Sandwich hall of fame

Brisketexan

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not true.  A split roll w/o full separation creates a sandwich.  It can be one contiguous piece of bread, even if hinged.

Besides, the Greeks call it a "gyro sandwich", when it's a single pita wrap.

complete bullshit and I have never ordered a gyro sandwich before everyone calls it a gyro. Have fun ordering a taco sandwich

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

If the Cuban isn’t at least a 2 seed, I will either be 1) rioting or B) writing my congressman. 

And whoever said chopped brisket sandwich is a dark horse is a certified sharp. Put that thing up against an Italian Beef in round one and you have definite “12 upsetting a 5” vibes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If I’m anywhere near the coast, I’m living on blackened fish of the day sandwiches for lunch. Doesn’t matter what else is on the menu, blackened grouper sandwich, blackened mahi sandwich, etc. are all winning out other than the occasional taco version which it sounds like may also be a sandwich.

I’ve been thinking about why I am ok with a gyro being a sandwich but a taco of any sort is NOT a sandwich. And I’ve decided that it’s because even though pita is “flatbread,” it’s leavened (with yeast!) and rises and has a crumb. I think that that’s a key to a sandwich. Some people put baking powder in their flour tortillas, but by no means do you HAVE to and the closer you get to the border, the less likely you get it.  Roti, wraps, tortillas— no crumb, not leavened. Not a sandwich. 

We need a chart like this but for sandwiches. 

image.thumb.jpeg.abe57c2c0792b516e7ad52f48e5a1afa.jpeg

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay.  Based on the ongoing discussion, distinct variations of certain types (multiple po-boys, multiple tortas), adding some things in (yep, made the call that hot dog is a sandwich - argue all you want, the decision has been made)...we're up to 54 entries.  We can probably come up with a few additional variations (hey, maybe Bozo gets his crawfish and boudin po-boy after all), and I'd really like us to come up with some other actual original sandwiches (but something more than one of us has actually heard of).  The current list (not proofread, maybe there's a duplicate in there somewhere):

bahn mi

muffuletta

meatball sub

Philly cheesesteak

Italian deli grinder/sub

croque madame

croquet monsiure

Cuban

classic grilled cheese

BLT

Reuben

Pastrami on rye

Club

Shrimp Po-boy

Oyster po-boy

Roast beef po-boy

Montecristo

Sweet-hot fried chicken (maybe just "fried chicken," and let that include all varieties)

CFS sandwich

Iowa fried pork tenderloin sandwich

Fried fish sandwich

Crab cake sandwich

Cheeseburger

Patty melt

French dip

Italian beef

Italian sausage sub

Chopped BBQ beef

Carolina pulled pork

Sliced brisket

Torta de milanesa

Torta de lengua

Torta de barbacoa

Torta Pambozo

Gyro

Doner kebab

Lobster Roll

Hot brown

The Elvis

Chopped liver

Egg salad

Tuna salad

Chicken salad

Chinese pork belly bun

Pimento cheese

Beef on weck

English muffin breakfast sandwich (all breakfast sandwiches are meat (any meat – ham, bacon, sausage), egg, cheese)

Biscuit breakfast sandwich

BOB

Breakfast sandwich on toast

Bagel with cream cheese and lox sandwich

Chili dog (yeah, we’re taking the “hot dog is a sandwich” position, deal with it)

Chicago dog

NY kraut dog

END NOTE: variations could include Sonoran hot dog, crawfish and boudin po-boy, torta ahogada.  And some unique ones that really may belong are bocadillo de jamon serrano...others?

I think we need a panini on there. Agree on the jamon serrano. Clam roll? 

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about why I am ok with a gyro being a sandwich but a taco of any sort is NOT a sandwich. And I’ve decided that it’s because even though pita is “flatbread,” it’s leavened (with yeast!) and rises and has a crumb. I think that that’s a key to a sandwich. Some people put baking powder in their flour tortillas, but by no means do you HAVE to and the closer you get to the border, the less likely you get it.  Roti, wraps, tortillas— no crumb, not leavened. Not a sandwich. 

We need a chart like this but for sandwiches. 

image.thumb.jpeg.abe57c2c0792b516e7ad52f48e5a1afa.jpeg

431e31b994a23c665bd77685682b8e83.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Merriam Webster explicitly allows a "split roll" in their definition of a sandwich, but doesn't define "roll" (or "split", for that matter).  Open face is allowed:

atwo or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
bone slice of bread covered with food
Have an open-faced sandwich, with one slice of bread instead of two, mustard instead of butter, and some vegetable sticks to munch on.Your Health & Fitness

img_8065.jpg

There it is. Now this thread has all that it needs.

Is there a site where one can build a bracket for people to vote on? I’ll wrap up the list soon, and then invite a select committee to share their ranking so we can seed the entries, and will build a bracket.

Understand that I’ll still make shit up and do wackadoo shit like make an egg salad sandwich a 3 seed, because chaos and outrage are fun.
  • Haha 1

There it is. Now this thread has all that it needs.

Is there a site where one can build a bracket for people to vote on? I’ll wrap up the list soon, and then invite a select committee to share their ranking so we can seed the entries, and will build a bracket.

Understand that I’ll still make shit up and do wackadoo shit like make an egg salad sandwich a 3 seed, because chaos and outrage are fun.

Do we get a bracket of who is eligible to be on the committee and then we vote on that?
  • Haha 1

Do we get a bracket of who is eligible to be on the committee and then we vote on that?

Nope. I’ll select some participants in this thread….and at least one poster who hasn’t shown up on this thread at all, and who has no idea WTF I’m even talking about.
Because chaos.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Motherfucker did you actually just suggest using Teams?

Teams?

If it's good enough for our federal government it's good enough for me...but, then, I'm a masochist.

Oh...and I'm also way too fucking lazy to read the whole thread, so I bring you the Hot Brown...

Hot-Brown-Credit-Chris-Witzke-3-900x720.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 2

19 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

A taco is not a sandwich but a genre all to themselves. A burrito is a taco. A taco is not a burrito.

Never in my life have a group of us agreed to go out for sandwiches and, thus, gone to a taco truck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Taco Mayo in OK had a Taco Burger in the 80s that was both a taco and a hamburger.  And it was every bit as good as that sounds smothered in hot sauce. 

Taco Mayo was serving seasoned potato rounds with tacos (and the taco burger) while Del Taco was still a gleam in its daddy’s eye. 

Or, we might say:

Taco Mayo

a) slams

b) goes hard

c) all of the above 

4 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Taco Mayo was serving seasoned potato rounds with tacos (and the taco burger) while Del Taco was still a gleam in its daddy’s eye. 

Or, we might say:

Taco Mayo

a) slams

b) goes hard

c) all of the above 

There was a Taco Mayo in the bottom floor of one of the dorms at OU when I was there.  Never an amazing idea for a whole meal, but you could get down to the pennies on your meal plan points with dollar menu items, including a tortilla chili pie.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Let’s get this sandwich thing done and settled. Then…I’m happy to bring my arbitrary and capricious management skills to the HOF for the food of my people.

Sixty pages on the fallacy of chicken fajitas?

No thanks. 

🙄

• Like 1

image.png.62610ead75e92d4dced397f45bc9294d.png

The Montreal Smoked Meat is worth a try...I know, I know...bUt PaStrAmI!!!  STFU.  It's different.

Dug me some MSM sandwiches back when we’d visit the daughter in Montreal. Back then, I was working with an old Jewish lawyer from Chicago. He told me what to expect, on classic old Jewish lawyer speak: “I tried it…it was fine…but it was PASTRAMI.”
  • Haha 1