45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

I’ve only briefly followed the NY civil trial because I assumed that Trump would owe some back taxes and a penalty. Something that would hurt but nothing crazy.

Then today I read that NY may be able to take ALL profits earned from fraudulent activities, even from other properties not specifically involved in this case.  I believe a connection has to be made such as the proven fraudulent activity allowed them to buy another property that they later sold for X profit. Something about a unique NY law from the 1950s that Trumps lawyers were perhaps unaware.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve only briefly followed the NY civil trial because I assumed that Trump would owe some back taxes and a penalty. Something that would hurt but nothing crazy.

Then today I read that NY may be able to take ALL profits earned from fraudulent activities, even from other properties not specifically involved in this case.  I believe a connection has to be made such as the proven fraudulent activity allowed them to buy another property that they later sold for X profit. Something about a unique NY law from the 1950s that Trumps lawyers were perhaps unaware.

It's called disgorgement, and yes, its happening.  

Probably worth noting that the DC Circuit has administratively stayed Chutkan's gag order.  This is not a ruling on the merits, but just a stay until they can rule on whether a stay will remain in effect pending appeal.  So Trump can continue to talk shit for a few more days, at least.

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/orders.nsf/25D0420D1689A77785258A5C00747328/$file/23-3190LDSN.pdf

Also worth noting that they have scheduled the entire appeal, including oral argument, to be finished by November 20.  A decision will follow presumably soon thereafter.

This is lightning, blazing, Mach 4 fast.  I'm not sure if it's because it's a gag order or kind of standard treatment for an interlocutory (before final judgment) appeal in a criminal case, which is typically a rare thing.

Hopefully, the DC Circuit contends with any other Trump appeals, mainly the presidential immunity one, similarly quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:50 PM, dcbc said:

I perceive the blow back you get for some of your posts in this thread to be not inconsistent with the blow back Trump's lawyer's get from him when they try to tell him things he doesn't want to hear.  That reaction is pretty common with most clients when their lawyer tells them things they don't want to hear.  It gives me a few unpleasant flashbacks to that time early in my career when I had to deal with clients and explain to them how they would be better off not doing the things that caused them all the trouble in the first place.  It sucks having a client like that because you have to do a lot more work to continue to represent them but not run afoul of the rules yourself.  And there was no way I was going to break the law for anyone.  There's just some money you don't need to make.  But I digress.  The point is, when lawyers try to explain parts of the legal process to nonlawyers, particularly about the contortions the legal system will put itself through to ensure due process in a criminal cases where they defendant was caught in the bank holding the bag of money, it can result in some nasty reactions because most law-abiding people don't like criminals.  But these safeguards which protect us protect them as well, and for good reason.  Keep the posts coming.   

no other option sucking GIF

• Haha 2

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Trump on Truth Soviet over the past few hours - reposting a bunch of meaningless polls, and then these gems:

Wow! Just found out that Corrupt and Racist Attorney General Letitia James of New York State is financially backed by George Soros. No wonder this “TRUMP CASE,” being presided over by a highly partisan and out of control Judge who found me guilty before the trial even started, wouldn’t allow a JURY, and said Mar-a-Lago, in Palm Beach, Florida, was worth only $18,000,000, when it is worth 50 to 100 times that amount, has become an embarrassment to the New York Judiciary. No new businesses want any part of this charade. WITCH HUNT!

Kim Reynolds told me that she was going to remain NEUTRAL because Iowa was, “Thank you President Trump,” FIRST IN THE NATION. She wanted to campaign with everyone. I told her that I should have “remained neutral” when she asked me to help her get elected, and that I didn’t want or need her to campaign with me. I am now 41+Points up in Iowa!

If and when Kim Reynolds of Iowa endorses Ron DeSanctimonious, who is absolutely dying in the polls both in Iowa and Nationwide, it will be the end of her political career in that MAGA would never support her again, just as MAGA will never support DeSanctimonious again. Two extremely disloyal people getting together is, however, a very beautiful thing to watch. They can now remain loyal to each other because nobody else wants them!!!

And he wants everybody to know that he personally kept Israel safe for four straight years.

“For four straight years under the Trump Administration, I kept America safe, I kept Israel safe, and I kept the entire world safe.” — President Trump in Kissimmee, Florida

He's reposting catturd2 who made the transition to TS

Back to reality ...

Every DeSantis online "influencer" has lost 80% of their engagements.
Trump influencers engagements have doubled or tripled.
Trump is dominating in the polls.
Trump's online team is dominating on X and Truth.
DeSantis is in free fall and won't recover.

Angry at Kim Reynolds

That’s because people don’t like disloyalty! I opened the position for Reynolds, so she became Governor of Iowa, by moving Terry Branstad to China as Ambassador. I then helped her when she was substantially down and losing to the Democrat Candidate, and worked hard to get her Elected, including an Endorsement and Big TRUMP Rallies. Very importantly, I was the sole reason that Iowa remained FIRST IN THE NATION. I was Strong on Ethanol, DeSantis voted against it, and other things bad for Iowa, like wanting to destroy Social Security and Medicare. Despite all of this, Reynolds remained Neutral on Endorsements, and she is now America’s most Unpopular Governor, and Ron DeSanctimonious is Second. That’s what happens when you are disloyal to those that got you there!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

So my bet is that today Trump dies three miles outside of Independence of Dysentery on the stand.  

Wait Trump is dying today? I swear I would gladly accept 50 point losses in all of Texas' remaining games in exchange for that. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So today's the day?

3 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Is this going to be live on tv?

Don't know, but from the NYTimes...

Privately, Mr. Trump has told advisers that he is not concerned about his time on the stand. He held preparation sessions when he was in New York attending the trial, according to people briefed on the matter. Mr. Trump is deeply, personally enraged by this trial — and the fact that his children have had to testify, according to several people who have spoken with him — and he may not be able to restrain himself on the stand.

excited oh boy GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Don't know, but from the NYTimes...

excited oh boy GIF

Kind of along this line, I saw this article on AP.  https://apnews.com/article/trump-new-york-fraud-lawsuit-business-empire-bd06bf8db3a14a9d2f10eb69b300c1d3

I had misunderestimated how many times Trump had testified in various cases, meaning those cases went to trial.  So, he wasn't always able to delay, delay, delay, settle, but I still think that was his number one tactic and that wound up keeping him out of the fact-based venue that is an American court room.

I think, though, that in the past he was less pressured than he is now and probably also just generally more sane than he is now.  Also, actually, probably more tethered to reality and to facts than he is now.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think, though, that in the past he was less pressured than he is now and probably also just generally more sane than he is now.  Also, actually, probably more tethered to reality and to facts than he is now.

Yeah, I'm no Trump historian, but I doubt his entire business empire has ever been at risk like it is now.

• Hook 'Em 1

NY Times is following live.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/11/06/nyregion/trump-fraud-trial

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Please don't post that gif again

Why not?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'm no Trump historian, but I doubt his entire business empire has ever been at risk like it is now.

This.  Though right before he went in, he was blustering for the reporters and cameras.  Hearing what he is doing on the stand, like night and day.  It is too bad it isn't televised.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So what is the best scenario that can come out of this trial?

His business is stripped of anything worthwhile and he is broke as a joke.  At least, that is what I am hoping for.  Fuck him.  I want him to be poor before he goes to jail.

Making a rich person poor is the best revenge, or at least, that is what I heard. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not much.  Fines and penalties and forceable dissolution of some Trump Org. assets.  It'll prove what we all know, he's not that wealthy, he's a rather shoddy businessman with the negotiating prowess of one of my children trying to get a different Happy Meal toy at McDonald's.  

For us, as people who still give fuck one about the country we call home...we get to watch him visibly/audibly squirm as he has to admit he's full of shit and doesn't actually know what the fuck he's doing after 55 years in commercial real estate.  

But this is a clever tactic.  The thing he's most proud of is his business acumen.  That's what he ran on in 2015/early 2016.  HE has other fallback positions now-rescuing America from Biden to resume his great 8-year plan, draining the swamp, etc.  But remember, originally it was all about his personal success and leading the effort to supplant Obama/Pelosi/Hillary's America with his own personal successes using his patented and proven 10-point plan.  Once that layer is peeled back and exposed, his confidence and support will wane but he'll overcompensate for that by becoming even more adversarial and unpredictable and spout off more lies under oath in the other 3 upcoming trials.  First you break his wealth mystique and his lack of confidence will be a self-fulfilling domino effect.

Remember, he is never, ever, ever going to jail.  Come to terms with that now.  The idea is to either run him ragged so he dies or is defeated.  The first one is up to Mother Nature.  The second one is up to keeping enough of his kinda middle to moderate to supporters home on Election Day thinking, "I hate Biden, but I just fucking can't with this guy anymore."  You're not gonna turn anybody on to Biden that was for Trump.  Maybe you pick up some rare/independent voters, but best case is to keep ~10mm former Trump voters home because of the shit he's about to pull in the next few months.  That is something which we can assist.  The rest is up to the simulation.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, from the trial itself, he's already been found liable for this odd species of business fraud, which apparently triggers the remedies of cancellation of his entities' authorization to do business in NY.  Exactly where that goes is a bit hard to tell, but it's not good for him and his properties located in NY.  It also triggers a financial penalty in the form of "disgorgement" of his ill-gotten gains.  Apparently, the kind of max number there is $250M, which ain't chump change.  We'll see what the court awards.

There will, of course, be an appeal.  And, as has already been indicated, I suspect that's going to hold off any liquidation of Trump's businesses, and the actual collection of any financial penalty, subject to his posting a bond for it.

This has already been appealed a couple of times, and, so far, Engoron's rulings have mostly held up.  As I have stated previously, I am a little worried that the court of appeals may reverse or modify some of the more punitive remedies awarded.  It may, it may not, but I think it's a legitimate concern.  Appeal to the highest civil court in NY is discretionary, so I don't really know the odds of it making it to the second level of appeal.  US Supreme Court review is pretty much 100% off the table.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Also, if you are reading the Times' live update, it is obvious so much of what he does is performative (DUH).  He is a fucking actor.  He has no business being President.  What a fucking joke this guy is.  

"The judge, Arthur F. Engoron, turned to Trump after he gave a lengthy answer and said he’d like to move things along, telling Trump, “Please, just answer the question. No speeches.” Trump smirked."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I don't understand ^ this sentence, but I read Trump and Dysentery in Chris Walken's voice and all I can think of is DJT shoving that ladies sportswatch up his own ass.  

And we are laughing.

You never played Oregon Trail?  

“Mr. Kise, can you control your client?” he says, right on time. “This is not a political rally.” He asks Kise to have a talk with Trump right now.

So, I thought they were called by the plaintiff?  Is the state questioning?

ETA:  Yes the state is questioning.  I was just distracted by the involvement of Kise.  I assume that he is a "hostile witness," which means the state gets to ask "leading" or yes or no-type questions as if on cross-examination.  Those type of questions do not invite a narrative answer, which is what Trump is doing and is impermissible under the rules, assuming the judge and questioning lawyer object.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

“Mr. Kise, can you control your client?” he says, right on time. “This is not a political rally.” He asks Kise to have a talk with Trump right now.

So, I thought they were called by the plaintiff?  Is the state questioning?

Is this being televised anywhere live?

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Is this being televised anywhere live?

Hopefully on CCTV piped directly into Don, Jr.'s dealer's apartment where he's mixing fentanyl into the 8-ball telling his side piece, "It's the humane thing to do, we're doing him a favor really..." 

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Hopefully on CCTV piped directly into Don, Jr.'s dealer's apartment where he's mixing fentanyl into the 8-ball telling his side piece, "It's the humane thing to do, we're doing him a favor really..." 

Oddly specific.

• Haha 1