2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I’d take a qb like Thompson as a backup assuming he’d be willing to just be a backup.  He’d have been better than Maalik by a mile. FSU could have used someone of his ability instead of the two garbage backups they rolled out.  A Casey Thompson type can do well enough to throw to the weapons FsU has where they would have had two blowouts the last two weeks and made the playoffs. The delta between what FSU had at starter and backups is what kept them out of playoffs.  Biggest delta I’ve seen since VY and Nordgren.  The kind of delta that is worth 20 points or so.  

We only need a portal backup if Ewers leaves.  We are set otherwise.  

The only experienced QB that would come to Texas would have to be a 6th year journeyman without a NFL future that is looking for a guaranteed GA job after the season. 

3 hours ago, Constant said:

Oh, I 100% agree Lebby and Venables are also to blame. The decimation began with Riley, though. Taking Williams and M. Nelson with him to USC fucked everything. 

Lebby and Venables bringing in Gabriel was a positive, but everything else to set the room right was a failure. I can’t even put into words how bad Lebby was as a quarterback coach and manager of his room. What happened at QB in ‘22 should never happen at OU. Lebby got Arnold on campus, and I give him credit for that, but he also managed to fuck Arnolds first year as well. Just monumental levels of bull shit. 

Keep going, I’m almost there.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Catalon could potentially get some meaningful snaps if Williams is out for the first half.. but maybe he'd rather hurry up and get to Utah for an 8th year of college.

Pretty sure it’s been established Williams doesn’t have to serve the suspension until Game 1 of next season. 

20 minutes ago, MrX said:

Pretty sure it’s been established Williams doesn’t have to serve the suspension until Game 1 of next season. 

Not to derail this too far, but I have yet to see any actual evidence of this being a thing besides twitter fan wish-casting.

So if he got the targeting penalty on the opening kickoff of the game, he misses the entire game but if it happens on the opening kickoff of the second half, he only has to serve half a suspension and can push the other half to next season? I know the NCAA is incompetent but that is not how this stuff works. The whole point of the rule is player safety and discouraging those type of hits. Allowing guys to defer punishment takes away the entire point of the rule.

With that said, considering Catalon was running third string and didn’t even see a snap Saturday I don’t think he was playing anyway regardless of the status of Williams.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I’d take a qb like Thompson as a backup assuming he’d be willing to just be a backup.  He’d have been better than Maalik by a mile. FSU could have used someone of his ability instead of the two garbage backups they rolled out.  A Casey Thompson type can do well enough to throw to the weapons FsU has 

You have more faith in Casey Thompson than I do to hit wide open receivers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

FSU’s third string QB was committed to Ohio State at 1 point. I had to pause and rewind the podcast when I heard that. I assume he was part of 2 QB class. 

The kid might be good someday. He just wasn’t ready. 

Brock Glenn decommitted when tOSU went after Lincoln Kienholz to flip him from Washington. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not to derail this too far, but I have yet to see any actual evidence of this being a thing besides twitter fan wish-casting.

So if he got the targeting penalty on the opening kickoff of the game, he misses the entire game but if it happens on the opening kickoff of the second half, he only has to serve half a suspension and can push the other half to next season? I know the NCAA is incompetent but that is not how this stuff works. The whole point of the rule is player safety and discouraging those type of hits. Allowing guys to defer punishment takes away the entire point of the rule.

With that said, considering Catalon was running third string and didn’t even see a snap Saturday I don’t think he was playing anyway regardless of the status of Williams.

This interaction is the only thing I’ve seen that offers some stuff from the rule book. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Playing Gabriel again in 2024 could mildly suck, but he’s going to be on a bad team and in a game with real officials. He won’t have the OU unlimited holding cheat code working in his favor. 
Absolutely nothing about his game is scary, we'll be facing a better QB in a few weeks.

I agree with you, but Looch claims he has a source on the aggy side, the Ohio State side, and the agent side that said Day to aggy was never happening. No explanation given. Just said that it wasn’t a possibility. 

I don’t know where Day could retreat to. Notre Dame could make sense, but I don’t think they’d fire Freeman after showing some signs of life after 3 years. 
How long has Napier been at Gata now? I think their patience is wearing thin.

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If you give Nolen a raise after entering the portal, you're just encouraging more of your players to enter.  That's how you get more money, by scaring the money guys. 

Always remember, the most important thing to Aggies is what everyone else thinks about them. They’ll pay Nolen more because they want it to look like he loves it there. They can’t bear the thought of him leaving and then being mocked for it. Nevermind that we are going to mock them for overpaying for a guy who has done nothing there. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Teryor said:

10 Potential Texas Targets - Scruggs

Hide contents

The NCAA Transfer Portal window has officially opened today and madness is expected. 

Hundreds of players have already announced their intentions to enter the portal and hundreds if not thousands more will be joining them over the next few days. 

With the success the team is having in 2023 and overall sense of direction the program is heading in towards the future, Texas is viewed as one of, if not the most preferred destinations for portal players all throughout the nation. That said, there will be plenty of portal players trying to make their way to Austin, and luckily for Texas, with so many candidates the Longhorns staff should be able to pick and choose who they actually want at most positions. 

No one in college football makes more money or has more leverage than players in the portal (specifically quarterbacks and edge rushers) who have shown they can produce at the power five level. If you don’t get it already, NIL is commonly one of, if not the biggest factor(s) for high level players looking to find a home in the portal. It’s obviously the same for high level high school prospects too, but in the portal everything is amplified and the numbers are much higher because by this point most players have already shown what they can do and schools have a pretty good idea of what they’re getting and/or looking for. On the same note, Texas isn’t going to reach for any players and if a number gets too high for them on a player that they feel isn’t worth it, they won’t agree to it. 

Texas making it to the College Football Playoff will make things a little bit tricky in terms of getting players in and out of the program via the portal with the window being open for just barely over a month from Dec. 4 to Jan. 2. Luckily for Texas they’ll have the window extended five days since the Longhorns made a bowl game, but nonetheless there will still be logistical challenges as sources tell Horns247 that several players who had been planning on leaving via the portal are now hoping to stay on the team through the Longhorns playoff run. As of this morning we’re still expecting at least one Texas player to enter the portal today, and as you’d assume we already have several stories written for players we either already know are leaving or players we’re expecting to leave. 

Without further ado, here’s 10 players to watch for Texas in the portal.

Disclaimer: Every player on this list has either announced their intentions to enter the portal, is in the portal, or I have sourced intel that tells me they’ll be in the portal.

(Player order determined by position)

RALEEK BROWN, RB, USC

Raleek Brown (Photo: Chris Trevino | USCfootball.com, 247Sports)

A Stockton, California native, Brown was rated as the nation’s No. 3 running back and as a top 100 prospect by both 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite Rankings after Brown prepped his junior and senior season at national powerhouse Mater Dei. A bit of an interesting case, Brown saw action in all 14 of the Trojans games during Brown's true freshman season but was switched from running back to wide receiver prior to the start of the 2023 season. The thing is, Brown had a redshirt season as he only played in two games this fall at his new position (wide receiver) before announcing his intentions to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal. In 16 games of action for the Trojans, Brown accounted for 243 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns off 45 carries (5.4 YPC) while also adding 193 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns off of 19 receptions (10.16 YPC).

At 5-foot-8 and 185 pounds with four years of eligibility left, Brown is one of the more coveted players at his position in all of the transfer portal and he’ll have plenty of options to choose from due to his versatility as someone who can play both running back and wide receiver at a high level. In speaking with sources, I’ve been told to watch out for Texas and Utah. While I haven’t yet spoken with anyone in Austin about what exactly Brown’s role would be if he were to come to Texas, I’m under heavy assumption that he would be utilized in the same way that Keilan Robinson is as Robinson and Brown share many similarities in their games.

JERAND BRADLEY, WR, TEXAS TECH

Jerand Bradley (Photo: Steven Chapman, 247Sports)

A Frisco, Texas native, Bradley prepped at several high schools in the DFW Metroplex area but graduated from DeSoto in 2021 and was rated as a three-star prospect by both 247Sports and the Composite. Bradley has three seasons left of eligibility after he redshirted his freshman season in Lubbock in 2021. In his three years and 28 games of action for the Red Raiders, Bradley has hauled in 1,274 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns off of 92 receptions for an average of 13.84 yards per catch.

At 6-foot-5, 215 pounds, Bradley presents the physical big-bodied outside wide receiver that the Texas staff is hoping to reel in through the transfer portal and he’ll have no shortage of options to choose from as others look to fill the same need. While Bradley’s recruiting process in the portal still has a ways to go, I’ve been told by a source close to him that Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA, and USC are the five programs to watch. Texas has a unique angle here that I think will really help them down the road though, and I’m expecting Texas to be in this till the end at the least.

WILL SHEPPARD, WR, VANDERBILT

Will Sheppard (Photo: © Steve Roberts-USA TODAY Sports, USA TODAY Sports)

A native of Mandeville, Louisiana, Sheppard will be one of the most sought after players in the portal. In Sheppard’s four seasons at Vanderbilt he’s played in 42 games (starting 35 of them) and has hauled in 2,067 yards and 21 touchdowns off of 152 receptions (13.59 YPC).

Not only is the production great, but it’s the fact that he consistently produced in a conference as good as the SEC that will make him one of the more coveted players in all of the portal. At 6-foot-3, 198 pounds, Sheppard also fits the same need that Bradley would as the big-bodied outside wide receiver that the Longhorns would like to add to their offense. The only downside that I could see teams not liking is how he only has one year of eligibility left with the extra year that was given out to players during the Covid-19 shortened 2020 season. Not a ton is known about who the potential competition could be, but I’ve been told by a well placed source that Sheppard’s preferred destination is Austin, Texas.

JUICE WELLS, WR, SOUTH CAROLINA

Antwane Wells (Photo: Ryan Bethea, 247Sports)

Notice a trend here? Another big-bodied receiver at 6-foot-1, 208 pounds that shares some similarities to both Bradley and Sheppard, it’s been well documented that Wells has interest in Texas.

It’s actually Wells’ second time being in the portal, but this time he’s doing it as a grad transfer, as he played his first two collegiate seasons at James Madison University before transferring to South Carolina where he’s spent the last two seasons. In his four years in college, he’s played in 38 games with 27 of those appearances being starts. Again similar to Sheppard, Wells has shown he can produce, but more importantly has shown he can do it in the SEC conference, as in four years (two years of SEC play) he’s hauled in 187 receptions for 2,818 yards (15.06 YPC) and 28 touchdowns.

Wells will have at least two seasons of eligibility remaining after he was in college for the 2020 Covid-19 shortened season but also because he can get a redshirt for this past season since he only played in three games for South Carolina in 2023. His season was shortened due to an injury he suffered in South Carolina's week three game vs. Georgia, an injury in which he never returned. While I’ve confirmed with sources that Wells’ preferred destination is Austin, Texas, I think there could be some potential concerns by schools due to the injury he suffered last year, although I doubt it'll matter.

MATTHEW GOLDEN, WR, HOUSTON

Matthew Golden (Photo: James Guillory, USA TODAY Sports)

Golden hasn’t announced any intentions to enter the portal yet, but after speaking with sources close to him I’m fully expecting him to be in the portal if Houston’s wide receivers coach Daikiel Shorts isn’t retained by Willie Fritz and the staff he’s putting together to coach the Cougars. If Shorts is brought back by Fritz, I’ve been told by the same source that it’s more likely than not that Golden will stay put in Houston.

That said, if Golden were to enter he’d be one of the most sought after players in the portal and I think that’s without question as he’s put up 988 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns off of 76 receptions (13 YPC) while also adding 437 return yards and 2 touchdowns off 14 kick return attempts (21.9 YPKR). At 6-foot, 190 pounds Golden also has value with his versatility because he has the talent and IQ to be successful at any of the receiver positions. Texas has some familiarity to offer in this one as Golden played his high school ball at Klein Cain and was teammates and in the same graduating class as second year running back Jaydon Blue. If Golden enters the portal he’ll have no shortage of options to choose from, but that said I’d expect Texas to make a pretty significant push for him if he ends up available. If/when Golden enters the portal, I’m told that Louisville, LSU, Texas, and SMU will be the ones to watch.

EVAN STEWART, WR, TEXAS A&M

Evan Stewart (Photo: Jake Crandall, USA TODAY Sports)

Like Golden, Stewart has yet to announce any intentions to enter the portal, but after speaking with sources throughout the last few days I’m expecting Stewart to eventually enter. If that were to happen, he would immediately be the top wide receiver in the portal and I don’t think that’s up for debate.

Through two seasons and 18 games of action for the Aggies, Stewart has hauled in 91 receptions for 1,163 yards (12.78 YPC) and 6 touchdowns. Stewart’s camp has been keeping an incredibly tight lid on everything and not a ton is getting out on when or if he could enter the portal, but I feel good enough about my sources here to include him on this list. I’d expect Stewart’s camp to remain quiet if/when he does go in the portal, meaning the legitimate contenders could be pretty hard to find out but I'm under the impression it'll be made up of the schools that were in the mix for him out of high school. That said, I’d fully expect Texas and every other top program in the nation to be in hot pursuit of the No. 1 ranked wide receiver prospect in the 2022 class. While I personally don’t see it happening just because of the rivalry dynamics and other dynamics at hand, there are sources I’ve spoken with that truly feel like Texas has a legitimate shot to land Stewart if he were to go in the portal.

SAMUEL BROWN, WR, HOUSTON

Sam Brown (Photo: Robert Sellers, 247Sports)

Houston’s leading wide receiver for the 2023 season and by a fair margin (237 more yards than second place), I’m expecting Brown to enter the transfer portal after speaking with several sources last night.

Brown started his career at West Virginia where he put up just 10 receptions for 107 yards in two seasons for the Mountaineers before entering the transfer portal and finding a home at Houston. In his two seasons at Houston, he's played in 23 games and has accounted for 103 receptions and 1,286 yards (12.49 YPC) and 7 touchdowns with a good chunk of that coming from this past season where he had 62 receptions for 815 yards (13.15) and 3 touchdowns. I just found out about Brown’s intentions last night so that said I’ve yet to speak to any other sources about him, but I’d expect plenty of schools to be interested in him and wouldn’t be shocked if Texas is one of them.

JAMAREE CALDWELL, DL, HOUSTON

Jamaree Caldwell (Photo: Houston Athletics)

Almost an identical situation to Golden, I’m expecting Caldwell to depart from Houston if Cougars defensive line coach Brian Early isn’t retained by Willie Fritz as Fritz builds his new Houston staff over the next few days. Also like Golden’s situation with Shorts, if Early is retained by Houston I’ve been told it’s more likely than not that Caldwell will remain a Cougar in 2023. 

Caldwell will have one year of eligibility left as he’s spent two seasons in Houston after spending two years in the JUCO ranks following his high school career. Caldwell is likely a name Texas fans will remember after he wreaked havoc against the Longhorns in 2023 with his two sacks on Quinn Ewers being the headliner of his great day of play vs. Texas on Oct. 21. After putting up 26 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 1 block on special teams in 2023, Caldwell will be a highly coveted player in the portal if he were to enter. I haven’t been told by anyone that Texas would be involved if Caldwell were to enter the portal, but with the names of schools that I have heard will be involved, I’d expect Texas to at least have interest. If Caldwell enters the portal, it’s very likely his destination will be an SEC school or one of the top ACC programs. 

KYLE KENNARD, DL, GEORGIA TECH

Kyle Kennard (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Kennard didn’t venture too far from home when choosing Georgia Tech out of high school as a member of the 2020 class. In four seasons of play for the Yellow Jackets, Kennard has played in 42 games (20 starts) and has been credited with 115 total tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 interception. 

Kennard will have plenty of options to choose from in the portal, and while I’ve been told Texas is one of Kennard’s preferred destinations, I’ve yet to check in with anyone in Austin about him and I’m not entirely sure how much interest the Longhorns would have.

KORIE BLACK, CB, OKLAHOMA STATE

Korie Black (Photo: Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports, USA TODAY Sports)

The older brother of Waco Connally four-star defensive back and Texas priority target Kobe Black, Longhorns fans should know Korie quite well as Texas has gone against him four years in a row.

While Black is yet to announce any intentions of entering the portal, I felt it was worth including him on this list as I was sure to be asked about him anyways. I’ve been tracking the elder Black since rumors started a few weeks ago, and here’s what I know after speaking to sources near Black pretty regularly for the last couple of weeks: Black wasn’t a huge fan of his draft grade that was provided to him by the NFL, and in turn, he’s heavily considering returning to college for one more season, however I’m told a decision on his future is still yet to be made as of Sunday morning. Based off what I know at this point I’d say it’s slightly more likely Black remains in Stillwater instead of another college for his last year of eligibility, but the possibility of him entering the portal is certainly not off the table. In talking to sources in Austin, there’s an understanding that Black is the level of player Texas would take out of the portal, but I can assure you he’ll have plenty of options if he were to go in the portal and so will Texas. That said, it’s worth a reminder that Texas will not reach on any players if there’s better players available but also if the program deems a price is too high. Regardless of that statement, we’re going to continue to track Black until an NFL or portal decision has been made.

Ralwek Brown as an all-purpose player, and Juice Wells + Matthew Golden for our two WR transfer needs. 

Fuck Evan "may I take your order" Stewart. He's a leper. Stay as far away as humanly possible. Just send him to Spinalonga and with the rest of his kind. 

Caldwell is a give me now, got damnit! I think our culture would be good enough to take care of anyone who steps out of line, so I would absolutely love to have both Caldwell and Nolan. They're players you don't pass on. 

16 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey is on IT Live right now saying that Juice Wells inspired him to go on to bigger and better things. He said Juice is the best player he's ever played with as well. Thinks if Juice stays healthy next year where ever he ends up that he will be a 1st round draft pick.

I love that he supposedly has very, very strong interest in Texas. Mitchell did wonders for us. Plus our offense is so diverse that we can literally just rotate studs if we need to in a few games if say, one of our guys are having issues in weather ot whatever the fuck. 

16 hours ago, NoName said:

Lebby managed the QB room about as poorly as one could.

they had to burn his RS in the BYU game when Gabriel had his "concussion" to end the first half because they played him vs SMU and ISU for some wild reason (no attempted passes in either game)

image.png.f92ac7830ade40d3a1d2a910acdb7eaf.png

He's gonna be a good QB for them. So I can't want for our defense to end his season 

1 hour ago, ousux said:
5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Playing Gabriel again in 2024 could mildly suck, but he’s going to be on a bad team and in a game with real officials. He won’t have the OU unlimited holding cheat code working in his favor. 

Absolutely nothing about his game is scary, we'll be facing a better QB in a few weeks.

His ability to scramble on busted plays fucked us, so I’m not sure I’d use absolutes in this situation. That said, yes, obviously Penix is better. 

17 hours ago, utexas8 said:

What happened to the dude he was battling it out originally for? I remember it was between us and Ohio state and then Quinn transferred here. Devin brown?

Dude is a baller just for choosing to wear #33 in honor of Sammy Baugh. The fact that he knows who he is and how great he was makes me pull for the kid. 

I'm not checking to see if anyone has mentioned this, but how about if the staff went after Jake Johnson? Dude is 6'5 240...i can't see the staff passing on him if he went to the portal (assuming he doesn't portal to UNC, and I don't know now much they use their TE). I think he would thrive here with Gunnar Helm. 

17 hours ago, Atticus said:

Nah. Jeremiah Smith is a true freshman baller coming in. They have some really good young guys on campus right now too. 

He was one of the inevitable high 4-star/5 star receivers they get that didn't pan out. He actually got a lot of PT, but never really became a top target.

247 had that dude rated 100. Their ratings are weird. That have DJU as a 101. I don't get it, but yeah, for bus hype he's been a bust thus far.  

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Always remember, the most important thing to Aggies is what everyone else thinks about them. They’ll pay Nolen more because they want it to look like he loves it there. They can’t bear the thought of him leaving and then being mocked for it. Nevermind that we are going to mock them for overpaying for a guy who has done nothing there. 

I sure hope Texas and Alabama are bidding up his aggy retainment. He's a great player to get stuck with, but aggy needs a win desperately right now. Be nice to force them to really overspend.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas State (7-5) vs. Rice (6-6)

The Bobcats are in a bowl game for the first time ever after a season that included a win over Baylor and two other bowl-eligible Sun Belt teams. Rice is looking for its first winning season since 2014 and will be without QB JT Daniels as he’s been forced to medically retire due to multiple concussions.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Texas State (7-5) vs. Rice (6-6)

The Bobcats are in a bowl game for the first time ever after a season that included a win over Baylor and two other bowl-eligible Sun Belt teams. Rice is looking for its first winning season since 2014 and will be without QB JT Daniels as he’s been forced to medically retire due to multiple concussions.

Rice has never been in a bowl game? Intradasting. 

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Came to post exactly this.  I believe CTJ posted yesterday that Nolen would be asking for a big payday, and his production doesn't really match the ask.  He has the talent, but doesn't really seem to give a shit, assuming he even plays.

This feels like the perfect combination of him likely not receiving the level of interest he had hoped for and aggy feeling like they can't take another ego hit right now.  I wonder how much of a raise aggy gave him bidding against themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Was this posted in jest? Because an aggy student with 540 followers probably isn't the most in tune with their portal going ons

Yes. It’s to the point where Aggies are celebrating a player that has been a huge disappointment not portaling as a recruiting win.  It made it laugh at the absurdity of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.