2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Let’s say Ohtani would sign a 3 year deal (he won’t). What’s the max you’d offer him?  I might go 3/250. I think that would actually make sense. 
Then, just pray he stays healthy during his absolute prime. 20 starts at pitcher and 100 DH appearances and let him win me a couple series almost by himself in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Let’s say Ohtani would sign a 3 year deal (he won’t). What’s the max you’d offer him?  I might go 3/250. I think that would actually make sense. 
Then, just pray he stays healthy during his absolute prime. 20 starts at pitcher and 100 DH appearances and let him win me a couple series almost by himself in the playoffs. 

I can't imagine he would take that when the starting price is expected to be 10/500.  Why take half as much when that's on the table?  The Mets or Yankees might offer 600m, cause you know they both want to buy some championships. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The thing is....we don't need him.

Agreed. It’s just a thought exercise. I’d keep that car in third gear during the regular season if he signed here. The only way you lose on the deal the next 3-5 years is if he gets hurt. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I can't imagine he would take that when the starting price is expected to be 10/500.  Why take half as much when that's on the table?  The Mets or Yankees might offer 600m, cause you know they both want to buy some championships. 

I put in there (he won’t) because I agree. The reason you’d take it is because of you sign a 10 year deal that’s probably the last of your money- but if you did a 3/250 or something you’d be a FA again at 31 and you might be able to talk someone into giving you 400 or something for the remainder of Your career. 
I think it’s going to be 12/600. Because I thought 10/500 was the number that made sense and everyone seems to be getting 2 more years. 

if the mets don't sign him i'm not sure who else can afford those numbers.  cubs maybe?  seems like the dodgers and yankees have a lot committed.  i guess the angels maybe re-sign him?

the funny thing about the shitty ass mets is they're actually doing things the smart way, if that's possible.  the way you win these days is to have a bunch of your own guys who are young and controlled contribute, and you add in a guy here or there through trade or fa.  the one thing you can't buy is prospects, unless you do what the mets are doing. 

if cohen has unlimited funds (he does) then they should be adding all the scherzers and verlanders every offseason and worst case you dump them for prospects like he did this year, essentially buying prospects.  i'd rather be a mets fan than an angels fan right now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if the mets don't sign him i'm not sure who else can afford those numbers.  cubs maybe?  seems like the dodgers and yankees have a lot committed.  i guess the angels maybe re-sign him?

the funny thing about the shitty ass mets is they're actually doing things the smart way, if that's possible.  the way you win these days is to have a bunch of your own guys who are young and controlled contribute, and you add in a guy here or there through trade or fa.  the one thing you can't buy is prospects, unless you do what the mets are doing. 

if cohen has unlimited funds (he does) then they should be adding all the scherzers and verlanders every offseason and worst case you dump them for prospects like he did this year, essentially buying prospects.  i'd rather be a mets fan than an angels fan right now.

He makes a ton of sense in SF. Giants are secretly a big market team that doesn’t always act like it. They need a star and he’s as big a star as it gets. 10/600 is nothing for them at current payroll level and it probably swings them from a borderline playoff team to a pretty solid playoff team. 
Concur in full on Mets being smart. 

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I agree with your point, but the Angels only lost by 8 today, not 18+6

Edited by runthebone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Justin Verlander’s ‘diva’ attitude didn’t sit well with Max Scherzer and some Mets ….

https://nypost.com/2023/08/12/justin-verlanders-diva-attitude-didnt-sit-well-with-max-scherzer-and-some-mets/

A Met told Puma that Verlander was a “diva” who was detached from his Mets teammates and complained about how the team’s analytics department was not at the level as the one he worked with during his first stint with the Astros

😂😂😂

Edited by tx 3 putt

I haven’t watched this in a while.  If you haven’t, I suggest you do.
I posted on there that this was the baseball equivalent to Texas/USC.

Since our game is over.

I haven't watched this in a while. If you haven't i suggest you do. Fun times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Justin Verlander’s ‘diva’ attitude didn’t sit well with Max Scherzer and some Mets ….

https://nypost.com/2023/08/12/justin-verlanders-diva-attitude-didnt-sit-well-with-max-scherzer-and-some-mets/

😂😂😂

all the players seem to love our clubhouse culture and i seriously doubt it's because they're a bunch of divas who are detached from their teammates.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Verlander is a pretty notorious diva, although that may not quite be the right word. But he big times people all the time including teammates. Maybe more dickhead than diva. But either way he obviously found some people in the Houston clubhouse that he got along with so whatever. 

That was exactly how I got the story from a guy that was a player in the tigers organization while JV was in Detroit. 

52 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Verlander is a pretty notorious diva, although that may not quite be the right word. But he big times people all the time including teammates. Maybe more dickhead than diva. But either way he obviously found some people in the Houston clubhouse that he got along with so whatever. 

not to be that guy, but i think certain professional athletes have to have that attitude or mentality.  ace pitchers, quarterbacks, professional golfers a lot of the time.  they need to get themselves to a place mentally and i'm willing to let most of that slide if the performance is there.  once i saw jv come back up from the clubhouse with no sleeves in g2 at dodger stadium, i knew i had seen enough.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

not to be that guy, but i think certain professional athletes have to have that attitude or mentality.  ace pitchers, quarterbacks, professional golfers a lot of the time.  they need to get themselves to a place mentally and i'm willing to let most of that slide if the performance is there.  once i saw jv come back up from the clubhouse with no sleeves in g2 at dodger stadium, i knew i had seen enough.

We want our star players to be cocky and have a chip on their shoulder, especially on game day. Look at 1000’s of Jordan stories. He’d make stuff up to get up for a game / opponent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you have unlimited money like Cohen why not?  

Well, I guess I’d say that if you do that enough times, it won’t be unlimited.

Cohen is extremely lucky he’s not on the hook for $315 million for Correa.

Edited by Victor Lazlo
Typing is hard

11 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Well, I guess I’d say that if you do that enough times, it won’t be unlimited.

Cohen is extremely lucky he’s not on the hook for $315 million for Correa.

WTF man. Correa is a league leader in GDP!

GDP man. He has the highest GDP IN THE LEAGUE.

I wonder how it ranks against Texas or a small country like Burkina Faso.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

If being “smart” is paying Verlander $80 million+ for 2/3 of a season plus two lottery tickets, well, call me stupid. 

Cohen’s mindset is that of a good investor. Admit your mistakes quickly, cut your losses and move on. Don’t rely on hope that it will come back. He knows that sunk cost are just that, sunk.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it usually doesn’t work. That’s not how you assemble a roster.

Use some of that money on scouting and office staff support. Plus, don’t you lose draft picks for going over budget ? 

You aren’t getting it- those signings allowed them to get three top 100 players in mlb. You can’t trade for draft picks and you can’t buy them. But you can do what they did which was the fallback for if things didn’t work. 
mom sure he’s spending on scouts as well. 
youdon’t lose picks per se but you lose spots in the draft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Cohen’s mindset is that of a good investor. Admit your mistakes quickly, cut your losses and move on. Don’t rely on hope that it will come back. He knows that sunk cost are just that, sunk.

Contrast that with the idiocy of San Diego and Anaheim. Trash organizations are trash for a reason and he’s smart. Unless he gets bored with being a baseball owner I expect the Mets to be the best team in NY for the next decade or two. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

so they paid $50mil for two prospects ?

thst’s a rather steep price for unproven talent 

No, you rube. You don’t get it.

The cost of a whole draft class of 20 players for a team this year maxed out at $16 million.

But genius owners have figured out that you can pay $50+ million for an AA and an A player.

How do you think they made enough money to became owners? By making many deals like that.

Duh

• Haha 1