Silo (Apple TV+) - Premiers May 5th

Captain Ron

21 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

These are all great questions and why I’ve not heavily invested in the story. 140 years and practically no advancement in technology? Even minor things like pulleys? Some things as old as human civilization. Is the preservation of the silo a religious thing, or commentary of power that it’s not a big kingdom but the kingdom we know? I’ve not read the books.

Yeah, for me... the big mysery that I want to learn more about is why the pact is so strict about stuff like that. There was an episode early on, where they menitoned why no elevators in the Silo. 

Among many others.  Can you imagine the wait for an elevator in a place with 10,000 people?  But the machine shop lady also mentioned no pulleys which they have down in machinery.  But I took it to mean they could Not set them up between floors to move just objects, not people, so they didn't have to wait so long for porters and could be more efficient.  

But I think the stairs are obviously functional, durable, they literally force you to keep your head down (metaphor for most of their jobs), keeps the population in good shape, etc.  Though I would think their bones are practically dust even as a teenager.  

The magnification thing is even stranger.  There must be tiny hidden codes/clues throughout the silo they don't want anyone to see.  The old camera behind the mirror trick is one thing, but there may be tinier devices or clues all around.  You'd think medical would need some kinda basic microscopes?

Of course the biggest question besides what is out there?  What is the mutually agreed upon lie the 3 top people mutually share?  It better be something more original than the "the safety of everyone in the solo has been the responsibility of a few for centuries and must be preserved."   

1 hour ago, YChang said:

Yeah, for me... the big mysery that I want to learn more about is why the pact is so strict about stuff like that. There was an episode early on, where they menitoned why no elevators in the Silo. 

Neo-Luddism. A rejection of any sort of the type of advanced technology/engineering that led to the need for the Silo(s?) in the first place. Would be the reason "artifacts" are banned as they can lead to advanced knowledge and imminent destruction of all. But yeah, the huge gaping holes in logic and common sense when it comes to how things are run are why I get such strong YA vibes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Certain relics are worthless, some obviously carry dangerous information or could inspire curious behavior.  I get that plot point, fine with it.  I'll assume most came in the before-time, smuggled in by the original inhabitants and continue to float around off-market or hidden.  And a smaller portion came in with the construction crew in the deeper levels where they left the drilling machine. 

But they clearly embrace technology for the most part (computers, indoor farming, etc.), even having invented a little of their own along the way. 

This really does feel like a darker, adult version of another underground Tim Robbins survival movie "City of Ember" which came out before the books were published.       

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

I'm caught up besides the finale, obviously.  there was at least 2, maybe 3 scenes, where the Mayor holds that "18" keychain that is lighting up to suggest something is awry.  I would assume by 18. there are at least 17 other silos...probably more.  Another question though is they had to dig more, why ditch the boring machine underground when you can use it to dig more silos?  Unless they have other boring machines or they had to cease operations due to whatever bad thing was happeningi topside?  But I think some other silo is telling the Mayor, "Get your shit together or else."  I get the impression now after the last couple I watched they are trying to keep order not just because they don't want a mutiny that would probably kill them first (Mayor, judge, police, Man who sees everything, et. al.), but because if they don't, something far worse could happen to the silo.  

I'm still expecting the cliche speech to be delivered by a flat Tim Robbins along the lines of, "This is the way it was passed down to us, and to the people before us, and the people before them.  This is the only way we've survived this long, don't you see?!?"  But if it is okay beyond the ridge as many have speculated, is it all some kinda test to see who is worthy to go repopulate the Earth or? 

On 6/26/2023 at 3:39 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

No elevators and no magnification above 10x were the rules cited?

I don't think it was on here, maybe one of the critic sites.  They think there's no elevators to reinforce the caste system.  The grunts down below can't easily get up with the tech folks, politicians, elites I guess?  Although there's no real reason to flash money, there's really nothing to buy, nowhere to travel, nothing to flaunt.  Other than the Judge and Sheriff having slightly larger apartments, most everybody else's looks about the same.  There's just a few floors of shopping in the middle with all the same shit from hut to hut.  They all eat at pretty much the same kinds of cafeterias with food sources from the same place.  Their jobs are really their only differentiators, I guess.  there's no sports, no music, no real entertainment (other than booze and watching people race to the top of the stairs) so not much to blow money on even if you had it. 

Plus all the technology in that place, they could have easily installed an elevator that required a fingerprint or eye scan to access for the importants.  Or at least use it for cargo so they don't have to wait so long to dangerously move big shit up and down the stairs for no reason. 

/rant

What time do new episodes drop?  Says tomorrow, but is that like a 12:01am-EDT on Friday, primetime, or?    

Spoiler

Why did Tim Robbins cut the power or whatever? What does he care what she sees?

Anyway, the door at the bottom definitely connects to the other silos. I wonder if some of the others are already connected or if ours is the first one to figure it out.

Spoiler

50 silos spaced not that far apart.    Maybe couple hundred yards?  Multiple horizontal mining tunnels emanating from each silo, actively mining iron ore for centuries.  Not two opposite silo crews have ever bumped into each other?  

Show was a surprising summer gem.  Cast was mostly good.  Not a lot of filler scenes either, most everything moved finale along briskly.  Just a big a question of what happened to Juliette is what the hell do the other residents make of it and how?  

Even though I've read all the books, I don't remember much and was confused a bit by the ending. I found this video and it's pretty great.  Obviously there's spoilers here but only for what's been aired- the guy doing the video says he hasn't read the books.

more random questions/thoughts this morning

Spoiler
  • shouldn't there be a bunch more bodies outside, other than just the sheriff and Ann Perkins? we know the silo has been there 140+ years, they implied someone goes out to clean every few years, so there should be like 50+ skeletons in suits laying around out there
  • I still don't feel like they ever really explained why everyone actually cleans the damn camera. "Oh, it's so beautiful, I need to clean so they can see!". That makes no sense. They all know what a clean camera looks like. Drop that fucking wool and make a run for it, you idiots.
  • Did we ever establish if Tim Robbins knows what it's really like outside? He said "she knows", implying that he knows reality is shitty but the cleaners see paradise. But on the other hand he freaked out when the camera crew saw the paradise vision and told them to unsee it. Wouldn't it have been more effective to tell them a version of the truth - "oh we just show the cleaners that projection so they'll want to clean". I mean, those watchers already know a bunch of secrets, but telling them to unsee something they saw would imply to them it's real. I dunno if that makes any sense, my brain hurts.
  • Did anyone else think Tim Robbins acted surprised when Juliette mentioned the door? Seems to me like he knows a lot but not necessarily the whole story.

I want Juliette to go over to the next silo, go down to the bottom and through their door, through the tunnel and back into our silo. Imagine the lulz.

Spoiler

Sure feels like what kills them is the “gas” before they go out. Robbins’ character thought she wouldn’t make it to the tree, implying there’s a time when the gas that seeps through the suits kicks in. The better tape didn’t allow in to get in

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

Hide contents
  • shouldn't there be a bunch more bodies outside, other than just the sheriff and Ann Perkins? we know the silo has been there 140+ years, they implied someone goes out to clean every few years, so there should be like 50+ skeletons in suits laying around out there
  • I still don't feel like they ever really explained why everyone actually cleans the damn camera. "Oh, it's so beautiful, I need to clean so they can see!". That makes no sense. They all know what a clean camera looks like. Drop that fucking wool and make a run for it, you idiots.
  • Did we ever establish if Tim Robbins knows what it's really like outside? He said "she knows", implying that he knows reality is shitty but the cleaners see paradise. But on the other hand he freaked out when the camera crew saw the paradise vision and told them to unsee it. Wouldn't it have been more effective to tell them a version of the truth - "oh we just show the cleaners that projection so they'll want to clean". I mean, those watchers already know a bunch of secrets, but telling them to unsee something they saw would imply to them it's real. I dunno if that makes any sense, my brain hurts.
  • Did anyone else think Tim Robbins acted surprised when Juliette mentioned the door? Seems to me like he knows a lot but not necessarily the whole story.

I want Juliette to go over to the next silo, go down to the bottom and through their door, through the tunnel and back into our silo. Imagine the lulz.

Spoiler

Everyone cleans the camera because they are shocked at seeing the blue sky. They figure that the current state of the camera is not showing the blue sky that perhaps is brand new.  hence why you clean the camera so that everyone can see the sky. Then the poison gets them.

Not sure why there are not more dead bodies.

I thought Robbins was surprised by the news there is a door at the bottom level Out of curiosity, do we know whether the water at the bottom level was real or not? Or is it a simulation?

7 hours ago, seven said:

I was hoping this is how the season ends, job well done. 

Agreed. I’ve read the books and stayed away to not spoil anything. But yeah, this was exactly what I was thinking would be the perfect cliffhanger for the season.

Just perfect. 

12 hours ago, Js1 said:
  Hide contents

Sure feels like what kills them is the “gas” before they go out. Robbins’ character thought she wouldn’t make it to the tree, implying there’s a time when the gas that seeps through the suits kicks in. The better tape didn’t allow in to get in

Spoiler

Gas … or it is deadly outside and the real tape keeps the suit sealed from the heat/radiation/poison etc outside? 

Also guessing the #18 key unlocks a communication device of some sort to either the other silos or an HQ?

Still can’t tell if the two bodies were in the path or not?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:
  Hide contents

Gas … or it is deadly outside and the real tape keeps the suit sealed from the heat/radiation/poison etc outside? 

Also guessing the #18 key unlocks a communication device of some sort to either the other silos or an HQ?

Still can’t tell if the two bodies were in the path or not?

Spoiler

The bodies were there. She tripped on them and went down which is how she realized she wasn't seeing reality. When it cut back to those watching from inside you could see her feeling around with her hands trying to find the bodies. She then placed the badge on the Sheriff's body.

And +1 that the cleaners are poisoned before they even step outside but the good tape kept the seal this time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:
  Hide contents

The bodies were there. She tripped on them and went down which is how she realized she wasn't seeing reality. When it cut back to those watching from inside you could see her feeling around with her hands trying to find the bodies. She then placed the badge on the Sheriff's body.

And +1 that the cleaners are poisoned before they even step outside but the good tape kept the seal this time.

Spoiler

The bodies sort of blended in to the ground and rocks but you do see them 

I don’t think she tripped on the bodies though. Holston tripped on the same spot. They just can’t see it with the fake image 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Agreed. I’ve read the books and stayed away to not spoil anything. But yeah, this was exactly what I was thinking would be the perfect cliffhanger for the season.

Just perfect. 

Yeah it was good. I’m frustrated we don’t know more at this point but I suppose that’s the purpose of a cliffhanger. Dumb questions and observations spoilers:

Spoiler

First, what is the real scene outside?  The Jane Carmody serene scene seems to be a manipulation with the hologram over a dead sherrif’s body when she put the badge on Holston. But I don’t know that. And when Robbins switched the scene to the familiar desolate wasteland, is that reality?

Second, if I’m correct, I suppose Juliette survived with the change in better tape from Supply sealing her suit. 

Third, I wonder about the de-contamination steam hitting cleaners BEFORE they go out.  Is that some sort of poison?

Fourth, there appeared to be hundreds of other Silos.  With the tunnels, clearly they are linked or at least were.  Robbins seemed surprised about Juliette’s George door revelation.  

Lastly, Common doesn’t know what is going on overall, but knows a lot.  When Robbins re-engaged him to be his shadow, it seemed to me the only reason he did so was because he saw the Carmody screen when Juliette uploaded it to the whole Silo.  Robbins’ flipping out about that makes me question exactly what is the real scene outside.  But it’s apparent to me Robbins is trying to keep Sims close because he knows too much and is too powerful to not figure a way to just leave, cleaning or otherwise, and take a sizable contingent with him  

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

ok not reading anything because I don't want to know but broadly, yes I should spend the time to watch this show?

It’s an intriguing sci fi/mystery premise with a lot of open questions at the end of S1. The production value is good and Rebecca Ferguson is easy on the eyes. In my opinion, the middle episodes kinda dragged but the season started and ended well. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, thepop said:

Yeah I’m not waiting. Started the first book.

Hope you can keep up the steam better than me, as the second book is a prequel and at about 1/4 of the way thru doesn't provide any context that you're thirsty for at the finish of book 1.

That said, book 1 extends further than s1.  And, I'll likely be picking Shift back up after the s1 conclusion. 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:13 AM, tokamak said:

Hide contents
  •  

Spoiler

I also thought he acted surprised when Juliette mentioned the door.

I'm wondering if

a) He knew about the door and had an "oh shit" moment when he realized that multiple other people knew about the door. Robbins may be realizing he has to contain this outbreak of knowledge

or 

b) He didn't know about the door and had an "oh shit" moment when he realized there are more secrets that even he doesn't know about

1 hour ago, zman13 said:
  Hide contents

I also thought he acted surprised when Juliette mentioned the door.

I'm wondering if

a) He knew about the door and had an "oh shit" moment when he realized that multiple other people knew about the door. Robbins may be realizing he has to contain this outbreak of knowledge

or 

b) He didn't know about the door and had an "oh shit" moment when he realized there are more secrets that even he doesn't know about

Spoiler

I read yesterday’s AMA with the author. Someone asked the same question, and he said that the answer was “b”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Please don’t talk about the books in here.

I wasn't (and I haven't read any of the books). 

From the AMA:

Season 1 of Apple TV+'s Silo has ended, and while some questions were answered, we know you have many more! Today, we're happy to welcome the author of the Silo Series, u/HughHowey to an AMA with the Silozens of r/SiloSeries.

A majority of the sub has not read the books, so the mod team will be working under the assumption that those viewers do not want spoilers for future seasons. With that in mind, some guidance for participants on how moderation of this AMA will work:

Questions with spoiler content from Wool Chapter 30 and on, plus Shift and Dust, will be removed.

Questions with minor book spoilers from content already covered in Silo S1 (for example, questions about the book-to-show adaptation) are fine, but if it wasn't in the show and you feel it may ruin things for people planning to read later, consider using spoiler tags to mask your question.

The sub's rules still apply to this event. Disrespectful, aggressive, or inflammatory comments toward other Silozens will be removed.

Edited by DDD Dad

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ok, so my biggest question is why lie to the cleaners?  Why the holograms?  If the world is still dead, what impetus is there to have them believe it’s all good for only a few seconds before they die? 

Spoiler

I think the idea is it gives many people an extra incentive to clean - to reveal the "truth," or to them what is the truth.  

Yeah, not really a spoiler-so here goes:

When Robbins is talking to her in the jail, he says something to the effect of, "The founders figured out a way to make sure they would always choose to clean."  It's a throwaway line that has more heft in hindsight.

Spoiler

However, it still begs the question...why go through with the whole charade of cleaning/exile/certain death?  Obviously they knew people would go stir crazy inside and just want to end it all and they can certainly afford to lose a few each year and still sustain their population levels with new births.  Why not just offer assisted suicide like "Soylent Green" and use their bodies as fertilizer?  Why not just let them wander out there with no hologram and just die in the sunlight's embrace?  All that engineering, they could have easily put a cleaning mechanism above the sensor to keep it clean over the decades.  If somebody wants to leave, give them a way out, so as not to cause anarchy inside.  But the elaborate hologram and suit and cleaning and dying on the ridge for all to witness, I don't get it.  I guess it's the temporary surge in joy for the residents to see the cleaning of the sensor, and then the stack of dead bodies serves as an ongoing reminder of the importance of keeping the silo up and running?  You'd think there'd be more visible dead bodies though, no? 

Anyway, another thing I think Robbins is hiding is while the silo holds lots and lots of technology and resources...most of it ain't exactly transportable.  I think each silo holds terrabytes of human knowledge to rebuild society.  From literature to engineering to chemistry to aeronautics.  I think each silo contains the compendium of human knowledge.  There's no reason to start from scratch with what you can carry in a backpack outta the silo.  Trouble is what if you find it long before it's safe to go out?