• No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

56 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

None other.

You just made the list brother.  I love the evolution of a thread from somewhat serious to a fistfight to why can’t we get along.  And my favorite post was the guy complaining about the topic after clicking on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

None of that would happen.

Yes I understand the lobbyists and all of that. But if we can’t even have civil conversations at this level nothing will change.

Why don’t we try it?

Because we’re too fucking dumb.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What special interest and/or lobbying groups do you recommend that would support consistently common sense things that we agree on?

How about we stop identifying with groups, mr bothsides?

• Like 1

No, they made it abundantly clear what they were up to. My priority was my child, and getting him to safety. I wrecked their car so they couldn't leave. They were planing a quick assault, robbery, and fleeing the scene, or they wouldn't have followed me. I had my son run into the restaurant and call LEO. I am just repeating what I was told by the LEOs, including time and distance from the scene. Throckmorton does not have a police department, they have a sheriff's department responsible for the whole county, there was one officer on duty nowhere to be found.. Might want to get your facts straight.
CHIEF

FYI, I’m vouching for Chief’s story here. Got the full rundown just a few days after it happened, and all recollections were fresh, including Jr’s.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I actually disagree with you. Because those reforms would include things like eliminating restrictions on braces, SBRs and suppressors. The reason common sense reforms don’t happen is lobbying by our interest groups, who are far more concerned with maximizing their position in the conflict-industrial complex than getting anything done and don’t really represent us at all. Anti-gun radicals are just whipping boys. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What special interest and/or lobbying groups do you recommend that would support consistently common sense things that we agree on? Things like reducing the nonsense regulations around suppressors and enacting universal, easy, and free background checks and logically coherent red flag laws? I don't donate to any special interest groups across the political spectrum, but point me to the one that talks about these things in the way that we have and I will scratch them a check tonight. 

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How about we stop identifying with groups, mr bothsides?

Damn, you fold too easy bozo. If you just want to clown, you should have said so.

In our dysfunctional political system, the lobby groups hold power. Far too much. I am open to stripping them of that power, on this issue and others. We both know that isn't going to happen though. So I am also willing to support groups that will stand up with some common sense perspectives on this issue, along the lines of those that you claim to support. Your response when asked which groups out there exist that echo the points that you and I and many others on this board have kicked around on many threads from the hobby board to the CR on the subject, and on which we find some measure of common ground, is to fall back to regurgitate shit that is too stupid to even come out of a poorly programmed chatbot.   

Edited by Anastasis

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, you're not answering the guys question that has been bolded. You're just calling him a meanie for deriding you, but you can't refute his point that building a nuclear shelter would give your family a 5% increase of survival in a nuclear holocaust, while claiming people would do "anything" to give themselves a 5% increase in living.

The point that you missed by quite a larger margin was that people would do anything to increase their life expectancy in a life or death circumstance. At no point did I mention day to day activities. Reading comprehension is an art form. Practice it more. 

But to answer your foolish attempt at parroting a gotcha, no, I do not have or intend to build a nuclear bomb shelter. It is not a life or death situation. It’s a death or death situation where the survivors would face a far more hellish demise than those who experienced a few millisecond of blinding light as Stephen Falken so adeptly noted. 

Secondly, I'm not inadvertently making your point, you're (I will assume obliviously) fundamentally missing MY original point. Which is that in your absolutist take on doing things that increase your chances of survival in general, you'd NEVER get on a plane, you'd NEVER get in a car. You're picking and choosing your point. And then a single fucking post later, you literally use the "buying your kid a car" as proof of your point. You dunked on yourself, you fucking buffoon. 

My point, vis a vis the 5% was again about life and death situations, and not the daily mundane.  But if you’d like to tackle the daily mundane then you would be the biggest retard on this thread if you didn’t admit that you make decisions on a daily basis based on perceived levels of safety that are completely at odds with reality or consistency. Such is life.  I never posited not stepping in a car for safety. I said I sometimes think about how I’d react in an accident situation. I believe that was in my first post. Stepping on an airplane is something I do with greater regularity than 99.99% of the populace. I mentioned it in passing several times that aviation training is replete with practicing for things that are statistically unlikely to ever happen in most aviator’s experience let alone the average passenger. Those would be life or death situations btw, and not your basic jaunt to Austin on the 6 AM SWA bird. The poster I was responding to suggested that keeping a weapon in the house increases the likelihood that a child will die of some unfortunate mishap with the gun. He was right, but its no more dangerous that buying a child a car or letting them use yours as far more kids are dying behind the wheel than because of domestic gun accidents. 

The point is, you're real quick to pick and choose which scenarios that improves one life by "5%" that you choose to accept are real, versus those that you're actively dismissive of...which is more sad than it is funny. And shockingly, you're passionate about just one of those things to increase your life percentages is gun ownership. Guns are a lot cheaper to build than bomb shelters, and much quicker to acquire, after all. 

Again, you didn’t read what I posted at all before you got emotional and lost the plot. 

Additionally, what you're failing to realize, is that lots of things are dangerous. People tacitly accept the risk whenever they get in a car. Whenever they get in a plane. Whenever they light up a cigarette. Whenever they put a glass of alcohol to their lips. There are short term and long term dangers associated with all of those things. But, and follow me here, people get fucking passionate things like gun safety, or say pedophilia, because they are things that inordinately these days in the case of guns, HAPPEN TO FUCKING CHILDREN. There is a reason pedophiles get treated the worst in prison. It's because by and large as a species we are HARD WIRED to fucking want to protect children. That's why this shit gets so passionate. That's why the outcry for Uvalde, or a Nashville, is much more passionate than say, the night club in Miami, the massage parlors in Atlanta, or even the big shooting in Las Vegas. And those get PLENTY of outrage, media coverage, and passion. But school shootings are a fucking next level, order of magnitude level of outrage. Because it's children. And because children can't tacitly accept the risk associated with going to school. They're complete innocents, but they're being buttfucked by the decisions of others in which they have no control.

Setting aside your continued failure to understand what I wrote yet again, I have no need for you to lecture me on why people are passionate about the deaths of children. The topic was concealed carry. I made several posts replying to a snide comment about 5% efficacy of gun owners in shootings. You jumped the shark and somehow applied that to school shootings because emotions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You are fundamentally broken when that is your solution.

I’m not name-calling there, I’m serious. You’re completely broken.

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

That's the answer, huh? Lots of jail-like schools in other countries? That's their secret? Put Barney Fife next to every door at 150,000 schools? Arm Mrs. Livingston with the bad hip? And when the shooters just change their targets to crowded public parks and soccer games?

It's so brilliant that it's certifiably insane.

I’m neither broken or insane. The country is broken. The gun control proponents will not stop until none are left in private hands and the 2A proponents largely aren’t willing to give up anything either. 

So nothing is going to happen. We’re well beyond the point where one act of violence in a school, church, store or wherever is going to spur national outrage and change. If anything it further deepens the divide.  So if nothing is going to happen, and again, I suggest you challenge the sun each morning if you really think it is, I can see only trying to better protect those we care about with what means we have at our disposal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The gun control proponents will not stop until none are left in private hands

Ah yes, the slippery slope argument. When absolutely nothing remotely meaningful has been taken away from gun owners in decades.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Blotto said:

Dude, that's such a bullshit argument. The primary purpose of transportation is to move people from point A to point B. The primary purpose of a gun is to kill/destroy a person, animal or object. When the use of transportation results in death, its usually an accident. When the use of guns results in death, its overwhelmingly because that was the intent when the trigger was pulled. And yet, even with that distinction, Texas requires a drivers license and annual automobile registration and inspection for the operator of the transportation. Guns....fuck it, no license or registration required?

The dead don’t care what killed them, the intent of it’s use or if the act of their death was intentional or an accident. They’re dead. I don’t attribute animus to inanimate objects. 

Texas requires licensing and registration of cars and still they are killing children at far greater numbers than mass shooters. Do we have a gun problem? Particularly crazy people or criminals getting them too easily?  Hell yes we do. If you want to require training and recurrent training for responsible gun owners then that sounds good to me, and most the people who I know who own weapons would be onboard with that. Most are or were weapons instructors at some point in their life. 

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Ah yes, the slippery slope argument. When absolutely nothing remotely meaningful has been taken away from gun owners in decades.

Yes, because the gun lobby and proponents fight it at every step. They do so because they know that gun control advocates will not stop until they finally get them all. A disarmed society is what they seek as is the case around the rest of the world. It’s not a slippery slope. It’s the end game. 

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

But, yes, I agree, if Sandy Hook didn't force the gun lobby to give a little ground, nothing that happens in this country ever will.

That said, all politics aside, fortifying schools is fucking stupid.

It is. But perhaps less stupid than thinking meaningful gun reform will be enacted in our lifetimes. You know it. You just admitted it. So hope in this hand if it makes you feel better. I’d prefer to do what I can with what we can rather than hoping the country summons the national will to do something. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

That being said, whenever Batronic shows up to give an opinion about something it usually goes tits up in short order. Like the time he insisted players shouldn't tackle in practice because of injury risks. I'm shocked he didn't make the connection at the time that they'd have had a 5% less chance of injury if they just carried a fucking pistol in their waistbands at practice. 

This kind of poo flinging monkey brigade comment is silly and lacks context. Was the comment made when we only had 5 OL on the entire roster? Or when we were one deep at some other position with Johnny Highschool walk on behind them? I seriously doubt I ever suggested that the entire program never tackle in practice. You provide the quote and I’ll eat crow, but I suspect general assholery because its something you tend to revel in. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yes, because the gun lobby and proponents fight it at every step. They do so because they know that gun control advocates will not stop until they finally get them all. A disarmed society is what they seek as is the case around the rest of the world. It’s not a slippery slope. It’s the end game. 

Heroes, one and all.

Again, such bullshit. No serious politician or gun control advocate is trying to come door to door to take away your guns. They know full well what would come from that. Gun ownership isn't illegal in California or New York or even Hawaii. It never will be in our lifetimes, and it's not because of the diligent work of the gun lobby. Republicans aren't the only people who like guns.

Most politicians would happily take the smallest fucking victory wrt reforms, so they could put it in their next campaign ad, and then fuck off. But even that's asking too much. You go ahead and keep on both-siding it though.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Heroes, one and all.

Again, such bullshit. No serious politician or gun control advocate is trying to come door to door to take away your guns. They know full well what would come from that. Gun ownership isn't illegal in California or New York or even Hawaii. It never will be in our lifetimes, and it's not because of the diligent work of the gun lobby. Republicans aren't the only people who like guns.

Most politicians would happily take the smallest fucking victory wrt reforms, so they could put it in their next campaign ad, and then fuck off. But even that's asking too much. You go ahead and keep on both-siding it though.

You showed me. Virtue signaling on a sports message board will probably save 0 lives in the next year. But you feel good about it sir.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

11 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You showed me. Virtue signaling on a sports message board will probably save 0 lives in the next year. But you feel good about it sir.

I'm not virtue-signaling shit. None of us are saving lives here.

I'm just really sick of hearing some version of "Aw, golly, gee, shucks, I would sure like to try out some reasonable gun control laws, but if we give an inch, they'll take a mile," with zero basis in reality, from you enthusiasts. We know it's bullshit. You know it's bullshit. Fucking everyone knows that it's bullshit. Easy, obvious deflection.

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm just really sick of hearing some version of "Aw, golly, gee, shucks, I would sure like to try out some reasonable gun control laws, but if we give an inch, they'll take a mile," with zero basis in reality, from you enthusiasts. We know it's bullshit. You know it's bullshit. Fucking everyone knows that it's bullshit. Easy, obvious deflection.

I'd be interested to hear why I'm told we don't need AR's, but can keep our mini-14's, too.  I think that is also, bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, atomheartbevo said:

There's been once or twice, because holy fucking shit axes are hard to use in confined spaces, and I would have been better off with a baseball bat or hammer.

Key words being if it is open.

We had a former friend-of-a-friend who would carry everywhere, even when driving with his family from one middle-class subdivision in Round Rock to a middle-class subdivision in Pflugerville, and every day to his six-figure job at Dell.  He even carried to a kid's birthday party.  Everybody stopped inviting him over after the party, because he pulled it out in front of multiple parents and kids and asked the host where he could put it while he was there, and the gun owners at the party were far more fucking furious with him than the non-gun owners.  He could have taken the host aside and quietly asked, but nope, gotta make a show of pulling it out of his poorly-concealed holster and do it in front of kids who are going to be very interested in it, and you don't know how many or even if any of those kids have any kind of training with firearm safety.  He was always slightly creepy and into conspiracy theories and had weight and image problems (and somehow he has a normal wife and kids), but we know for a fact that he drove straight over from his house in a decent subdivision to the party at another house that was in an even better subdivision and that he felt the need to carry in that situation pretty much got himself uninvited from a lot of shit.  He still may not understand why the boardgame night invites, poker invites, birthday party invites started drying up because nobody wants anything to do with him - he's the idiot that is A) going to start shit/escalate shit where there didn't need to be any and B) he's a fucking target for anybody wanting to start shit because it's obvious he's probably carrying at times.

Mr. Kids party is an idiot who should not be allowed to carry and is the definition of microphone. That being said, I conceal carry everywhere that's its legal to do so, with some exceptions.

7 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The dead don’t care what killed them, the intent of it’s use or if the act of their death was intentional or an accident. They’re dead. I don’t attribute animus to inanimate objects. 

Texas requires licensing and registration of cars and still they are killing children at far greater numbers than mass shooters. Do we have a gun problem? Particularly crazy people or criminals getting them too easily?  Hell yes we do. If you want to require training and recurrent training for responsible gun owners then that sounds good to me, and most the people who I know who own weapons would be onboard with that. Most are or were weapons instructors at some point in their life. 

guntrol.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess most of the carry crowd also wears Kevlar vests when they head to wal-mart or wherever it is y’all hang out in public?

Actually, I am shocked that idea hasn’t been floated for all kids to be wrapped in Kevlar. It’s a solution.

I avoid Wal-Mart.  Mainly just stick to HEB (when it's open).

23 hours ago, Basil said:

I own six guns and have never carried.  My wife hhhhhaaaaates, and I mean hates, guns and made me send them to my parents' house when we got married.  I had no issue with that as, despite living in Housotn, I figure I'm much more likely to accidently shoot one of my balls off than actually need it - which has proven true for over twenty years.  Plus, I'm not scared of my own shadow.

RIP your balls.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

That said, all politics aside, fortifying schools is fucking stupid.

School security

Police also uncovered a manifesto while searching Hale's home after the shooting, Drake told reporters, which included a map of Covenant School "drawn in detail" that included "surveillance, entry points, etc.," regarding the building

Drake told reporters that "there was another location that was mentioned, but because of threat assessment by the suspect, too much security, they decided not to.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It is. But perhaps less stupid than thinking meaningful gun reform will be enacted in our lifetimes. You know it. You just admitted it. So hope in this hand if it makes you feel better. I’d prefer to do what I can with what we can rather than hoping the country summons the national will to do something. 

This is just straight up bullshit. If you wanna own a gun i do not care. But if you are not willing to do minimal things like register it and take training to use it, you're lazy and you don't deserve to own it in my opinion. That's not "i wanna take all your guns away". That's "i want for you to be responsible with your weapons".

Sorry, but you're just absolutely full of garbage man.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

At least we can agree on that last sentence. My question to you is this:

Why is this country broken?

For the reason you passively called me insane and broken in the post. We can’t talk to each other. Tribalism rules the day. Someone disagrees with you, and therefore they must be derided and piled on until one group of monkeys asserts dominance over the other on the internet or public forum. It’s a dunk contest where everyone loses. 

The root causes of that are many, but that’s the rough outline of why nothing will be done on this and numerous other subjects. 

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

This is just straight up bullshit. If you wanna own a gun i do not care. But if you are not willing to do minimal things like register it and take training to use it, you're lazy and you don't deserve to own it in my opinion. That's not "i wanna take all your guns away". That's "i want for you to be responsible with your weapons".

Sorry, but you're just absolutely full of garbage man.

Know how I know you didn’t read several of my posts?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

False dichotomies are fun

Well when you adamantly oppose any reasonable measure that could possibly be taken to prevent such a thing, it's actually not a very far stretch at all. Depending on where you look, around 70% pf people support some form of gun control. Last I checked, that is the majority. I thought majority rules in this country. And yet we for some reason don't do any of that, because god forbid we tell that 30% tough titties and to get fucked.

Edited by Pam Cummings

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess most of the carry crowd also wears Kevlar vests when they head to wal-mart or wherever it is y’all hang out in public?

Actually, I am shocked that idea hasn’t been floated for all kids to be wrapped in Kevlar. It’s a solution.

Uh,

image.thumb.png.dadee0d80a750973f7f3550daa293038.png

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

How many times have all you open carried people needed your firearm when you were open carrying? 

1. Times fired

2. Times unholstered 

3. Times felt threatened and thought of unholstering 

4. Times felt safer knowing it was there 

If you consider this in terms of minutes when the gun wasn't drawn, unholstered, etc., it probably rivals the kind of statistical irrelevance one might claim for...flying in an airplane without a crash. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Well when you adamantly oppose any reasonable measure that could possibly be taken to prevent such a thing, it's actually not a very far stretch at all. Depending on where you look, around 70% pf people support some form of gun control. Last I checked, that is the majority. And yet we for some reason don't do any of that, because god forbid we tell that 30% tough titties and to get fucked.

"Some" form of gun control vs. a national gun registry are two distinct things.  You favor a registry.  Run with that

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

there is already a national gun registry for handguns. It's not computerized and its guaranteed to inaccurate due to illegal or even legal gun sales, but the registry exists.

It's made to be as inefficient and hard to use as possible. So that they can point to it and say it doesn't work.

It's pure bad faith.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

"Some" form of gun control vs. a national gun registry are two distinct things.  You favor a registry.  Run with that

Yep, run to your semantics, like you always do.