2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Nice comeback.  I had a premonition about Tucker and him extending that AB made it seem inevitable.  He scares me more than anyone else in that lineup.  The kid is a player.

I will close with one O’s observation.  No way should a SS be playing CF when you’re trying to protect a lead in the 9th.  There were options.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Nice comeback.  I had a premonition about Tucker and him extending that AB made it seem inevitable.  He scares me more than anyone else in that lineup.  The kid is a player.

I will close with one O’s observation.  No way should a SS be playing CF when you’re trying to protect a lead in the 9th.  There were options.

I missed this..should Alvarez ball been caught by the CF? 

7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Wait, you have a manager who puts infielders in the outfield too?? Does your guy also change the lineup every day so your 2-8 batters have no consistency in the order?

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I missed this..should Alvarez ball been caught by the CF? 

Yeah, I thought his route was pretty horrid, a ball from a lefty is gonna slice back, he got turned around and ended up getting lost

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I remember that time when I said that Julks was a AAAA player and @rvm96 requoted that post a couple of months later to tell me how wrong I was. Then Julks immediately went like 3-60 and they packed his bags for him. And then I laughed. 

Glad to see the ultimate AAAA player has replaced him. My expectations of Singleton's small time on the roster are .150/.210/.275/17 k's/55 abs. Something like that. They'd be better off with an empty roster space than having either guy in the clubhouse.

Where would the Astros be without your other AAAA player France?

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Wait, you have a manager who puts infielders in the outfield too?? Does your guy also change the lineup every day so your 2-8 batters have no consistency in the order?

Yeah .. but, I don’t have a problem with fluid starting lineups because Hyde is breaking in a roster full of kids who play multiple positions.  My issue tonight is Mateo has played ~20 ML games in the OF … in his career.  Defensive replacements were available.

• Hook 'Em 1

I finally had a chance to check the MLB scoreboard  and saw it was 6-3 Orioles, bottom 8. Figuring we were toast, I didn't worry about the fact I couldn't check it again for another half-hour or so. What a nice surprise to see that final and then catch highlights of how it all unfolded. Huuuuuge win. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Wasn’t their manager watching from the clubhouse because he inexplicably went apeshit over a boom boom call (and was wrong)?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

It ain't like he was dominating the fuck out of Astros batters.  Yordan was a cunthair from going yard in the AB previous to Tucker.

Even the badasses don't have their stuff every night.  How many times have we as fans fired B. Abreu, Stanek, or Pressly this season?

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

It ain't like he was dominating the fuck out of Astros batters.  Yordan was a cunthair from going yard in the AB previous to Tucker.

Even the badasses don't have their stuff every night.  How many times have we as fans fired B. Abreu, Stanek, or Pressly this season?

and that is some favorable calls in that inning from the ump. He threw like 8 straight balls and got a few of them called strikes.

Dana Brown needs to stop talking. He is about to break my bullshit meter every time he speaks.

Just off the top of my head recently
- brantley
- brantley
-abreu baseball card stats say he will stop sucking one day
-brantley
-we aren't in the market for SP we are looking for more BP help (this is after emo trade....then proceeds to get no more BP help and gets a SP)
-Tucker will be here for life (kiss this one goodbye)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Dana Brown needs to stop talking. He is about to break my bullshit meter every time he speaks.

- brantley
- brantley
-brantley
-we aren't in the market for SP we are looking for more BP help (this is after emo trade....then proceeds to get no more BP help and gets a SP)

spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

Huge day for Presley :

Astros closer Ryan Pressly reaches 10 years of major-league service time today. It's one of the most celebrated milestones in a big league clubhouse. The Astros now have five players who've reached 10 years of service: Pressly, Altuve, Verlander, Maldonado and Brantley

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Scraps said:

- brantley
- brantley
-brantley

Yeah- I mean, he talks confidently about stuff that he likely has no control over and is bullshit- and the stuff that he could be doing (putting the smack down on Dusty) he's meek as shit about.  I'm not getting a good vibe from this dude. I will put down whatever bet anyone wants that Tucker isn't an Astro for life.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

we love you wu but please stop doing this weird flex

It's not me flexing- it's our GM lying as Scraps pointed out.  I just can't believe anyone believes this stuff at this point. It's really weird how the Astros organization relates to the press and it's fanbase. I thought it was a Luhnow thing- but 3 GM's now and we still lie about injuries, don't let our medical staff talk to people (claim it's HIppa which is laughably dumb and incorrect) and apparently now we've added to that hyping up contract extensions that are clearly never going to come (he did that after the Javier extension). It's really fucking weird. I don't understand it at all. As this is now 3 different GM's and it gets progressively worse and worse it has to be a Crane thing, I guess, but I can't for the life of me figure out why he would want this out there when it's going to make him look like a dickhead in 2.5 years when we are never even a consideration for the dude.  Odd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It's not me flexing- it's our GM lying as Scraps pointed out.  I just can't believe anyone believes this stuff at this point. It's really weird how the Astros organization relates to the press and it's fanbase. I thought it was a Luhnow thing- but 3 GM's now and we still lie about injuries, don't let our medical staff talk to people (claim it's HIppa which is laughably dumb and incorrect) and apparently now we've added to that hyping up contract extensions that are clearly never going to come (he did that after the Javier extension). It's really fucking weird. I don't understand it at all. As this is now 3 different GM's and it gets progressively worse and worse it has to be a Crane thing, I guess, but I can't for the life of me figure out why he would want this out there when it's going to make him look like a dickhead in 2.5 years when we are never even a consideration for the dude.  Odd. 

So what's the issue?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

So what's the issue?

As a fan it's kind of nice to be able to believe your FO when they see fit to talk about something.  It's sort of bullshit that we are like the old Kremlinologists during the time of the cold war trying to parse out what gets distributed through Pravda.  Maybe you like it- but I prefer straight talk when appropriate mixed in with - we aren't going to talk about that when appropriate.  The astros go with option 3- lie and obfuscate.  

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

As a fan it's kind of nice to be able to believe your FO when they see fit to talk about something.  It's sort of bullshit that we are like the old Kremlinologists during the time of the cold war trying to parse out what gets distributed through Pravda.  Maybe you like it- but I prefer straight talk when appropriate mixed in with - we aren't going to talk about that when appropriate.  The astros go with option 3- lie and obfuscate.  

Which FO should the Astros emulate?

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Which FO should the Astros emulate?

I’m literally talking about their relationships with the media. 
Chandler Rome, for as big a douche bag as he is (and he’s a tremendous douche bag) had a list of people who handle injury reports in a sane way and make medical trainers available to media when requested. I would further state that the majority of fans don’t believe their Gm to be lying every time he’s on media. 
I’m open to hearing about how it’s a competitive advantage for us but I don’t believe it is- and it’s not helpful.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m literally talking about their relationships with the media. 
Chandler Rome, for as big a douche bag as he is (and he’s a tremendous douche bag) had a list of people who handle injury reports in a sane way and make medical trainers available to media when requested. I would further state that the majority of fans don’t believe their Gm to be lying every time he’s on media. 
I’m open to hearing about how it’s a competitive advantage for us but I don’t believe it is- and it’s not helpful.  

They've won two world championships doing it their way.

Edited by David Dennison

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They've won two world championships doing it their way.

You realize (or maybe you don't) I'm literally making a point about how they relate to the media, right? I mean, Bellicheck won a jillion super bowls but he's universally known as a dick right?