Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I've spent time in the outfield in baseball and in softball.  You are going to lose a ball.  It is terrifying and helpless when it happens but it does happen.  Can't imagine what those dudes are going through.  But if you can't see it, you can't see it.    To be called 'chokers' says more about the people labeling them that.

I was playing a tournament at St. Ed's at the end of high school and lost a ball in the clouds in right field with 2 outs and the opposing team's winning run on 3rd.  It was right around the same time of evening and I saw the ball off the bat, but then it was just gone.  I saw it again about a foot from my face.  It went off my orbital bone and as I hit the ground I heard it hit the outfield fence.  That was a shitty feeling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Check back in two years when the Pac explodes and Stanford is relegated to thr MWC

I'll actually check in daily.  But feel free to tickle the date. 

And hopefully my two favorite teams will both host Super Regionals next year, so we don't have any lighting/broadcast issues.

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There were about 15 different coin flip moments in that game and Stanford was the beneficiary of at least 12 of them. Texas got a few favorable calls in the 8th as the strike zone became the size of an apple, but other than that it was all Stanford. I still can't even believe they ruled that Flores HBP a foul ball or that the 3-2 pitch Morehouse threw in the 4th was called a ball that contributed to the 3 run inning.

The biggest miss of the game was not calling the runner out after he took his fucking helmet off on the base paths while the ball was still live.  That's not even a judgement call.  You are out, period.  Full stop.  There's no debate whatsoever, yet, those fucking dumbshits just let it go as if it were an "oopsie".

I think we still lose the game, but gotdamnit that shit pisses me off still.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Cajun said:

The biggest miss of the game was not calling the runner out after he took his fucking helmet off on the base paths while the ball was still live.  That's not even a judgement call.  You are out, period.  Full stop.  There's no debate whatsoever, yet, those fucking dumbshits just let it go as if it were an "oopsie".

I have yet to see any proof that is in the rulebook. 

Also, Porter Brown made a very poor throw off the mark or else the guy would have been out anyway. Against a team like Stanford, the margins matter. All the little stuff that we know plagued this team can't be hidden against a team like that, and unfortunately a lot of it showed up in important moments. 

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Can you find the rule stating that? That’s been discussed thoroughly already. You’re not out. It’s a dugout warning. 2nd time it’s an ejection. Try learning.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Can you find the rule stating that? That’s been discussed thoroughly already. You’re not out. It’s a dugout warning. 2nd time it’s an ejection. Try learning.

Yeah, I did just look it up and you're right.

I learned.

Wish I had seen the discussion before putting my internet foot in my mouth.  Oh well, NOM NOM NOM...

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Had we won that game, it would have been a travesty to Stanford and their fans.

I don't know about that.  To me it felt like the  first game all over again.  I think Stanford folks realized they had gotten the benefit of the calls up to that point.  This one was brutal precisely because it was starting to feel like Texas was going to close it out.  At least to me.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, we also left 5 on the two innings prior to tying the game.  Lots of chances that we didn't capitalize on.  Love the fight in this team and a shitty way to have the season end.

left 7 on base over the last 5 innings and we went only 3-11 with RISP. reality is had the top of the lineup performed earlier in the game, we could have been walking away with the win.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

There were about 15 different coin flip moments in that game and Stanford was the beneficiary of at least 12 of them. Texas got a few favorable calls in the 8th as the strike zone became the size of an apple, but other than that it was all Stanford. I still can't even believe they ruled that Flores HBP a foul ball or that the 3-2 pitch Morehouse threw in the 4th was called a ball that contributed to the 3 run inning.

In any game, it’s impossible to not be the beneficiary of some ball/strike calls.

That Morehouse pitch infuriates me. I’ll never understand why balls over the heart of the plate - maybe an inch or two low or the same high are not strikes yet we will call strikes 3-4 inches off the plate strikes. One is fair to the hitter whereas the other is not. Ultimately, that’s a baseball leadership issue. Very few high strikes called this weekend even though there were many that could have been.

You never know for certain how subsequent events play out, but that call likely led to 3 runs. It was a great pitch and is great baseball yet it was not given the call it deserved.

The Flores missed call was potentially huge. Kept Flores in a hole and took that pitcher out of his first pressure moment.

The Daly 3-2 strike again was huge. It was low and inside. Maybe not incredibly so but taken together that’s most often called a ball. That took huge pressure of Stanford pitcher number 2.

My issue with the Porter Brown call is that those opportunities to call strikes are passed on frequently. The rule needs adjusting. If the ball is not over the plate, it shouldn’t be a strike. That one was no where near the plate. Now dudes hanging over the plate that get hit in an area that is technically a strike per the rule book is a different story.

Then we got some back with Campbell and GG.

But those first 3 were potentially huge for the momentum of the game. I’ll allow for one potentially being the correct call but hell no on the other two.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, we also left 5 on the two innings prior to tying the game.  Lots of chances that we didn't capitalize on.  Love the fight in this team and a shitty way to have the season end.

Which is amazing in and of itself considering it seemed like every single one of our batters started with an 0-2 count.

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Which is amazing in and of itself considering it seemed like every single one of our batters started with an 0-2 count.

We faced 7 0-2 counts in 46 plate appearances, so this notion can go ahead and die.

Their starting pitcher threw 1 first pitch strike the entire first time through the batting order.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nah. There's no evidence to suggest starting an inconsistent Hurley for the first time in a month was a better option. If you don't throw Witt in the postseason all we would be thinking about in the back of our minds is what if his next appearance was when he turned the corner. It can happen at any moment coming off that surgery.
Even if he wasn't very effective, Witt working his way back and choosing to play for this team meant a lot emotionally to the rest of the guys. It mattered.

Personally I didn’t have a problem with it. I had a bigger issue with him being the presumed 3rd starter in the regular season.

He had his best performance versus WVU then off for two weeks due to our short lived Big 12 tourney appearance was probably quite detrimental for someone building arm strength and feel.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nah. There's no evidence to suggest starting an inconsistent Hurley for the first time in a month was a better option. If you don't throw Witt in the postseason all we would be thinking about in the back of our minds is what if his next appearance was when he turned the corner. It can happen at any moment coming off that surgery.

Even if he wasn't very effective, Witt working his way back and choosing to play for this team meant a lot emotionally to the rest of the guys. It mattered.

He put us down 3-0 in both his starts with only 3 innings pitched. That doesn't help the team emotionally.

2 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Pitching needs to get back to the Texas standard

We ranked 8th in the country in ERA.

College baseball is offensive-centric now. More advanced hitters, smaller strike zones, more data available. This isn't 2011 anymore. The "standard" will never be met again because the standard has changed. There was one team in college baseball this year with a team ERA under 3.5.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was playing a tournament at St. Ed's at the end of high school and lost a ball in the clouds in right field with 2 outs and the opposing team's winning run on 3rd.  It was right around the same time of evening and I saw the ball off the bat, but then it was just gone.  I saw it again about a foot from my face.  It went off my orbital bone and as I hit the ground I heard it hit the outfield fence.  That was a shitty feeling.

Im guessing in more ways than one. 

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have yet to see any proof that is in the rulebook. 

Also, Porter Brown made a very poor throw off the mark or else the guy would have been out anyway. Against a team like Stanford, the margins matter. All the little stuff that we know plagued this team can't be hidden against a team like that, and unfortunately a lot of it showed up in important moments. 

Yeah if that were the case, most or many walkoff homers and extra base hits would be automatic outs instead of walkoffs.

Another shitty aspect of Stanford's pony league field.

The playing field at Sunken Diamond has an unorthodox alignment, with the batter and catcher facing south. The recommended orientation of a baseball diamond is east-northeast.

Look at these shitty lights...geezus. Fucking embarrassing bush league shit.

Also, they need a new groundskeeper- the playing surface looked absolutely terrible.

spacer.png

College baseball is offensive-centric now. More advanced hitters, smaller strike zones, more data available. This isn't 2011 anymore. The "standard" will never be met again because the standard has changed. There was one team in college baseball this year with a team ERA under 3.5.

Just to add a little more here.

Only 7 teams are under 4. Oral Roberts is #7. There’s a decent chance they’re above 4 after the CWS.

Of those 7, four are in the CWS. One small school (Northeastern) eliminated in the regional. One small school (ISU) eliminated in the Super. And Lamar didn’t make a regional.

So we have the best ERA of P5 teams not to be in the CWS. Kudos to LBJ and Gordon for that. Unfortunately for us, Burke, Shaw and Tole were a part of that as well.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Well why don't we do the same thing, but with gophers?  

Yeah, that is a goofy setup for such a wealthy athletic department.  All in all, one swing away from Omaha for a year where I didn't think we'd even make a regional.  And we won the Big XII hardware to boot.  But miserable way to end it all.  Congrats to these guys though.  

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Very good point.  That's one of the things Texas is going to have to adapt to.  Can't be just a pitching/defense program anymore.  They're going to have to start recruiting differently.  Look at LSU's roster.  A bunch of big dudes with a handful of "skill players" mixed in.  Even Stanford's guys were notably bigger guys (for the most part).

It's not about winning 4-1 via pitching and defense anymore.  It's about giving up 8, but scoring 10.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

JFC....3 CWS out of the last 4 years. Almost 4 out of 5. 

You should maybe look at who is committed to come in pitching wise. Or just follow Cougar high.

Weird flex considering who two of the three coaches are currently at UT.

Edited by HtownHorn

55 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

In any game, it’s impossible to not be the beneficiary of some ball/strike calls.

That Morehouse pitch infuriates me. I’ll never understand why balls over the heart of the plate - maybe an inch or two low or the same high are not strikes yet we will call strikes 3-4 inches off the plate strikes. One is fair to the hitter whereas the other is not. Ultimately, that’s a baseball leadership issue. Very few high strikes called this weekend even though there were many that could have been.

You never know for certain how subsequent events play out, but that call likely led to 3 runs. It was a great pitch and is great baseball yet it was not given the call it deserved.

The Flores missed call was potentially huge. Kept Flores in a hole and took that pitcher out of his first pressure moment.

The Daly 3-2 strike again was huge. It was low and inside. Maybe not incredibly so but taken together that’s most often called a ball. That took huge pressure of Stanford pitcher number 2.

My issue with the Porter Brown call is that those opportunities to call strikes are passed on frequently. The rule needs adjusting. If the ball is not over the plate, it shouldn’t be a strike. That one was no where near the plate. Now dudes hanging over the plate that get hit in an area that is technically a strike per the rule book is a different story.

Then we got some back with Campbell and GG.

But those first 3 were potentially huge for the momentum of the game. I’ll allow for one potentially being the correct call but hell no on the other two.

You actually believe all of this and spent time typing it out. Lol. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Would lights help if some of them are pointed skyward since their poles are shorter than normal?  No idea on such optics. 

yes if the standards are higher and some lights are pointed straight or up some it helps.  that is the point of having an actual major college stadium, you would think.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

What’s not believable?

Truly, what is it like to be a shitty human being?

Arguing balls and strikes is ridiculous. Typing a 6 paragraph post about each call is pathetic. 

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I stand corrected 

looking at scoring we ranked about 100 in runs per game and near 50 in total runs. If our pitching is top 8 then our offense is not doing the job?

51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

the pitching got us to game 3 of the super basically. the bats came alive.  we had them even with all the calls that went their way.  we got a few but not nearly as many as they did.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, I did just look it up and you're right.

I learned.

Wish I had seen the discussion before putting my internet foot in my mouth.  Oh well, NOM NOM NOM...

the only way I can see it being an out is if the helmet is purposely thrown or dropped and it materially affects the play.

Arguing balls and strikes is ridiculous. Typing a 6 paragraph post about each call is pathetic. 

Balls and strikes is argued all the time you holier than thou piece of shit. There’s a thread dedicated to it here.

It’s why there is some discussion amongst people about replacing the home plate ump.

Just ignore my shit. No need to pathetically respond to my pathetic post.

1 hour ago, troph said:

left 7 on base over the last 5 innings and we went only 3-11 with RISP. reality is had the top of the lineup performed earlier in the game, we could have been walking away with the win.

Also porter brown turned a leadoff infield single into an out when he decided to start rounding first on a ball that 2b got to. Who knows how that inning progresses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

I stand corrected 

looking at scoring we ranked about 100 in runs per game and near 50 in total runs. If our pitching is top 8 then our offense is not doing the job?

By our historical standards our offense was pretty good. Hit .293 as a team with 91 Homeruns.

Now granted the top teams are hitting about .320 as a team. So there is room for improvement but I don't think our offense was bad. There are 300 D1 NCAA Baseball teams so being top 50 is still among the top offenses.

11 hours ago, WBT said:

that's not how baseball works

I've seen enough Texas baseball over the last 50 years to say more times than not that is how it has worked for the Horns.  Huge play to finish and inning led to very good things the following inning.

I stand corrected 

Our offense was the weaker component. We rarely won on the backs of our offense. The offense started slow then picked it up.

It then hit a lull late but part of the is competition increased and teams playing all out to win each game.

We had a better 1-2 starters than most but in spite of what’s stated here we had a better depth of the back end than most teams too. We had late injuries that hurt too.

If y'all are talking about winning despite giving up 6+ runs one of the main factors is that our defense was meh by Texas standards this season. We really didn't blow a ton of games from the mound. We definitely blew quite a few not picking up DPs, making errors, letting singles get by us that were fieldable, having passed balls, etc. 

We need at least 8 guys that can hit and play their position and 1 whose job is to tear the cover off the ball. We had about 7.5 combined for most of the season, whether it was youth, playing guys out of position, or guys just not producing from the plate. 

This was undoubtedly a fun and frustrating baseball season.  In retrospect, I think it was inevitable that this team would end the season on some kind of weird ass play.  I was just sure that the play would occur in Omaha.  I had to turn off the blathering idiots on tv last night and listen to the Craig Way broadcast.  I also had to quit reading this board.  Where the fuck do all the blathering idiot posters come from during the postseason?  Next year, please stay there.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This was undoubtedly a fun and frustrating baseball season.  In retrospect, I think it was inevitable that this team would end the season on some kind of weird ass play.  I was just sure that the play would occur in Omaha.  I had to turn off the blathering idiots on tv last night and listen to the Craig Way broadcast.  I also had to quit reading this board.  Where the fuck do all the blathering idiot posters come from during the postseason?  Next year, please stay there.

They were also around when we started at #1 at the beginning of the season last year. It is the price of success.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Balls and strikes is argued all the time you holier than thou piece of shit. There’s a thread dedicated to it here.

It’s why there is some discussion amongst people about replacing the home plate ump.

Just ignore my shit. No need to pathetically respond to my pathetic post.

By losers. I see it all the time in my son’s travel team and it is pervasive, so you’re not alone. He’s a pitcher and unhittable. His issue had been walks. And I can’t stand my friends around me trying to get in my ear or yelling at blue. And I will respond to your pathetic post because it’s pervasive on this Board too, regardless of sport. It’s absolutely laughably sad.