NCAA Basketball 2023-24

shadow_operative

Damn. 

Reggie Chaney, a forward on the Houston men's basketball team that reached the Final Four in 2021, has died, the university said Tuesday.

He was 23.

Houston coach Kelvin Sampson called Chaney the "ultimate teammate" and the epitome of "Cougar basketball culture." Sampson added that Chaney was due to leave Aug. 28, to begin a professional career in Greece.

In another statement on social media, university chancellor Renu Khator said "the news (of Chaney's death) has left us with sad and heavy hearts."

Chaney was found dead Monday after a family friend discovered him unresponsive in a bedroom at an apartment in Arlington, Texas, police spokesperson Tim Ciesco told the Houston Chronicle. Chaney was pronounced dead at the scene. Foul play is not suspected, although an investigation is ongoing, Ciesco told the Chronicle.

Chaney, a native of Tulsa, Oklahoma, played his first two seasons at Arkansas before finishing his college career with three years at Houston. A 6-foot-8 forward, he appeared in 32 games during the 2020-21 season and started in Houston's Final Four loss to eventual champion Baylor, collecting six points and two rebounds in 17 minutes.

Last season, he was named the American Athletic Conference's Sixth Man of the Year for a Houston team that earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament before falling in the Sweet 16. 

Bolded usually means one of two things these days. 

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This season will certainly have its ups and downs. I could see our ceiling being a 3 seed, and our floor being a bubble team. We’ll learn a lot about RT in his first full season as head coach 

I personally think this year's team is just as talented as last year's.  It is the 2nd or 3rd most experienced team in Texas' history.  Our key players (Disu and Abmas) have All-American potential.  The team is very well constructed with efficient scorers, defenders, 3 point shooters, etc.  It will also be the best free throw shooting team in school history.

So, I would say our ceiling is a 1 seed / Final Four.  Our floor is maybe a 6-7 seed.  I will be disappointed if they don't make the Sweet 16.

• Hook 'Em 1

Will never not be weird seeing a 27-year old being denied eligibility making news. 

Williams, who turned 27 in early October, initially signed with Evansville in the class of 2018. He was ruled ineligible for his first season in 2018-19, then played in 18 games in 2019-20 before transferring to Memphis. Williams started 80 games over the past three seasons for the Tigers, averaging 14.1 points and 6.8 rebounds during his time in the AAC.

He earned first-team All-AAC honors last season after putting up 17.7 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.9 assists. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38810417/ncaa-denies-memphis-deandre-williams-extra-year-eligibility

On 10/16/2023 at 2:07 PM, HookEm said:

I personally think this year's team is just as talented as last year's.  It is the 2nd or 3rd most experienced team in Texas' history.  Our key players (Disu and Abmas) have All-American potential.  The team is very well constructed with efficient scorers, defenders, 3 point shooters, etc.  It will also be the best free throw shooting team in school history.

So, I would say our ceiling is a 1 seed / Final Four.  Our floor is maybe a 6-7 seed.  I will be disappointed if they don't make the Sweet 16.

I'm in. 

I'm a huge RT fan but if we're a bubble team this year I'll jump off that bandwagon real quick. 

IMO Tyrese Hunter is being overlooked/underrated and could have a HUGE year this year if he's truly got the cramping issue figured out.

4 minutes ago, MrX said:

Holy shit Zach Edey still plays for Purdue?!?!

He’s not much of an NBA prospect so he went back to school. He’s tall, but he’s so slow and has no perimeter game. He’d be a great pro 20 years ago lol

Edited by Js1