RT. We’ve done this for years. Strong then Herman and now sark. And it’s bleeding over to basketball. Slap the Texas money dick on the table and get your first big name portal target. 

Cause you’ve been on a melt down since he was hired. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Wondering what the negative recruiting points against Texas are. We are coming off of an elite 8 run, won the big 12 tournament, have a new arena, supposedly have good NIL, regularly send players to the league, great city, etc. etc. Seems to me whatever the negative recruiting points are, they should be pretty easy to counter. It's not like he football program that hasn't done shit in years, yet Sark keeps recruiting like a bad mofo.

8 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Wondering what the negative recruiting points against Texas are. We are coming off of an elite 8 run, won the big 12 tournament, have a new arena, supposedly have good NIL, regularly send players to the league, great city, etc. etc. Seems to me whatever the negative recruiting points are, they should be pretty easy to counter. It's not like he football program that hasn't done shit in years, yet Sark keeps recruiting like a bad mofo.

this is the biggest one, i would guess:

rodney-terry-532.jpg

to be fair, that would also be the biggest one if Beard had stayed.

Rebuild with several new players not familiar with system and new coach with questions as to how well he can do with his own roster and coaching style

Lack of PT and development of 5 star recruits

The theme that Terry was basically surfing Beard’s wake… which lost steam as Terry kept the team on track

The theme that assistants no longer on the team were “running the offense/defense”

The theme that Texas has a gluttony of riches and resources that at times makes players lax, focused on $ over hard work, and distracted from just winning games

Disclaimer: I don’t agree with many of these
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah I would say the easiest negative recruiting against Texas right now is:

• Total rebuild, losing 3 of your starting 5, the Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year, Bishop, plus rotational player Morris
  • Terry's HC record at UTEP/Fresno State
  • The assistant who ran the offense being gone

Fair or not, those are easy to tell a recruit.  It is on Rodney to sell a core of Hunter, Disu, Brock, Shedrick and Holland can be just as successful with the right guards and wings, Haith can and has run good offenses before at previous stops and that he's never had the resources at Fresno/UTEP he has at Texas, and his record as interim is more indicative of what he can do

The dude seems to have the culture part down - those players do fucking love him and he kept them engaged and focused all the way to the Elite 8, even through the slog of the Big 12, and was a healthy Disu/not hobbled mid-game Carr away from a Final Four. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Uh, can we also acknowledge Baylor has a pretty good sell themselves without having to worry about negative recruiting other schools? They won the damn national title 2 years ago. They also have a new arena coming. Scott Drew is a good coach (who gets his hair cut at Great Clips, maybe we can negative recruit that).

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gerry said Texas is facing some headwinds in the recruitment of Onyema (UTEP big). Joe Golding is best friends with Chris Beard and Onyema would start at Ole Miss. Would also start at Vandy where he just visited with his parents. Texas can't sell him on the same minutes those schools can.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Uh, can we also acknowledge Baylor has a pretty good sell themselves without having to worry about negative recruiting other schools? They won the damn national title 2 years ago. They also have a new arena coming. Scott Drew is a good coach (who gets his hair cut at Great Clips, maybe we can negative recruit that).

He's incredibly unlikable and comes off as a dirtbag, but he's a winner and puts guys in the pros, I think even beyond Chris Beard.

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said Texas is facing some headwinds in the recruitment of Onyema (UTEP big). Joe Golding is best friends with Chris Beard and Onyema would start at Ole Miss. Would also start at Vandy where he just visited with his parents. Texas can't sell him on the same minutes those schools can.

I mean, that makes sense. With Shedrick and Disu and Holland and IF Mitchell came back. Dude would be buried 

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Over the utep guy?  Not me.  I’ll be worried if Abmas doesn’t come though

On ESPN headlines right now there is an article saying a guy named Abrams is transferring to GaTech to play for Stoudemire.  I initially read it as Abmas and did the smack table on my desk, scaring the shit out of the cats and spilling some coffee.  READING IS HARD.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

On ESPN headlines right now there is an article saying a guy named Abrams is transferring to GaTech to play for Stoudemire.  I initially read it as Abmas and did the smack table on my desk, scaring the shit out of the cats and spilling some coffee.  READING IS HARD.

Why you want to do this to us?  But, didn't know Abrams had eligibility left.

So if I am reading the last few posts right, it's not so much about negative recruiting Texas, rather other schools having a lot to sell as well. That is not a new development imo. Kansas and BU have been very good for quite some time now. We just have to sell our positives and hope that we get our fair share from the portal.

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

So if I am reading the last few posts right, it's not so much about negative recruiting Texas, rather other schools having a lot to sell as well. That is not a new development imo. Kansas and BU have been very good for quite some time now. We just have to sell our positives and hope that we get our fair share from the portal.

So that's one factor.  But the other is Gerry said they'd rather Abmas go to KSU than us.

Obviously I want Abmas to come here.  But having both him and Tyrese Hunter is going to be pretty small at guard.  It won't be the end of the world if we wind up with:

• Tyrese Hunter, 6-0, G – 10.3 PTS, 3.0 REB, 2.5 AST, 0.8 STL, 0.2 BLK, 80.0% FT, 44.6% 2P%, 33.7% 3P%, 30.3 MP, 73 GS, 1.8 TO  – 2 yrs left
  • Tyrin Lawrence, 6-4, G – Vanderbilt – 13.1 PTS, 4.4 REB, 1.7 AST, 1.0 STL, 0.1 BLK, 74.3% FT, 56.3% 2P%, 36.0% 3P%, 29 MP, 52 GS, 1.8 TO – 2 yrs left
  • Chendall Weaver, 6-3, G – UTA  – 9.5 PTS, 4.6 REB, 2.0 AST, 0.9 STL, 0.4 BLK, 70.3% FT, 46.5% 2P%, 40.2% 3P%, 29 MP, 25 GS, 1.2 TO – 3 yrs left

Plus Perryman and some minutes from Brock at SG.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Obviously I want Abmas to come here.  But having both him and Tyrese Hunter is going to be pretty small at guard.  It won't be the end of the world if we wind up with:

• Tyrese Hunter, 6-0, G – 10.3 PTS, 3.0 REB, 2.5 AST, 0.8 STL, 0.2 BLK, 80.0% FT, 44.6% 2P%, 33.7% 3P%, 30.3 MP, 73 GS, 1.8 TO  – 2 yrs left
  • Tyrin Lawrence, 6-4, G – Vanderbilt – 13.1 PTS, 4.4 REB, 1.7 AST, 1.0 STL, 0.1 BLK, 74.3% FT, 56.3% 2P%, 36.0% 3P%, 29 MP, 52 GS, 1.8 TO – 2 yrs left
  • Chendall Weaver, 6-3, G – UTA  – 9.5 PTS, 4.6 REB, 2.0 AST, 0.9 STL, 0.4 BLK, 70.3% FT, 46.5% 2P%, 40.2% 3P%, 29 MP, 25 GS, 1.2 TO – 3 yrs left

Plus Perryman and some minutes from Brock at SG.

Hunter was probably told by the NBA's Undergraduate Advisory Committee that at 6'0"  he needs to be a point guard to make it in the league. Wonder how he feels about us recruiting Abmas?

I’m not sure we need a “point guard”. It would be fine having both Abmas and Hunter and just use the two interchangeably.  Plus whenever one is taking a break 10 min a game, the other will be the main ball handler.  Carr and Hunter both played a lot of lead guard minutes last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Hunter was probably told by the NBA's Undergraduate Advisory Committee that at 6'0"  he needs to be a point guard to make it in the league. Wonder how he feels about us recruiting Abmas?

Abmas isn't a PG either. It would be another season where Texas is led by two CGs in Hunter and Abmas, same as last year when it was Carr and Hunter, as well as, Allen and Rice. Holland will initiate the offense as well.

• Hook 'Em 1