Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve been here all year bro. And I prefer to be referred to as a pathetic, blathering idiot.

Welcome to baseball (the board that is) lol.

Gotta get the hot takes from the casuals 

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

We faced 7 0-2 counts in 46 plate appearances, so this notion can go ahead and die.

Their starting pitcher threw 1 first pitch strike the entire first time through the batting order.

It was a bit of hyperbole, hence the word “seemed”.  But, now do how many times throughout the series we were behind in the count after taking a first pitch strike.  

I’ll hang up and listen.

0-1 counts, 0-2 counts, 1-2 counts, it’s all part of the problem that we had.  That notion dies just a little bit harder.

Edited by Cajun

By losers. I see it all the time in my son’s travel team and it is pervasive, so you’re not alone. He’s a pitcher and unhittable. His issue had been walks. And I can’t stand my friends around me trying to get in my ear or yelling at blue. And I will respond to your pathetic post because it’s pervasive on this Board too, regardless of sport. It’s absolutely laughably sad. 

Then perhaps you should have considered the philosophical portion of the Morehouse point I made. And it’s a discussion I’ve had with an umpire scheduler. One I consider a friend. Working with umpires with TASO ties. A discussion on the strike zone.

But you’re not here for discussion. You’re here to insult and attempt to impose your knowledge.

Zane’s pitch and the balls to Campbell were great pitches. All called balls because maybe they were slightly low. Maybe. All 3 games pitches over the heart of the plate barely above the belt were balls. Yet we had a number of strikes called 3 inches off the plate. Rewarding a pitcher with a strike he didn’t deserve that a hitter can’t reasonably handle and conversely rewarding a hitter on a borderline call on a pitch he absolutely can handle is not a trade off that improves baseball. And it doesn’t promote consistency either.

My point of discussion is not laughably bad. The fact that I’m arguing with you is.
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

We ranked 8th in the country in ERA.

College baseball is offensive-centric now. More advanced hitters, smaller strike zones, more data available. This isn't 2011 anymore. The "standard" will never be met again because the standard has changed. There was one team in college baseball this year with a team ERA under 3.5.

39 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Very good point.  That's one of the things Texas is going to have to adapt to.  Can't be just a pitching/defense program anymore.  They're going to have to start recruiting differently.  Look at LSU's roster.  A bunch of big dudes with a handful of "skill players" mixed in.  Even Stanford's guys were notably bigger guys (for the most part).

It's not about winning 4-1 via pitching and defense anymore.  It's about giving up 8, but scoring 10.

I am on Surly daily, but not so much this board.  What a fucking beating!!! 

More pussies here than 6th street in the 80's!!!

One thing that hasn't changed; pitching & defense are the recipe for CWS success. I've been listening and watching Texas Baseball since the pre Disch-Falk days, and pitching depth has always been the keys to Texas' success.

The last few CWS Champions, Vanderbilt, Miss St And Ole Miss had stellar pitching performances that earned them the titles. Yeah, Chicks dig the long ball, put pitching rules the day.  Texas had the best staff in baseball last year, until we lost Tanner Witt, but it was not to be. 

We knew this was a rebuilding year, coming off of back to back CWS teams. Still. we were a once in forever play from going back to the CWS, again; that's a helluva accomplishment given the expectations and how the season started.

I was thinking about Stanford's home field advantage before the game. Playing in Northern California, at twilight, having to play the end of the game in cold weather. Much different than the Texas heat. The shitty lights and the distance from the plate to the backstop.  All came into play last night.

Texas got within a whisker of winning, even though we did so many little things not quite right in the process. 

I was pumped yesterday. Texas v. Stanford, the way is used to be, 2 time zones away from the SEC crap.  A chance to go fuck up some smart kids. I replaced by Ukraine Flag with my Texas Flag, put on my Texas-Omaha tee shirt, got my beer and big ass bowl of buttered popcorn, and cussed the TV for 3 hours with occasional moments of Yes!!!

What a gut punch! This one hurt, because it was so sudden, and literally out of left  right field.

Dylan Campbell had a season for the ages, a 5 tool player, personified. Game tying RBI and the defensive play of the series in the same inning.  Anybody ragging on him, even a bit, should be taken out back, and kicked hard, right in the fucking ass. I'll be happy to take the first kick.

Or, ...

image.png.cf1dfe6071bc17b84c7e9a1dd041d61d.png

Pierce has some shit to clean up, no doubt.

No more rebuilding years, go hit the portal, hard. (How did we not get Skenes?)

Don't get swept by a conference team,  an unranked team,  ... especially OU ... at home.

The conference tournament should have been a non-event for Texas to set our staff for the regionals. The oh-for hurt.

Those two things probably cost us a home regional.

Playing at Miami and at Stanford is a tough draw. We almost got there.

Do better next year, play at home, and make us proud, damn it.

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This was undoubtedly a fun and frustrating baseball season.  In retrospect, I think it was inevitable that this team would end the season on some kind of weird ass play.  I was just sure that the play would occur in Omaha.  I had to turn off the blathering idiots on tv last night and listen to the Craig Way broadcast.  I also had to quit reading this board.  Where the fuck do all the blathering idiot posters come from during the postseason?  Next year, please stay there.

it's a tradition like no other.

• Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve been here all year bro. And I prefer to be referred to as a pathetic, blathering idiot.

I don't think he was talking about you. maybe i'm wrong.

40 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We are absolutely fucked if we don’t get a true Friday night starter in the portal.

Edit: wrong thread

still true.

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

Does anyone know how many times we put RISP with 2 outs? At times it felt as if we could only get going with no one on and 2 outs. 

And we still got six runs. Stanford also did almost all of their damage with 2 outs last night. Just a night for 2 out rallies.

this idea that pitching and defense wins championships is idiotic. the teams that win have all three, pitching, defense and at least timely offense.  Then you need an X factor. This team clearly had the X factor, but it lacked enough pitching and timely offense when it came down to it. defense in the post season was not an issue. timely offense requires you beat the baseball law of averages (we batted what, .292 on the year? that's not good enough).  you can't be top 10 in pitching, top 20 in defense and top 50 in offense and expect to end #1 at the end of a tournament like this.  In fact, we probably finished ahead of where we belonged but maybe not by much (10-15). The best Texas teams though were top 5 or top 10 in pitching and defense that's true, sometimes flat out #1, but offense wasn't far behind, case in point, the 2005 team hitting .302 for average.  in the end, you can be best at pitching and/or defense but you need to be great in all three phases of the game and have an X factor to win.  Texas was at best good enough on defense (playing top 10 ball in the post season) and had the X factor. Neither pitching nor offense was good enough this year and most of us knew it too.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

And we still got six runs. Stanford also did almost all of their damage with 2 outs last night. Just a night for 2 out rallies.

It’s a nod to how they battled the whole night. Still stressful as hell tho. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

we got six runs going (I think) 3-11 with RISP.  we left 7 runners on through the middle of the game.  We could have scored 9 or 10 easily. that's baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the pitching got us to game 3 of the super basically. the bats came alive.  we had them even with all the calls that went their way.  we got a few but not nearly as many as they did.

Stanford's horrible 9th inning in game 1 got us to game 3. We returned the favor in game 3 in the 9th and the better team advanced.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Don't get swept by a conference team,  an unranked team,  ... especially OU ... at home.

My thoughts exactly. We don't get swept by OU and we are sole Big 12 Champs hosting a regional. The post- season trajectory is completely different. 

And remember when we all thought Skenes would come here after the AF series last year? How does a rotation of Skenes, Gordon, and LBJ sound? 

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Weird flex considering who two of the three coaches are currently at UT.

You and other the other Johnny come latelys are the ones bitching about Pierce. Not me.

Oh, he's crappy and can't recruit!! (AGAIN, look at some of the incoming PITCHERS committed)

Oh, and I'm well aware where Pierce and Woody played their college ball. (Pierce was actually a foe of mine in JUCO ball)

Weird flex?? Lemme 'splain it to your density. Htown horn?? Hmmmm, maybe follow that school.... Better?

jack off please GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was playing a tournament at St. Ed's at the end of high school and lost a ball in the clouds in right field with 2 outs and the opposing team's winning run on 3rd.  It was right around the same time of evening and I saw the ball off the bat, but then it was just gone.  I saw it again about a foot from my face.  It went off my orbital bone and as I hit the ground I heard it hit the outfield fence.  That was a shitty feeling.

at least you had your head in the game 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Then perhaps you should have considered the philosophical portion of the Morehouse point I made. And it’s a discussion I’ve had with an umpire scheduler. One I consider a friend. Working with umpires with TASO ties. A discussion on the strike zone.

But you’re not here for discussion. You’re here to insult and attempt to impose your knowledge.

Zane’s pitch and the balls to Campbell were great pitches. All called balls because maybe they were slightly low. Maybe. All 3 games pitches over the heart of the plate barely above the belt were balls. Yet we had a number of strikes called 3 inches off the plate. Rewarding a pitcher with a strike he didn’t deserve that a hitter can’t reasonably handle and conversely rewarding a hitter on a borderline call on a pitch he absolutely can handle is not a trade off that improves baseball. And it doesn’t promote consistency either.

My point of discussion is not laughably bad. The fact that I’m arguing with you is.

More reasonable and I’ll try and be reasonable too. I’ll never understand the obsession with bitching about officiating, and I don’t know if we’re worse than any other fan base, but we’re bad. Talking about non-holds in football and arguing balls and strikes is mind-numbing to me. It did not matter this series. We were lucky to not have been swept, even with this supposed insurmountable umpiring against us. We lost the series because our top end pitching couldn’t throw strikes and when they did they got hammered, and our bats are nowhere near the caliber of Stanford’s. That we only gave up 6.67 per game is a testament to our pitching gutsiness and some luck. 

14 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

You and other the other Johnny come latelys are the ones bitching about Pierce. Not me.

Oh, he's crappy and can't recruit!! (AGAIN, look at some of the incoming PITCHERS committed)

Oh, and I'm well aware where Pierce and Woody played their college ball. (Pierce was actually a foe of mine in JUCO ball)

Weird flex?? Lemme 'splain it to your density. Htown horn?? Hmmmm, maybe follow that school.... Better?

jack off please GIF

I don’t care about your “flex”. The Johnny come lately comments are tiresome. I can’t watch 30 hoops and 55 baseball games because I have teenagers that play amongst them 5 sports. I can comment frequently on 12 football games because it’s stop down viewing for me. As conference hoops and playoff hoops/baseball. 

At any rate I feel like I’m very knowledgeable on all our teams and this one is no exception despite the fact I didn’t see some Tuesday games. We weren’t expected to be where we were and were very close to making another CWS. I’m pretty happy with Pierce and the boys and find no shame in a freak play to probably the second best hitting team left in the dance. 

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

I am on Surly daily, but not so much this board.  What a fucking beating!!! 

More pussies here than 6th street in the 80's!!!

One thing that hasn't changed; pitching & defense are the recipe for CWS success. I've been listening and watching Texas Baseball since the pre Disch-Falk days, and pitching depth has always been the keys to Texas' success.

The last few CWS Champions, Vanderbilt, Miss St And Ole Miss had stellar pitching performances that earned them the titles. Yeah, Chicks dig the long ball, put pitching rules the day.  Texas had the best staff in baseball last year, until we lost Tanner Witt, but it was not to be. 

We knew this was a rebuilding year, coming off of back to back CWS teams. Still. we were a once in forever play from going back to the CWS, again; that's a helluva accomplishment given the expectations and how the season started.

I was thinking about Stanford's home field advantage before the game. Playing in Northern California, at twilight, having to play the end of the game in cold weather. Much different than the Texas heat. The shitty lights and the distance from the plate to the backstop.  All came into play last night.

Texas got within a whisker of winning, even though we did so many little things not quite right in the process. 

I was pumped yesterday. Texas v. Stanford, the way is used to be, 2 time zones away from the SEC crap.  A chance to go fuck up some smart kids. I replaced by Ukraine Flag with my Texas Flag, put on my Texas-Omaha tee shirt, got my beer and big ass bowl of buttered popcorn, and cussed the TV for 3 hours with occasional moments of Yes!!!

What a gut punch! This one hurt, because it was so sudden, and literally out of left  right field.

Dylan Campbell had a season for the ages, a 5 tool player, personified. Game tying RBI and the defensive play of the series in the same inning.  Anybody ragging on him, even a bit, should be taken out back, and kicked hard, right in the fucking ass. I'll be happy to take the first kick.

Or, ...

image.png.cf1dfe6071bc17b84c7e9a1dd041d61d.png

Pierce has some shit to clean up, no doubt.

The conference tournament should have been a non-event for Texas to set our staff for the regionals. The oh-for hurt.

Playing at Miami and at Stanford is a tough draw. We almost got there.

Do better next year, play at home, and make us proud, damn it.

Maybe ease off on calling people pussies and talking about kicking people in the ass.  Everybody knows you wouldn't do a damn thing in person and it takes away from your baseball related points.  (You quoted me, so I'm not sure if any of that was directed my way or what.)

Regarding your baseball comments, I don't disagree with much - rebuilding year, outperformed expectations, etc. 

However, the game has changed a bit.  Pitching/defense and manufacturing a few runs here and there doesn't cut it anymore.  Sure, pitching and defense is still necessary, but in 2023 you have to put up runs.  It's shifted a little more toward offensively outscoring the other team vs. defensively limiting their runs to fewer than yours (obviously you have to score more runs than your opponent; I'm talking strategy and how you get there).

Pitchers, no matter how good, still have to throw the ball through the strike zone.  As hitters get better, stronger, and smarter (through analytics), they're narrowing the gap between good pitching and good hitting.  The adage of "good pitching beats good hitting" is still true, but not as much as it used to be.  Teams, Texas included, have to recruit and develop hitters too.

I speak from experience, not just observation and theory.  I actually played college ball (maybe you did too; not saying I'm the only one or anything special) and today's game is a LOT different than when I played ~25 years ago.  The athletes are more athletic, swings are different, tactics/strategies are different, etc., etc.  

Baseball is no different than any other sport - it changes over time and if you don't change with it, you get left behind.  I hope Texas changes with it - minus the fur coat HR celebrations, mullets, and all that other flashy/dumb shit - or the SEC is going to be a meat grinder.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Baseball is no different than any other sport - it changes over time and if you don't change with it, you get left behind.  I hope Texas changes with it - minus the fur coat HR celebrations, mullets, and all that other flashy/dumb shit - or the SEC is going to be a meat grinder.  

I'm sure you already know and would agree with this. But the SEC is going to be a meat grinder regardless.

There is nothing that can be done to make things "easy" in that conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

More reasonable and I’ll try and be reasonable too. I’ll never understand the obsession with bitching about officiating, and I don’t know if we’re worse than any other fan base, but we’re bad. Talking about non-holds in football and arguing balls and strikes is mind-numbing to me. It did not matter this series. We were lucky to not have been swept, even with this supposed insurmountable umpiring against us. We lost the series because our top end pitching couldn’t throw strikes and when they did they got hammered, and our bats are nowhere near the caliber of Stanford’s. That we only gave up 6.67 per game is a testament to our pitching gutsiness and some luck. 

interesting.

5 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

More reasonable and I’ll try and be reasonable too. I’ll never understand the obsession with bitching about officiating, and I don’t know if we’re worse than any other fan base, but we’re bad. Talking about non-holds in football and arguing balls and strikes is mind-numbing to me. 

It is because we love Texas and we care and thus lack any objectivity when it comes to their games. You don't come here for unbiased takes. 

Anyway we lost the series. Whether it was the umps or GREAT JUSTICE BECAUSE STANFORD IS 10X THE TEAM OUR SHITTY GUYS ARE it doesn't matter. We lost and it sucks. Now we hope for something better next year.

Edited by Valmy77

Let's make this the final post in this thread and move on.

Postgame.   Note Witt's arm around Gordon and unidentified coach's arm on DC.    Outstanding young men who will be much stronger after this experience.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5aadd2b5dd89997467ea6f81b7c4149.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm sure you already know and would agree with this. But the SEC is going to be a meat grinder regardless.

There is nothing that can be done to make things "easy" in that conference.

Texas coming into the conference makes it harder on the other teams as well….no easy outs.

5 hours ago, Hondo said:

Maybe ease off on calling people pussies and talking about kicking people in the ass.  Everybody knows you wouldn't do a damn thing in person and it takes away from your baseball related points.  (You quoted me, so I'm not sure if any of that was directed my way or what.)

Regarding your baseball comments, I don't disagree with much - rebuilding year, outperformed expectations, etc. 

However, the game has changed a bit.  Pitching/defense and manufacturing a few runs here and there doesn't cut it anymore.  Sure, pitching and defense is still necessary, but in 2023 you have to put up runs.  It's shifted a little more toward offensively outscoring the other team vs. defensively limiting their runs to fewer than yours (obviously you have to score more runs than your opponent; I'm talking strategy and how you get there).

Pitchers, no matter how good, still have to throw the ball through the strike zone.  As hitters get better, stronger, and smarter (through analytics), they're narrowing the gap between good pitching and good hitting.  The adage of "good pitching beats good hitting" is still true, but not as much as it used to be.  Teams, Texas included, have to recruit and develop hitters too.

I speak from experience, not just observation and theory.  I actually played college ball (maybe you did too; not saying I'm the only one or anything special) and today's game is a LOT different than when I played ~25 years ago.  The athletes are more athletic, swings are different, tactics/strategies are different, etc., etc.  

Hondo, I "responded" to your post, but my comments were not directed at you. Apologies.  I read about 5 pages of comments before yours, and with my alcohol induced wisdom, let it fly ...

So, a 60+ year old man kicks you in the ass, and you go to jail for doing something about it? The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Ok, sorry. Still, someone ragging on DC & EK?  They didn't make an error or a bad decision that led to a "hit", they never saw the ball. They're kids playing a game. EK has 40+ career infield hits and has patrolled CF as well as anybody, and DC had as complete a year as any player I've seen in almost 50 years.   It clearly was not our destiny to win. Nuff said?

I agree you need hitting, timely hitting. But Pitching & Defense still rule.  Quinn Matthews made a good hitting Texas team look really bad.  LBJ made Miami look bad. A pitcher can get in a groove and control a game like nobody else.

Some aspects of the game change. Aaron Judge puts up big numbers, but Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman put trophies in the case.

Knowing the Stanford pitcher hadn't pitched much this year, I expected our guys to take some pitches. Nope, went up their swinging. I'm sure Gus was cussing from his grave.

I did notice, going into the conference tournaments, only 2 SEC team had winning records on the road, with 4 in the Big 12, including Texas.

The SEC will be fun. Brutal, but a lot of good athlete's showing their stuff.

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nsiap

Just wanted to say that this play was the best thing I saw all season given the situation etc

season tickets x 6 and I’m grateful for the unexpected season this team gave us this year. Nothing much more to say other than it was awesome watching this team gel and solidified my kids belief in Texas baseball always being  badass motherfuckers no matter the circumstances 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Hondo, I "responded" to your post, but my comments were not directed at you. Apologies.  I read about 5 pages of comments before yours, and with my alcohol induced wisdom, let it fly ...

So, a 60+ year old man kicks you in the ass, and you go to jail for doing something about it? The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Ok, sorry. Still, someone ragging on DC & EK?  They didn't make an error or a bad decision that led to a "hit", they never saw the ball. They're kids playing a game. EK has 40+ career infield hits and has patrolled CF as well as anybody, and DC had as complete a year as any player I've seen in almost 50 years.   It clearly was not our destiny to win. Nuff said?

I agree you need hitting, timely hitting. But Pitching & Defense still rule.  Quinn Matthews made a good hitting Texas team look really bad.  LBJ made Miami look bad. A pitcher can get in a groove and control a game like nobody else.

Some aspects of the game change. Aaron Judge puts up big numbers, but Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman put trophies in the case.

Knowing the Stanford pitcher hadn't pitched much this year, I expected our guys to take some pitches. Nope, went up their swinging. I'm sure Gus was cussing from his grave.

I did notice, going into the conference tournaments, only 2 SEC team had winning records on the road, with 4 in the Big 12, including Texas.

The SEC will be fun. Brutal, but a lot of good athlete's showing their stuff.

No sweat.  Agreed on EK and DC.  They both had great seasons and aren't to blame for the way it ended.  Can't see what you can't see.  Here's the AB just before the final one.  Granted, the tying run was a gift to us (2 strike 3s the ump didn't call on DC), but still.  Crazy how it went down.  

image.png.1545f4d97d794a1e55753257ea51f533.png

1 hour ago, Hondo said:

No sweat.  Agreed on EK and DC.  They both had great seasons and aren't to blame for the way it ended.  Can't see what you can't see.  Here's the AB just before the final one.  Granted, the tying run was a gift to us (2 strike 3s the ump didn't call on DC), but still.  Crazy how it went down.  

image.png.1545f4d97d794a1e55753257ea51f533.png

that dude was crazy awful behind the plate.  we got a few called our way but we bore the brunt of his fuckery.  and then you got the 2 hit batter calls.

team deserved a better fate.

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that dude was crazy awful behind the plate.  we got a few called our way but we bore the brunt of his fuckery.  and then you got the 2 hit batter calls.

team deserved a better fate.

I guess I can see the one with Porter, but the first one was absolute fuckery. That's a HBP 99% of the time.

14 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It is because we love Texas and we care and thus lack any objectivity when it comes to their games. You don't come here for unbiased takes. 

Anyway we lost the series. Whether it was the umps or GREAT JUSTICE BECAUSE STANFORD IS 10X THE TEAM OUR SHITTY GUYS ARE it doesn't matter. We lost and it sucks. Now we hope for something better next year.

It was most certainly not the umps. It was most certainly not because Stanford is that much better. Hyperbole much. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

100% of the time.  Because it hit him.

I agree he was hit by the pitch and that the way it happened almost always results in the batter being sent to 1B, but ...

2 hours ago, Horndog said:

Well, not quite 100%.

... yeah, this seems to be the 1% of the time that doesn't happen. HPU lost the plot.

I just can't see the logic of the ump saying he initiated contact. He started his swing, immediately stopped and pulled back, and still got hit. We see that kind of thing all the time at every level, and almost every time the batter is sent to first without any discussion. I can't see what made this one different.