2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif?w=144

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Wait. You were joking? You thought the shit you were typing was funny? 

Also, you don't need to respond to every single person calling you an idiot. And if a ton of people are calling you a boring dolt, maybe shut the fuck up. You don't need to respond to every single person calling you out, Derka. 

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not funny, just a throw away observation, but thanks for outing yourself even though I wasn't targeting you personally with that commentemoji23.png

Guys, geez. Let's all take a deep breath here and realize that we're all cheering for the same team with similar interests. No need for the vitriol on this level.

• Haha 3

So it sounds like our most like transfers are:

DL

• Swanson
  • Tapp
  • Mitchell

LB

• Burrell is already gone
  • Akana

DB

• Austin Jordan
  • Are we worried about anyone else? Gilbeau?

RB

• Red

WR

• Niblett

TE

• Juan Davis (sorry Imma)

OL

• Kirkland
  • Cojoe
  • Connor Robertson

Do any of these cause real pain? I know we don't want to lose these guys, but do any of them meaningfully impact our odds of winning a title?

I see some quality depth on that list, nothing more than that. I will say I was hoping Akana would become a beast, but if we have too many LB's/edge rushers with better skill sets, so be it.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Do any of these cause real pain? I know we don't want to lose these guys, but do any of them meaningfully impact our odds of winning a title?

Not for this season, no. But you always hate to lose young, high-ceiling players that could turn into meaningfully impactful players in a couple years. You never know when you're losing the next T'Vondre Sweat.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

So it sounds like our most like transfers are:

DL

• Swanson
  • Tapp
  • Mitchell

LB

• Burrell is already gone
  • Akana

DB

• Austin Jordan
  • Are we worried about anyone else? Gilbeau?

RB

• Red

WR

• Niblett

TE

• Juan Davis (sorry Imma)

OL

• Kirkland
  • Cojoe
  • Connor Robertson

Sark was singing Gilbeau's praises yesterday in his PC I believe Holmes is the db to watch that may be "painful"

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ousux said:

I will say I was hoping Akana would become a beast, but if we have too many LB's/edge rushers with better skill sets, so be it.

This may be a rather easy question, but I ask it without fear of reprisal, lol.

Why is Akana listed on the depth chart at Sam?  At only 215, wouldn't Will be more appropriate?

Or does it mean that he's not good in coverage?

Edited by DixonHur

Why is Akana listed on the depth chart at Sam?  At only 215, wouldn't Will be more appropriate?
Since he hasn't played a single down and I haven't observed practice, really can't say. It's probably more about the strong Poly ties with me than Akana himself, I don't like USC, BYU, Utah and Oregon pretty much cornering the market on the best Islander/Islander heritage players.

Not for this season, no. But you always hate to lose young, high-ceiling players that could turn into meaningfully impactful players in a couple years. You never know when you're losing the next T'Vondre Sweat.
TSRH^^

But if Sark keeps recruiting at a high level it won't matter as much.

On 4/10/2024 at 8:49 AM, Helobious said:

My most hated athlete of all-time is David Ortiz fwiw. I can be objective. I’ve known of Martinez since he was a recruit because of his status as a homie, but I mean he’s done nothing but show out at the P5 level. Thought it’d be worth it to bring him in since he’s at the top of his game, vs our current RB’s who while talented are still growing/learning. But fuck me I guess. 

I have nothing against you. I just noticed your avatar and decided to be a dick:

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Manny Ramirez , Pedro Martinez, Bronson Arroyo (best series he ever ptiched. Schilling was right about him having a brass pair. At least during those 7 games), Orlando Cabrera, and Pedro Astacio (and I KNOW I'm fogetting a shotloads of Latinos on that team)? More or less likable than Schilling, Wakefield, Youkilis, Trot Nixon, Kevin Millar, Varitek, Dae Roberts, and/or Damon (who's half-Thai so  I don't know if he counts). 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 4/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, closetojumping said:

Burrell is gone. Okay. 

Names more likely than others, apparently:

Red, Cojoe, Robertson, Kirkland, Holmes,  Davis (don’t tell @immamac), and Jordan. 

No guarantees and there could well be others, but none of those above should shock anyone. 

Merril is a longer term contributor to the AD and program. I assume he’s there until he’s a GA or something. 

Not thrilled about Cojoe, Red, Kirkland, & maybe Jordan leaving . There's definitely some upside (which really just means they havent done anything yet) on that list but I guess this is how CFB is now. If you've got chance to win something and those guys weren't gonna play much at least a year PLUS you had a chance to "trade" thejm for Tiaoalii Savea, Amari Niblack, Kendrick Blackshire, Silas Bolden, Isaiah Bond, Trey Moore, Andrew Mukuba,  and Matthew Golden, I'll take that move every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's REALLY easy dec/sion, actually. Those guyd have already mostlt fulfilled their potential. They're better players in every way than the few we]re losing (although I do thin Red wouod SHINE of given a chance. I jjust think Bolden is a better fit for that position). 

i guess I just have an irrational fear of losing any young player even if we have a replacement lined up that's better than the young guy will probably ever be. I guess you can call it Jean DeLance or Adrian Colbert PTSD...  But we DEFINITELY didn't have the calibre of coaches we've got now during th 13 years that must not be discussede

• Hook 'Em 2

Either you lose them because they haven’t shown enough yet, or you lose them because they’ve shown too much and you can’t keep them all happy with pt/nil.

We’ll be a net winner in the natural inflow/outflow of roster motion. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Not thrilled about Cojoe, Red, Kirkland, & maybe Jordan leaving . There's definitely some upside (which really just means they havent done anything yet) on that list but I guess this is how CFB is now. If you've got chance to win something and those guys weren't gonna play much at least a year PLUS you had a chance to "trade" thejm for Tiaoalii Savea, Amari Niblack, Kendrick Blackshire, Silas Bolden, Isaiah Bond, Trey Moore, Andrew Mukuba,  and Matthew Golden, I'll take that move every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's REALLY easy dec/sion, actually. Those guyd have already mostlt fulfilled their potential. They're better players in every way than the few we]re losing (although I do thin Red wouod SHINE of given a chance. I jjust think Bolden is a better fit for that position). 

i guess I just have an irrational fear of losing any young player even if we have a replacement lined up that's better than the young guy will probably ever be. I guess you can call it Jean DeLance or Adrian Colbert PTSD...  But we DEFINITELY didn't have the calibre of coaches we've got now during th 13 years that must not be discussede

Obviously you'd rather not lose guys that have their head on straight and have been working hard and might have a chance to contribute down the road. But what it boils down to is this: we have a finite number of roster spots. Do you trust that, as a program, we'll be able to replace the guys we lose with players of equivalent or better promise via HS recruiting or the portal? Right now the answer for me is an easy yes.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Not thrilled about Cojoe, Red, Kirkland, & maybe Jordan leaving

I know this is all conjecture but I don’t want to lose lineman, particularly those that are more obviously projects.  I can’t imagine a Cojoe or Kirkland saw the recruiting class ahead of them and thought “maybe I can play as a freshman or sophomore ” so any departure on their part is (hopefully) program driven.

31 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I know this is all conjecture but I don’t want to lose lineman, particularly those that are more obviously projects.  I can’t imagine a Cojoe or Kirkland saw the recruiting class ahead of them and thought “maybe I can play as a freshman or sophomore ” so any departure on their part is (hopefully) program driven.

We are always going to lose the bottom 10-20% of any given class. And some of those guys may end up being stars at other schools as they fully develop. We should only worry when we are losing guys in the 2-deep, though. Beyond that, I think, in most cases would be a waste of resources. Guys like Banks will be in the 2-deep from day 1.

Edited by Bevo

14 hours ago, ousux said:
15 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Since he hasn't played a single down and I haven't observed practice, really can't say. It's probably more about the strong Poly ties with me than Akana himself, I don't like USC, BYU, Utah and Oregon pretty much cornering the market on the best Islander/Islander heritage players.

What the hell are you talking about? His new position coach / Co-DC is Samoan born who brought over a pacific islander transfer from Arizona and seems to be taking the lead on poly recruits across the board.

While I can understand the consternation over the potential loss of some of these guys, we've never lost a projected starter to the portal.

Meanwhile, of the 20 transfers in since '22, there are only a handful* that wouldn't have been starters at their previous schools the next season including Alabama, Georgia, fOSU, Clemson, etc. 

*Ewers, Agiye Hall, Blackshire, and maybe Billingsley. I don't remember if he'd already been eclipsed by the other TE from Alabama that we added this year. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

19 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

Tapp is a guy that has offers on the table and playing time promises from other teams. 

Swanson just isn’t big enough to do what Texas wants to do yet. 

Walton knows they like him and will get a lot more run next year if he shows patience. I think we lose either Walton or Akina eventually but it’s still early. Akina was the higher ranked recruit so he may have more opportunities in the portal but coaches think Walton will be a player. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where the Akana tidbit came from and that one would surprise me. 

I’m taking the Akana tidbit from @FreeHorn’s post above. Maybe I’m misreading it and he did, in fact, mean to refer to Duane Akina. 

We don't ever see Jaray Bledsoe in these discussions. He's not in the two-deep right now, and that's before we bring in 1-2 more DTs. 

Also, on a related note, WTF is up with Bledsoe? He's supposedly a true freak, and now weighs about 300 lbs. What's the issue?

Edited by Red Five
fat fingers

18 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I’m taking the Akana tidbit from @FreeHorn’s post above. Maybe I’m misreading it and he did, in fact, mean to refer to Duane Akina. 

Got it. I don't think those guys are likely in this cycle, but maybe FreeHorn knows something different.

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We don't ever see Jaray Bledsoe in these discussions. He's not in the two-deep right now, and that's before we bring in 1-2 more DTs. 

Also, on a related note, WTF is up with Bledsoe? He's supposedly a true freak, and now weighs about 300 lbs. What's the issue?

He's mentioned in a lot of the practice notes. I will be surprised if he's not part of the rotation.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Buckle Up, Buttercup
What the hell are you talking about? His new position coach / Co-DC is Samoan born who brought over a pacific islander transfer from Arizona and seems to be taking the lead on poly recruits across the board.
That's great, what the fucking holy hell are you talking about? Someone (not me if you still have functioning braincells) puts Akana on the possible transfer list, I imply I'd rather he stay and progress and then you say he has a Poly coach and therefore we're suddenly going to clean up recruiting that demographic? I hope you're right, but Nansen has only been here a hot minute and those other schools have established pipelines

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Got it. I don't think those guys are likely in this cycle, but maybe FreeHorn knows something different.

He's mentioned in a lot of the practice notes. I will be surprised if he's not part of the rotation.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Sorry, I meant in the "potential portal dudes" discussions. 

I think the bolded pretty much answers your question...no?

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I think the bolded pretty much answers your question...no?

Well like I said, he's not in the two-deep currently at a position where we're probably going to add two more guys. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well like I said, he's not in the two-deep currently at a position where we're probably going to add two more guys. 

Ourlads has him in the 2 deep, fwiw. They don't want that guy leaving and they do a really good job of helping him with academic support and such that his mother allegedly really values, so there's that as well.

6 minutes ago, ousux said:

That's great, what the fucking holy hell are you talking about? Someone (not me if you still have functioning braincells) puts Akana on the possible transfer list, I imply I'd rather he stay and progress and then you say he has a Poly coach and therefore we're suddenly going to clean up recruiting that demographic? I hope you're right, but Nansen has only been here a hot minute and those other schools have established pipelines

They called him "the Poly Whisperer" as far back as when he was at USC. It's a stupid nickname and not nearly as cool as Johnny Patron but he has historically killed it in that demo. Yes, I absolutely 100% expect Texas to see a major uptick in Polynesian recruiting.

Look at these names:

https://247sports.com/coach/johnny-nansen-735/alltimerecruits/

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think the point is that he may well be in the 2 deep

Agreed - but to steer this conversation in a productive direction, who do y'all think will be in the 2-deep by the end of Spring? Leaving potential incoming transfers out of it for now.

Alfred Collins is a lock to start. 

Then there's Savea, Broughton, Aaron Bryant, Bledsoe, Mitchell, Swanson, and January. I think Swanson and Mitchell are prime portal candidates, and January is a true freshman, so I doubt any of them are realistically making the cut.

Out of the remaining guys, I think Savea is the other starter. They've been talking him up all Spring and said he's the best at anchoring against the run. Broughton is the veteran and the staff seems to like him fine. Personally I'm down on Broughton - he gets pushed around too much. But he seems likely to make the 2-deep. 

That leaves Bledsoe and Bryant, and I think Bledsoe probably gets the nod. But in all honesty, I'd rather see Broughton split snaps with Bryant and see if he can develop. I think we've seen Broughton's ceiling and it's pretty low. 

To recap:

• 1st team - Collins and Savea
  • 2nd team - Bledsoe and Broughton (Bryant)
  • 3rd team - January and Bryant (Broughton)
Edited by Park Gothic

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They called him "the Poly Whisperer" as far back as when he was at USC. It's a stupid nickname and not nearly as cool as Johnny Patron but he has historically killed it in that demo. Yes, I absolutely 100% expect Texas to see a major uptick in Polynesian recruiting.

Look at these names:

3rd on that list:  Roland Jones II

30 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Agreed - but to steer this conversation in a productive direction, who do y'all think will be in the 2-deep by the end of Spring? Leaving potential incoming transfers out of it for now.

Alfred Collins is a lock to start. 

Then there's Savea, Broughton, Aaron Bryant, Bledsoe, Mitchell, Swanson, and January. I think Swanson and Mitchell are prime portal candidates, and January is a true freshman, so I doubt any of them are realistically making the cut.

Out of the remaining guys, I think Savea is the other starter. They've been talking him up all Spring and said he's the best at anchoring against the run. Broughton is the veteran and the staff seems to like him fine. Personally I'm down on Broughton - he gets pushed around too much. But he seems likely to make the 2-deep. 

That leaves Bledsoe and Bryant, and I think Bledsoe probably gets the nod. But in all honesty, I'd rather see Broughton split snaps with Bryant and see if he can develop. I think we've seen Broughton's ceiling and it's pretty low. 

To recap:

• 1st team - Collins and Savea
  • 2nd team - Bledsoe and Broughton (Bryant)
  • 3rd team - January and Bryant (Broughton)

Bledsoe will be paired with a NT and expect VB and Collins will be paired together mostly.

Edited by bwub60

Look at these names:
That's great to hear, but he hasn't been here long enough to prove that yet, and a Poly already on the team transferring out (just speculation, nobody knows for sure) isn't a good start to the Poly-pipeline.

I never understood why we don't do better at Euless Trinity, (Patrick Vahe is the only one, not the greatest player ever) but tbh their football program has faded in recent years.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

His sister has at least one more year on the volleyball team.

And I celebrate that fact. 

52 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

No Surly posters are entering the portal. 

As always, that's a shame.

Additionally, what a fucking thead title change. I saw at and expected a post with a ton of expected starters about to leave. 

42 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Look at these names:

That's a lot of fucking vowels. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And I celebrate that fact. 

As always, that's a shame.

Additionally, what a fucking thead title change. I saw at and expected a post with a ton of expected starters about to leave. 

Thanks for pulling up in your I-Roc, jumping out before it's come to a stop in your mesh tank top, cut-off jorts, and checkered vans and conjuring that terrible shit on this thread.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thanks for pulling up in your I-Roc, jumping out before it's come to a stop in your mesh tank top, cut-off jorts, and checkered van and conjuring that terrible shit on this thread.

You conjured it with your fucking change of the thread title, you “I Soaked Up Philly Like A Sponge” motherfucker. Or are you some kind of downgrade who tells people to buckle up when they’re in store for literally nothing?

Buckle up motherfuckers, we’re about to have calm seas, no wind, and blowjobs for everyone!

• Haha 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.