Malapropisms, Bad English and shit

MaybeACoordinator

I haven't read the entire thread yet.

Misuse of "less" and "fewer" bugs me.

"Whether or not" instead of just "whether" is fairly irritating to me.

More recently, I am bothered by split infinitives, mostly when reading rather than listening.  Example:  "I have always been an asshole" versus "I always have been an asshole."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

About 10 years ago we were playing Rockband, playing Tom Sawyer by Rush.  My buddy's girlfriend at the time was on vocals.  At the end of the second verse she belts out "Joan Rivers!"  We failed the song, laughing our asses off.

My ex is English and she thought Gin & Juice went like this: "Rollin' down the street smokin' and / or sippin' on gin and juice."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not English, but fuck it, cover me-- I'm going in.

Pale bespectacled Electrical Engineer by weekday, Lord Sir Conan Mac Hurghuhurguhur of the SCA by weekend? And you, double-dessert cat-lady High Priestess of Morrigan when not working the circulation desk?

I know you are nice people. You have fed me when I was hungry. I liked the mead. Just do one thing:

Quit trying to say anything in Gaelic. No, I don't know Gaelic either. But I know you are doing it wrong. You always say the words wrong. Screamingly wrong. Like, "Irish peasants in the 1840s would stop fighting over a potato to kick your ass" wrong. If they knew that it was Gaelic you were so creatively torturing. So you're probably safe.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 8:11 AM, BurntEyes said:

Frequent misuse of the word literally. 

A lot of people bitch about this, but I don't think it's actually incorrect.  They are using the word "literally" to emphasize the truth of the statement.  It's really the same as saying "actually."  Like, "That ACTUALLY happened."  "Actually" is superfluous, other than to add emphasis.  Intentional misuse of "literally" does the same thing.  Though it's true that most people probably don't realize they are misusing the word.  Now it's just an accepted saying.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

I haven't read the entire thread yet.

Misuse of "less" and "fewer" bugs me.

"Whether or not" instead of just "whether" is fairly irritating to me.

More recently, I am bothered by split infinitives, mostly when reading rather than listening.  Example:  "I have always been an asshole" versus "I always have been an asshole."

It's even worse when they say 'rather or not' rather than whether.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Pale bespectacled Electrical Engineer by weekday, Lord Sir Conan Mac Hurghuhurguhur of the SCA by weekend? And you, double-dessert cat-lady High Priestess of Morrigan when not working the circulation desk?

I know you are nice people. You have fed me when I was hungry. I liked the mead. Just do one thing:

Quit trying to say anything in Gaelic. No, I don't know Gaelic either. But I know you are doing it wrong. You always say the words wrong. Screamingly wrong. Like, "Irish peasants in the 1840s would stop fighting over a potato to kick your ass" wrong. If they knew that it was Gaelic you were so creatively torturing. So you're probably safe.

Is dòcha gu bheil thu ceart, ach a bheil e gu math cudromach?

Hey, anybody who changes their pronunciation of "latino" from English to Spanish in the middle of an English sentence. EG "Well when I was speaking with my latino friends..."

Thanks for doing that. I now know that you have a Frida tshirt. But when you do that, why is it you use that higher-pitched voice on that one word, like an old baby doll with a pull-string on the back?

I look forward to hearing about your vacation to la FRRRahnce where you visited Pah-RRReee.

17 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hey, anybody who changes their pronunciation of "latino" from English to Spanish in the middle of an English sentence. EG "Well when I was speaking with my latino friends..."

Thanks for doing that. I now know that you have a Frida tshirt. But when you do that, why is it you use that higher-pitched voice on that one word, like an old baby doll with a pull-string on the back?

I look forward to hearing about your vacation to la FRRRahnce where you visited Pah-RRReee.

21a2108fe0256037d75047c5b04da1cf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

They are just making up shit here. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Friend of mine had a punk band that did one big national tour and the lone Mexican American member would purposely annoy them all in the van with ludicrous overly Spanish enunciations of everything he could, from "taco" on up. 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:13 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Pronouncing double Ls in a Spanish word as Ls as opposed to Y.    Quesadilla, tortilla, etc. 

I was in Argentina last week and I corrected a co-worked who pronounced pollo with the L sound.  Shit if the Argentines don't pronounce the LL as a "ch" sound: Pocho.  Serves me right for trying.

However, I'll add "hal-uh-peen-oh" to this list.

Edited by Jimbaround

25 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

I was in Argentina last week and I corrected a co-worked who pronounced pollo with the L sound.  Shit if the Argentines don't pronounce the LL as a "ch" sound: Pocho.  Serves me right for trying.

Went on a date of sorts in HS (1980s) with a chick from Detroit who said kweeze-a-dillahs

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

When I took Spanish 1, for the second time, my professor was from Argentina.  Many students finished the class with an Argentinian accent.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I don't give a fuck what you "think".

Grammatically, it is incorrect, literally.

And while you make AXCept it, I sure as fuck do not. 

It is grammatically incorrect, which is precisely why people are doing it - for effect.  Grammatical rules are broken all the time for effect.

4 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Ever been to Coopers BBQ? 

The one in Llano?

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Went on a date of sorts in HS (1980s) with a chick from Detroit who said kweeze-a-dillahs

well shit, if we're going on that kick, both ways we pronounce "Amarillo, Texas" are wrong as fuck

as is the town itself

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:
1 hour ago, Rimbo said:
well shit, if we're going on that kick, both ways we pronounce "Amarillo, Texas" are wrong as fuck
as is the town itself

The Pedernales River, Guadalupe street, and San Felipe street say hi

Koenig Lane and Boerne, Texas would like to stipulate that this isn't limited to Spanish language malapropisms. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Gaelic has 40 words for "it will be cold and it will rain."

They have words for some weird shit. And names, like Delahanty and variant spellings. They all descend from a "plaintive satirist." Which means they have to be my kin. https://www.libraryireland.com/names/od/o-dulchaointigh.php

16 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

About 10 years ago we were playing Rockband, playing Tom Sawyer by Rush.  My buddy's girlfriend at the time was on vocals.  At the end of the second verse she belts out "Joan Rivers!"  We failed the song, laughing our asses off.

That the best thing I’ve ever read.