I Cancelled Netflix - Stories about why you cancel subcriptions

immamac

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

He cancelled his subscription to Surlyhorns. The administration allegedly shamed people who didn’t subscribe/donate at some point in time. To enact revenge, said poster donated to other outlets and secretly laughed at any chiding, knowing his true donation ability, exposing the chiding as self-righteous. 

The revenge finally revealed in a thread about cancelled streaming subscriptions, full of downs and fury, signifying nothing 

The same people started and run Texas One Fund so I guess the jokes on him? 

The fact that I can sit on the toilet and pause/cancel/renew/sign up for any streaming service with just a few clicks will always keep me streaming, even if I fucking hate streaming. 

I think many people have forgotten what absolute pieces of shit the cable companies were and how they fucked over their customers on an almost monthly basis. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

This thread reminded me to cancel Disney (annual but at least it won’t auto renew now) and get rid of 4K on YouTube TV (no content).

I cancelled my wife’s audible account a few weeks ago and she hasn’t noticed.

Fucking Audible.  If you cancel you lose all the credits you have.  Fuckers.

Fuck streaming. Making it the main home viewing thing was always a bad idea. It will continue to be until they advance tech enough and consolidate streaming networks much like cable/sat did. I'm not a fan of cable either, but I always laugh when streamers tell me about all these great old shows they are streaming that I watch for free with an old school antenna. Paying for free shit is for suckers. There aren't enough decent movies or shows to make the bullshit that is streaming worth it. I don't give a shit about any of it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything except for a lot of headaches and extra bills for things that can be a bitch to cancel. 

Then when you do it to live sports, that's a whole other level of bullshit. It is fail.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:45 PM, ClubWhatever said:

I think I've used free 7 day trials on all known subscription services.  Now I sit in dark silence. 

Netflix leaning hard on shitty amateur competitive cooking shows. I'm out. 

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My T-Mobile plan covers Netflix and apple+ so they feel free. Paramount is cheap and my wife likes their shitty cbs serials.  The directtv stream is the big one, it’s walked itself up to like $90 over the years from $40 or 45 when I first signed up during its launch. 

I'm still grandfathered in to an older plan where those two services are cheaper to add separately than to play for T-Mobile's more recent plan. Still get MLB though.

Oh, I forgot about prime! There's good things on Amazon, but I'm mostly on prime for shipping, so that's just a bonus to me.

Look, I don't get it. If there's something I want to watch, I'll pay for it. If not, I cancel. There's no need to be dramatic about it. I'll even buy movies and series outright if I can't easily stream them. I have more than enough things to entertain myself with, so nothing is a must-have.

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

There are passable free alternatives out there.  Tubi and (free) Youtube TV have a respectable selection.

Damn right. And with Firefox+ublock, you don't even have to see the ads.

I had Sling for football last season, and it didn’t carry Fox/ABC/NBC/etc so I finally got a decent antenna and got HD OTA. It is a kick watching old school tv using the tv remote, and it’s funny being 15 seconds ahead of seemingly everyone else in the game threads. 

get apple and netflix and mlb from tmobile, prime because prime, peacock comes with the cable sub, D+ on a year sub.  between all that and the various free stuff it's more content than i could hope to watch. 

the netflix password is shared with other households on my tmobile plan and i know that one is going to start bitching about me getting the netflix and not them (nvm that by being on my plan they're saving $80/month vs. their old plan)

On 5/26/2023 at 9:11 PM, immamac said:

It's hard to own anything really anymore. No one sells you anything but a subscription anymore when it comes to media.

Music is interesting because if it plays on the radio you can legally record it, the problem is that the radio doesn't play full albums and stuff. 

you can buy digital music from amazon music and download the actual files to your devices. 

amex platinum gives $20 monthly credit towards disney bundle (hulu, espn+, disney+)

i used to hoard media files offline mostly out of principle, but fuck it, its a PITA managing the archive.  im converted to # team streaming now

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

you can buy digital music from amazon music and download the actual files to your devices. 

amex platinum gives $20 monthly credit towards disney bundle (hulu, espn+, disney+)

i used to hoard media files offline mostly out of principle, but fuck it, its a PITA managing the archive.  im converted to # team streaming now

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

I recently found this when I decided to go offline again. Makes things so easy. 

I don't mind the Disney bundle as I get an incredible amount of value there between the 3 services for the price of less than Netflix by itself. Kids watch the shit out of Disney I watch the shit out of espn+ wife watches the shit out of Hulu. They would have to seriously handicap it for me to bail as it is the bulk of what people pay for cable TV for anyway. 

I got a black Friday deal on a year of peacock for like 12/yr.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, immamac said:

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

I recently found this when I decided to go offline again. Makes things so easy.

i used to have to do that basically as a ritual.  gotta archive the files locally.  then regularly sync/push it to different music players.  have to swap files manually onto different memory cards or sticks to play elsewhere.  push it onto phones when i swap the phones, which was regular occurence.

for a while i kept it on cloud storage, and even google play music allowed users to upload their private files and use the app interface for playback.

in the end, i'm happy to pay a small fee for on-demand access to millions of songs managed by the tech giants, and for me to access anywhere through a single interface

At some point, it's not worth chasing free alternatives. Personally I like rotating the paid services with the only downside if you enjoy talking new shows with people as the episodes are dropped weekly like with Apple, HBO, Amazon or Hulu.  I haven't had HBO for several years and I wished that I had it the past few months to follow along with the ending of Succession.

FWIW, right now I pay for:

• Hulu (<$20/year)
  • Paramount+ (free via credit card)
  • Apple+ (I was thinking of dropping but a quick search on upcoming shows will keep me in. Apple has the best quality in terms of %ages.)
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+ (~$3/mo)
  • Peacock (free with Xfinity internet but I believe that is ending in June)
  • Youtube videos without ads. I use this for music as well.

I've shared (& paid) for a Netflix account but I may drop as I struggle to find much like that I like. Disney might go after I check out Ahsoka in Aug.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

i used to have to do that basically as a ritual.  gotta archive the files locally.  then regularly sync/push it to different music players.  have to swap files manually onto different memory cards or sticks to play elsewhere.  push it onto phones when i swap the phones, which was regular occurence.

for a while i kept it on cloud storage, and even google play music allowed users to upload their private files and use the app interface for playback.

in the end, i'm happy to pay a small fee for on-demand access to millions of songs managed by the tech giants, and for me to access anywhere through a single interface

This was before Jellyfin or Emby were actually up to snuff alternatives. It's basically 1 click to never have to do that again and get what you get with streaming with your offline set of music now. 

DTV Stream - split 3 ways

Disney/Hulu/ESPN no ads - split 3 ways

HBO (Max) - free with my phone 

Paramount+

Prime, but mostly as a benefit to the Prime shipping

Peacock with ads 

Netflix 

Apple TV

With Internet ($50), I think it comes out to like $125/month (if you split Prime into 12 months though it’s a yearly bill). Considering how much original content I consume + sports + movies, it’s worth it 

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

At some point, it's not worth chasing free alternatives. Personally I like rotating the paid services with the only downside if you enjoy talking new shows with people as the episodes are dropped weekly like with Apple, HBO, Amazon or Hulu.  I haven't had HBO for several years and I wished that I had it the past few months to follow along with the ending of Succession.

FWIW, right now I pay for:

• Hulu (<$20/year)
  • Paramount+ (free via credit card)
  • Apple+ (I was thinking of dropping but a quick search on upcoming shows will keep me in. Apple has the best quality in terms of %ages.)
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+ (~$3/mo)
  • Peacock (free with Xfinity internet but I believe that is ending in June)
  • Youtube videos without ads. I use this for music as well.

I've shared (& paid) for a Netflix account but I may drop as I struggle to find much like that I like. Disney might go after I check out Ahsoka in Aug.

If you can pay for all those subscriptions, then this thread really isn't for you. It is for the poors.

Personally, I might have to get another subscription (I currently only have Amazon Prime, and not for the streaming or music but they are part of the package); I use my daughters Netflix and Disney+ (she used to have HBO Max but dropped that when I was 2 seasons into Hacks); Mrs. Fairway & I tell ourselves that we really only use them when our grandkids are here so they can watch "their" shows. But we all know that isn't really being fully honest. 
If I have to we will probably get Disney+; but my daughter and her husband are really the target for the Netflix change - on their account they have their residence and phones, our house, 2 other of my children (one in Seattle, another near Ann Arbor), his father, his mother and either his uncle or his sister - so they have 7 residences using the same Netflix account. I haven't tried to get into that account in a couple of weeks, guess I will need to do that. Should I be pissed that I might not get to freeload off my kids?

34 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

If you can pay for all those subscriptions, then this thread really isn't for you. It is for the poors.

Personally, I might have to get another subscription (I currently only have Amazon Prime, and not for the streaming or music but they are part of the package); I use my daughters Netflix and Disney+ (she used to have HBO Max but dropped that when I was 2 seasons into Hacks); Mrs. Fairway & I tell ourselves that we really only use them when our grandkids are here so they can watch "their" shows. But we all know that isn't really being fully honest. 
If I have to we will probably get Disney+; but my daughter and her husband are really the target for the Netflix change - on their account they have their residence and phones, our house, 2 other of my children (one in Seattle, another near Ann Arbor), his father, his mother and either his uncle or his sister - so they have 7 residences using the same Netflix account. I haven't tried to get into that account in a couple of weeks, guess I will need to do that. Should I be pissed that I might not get to freeload off my kids?

You think I pay a lot for this?  I add it up to $35 per month and that includes free shipping with Amazon plus the other Amazon services.  I guess it has been $40-45 because I periodically throw some money at my friend how has the Netflix account but that's ending.

And when a service is free or cheap as part of a package, like with Amazon Prime, it's very likely that I would have the overall service regardless of the streaming services.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

It is? I thought this thread was to brag about how cool people are for cancelling a subscription because they don't like the platform's new password sharing rules.  

Netflix didn't pull the rug out from anyone with this - they tested it in other markets and made it known this was coming to the U.S. market, so people had time to adjust.  Netflix is like $15 a month - that's 3-5 trips to Starbucks.   Or if you're cheap, get the ad version for like $6.  You just won't have everything available to you right away.

I like to consume content - whether it's a new series, an old series, a new movie or a comfort movie. I also like options.  I have thousands of options for $75 month (I'd have internet regardless if I had 10 or 0 streaming services).  In the old days, I'd be paying $200 for traditional cable + internet package and Netflix, with a trip to the Red Box two or three times a month for a movie.   My parents continuously think they're getting a good "deal" with $150-$175 cable bills via AT&T or Xfinity.  I don't have the heart to tell them I pay $100 less for 50x the content. 

Streaming is here to stay.  Adapt or die.  Maybe go read a book by candlelight. 

Edited by Js1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It is? I thought this thread was to brag about how cool people are for cancelling a subscription because they don't like the platform's new password sharing rules.  

Netflix didn't pull the rug out from anyone with this - they tested it in other markets and made it known this was coming to the U.S. market, so people had time to adjust.  Netflix is like $15 a month - that's 3-5 trips to Starbucks.   Or if you're cheap, get the ad version for like $6.  You just won't have everything available to you right away.

I like to consume content - whether it's a new series, an old series, a new movie or a comfort movie. I also like options.  I have thousands of options for $75 month (I'd have internet regardless if I had 10 or 0 streaming services).  In the old days, I'd be paying $200 for traditional cable + internet package and Netflix, with a trip to the Red Box two or three times a month for a movie.   My parents continuously think they're getting a good "deal" with $150-$175 cable bills via AT&T or Xfinity.  I don't have the heart to tell them I pay $100 less for 50x the content. 

Streaming is here to stay.  Adapt or die.  Maybe go read a book by candlelight. 

My problem is Netflix content is shit and cost too much and then they fucked with the value of my subscription by turning it off for the people that were getting value out of the subscription. 

The thread title is legitimately "stories about why you cancel subscriptions" and everyone else seems to get the point of the thread except for you, who thinks it's about me bragging about something? I don't actually know what or how your brain processes things and I'm not here to tell you that it's right or wrong, but the way you interpret the goal of the thread and conversation is not aligned with how many other posters including myself intended for it to be.

In a very "this is just for me and i don't care or judge what anyone else does here" kind of way that is on topic for why cancel/not cancel subscriptions, I made a choice at some point to no longer steal media and if that is off the table the value is pretty compelling.

• Hook 'Em 1

can we point out how amazon prime's interface is such ass compared to netflix's?  brother you just have a home screen, a search function, and mostly a video player bar.  how can it trail netflix's so much in usability?

3 hours ago, immamac said:

My problem is Netflix content is shit and cost too much

I dropped Netflix at the  last price increase about a year ago. It had nearly doubled in price since when I started my subscription, and the mix of Netflix content vs ROW content skews largely to the former and most of their content is godawful crap. Its not the $16/month, thats fairly trivial. But continually raising your prices while your product deteriorates into shit just pisses me off, so fuck em.  I have Prime, the Hulu/Disney/ESPN sub as apart of my Verizon plan, Spotify and Youtube TV, and I need to ditch Youtube TV as well. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 2:11 PM, immamac said:

It's hard to own anything really anymore. No one sells you anything but a subscription anymore when it comes to media.

Music is interesting because if it plays on the radio you can legally record it, the problem is that the radio doesn't play full albums and stuff. 

You can record every single Red Hot Chili Peppers song off of 101x over the course of a week.

Edited by MissingInAction