NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's looking like Mobley is about to carry the Cavs to their first Summer League championship tonight!  This bodes well for the team, as it shows just how good their G League team could be this year. 

I hope he yells into the mic after the game, with tears streaming down his face, "CLEVELAND!  THIS IS FOR YOU!"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

There’s no good reason, ever, that either of you should be using the r word. It’s beyond offensive to see here or anywhere else.

anyone who truly believes that there is never a place to use the words retard/retarded doesn't belong on shaggy/surly, where we actively celebrate all of these shows/characters/scenes. if it really offends you that much to hear it in this type of setting then this is not the place for you. i'm doing my best to be 100% honest and non combative here. this is not the place for people who are that easily offended. this place is the opposite of that. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kermit said:

This is such a really weird hill to die on. Good luck, I guess.

it's really not though. if someone is highly offended by those clips of the offfce, billy madison, and norm macdonald then that person should not be here. and they certainly shouldn't be here trying to police what other people can and can't say. it's maybe the least weird hill to die on that i can think of in this context. 

Derka, this discussion about this particular word was had many years on this very board by better posters than you. My memory is a little hazy, but it’s my recollection that we all decided to eschew that word and try to become more creative with our insults, especially for those of us here who have special needs children and have to deal with bullies on a regular basis. If you’re that dead set on bringing the word back to prominence, start a thread and advocate for it there. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Derka, this discussion about this particular word was had many years on this very board by better posters than you. My memory is a little hazy, but it’s my recollection that we all decided to eschew that word and try to become more creative with our insults, especially for those of us here who have special needs children and have to deal with bullies on a regular basis. If you’re that dead set on bringing the word back to prominence, start a thread and advocate for it there. 

you're so caught up in being personally offended that you can't even see what we're talking about here. i am not "trying to bring the word 'retard' back to prominence", and in fact i'm not the one who originally used it in the first place. this isn't about the word retard, it's about the very principles that this site and its predecessor were founded on. you need to understand that before trying to argue this point any more.

this is not the place to admonish people for using a word you don't like, *especially* when it's not being used in a hurtful context towards someone. in fact it's exactly the opposite of that- this is the place built specifically so you CAN say things like that without getting banned.

so yeah, this is a hill i am willing to die on. i post here every day and you don't see me running around using the word 'retard', because frankly it's not a word i use very often in the first place.this isn't about that word, at all. this is about the fact that neither you nor anyone else is going to come *here*, to shaggy/surly, and tell other people what they can and can't say based on *you* being offended by it. no way jose. i don't think so. 

Hey man, I’m not reading all that shit. I’m also not offended. I just know where this goes with you and for all of us who have to put up with your meandering posts and infantile responses, we’d rather you have your therapy session off the NBA board. That’s all. But good luck quoting decades old media and millennial sensibilities in your arguments. I’m sure that will go swell. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

"oh, i know someone who is mentally disabled so someone calling something 'retarded' is just super offensive to me, but i don't know derka, so telling him to OD and die is cool." 👌🏼 fuck outta here with this selective moral outrage.

seriously. every single one of you has seen people say ruthless shit to me about my mental health; you've seen people tell me to OD and die; you've seen people crush me for being obese, even though it's widely known that i only became obese due to taking medication for my very very serious chronic illness, and none of you has ever said a single word about it. ever. you've had a million chances to "stand up for what's right", and you either said nothing, or outright participated in it.

oh, but you have a kid or a neighbor or a loved one who is mentally handicapped, so now all of a sudden we need to police what is said on this board because it might hurt someone's feelings. are you serious? and i'm the asshole here? wow. you guys are completely delusional, and this is nothing more than a bullshit case of selective outrage. you guys aren't standing up for what's right, you're simply feeling the hurt of when the language/posting here hits home, and now you suddenly want to police it. give me a break.

6 minutes ago, Kermit said:

all of us who have to put up with your meandering posts and infantile responses,

HA. that's rich. i'm the one trying to have an adult discussion while you continue to repeatedly insult me. you are the one who is responding like an infant, and you refuse to stay in topic. every accusation is a confession. delude yourself all you want, but you're the one in here who is behaving the very way you're accusing me of behaving, not the other way around.

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I’m also not offended.

you absolutely are. it's the driving factor behind all of your posts, you've said so yourself. you have a mentally handicapped kid, so you don't believe the word retard should be said here. that's the definition of you being offended. you've even invented some phantom meeting that was supposedly had where everyone here decided to cater to your specific wishes. must have been my day off.

it's really simple guy: either you aren't allowed to make jabs about me being in therapy (again, that's you attacking me, not the other way around) when you know i have serious mental health issues, or i'm allowed to say the word retard. which is it? 

12 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Hey man, do you have a time frame of when you’ll be done with your verbal diarrhea so I can come back and read about basketball?

you: "hey derka, im not going to read anything you say, i refuse to have an adult discussion with you, and instead i'm just going repeatedly insult you over and over and over."

also you: "man derka, you're so juvenile and combative."

🙄 give me a break. 

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's really simple guy: either you aren't allowed to make jabs about me being in therapy (again, that's you attacking me, not the other way around) when you know i have serious mental health issues, or i'm allowed to say the word retard. which is it? 

Christian Bale Idk GIF

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

I rarely go there but i understand it offends some people and simply don't care. They can be offended and neg me and that is their choice. Good for them for trying to he "better", i suppose, but in some situations it's just the only thing that fits. Like the thread for Bert Bielema.

Also sorry for diverting again. I'm not gonna make it a thing i promise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Hey man, do you have a time frame of when you’ll be done with your verbal diarrhea so I can come back and read about basketball?

Maybe we just need a Derka thread?  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

.cc9641bd1cc7469f608834b71e5a16ba.jpg

Hard to answer.  I doubt any team would win more than 55% of their game.  Are we talking all teams are at full strength, willing to play together, etc?  Hard to see AI and Stockton necessarily getting along.  I'd probably lean team 3, though they'd struggle guarding team 2 and 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

NBA win total over/unders are out:

DEN: 54.5
BOS: 53.5
MIL: 52.5
PHO: 51.5
CLE: 49.5
GSW: 49.5
LAL: 48.5
MEM: 45.5
DAL: 45.5
NOP: 43.5
SAC: 43.5
NYK: 43.5
MIN: 43.5
OKC: 43.5
ATL: 42.5
CHI: 37.5
TOR: 36.5
ORL: 35.5
IND: 35.5
UTA: 35.5
CHA: 31.5
HOU: 31.5
SAS: 30.5
DET: 27.5
WAS: 24.5
Looks like Miami and Portland are off the board. Clippers, Nets and 76ers too. 

At first blush, I love Charlotte over 31.5. They won 27 last year with Lamelo only playing 36 games while actively tanking. They get Bridges back in a contract year and added Brandon Miller. Mark Williams improved a ton over the course of his rookie year, so he should be better in year 2. I'm assuming they get PJ Williams and Kelly Oubre back or get something of equivalent value in a sign and trade. Unless I'm mistaken, they didn't lose any significant pieces (Dennis Smith, Jr was actually good on d for them but still...). I don't see how they aren't five games better unless the injury bug bites them hard.

Indiana also seems low to me. They won 35 last year with Halliburton missing 26 games and they should be improved too, adding Bruce Brown, Obi Toppen, and Jerace Walker, plus expected second year bumps from Mathurin and Nembhard. 

Not much faith in Sacramento apparently, going from 48 wins to projected 43.5. Milwaukee too, going from 58 wins to 52.5. 

I'd be tempted to bet the under on a few of the top western conference teams. The only outright tanking team will likely be Portland and a lot of the favorites (LAL, GSW, PHO, LAC) are old and injury prone.

Beyond that... it's pretty amazing to me how balanced the league is right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Maybe we just need a Derka thread?  

Hard to answer.  I doubt any team would win more than 55% of their game.  Are we talking all teams are at full strength, willing to play together, etc?  Hard to see AI and Stockton necessarily getting along.  I'd probably lean team 3, though they'd struggle guarding team 2 and 4.

Team 1 has the best defenders.  Team 3 has killers but Magic at his best is running and Jordan wants the ball in his hands. Their strengths aren’t complementary and only MJ is a plus defender. Team 2 seems to be team of ill fitting parts, but Duncan/Stockton pick n roll would be fun. Three guys are ball dominant. Team 4 might be the second best team although outside of Akeem are not good on defense. 

I’ll go with team 1. Best defenders and killers at the end of games in Kobe and Durant with always the option to dump it in to Kareem. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Team 1 has the best defenders.  

Team 3 has killers but Magic at his best is running and Jordan wants the ball in his hands. Their strengths aren’t complementary and only MJ is a plus defender.

Team 2 seems to be team of ill fitting parts, but Duncan/Stockton pick n roll would be fun. Three guys are ball dominant.

Team 4 might be the second best team although outside of Akeem are not good on defense. 

I’ll go with team 1. Best defenders and killers at the end of games in Kobe and Durant with always the option to dump it in to Kareem. 

Nah.

Barcelona never happened? Giannis is definitely a plus defender.

Meh. 

Wha? Team 4 has two guys barely on the level of every other player in the discussion.

Team 3

Team 1/Team 2

Team 4

The bottom line is almost always the team with Mike is going to win.

EDIT

The only downside of team 3 is the guys around Joker aren't really the ideal fits to benefit from his passing and orchestrating the offense. Swap him and Cap and both teams are better.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nah.
Barcelona never happened? Giannis is definitely a plus defender.
Meh. 
Wha? Team 4 has two guys barely on the level of every other player in the discussion.
Team 3

Team 1/Team 2

Team 4

The bottom line is almost always the team with Mike is going to win.

EDIT
The only downside of team 3 is the guys around Joker aren't really the ideal fits to benefit from his passing and orchestrating the offense. Swap him and Cap and both teams are better.

Whaaaa?

Bird and Steph are going to kill you outside. Which will open the middle for Wade. Then you got PnR for Malone with all 3 of those of those guys. And Hakeem will just do Hakeem things.

Malone, Wade and Olajuwon are pretty good defenders too.

Hard to bet against MJ, but Team 4 could pull it off.
  • Like 2

Team 3 is the best probably simply due to fit. 1 and 4 are also stacked. 2's back court is way too weak to hang with those other squads.

1 has some killers on D but you worry about Kobe getting KD the ball enough. 4 has some huge upside on O but they're lacking size. 

• Like 1

I don't rate Wade or Malone (or AI for that matter) with these other dudes. But even if we say MJ would have trouble guarding DWade (he wouldn't) the reverse is doubly true.  And if Magic is guarding Steph, who is Steph going to guard? That's easy money for Magic. Replace Wade with Pippen and Malone with Barkley and team 4 could match team 3.

I rate Wade highly but he isn't a threat from 3 and he and Curry are undersized as a guard duo against team 1 and 3. Wade plays a bit bigger than his size on D but unlike CP Curry doesn't (I mean Paul is just a straight up better defender).

I like that team's front court a lot - especially paired with Curry's shooting.  None of those guys are selfish players that need the ball in their hands and they are fairly dynamic on D. Malone was ~28/12 in his prime on great efficiency. 

Way too much discounting of team 2 going on here.  A front court of Shaq, Duncan, and Lebron?  That's filthy.  All this discussion of which little guys are guarding other little guys is moot.  Lebron will lock down any of their best back court or wing players.  Duncan and Shaq protect the rim.  There is a reason those 2 won 9 titles between them.  But MJ will just take this personally...

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Plorant said:

Way too much discounting of team 2 going on here.  A front court of Shaq, Duncan, and Lebron?  That's filthy.  All this discussion of which little guys are guarding other little guys is moot.  Lebron will lock down any of their best back court or wing players.  Duncan and Shaq protect the rim.  There is a reason those 2 won 9 titles between them.  But MJ will just take this personally...

They'd be awesome but they're clearly the worst team. I'm packing the paint, hiding my worst defender on Stockton and letting AI and LeBron shoot as much as they want. You could basically put 2 guys on Shaq on every possession. Then on the other side I'm attacking Iverson and Stockton every single time and getting whatever I want. Those guys don't have a chance in hell at slowing CP, Kobe and KD down let alone that team 3 lineup. 

The other teams are just way too dynamic. The Kareem, KG, KD, Kobe defensive length is disgusting. Curry and Bird on the same team with Malone and Hakeem crashing the glass and Wade floating around is a nightmare. 

2 might match up the best with team 3, though. I still think Magic and MJ is way too much compared to AI and Stockton. Those are my two greatest guards of all time against like the 5th or 6th best SG and PG ever both of whom are tiny. 

• Like 1

You might be right. Let's do position by position:

cc9641bd1cc7469f608834b71e5a16ba.jpg

PG: 3, 4, 1, 2

SG: 3, 1, ... , 4/2

SF: 2, 4, 3, 1 [very narrow spread here]

PF: 2, ... , 3, 1/4

C : 1, 4/3, 2

Team 1: (3+2+4+3+1) = 13

Team 2: (4+3+1+1+3) = 12

Team 3: (1+1+3+2+2) = 9

Team 4: (2+3+2+3+2) =  12

Heat I know I'm going to catch: Joker == Hakeem, Giannis > Malone/KG, KD as worst SF. No matter what team 3 is the clear best.

• Like 1

I was imagining them all actually playing basketball against each other. But I now see that I've been had by the airtight 1 + 3 = 4 and Chris Paul doesn't have any rings arguments. 

Team 2's skillsets are superfluous and their backcourt is garbage compared to the other squads. I'm not sure what Duncan's 15 all-defensive selections and LeBron's ability to elevate a bunch of bums over his career has to do with Allen Iverson and John Stockton trying to guard Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant in a pick up game (let alone Magic and Michael).