NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

35 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN

Last year:

• Marcus Smart - 11.5 points on 0.511 eFG% and 0.746 FT%, 2.3 TOV, 12.1 PER, 0.092 WS/48, 0.5 VORP - Not on All-Defense team
  • Derrick White - 12.4 points on 0.560 eFG%, 0.875 FT%, 1.2 TOV, 15.4 PER, 0.154 WS/48, 2.6 VORP - 2nd Team All-Defense

And this year in the playoffs:

• Marcus Smart - 14.9 points on 0.552 eFG% and 0.800 FT%, 2.3 TOV, 15.4 PER, 0.112 WS/48, 0.5 VORP 
  • Derrick White - 13.4 points on 0.641 eFG%, 0.912 FT%, 0.9 TOV, 16.2 PER, 0.151 WS/48, 0.8 VORP 

Derrick White is better in just about every category.  He is a much more efficient player - and getting rid of Smart will force Tatum and Brown to stop up and lead the team.  

I wish I had Smart's stats in the last 10 minutes of a game.  He invariably tries to take over and he isn't that guy.   

1000%, have both on fantasy dynasty team and the Celtics lead by White vs Smart were a better offense.

And the fucking Wizards couldn't even get this year's #19 from them for taking that horrible contract? A protected pick 7 years from now for taking on one of the worst contracts in the league from a team that was otherwise completely fucked on the second apron? Holy shit the new guys in Washington are inept.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It wouldn't shock me to see CP3 get traded again after this. I don't get how he fits at all in Oakland. I can't imagine this was anything but a straight up salary dump for the Warriors. I think they have to wait for some bogus NBA deadline in July to make this trade go through, but after that I could see him getting moved again.

And the fucking Wizards couldn't even get this year's #19 from them for taking that horrible contract? A protected pick 7 years from now for taking on one of the worst contracts in the league from a team that was otherwise completely fucked on the second apron? Holy shit the new guys in Washington are inept.
Wizards gonna Wizard.

Can't remember where I heard it from. But someone once said, even on terrible basketball teams, someone has to score. That someone is now Poole.

I guess the Ws would rather have a guy who doesn't play, rather than a guy who doesn't play defense.

50 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It wouldn't shock me to see CP3 get traded again after this. I don't get how he fits at all in Oakland. I can't imagine this was anything but a straight up salary dump for the Warriors. I think they have to wait for some bogus NBA deadline in July to make this trade go through, but after that I could see him getting moved again.

If that was the case I'd imagine they could get something better than one of the worst contracts out there.     Then again we are getting closer to the point where his contract is not quite that bad considering this is the last guaranteed yr.   Still I'd think they could get something better for Poole.   Even coming off that shitty postseason.

57 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Wizards gonna Wizard.

Can't remember where I heard it from. But someone once said, even on terrible basketball teams, someone has to score. That someone is now Poole.

I guess the Ws would rather have a guy who doesn't play, rather than a guy who doesn't play defense.

My crew and I have a saying for it.   "The numbers are there.   Someone has to get them"   Going to be something like when Jerry Stackhouse avg'd 30 for a 20 win Pistons team

• Like 1

So with Poole gone, does this make Draymond more likely to stay or no?  I can't see Chris Paul bringing a lot to the table for the Warriors, but that big expiring deal is probably better for the team than Poole's ginormous contract. 

Draymond is staying. More than likely, 3 years and between 75-90m
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I am scratching my head at this for the Ws. I mean I get that they wanted to get off Pool,  but CP doesn’t really seem to fit in their offensive identity at all. 

I think they REALLY wanted to get rid of Poole.  That experiment did not age well.  Went from signing him to a huge deal to trading him in less than one year.

West will be wide open next year.  There were only three games separating 4-10 last year and every team in the West will be as good or better than last year.  We’re not even through FA season yet, either.

Depending on The Nephew’s injury status, I could see the Clippers falling out.  He hurt his leg in the playoffs and that’s the same leg that cost him a season.  Typically, no one knows how he’s doing right now so who knows.

If Chet and Zion are healthy, those teams will be a lot better.  Who knows with either, though.

Probably a bit early for the 24 NBA draft thread, so I'll just drop this here:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37905297/2024-nba-mock-draft-top-prospects-next-year

Who'll be the No. 1 pick in 2024?

There's a new player atop our mock draft after the spring's high school all-star game circuit: Ron Holland. The 17-year-old wing decommitted from Texas in April and signed with G League Ignite, giving Ignite the projected top two picks in our 2024 mock draft along with Matas Buzelis -- which would represent a historic night if that even comes close to materializing.

Holland was easily the best player on either team all week long at the Nike Hoop Summit practices and scrimmages in April, impacting the game on both ends of the floor after doing exactly the same thing a few weeks earlier during McDonald's All American week.

Holland isn't blessed with outrageous physical tools, but he has elite basketball instincts, feel as a passer and competitiveness, which gives him a very high floor and plenty of room to grow considering he's the youngest player currently projected to be drafted. He plays with nonstop energy, brings incredible activity defensively, covers ground exceptionally for steals, rebounds and blocks, and looks adept at guarding any position, even if his 6-foot-7, 192-pound frame and 6-10 wingspan are suited to being more of a wing than a combo forward.

Offensively, Holland pushes the ball in the open floor incessantly, overpowers weaker defenders in the lane, seeks out contact on every drive, and has generally improved his scoring and shot-creation ability to the point that he's no longer just a complementary option in the half-court. The best part of his game, besides his toughness and defensive tenacity, is his passing, as he's extremely unselfish and shows excellent vision dishing on the move.

The main concern revolves around his jumper, which does not sport great mechanics and has never been a consistent part of his game. To his credit, Holland doesn't run away from open looks, makes a few more catch-and-shoot 3s than you might expect in practice settings, and knocked down 76% of his free throw attempts last season. It gives Holland something to build on going into next season, when he's surely going to get plenty of practice reps and as many in-game 3-point attempts as he desires in the G League.

From a scoring or upside standpoint, Holland doesn't exactly fit the profile of what you typically expect to see from the No. 1 pick, making him somewhat of a placeholder atop this group, but the way he impacts winning at the highest level makes him a safe bet to emerge as a highly coveted prospect. 

full mock draft

FIRST ROUND

1. Washington Wizards

Ron Holland | G League Ignite | SF/PF | Age: 17.9

2. Detroit Pistons

Matas Buzelis | G League Ignite | SF | Age: 18.6

3. Charlotte Hornets

Zaccharie Risacher | JL Bourg | SF | Age: 18.2

4. Indiana Pacers

Isaiah Collier | USC | PG | Age: 18.7

5. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Houston)

Justin Edwards | Kentucky | SG/SF | Age: 19.5

6. Utah Jazz

Cody Williams | Colorado | SF | Age: 18.5

7. San Antonio Spurs

D.J. Wagner | Kentucky | PG/SG | Age: 18.1

8. Orlando Magic

Donovan Clingan | UConn | C | Age: 19.3

9. Houston Rockets (via Brooklyn)

Stephon Castle | UConn | PG/SG | Age: 18.6

10. Chicago Bulls

Kyle Filipowski | Duke | PF/C | Age: 19.6

11. Portland Trail Blazers

Kel'el Ware | Indiana | C | Age: 19.1

12. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto)

Tyrese Proctor | Duke | PG | Age: 19.2

13. Atlanta Hawks

Ja'Kobe Walter | Baylor | SG | Age: 18.7

14. Minnesota Timberwolves

Kylan Boswell | Arizona | PG | Age: 18.1

15. Oklahoma City Thunder

Kwame Evans | Oregon | PF | Age: 18.8

16. New York Knicks

AJ Johnson | Illawarra Hawks | SG | Age: 18.5

17. Atlanta Hawks (via Sacramento)

Bronny James | USC | PG/SG | Age 18.7

18. New Orleans Pelicans

Izan Almansa | G League Ignite | PF/C | Age: 17.9

19. New York Knicks (via Dallas)

Alex Sarr | Perth Wildcats | PF/C | Age: 18.1

20. Cleveland Cavaliers

Terrance Arceneaux | Houston | SG/SF | Age: 19.6

21. Memphis Grizzlies

Ryan Dunn | Virginia | SF | Age: 20.4

22. Indiana Pacers (via LA Clippers)

Dillon Mitchell | Texas | SF/PF | Age: 19.7

23. Miami Heat

Ugonna Onyenso | Kentucky | C | Age: 18.7

24. Boston Celtics (via Golden State)

Freddie Dilione | Tennessee | PG | Age: 19.1

25. Los Angeles Lakers

Bobi Klintman | Cairns Taipans | SF/PF | Age: 20.2

26. Philadelphia 76ers

Omaha Biliew | Iowa St. | PF | Age: 18.8

27. Milwaukee Bucks

Mark Mitchell | Duke | SF/PF | Age: 19.8

28. Phoenix Suns

Juan Nunez | Ratiopharm Ulm | PG | Age: 19.0

29. Boston Celtics

Adem Bona | UCLA | C | Age: 20.2

30. Denver Nuggets

Reece Beekman | Virginia | PG | Age: 21.7

SECOND ROUND

31. Detroit Pistons (via Washington)

Mackenzie Mgbako | Indiana | SF/PF | Age: 18.5

32. New York Knicks (via Detroit)

Aaron Bradshaw | Kentucky | C | Age: 19.1

33. Portland Trail Blazers

Xavier Booker | Michigan St. | PF/C | Age: 18.7

34. Indiana Pacers

Riley Kugel | Florida | SG | Age: 19.5

35. Houston Rockets

J.J Starling | Syracuse | SG | Age: 19.2

36. Utah Jazz

Robert Dillingham | Kentucky | PG | Age: 18.4

37. San Antonio Spurs

Tristan da Silva | Colorado | SF/PF | Age: 22.1

38. Orlando Magic

Baba Miller | Florida St. | PF | Age: 19.3

39. Houston Rockets (via Brooklyn)

Zach Edey | Purdue | C | Age: 21.1

40. New Orleans Pelicans (via Chicago)

Babacar Sane | G League Ignite | SF/PF | Age: 19.7

41. Milwaukee Bucks (via Portland)

Tyler Smith | G League Ignite | SF/PF | Age: 18.6

42. LA Clippers (via Toronto)

Judah Mintz | Syracuse | PG | Age: 19.9

43. Portland Trail Blazers (via Atlanta)

Baylor Scheierman | Creighton | SG/SF | Age: 22.7

44. Denver Nuggets (via Minnesota)

Nikola Durisic | Mega MIS | SG/SF | Age: 19.3

45. Houston Rockets (via Oklahoma City)

Ajay Mitchell | UC Santa Barbara | PG | Age: 20.9

46. Philadelphia 76ers (via New York)

Trey Alexander | Creighton | PG/SG | Age: 20.1

47. Sacramento Kings

Ryan Kalkbrenner | Creighton | C | Age: 21.4

48. New Orleans Pelicans

Milos Uzan | Oklahoma | PG | Age: 20.4

49. Sacramento Kings (via Dallas)

Mantas Rubstavicius | NZ Breakers | SG/SF | Age: 21.1

50. Cleveland Cavaliers

Nae'Qwan Tomlin | Kansas St. | PF/C | Age: 22.5

51. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Memphis

Trevon Brazile | Arkansas | PF | Age: 20.4

52. Los Angeles Lakers (via LA Clippers)

Miles Kelly | Georgia Tech | SG | Age: 20.4

53. Atlanta Hawks (via Miami)

Tyler Kolek | Marquette | PG | Age: 22.2

54. Houston Rockets (via Golden State)

DaRon Holmes | Dayton | C | Age: 20.8

55. San Antonio Spurs (via LA Lakers)

Alex Karaban | UConn | PF | Age: 20.6

56. Indiana Pacers (via Milwaukee)

Ousmane Ndiaye | Baskonia | PF/C | Age: 19.2

57. Washington Wizards (via Phoenix)

Matthew Murrell | Ole Miss | SG | Age: 21.5

58. Charlotte Hornets (via Boston)

Zhuric Phelps | SMU | SG | Age: 21.1

59. Orlando Magic (via Denver)

Dillon Jones | Weber St. | SF/PF | Age: 21.6

Note: The Philadelphia 76ers forfeited a 2024 second-round draft pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What is Utah attempting to do exactly?

You see this as a bad move?    Even if it was for no other reason than to trade him again its a huge win.   Beyond that Collins is a really good player that is locked up for a few yrs.  UTA is not going to be a FA destination.   Getting a player like Collins for nothing is great move.