Silo (Apple TV+) - Premiers May 5th

Captain Ron

28 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Hide contents

You'd think there'd be more visible dead bodies though, no? 

Spoiler

I had an issue with this since they left the bodies of Holsten and wife throughout the story arc. So where are all the other bodies of people who have cleaned? Even just piles of bones would still be there. And wouldn't there be bodies around the other Silo openings we see?

And how long after a season ends do we still have to speak in spoilers?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:
  Hide contents

I had an issue with this since they left the bodies of Holsten and wife throughout the story arc. So where are all the other bodies of people who have cleaned? Even just piles of bones would still be there. And wouldn't there be bodies around the other Silo openings we see?

And how long after a season ends do we still have to speak in spoilers?

I'm the biggest stickler for spoilers here, but anyone who hasn't yet watched this shouldn't be in this thread, if they want to avoid spoilers. IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Off the top of my head, below are some questions I have heading into the next season (No way I'm reading the books). I'm sure the show will provide some answers in the future.  

1) why did the govt need to erase all history?  Obviously, it's nefarious as shit, and they want to hide the origin story of how everything went down, but what exactly happened that needs to be covered up?

2) why so many silos? Capacity?

3) What's the blinking key fob that Nuke Laloosh has?  Keys to the "real" server room? Is 18 the number of their silo?

4) where does the giant door go?  To another silo?

5) what exactly is the syndrome? What happens beyond the hand cramps and tremors?

6) So did the founders plan for "head of IT" to be the real leader all along?  How is that succession plan handled? Through the half-ass shadow thing?

7) Why do the silo denizens/govt need cleaning of the camera?  I think it's so they can see the outside world and how dangerous it is.  The govt needs this to prevent potential rebellion.  No outside view might convince some cowboys to call bullshit and open the hatch.  

8- why are pulleys and elevators outlawed? Likewise, they couldn't have a machine or simple windshield wiper do the cleaning?

9) I'll stop for now, but in the lesbian sex scene, what did the tattoo on Rebecca Ferguson's labia mean?  

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Off the top of my head, below are some questions I have heading into the next season (No way I'm reading the books). I'm sure the show will provide some answers in the future.  

1) why did the govt need to erase all history?  Obviously, it's nefarious as shit, and they want to hide the origin story of how everything went down, but what exactly happened that needs to be covered up?

3) What's the blinking key fob that Nuke Laloosh has?  Keys to the "real" server room? Is 18 the number of their silo?

5) what exactly is the syndrome? What happens beyond the hand cramps and tremors?

6) So did the founders plan for "head of IT" to be the real leader all along?  How is that succession plan handled? Through the half-ass shadow thing?

7) Why do the silo denizens/govt need cleaning of the camera?  I think it's so they can see the outside world and how dangerous it is.  The govt needs this to prevent potential rebellion.  No outside view might convince some cowboys to call bullshit and open the hatch.  

8- why are pulleys and elevators outlawed? Likewise, they couldn't have a machine or simple windshield wiper do the cleaning?

9) I'll stop for now, but in the lesbian sex scene, what did the tattoo on Rebecca Ferguson's labia mean?  

not sure if we're still doing spoiler tags or not...

Spoiler

I think there's gonna be something going on outside the silos. That would explain a lot of these questions. Somehow the people in the silos are under control of someone else, like each silo is its own experiment or something. "Erase" history so nobody asks too many questions.

I'm guessing Nuke Laloosh's key fob is some sort of communication with his masters. Like he ran off after Rebecca Ferguson went outside to let them know that shit was going down at his silo. I'm guessing the IT director is "appointed" somehow by the overseers. That would explain why Nuke reversed himself regarding Common taking over - someone told him to. I think Nuke knows a lot but not nearly everything.

I'm thinking the door connect to other silos or to the "control center" for whoever is actually in control. Or maybe both.

Maybe our silo's cultural practice of cleaning the camera, etc, is just one small piece of the experiment, and each silo has a totally different practice/culture. That would explain why we didn't see bodies laying outside the other silos.

I think the no elevators thing is to enforce social stratification.

As for your last question, I'm rewinding now to check.

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

1) My guess is that this occurred after the silos separated. My assumption is that there was previously a colony of silos and our silo rebelled.

2) why so many silos? Capacity?  Yes.

3) Control room to outside silo resources that was a part of the previous silo colony.

4) Other silos and complexes.

5) La SIDA

6) No. The founders are a myth. 

7) Yes.

8- You can't have the poors from mechanical roaming Rodeo with a shotgun. Increased technology generates knowledge and questions. Everyone is kept educated enough to function but not be scientifically inquisitive.

9) Welcome to the world of AIDS.

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

1. Is it the government? Is it a natural development by the people inside the silo? Metaphorically, like humanity, no one knows why they are here. 
2. The question is not why so many Silos, but why are they separated? Could be for experimental reasons. Could be a protection about catastrophe.

3. Probably 

4. Yes

5. The syndrome could be what they’re trying to cure with these large experiments. Or it could be a natural reaction to a lack of natural light. 
6. I don’t think this was planned by outsiders 

7. Yes

8. Deter innovation 

9. It’s Swedish for “chuck it in me dumpa”

I sort of liked the ending but it created more questions than answers. Will be interested in season 2, but I get a little bit of a LOST vibe where it’s easier to create the mysteries than it will be to eventually deliver a satisfying conclusion.

It seems the people in charge of the silo (the mayor, etc) are poisoning the people who go outside to clean, and Juliette escaped this by having better heat tape. If the outside world is still unlivable, why would it be necessary to poison people? Do they want them to die within view of the camera to help convince the silo residents that it isn’t safe outside?

Was the previous mayor also involved in this? She didn’t seem like the type to actively poison people.

Like others have asked, where are the bodies of everyone else who has gone outside in the previous 130 years?

Even though the outside world looks bleak, is it actually uninhabitable? Her suit won’t do anything to protect against radiation, so that’s probably not it unless we are going to watch her die early in the next season, which seems unlikely. It would also seem she is stuck outside for at least a little while because they aren’t going to suddenly open the door to let her back in. She’ll need food and water so I presume we’ll get some answers on this pretty quickly. I suspect there will be other escapees from her silo or other silos who will take her in.

I don't think they're poisoning people, I think it's actually toxic outside. Holston took his helmet off outside and still died.

I don't think the old mayor was in on any of it. Mayors are elected, I think they're just a figurehead. The IT guy is the real guy running the show and his successor is chosen by...himself apparently through the shadow system.

Agree that shit's gonna have to resolve quickly next season because she probably doesn't have that much air and zero food/water. I bet she either runs over to the next silo, knocks on the door, and sweet talks her way in, or some sort of vehicles pull up and grab her, confirming my suspicion that there's something going on outside the silos.

16 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I spent about half an hour pausing, zooming, and screenshotting, and near as I can tell, it says:

Spoiler
Spoiler

I like spoilers.

Spoiler

Especially nested spoilers.

PM Derka

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well, I thought so, but then future Mrs. Red Five got the special tape on her suit and was fine. Seems to be coming from outside.

Yeah it prevented the poison from getting in her suit. when they spray that white smoke over the people before they go outside

The bit that looks like a decontamination process. Why are they “decontaminating” people before they go outside?  They aren’t. It’s poison

Edited by The Dude

There was a city skyline in the background of the last shot.  We don’t know yet that it is a ruin. The silo complex could be some elaborate system that was stocked by volunteers or prepper nuts sure the end of the world was coming. 

maybe it didn’t and this is self imposed isolation. 

as far as poisoning, what would be the point of the gas treatment in the air lock of the cleaners before they go out to die?  

also, nobody seems to talk about outside environmental monitoring. How would they know when it would be ok to leave if they don’t monitor- other than by seeing the cleaners keep dying.  That’s the only system?  If this was actually a protection against the outside environment, there would be measurements- and they’d be public info. Maybe manipulated or falsified, but it’d be there. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I sort of liked the ending but it created more questions than answers. Will be interested in season 2, but I get a little bit of a LOST vibe where it’s easier to create the mysteries than it will be to eventually deliver a satisfying conclusion.

I had the same feeling, but I felt gruntled by the fact that it's based on books, not by the fat man, and they are done.  So it's not just the writers making shit up as they go along. 

Possibly very, very minor book talk/spoilerage:

Spoiler

I am team illiterati forever, but I noticed online the first story/book is called "wool" and in the finale they had a shot of the "cleaning wool."  I just found that interesting.   

Edited by bschoolprof

Yeah it prevented the poison from getting in her suit. when they spray that white smoke over the people before they go outside

The bit that looks like a decontamination process. Why are they “decontaminating” people before they go outside?  They aren’t. It’s poison

I’ve been assuming the white gas is poison, because like you said, why would they need to decontaminate someone who is about to go outside? What other purpose would the gas serve? And if that’s true, then Juliet’s superior heat tape protected her from the poison gas.

I guess it’s possible the outside air quality was killing previous cleaners, and if that’s the case, her heat tape could also be the difference maker in her survival.

The mayor seemed confident she would die before reaching the ridge, as if he knew she had been poisoned, but perhaps his comments were simply from his past experience of watching every other person die.

I guess we’ll eventually find out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Randoms:

I assume the decontamination room was used for the first Silo occupants, suggesting something airborne outside pushed them in(at least at that point in time). 

Their current use of it for the cleaners could be nothing more than the pact said to. 

The lack of bodies outside makes the least sense. What is the explanation given the silo occupants?  How long ago was the last cleaning?  

Bodies:

Covered in dirt? Decomposed?
Physically removed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Hope you can keep up the steam better than me, as the second book is a prequel and at about 1/4 of the way thru doesn't provide any context that you're thirsty for at the finish of book 1.

That said, book 1 extends further than s1.  And, I'll likely be picking Shift back up after the s1 conclusion. 

Book 2 is getting good. I’m starting to see why people say the show will be amazing if it gets made all the way through. 

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

any updates on season 2?

4FkTTYtxrB_XAyy23lxTfSrvABXnI2YhMiJIFroL

Filming for S2 started in April but went on indefinite hiatus in May with the strike and hasn't started back up yet.

Will probably be quite a while longer. S1 started principal photography in August 2021 with a May 2023 debut. I doubt they got much done before the hiatus so if we're looking at them starting back up early 2024 might be late 2025 at the earliest before we see it again.