Texas Longhorns - 2024 Schedule with a few SEC dates

Pancho

I guess we should have expected this. ESPN never asked aggy-LSU or Texas to move their games to Thanksgiving. They’re perfectly happy using their JV production team to broadcast the Egg Bowl and take the L against the NFL. 

I’d be cool with a Black Friday night game, but something in the algorithm scared them off. I assume most people shop and then go out to eat on Black Friday. That would kill their primetime window. 

I don’t love it, but aggy-Texas on Saturday primetime with an Iron Bowl lead in makes a lot of sense for the almighty ratings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTexasFight said:

And not just “2 straight road games”… Fayettenam and College Station.

eesh

Arkansas is truly bad. They’d need a coaching change and to kill it in the portal to make it an interesting game. Especially in mid-November. Yes they hate us, but their season should be underwater when Texas comes to town. 

2 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Because we have families and want to be able to spend thanksgiving and go to the game?

If you care about your family enough to want to spend Thanksgiving to them, why would you punish those same loved ones by going to College Station with them?  I don’t think this is a forever SEC fixture.  I thinks it’s 24/25 home and home and takes a multi-year break after that with movement all around the Autumn.  I’m fine with it; I just don’t like ending season with two road games.  Pretty crazy we may not leave Texas more than once until early November.  

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If you care about your family enough to want to spend Thanksgiving to them, why would you punish those same loved ones by going to College Station with them?  I don’t think this is a forever SEC fixture.  I thinks it’s 24/25 home and home and takes a multi-year break after that with movement all around the Autumn.  I’m fine with it; I just don’t like ending season with two road games.  Pretty crazy we may not leave Texas more than once until early November.  

We’re in the SEC now we only have to have four true road games like aggy!

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

I don't think we are going undefeated next year. We've got three probably top ten teams, one on the road in the Big House, one in Dallas, one in Austin. That must be the hardest schedule in football.

Nah Florida has us beat by a mile. 2-10 is legit in play for them.

• Drool 1

58 minutes ago, immamac said:

how do some of you not like the game being on thanksgiving? 

I’ve been to the game at both stadiums on both days (T-day or T+1), but I prefer T+1. For me, that’s what I grew up with from ‘94 to ‘07 before it was moved to T-day ‘08-‘11.

That said, I don’t really mind the thanksgiving day game as much when it’s every other year as compared to the home game rotation we had with Tech, TCU, etc for a few years.

Edited by LonghornSean

19 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I don't think we are going undefeated next year. We've got three probably top ten teams, one on the road in the Big House, one in Dallas, one in Austin. That must be the hardest schedule in football.

Calling it now, we are beating Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Well, then I guess there's one thing left to do [this year].

preview.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, immamac said:

how do some of you not like the game being on thanksgiving? 

I think Friday night is best.  makes decisions on travel/holiday much easier and get to watch all the chaos(except for this year's chalk) on Saturday.  Also, bonus if you are a Cowboy fan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

OU on Oct 5 would be the 2nd earliest matchup against them in the series history. (Behind only the 2010 game which was played on Oct 2).

it’s also going to be balls hot. Especially if it’s at 2:30 (#team11:30)

OU is gonna be Oct 12, so yes, we get them and UGA back-to-back😬.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think Friday night is best.  makes decisions on travel/holiday much easier and get to watch all the chaos(except for this year's chalk) on Saturday.  Also, bonus if you are a Cowboy fan.

As a Cowboys fan I loved watching the game at the tailgate, and then heading in to Memorial Stadium to watch Texas beat the ags.  

T+1 has no meaningful basis in history, so if the game's not on Thanksgiving, I'm indifferent to whether it's on Friday or Saturday.

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

As a Cowboys fan I loved watching the game at the tailgate, and then heading in to Memorial Stadium to watch Texas beat the ags.  

T+1 has no meaningful basis in history, so if the game's not on Thanksgiving, I'm indifferent to whether it's on Friday or Saturday.

the history on thanksgiving is gone. If you travel(driving distance) for Thanksgiving, you can do Thanksgiving and come back Friday for the game.  Friday night is somewhat nice due to only a few games on.  It will probably be Saturday for ratings though.

30 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Agreed. Really liked the time slot for the Tech game this year. Don’t have to compete with any other college or NFL games. Easier to work around family gatherings, too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Well, other than the last quarter century +.

🙄

Some notes on our schedule next year even though nobody asked: 

At Michigan- Currently on a 28 game (29 after week 1 '24) regular season win streak and have won 35 of 36 in the regular season. 

VS Georgia- They have a 39 game regular season win streak that could balloon up to 45 or so depending on outcome against Bama and their BYE week situation. If they 3 peat and come into Austin undefeated their overall win streak will be either 39 or 40. 

VS Florida- First meeting since 1940 and looking to remain undefeated vs the Gators all time (2-0-1). Florida has not scored a point against Texas since 1924, let's keep that streak alive.

VS Kentucky- First meeting since our only matchup in a 1951 win vs the Wildcats. Bear Bryant was the head coach at Kentucky and suffered the first of his 7 losses to Texas. 

VS Miss St- First meeting since the '99 Cotton Bowl. Looking to break a 2-2 tie all time. 

At Vandy- First meeting since 1928. Vandy holds a 8-3-1 advantage and is one of two in the SEC with a winning record vs Texas (South Carolina has a 1-0 advantage).

VS OU- Will have a full bag of dicks or two in tow to our first matchup in the SEC. 

At a&m- On game day 2024 they will have not beaten Texas in 5,119 days. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We have been playing games on T+1 for more than a quarter century, so there IS history to playing on that day.  That much is not an arguable point.

We're not talking about ANY game, we're talking about the A&M game.

In the 100+ years of the rivalry, there's only a handful of times in the late 90s and early 2000s that the game was played on T+1, and even that hasn't happened since 2007.  

So no, there's no meaningful history to playing this rivalry game on T+1.  The entire point of the discussion about Thanksgiving day itself, is because there IS a long and meaningful history of playing the ags on THAT day.

Thanksgiving day is important to the rivalry, T+1 is not.

That we've played a bunch of rando substitute games on T+1 over the past 12 years isn't relevant to the discussion about the A&M game and its history.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In the 100+ years of the rivalry, there's only a handful of times in the late 90s and early 2000s that the game was played on T+1, and even that hasn't happened since 2007.  

So no, there's no meaningful history to playing this rivalry game on T+1.  The entire point of the discussion about Thanksgiving day itself, is because there IS a long and meaningful history of playing the ags on THAT day.

That we've played a bunch of rando substitute games on T+1 over the past 12 years isn't relevant to the discussion about the A&M game and its history.

Oh, ok. Yes, sir.

• Like 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Oh, ok. Yes, sir.

BUT...

...as has been stated, the NFL has decided to own Thanksgiving Day, so it seems unlikely we'd resume that tradition.

And if it's not on T-day, I'm indifferent wrt T+1 vs. T+2.  I think the SEC should let surly decide by popular vote. :)

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Playing on Thanksgiving is a pain in the ass for many reasons. I hope we stick with one of the other days. The general tradition is Thanksgiving weekend.

Of course aggy spurned tradition for a change when they ran away to the SEC. They kept the tradition of sucking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That will be a Fox or whatever major network BIG has a contract with since it is a home game for Michigan.

Fox got the Michigan and Ohio State away games moved up to next year and 2025 as part of us getting out of the Big 12 in 2024. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That change was made four years ago. It had nothing to do with our move to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

So in two consecutive years, we get to travel to Detroit and Columbus.  What demon did Steve Patterson forget to blow in hell to arrange that horrific back-to-back vacation saga?  

Ann Arbor is a beautiful campus and I like Michigan fans.  But odds are for air, hotel, etc.---most fans are gonna have to stay in/outside of Detroit.  And then Columbus right after?  Everyhthing about that place sucks as we who went in 2005 know all too well.  From the campus to the city to the people...it's all 10-ply, 3rd world shitfest.  At least the return trips to Georgia and Kentucky will be fun.  Fuck going to Mississippi State.  And I can't wait to laugh at Texas fans like, "Oh, we can take the kids to Disneyworld on Sunday after the game in Gainesville."  Yeah, good luck with that plan.  About 100 things wrong with it but I'll let you sort it out first before I start laughing.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So in two consecutive years, we get to travel to Detroit and Columbus.  What demon did Steve Patterson forget to blow in hell to arrange that horrific back-to-back vacation saga?  

Ann Arbor is a beautiful campus and I like Michigan fans.  But odds are for air, hotel, etc.---most fans are gonna have to stay in/outside of Detroit.  And then Columbus right after?  Everyhthing about that place sucks as we who went in 2005 know all too well.  From the campus to the city to the people...it's all 10-ply, 3rd world shitfest.  At least the return trips to Georgia and Kentucky will be fun.  Fuck going to Mississippi State.  And I can't wait to laugh at Texas fans like, "Oh, we can take the kids to Disneyworld on Sunday after the game in Gainesville."  Yeah, good luck with that plan.  About 100 things wrong with it but I'll let you sort it out first before I start laughing.  

It got rescheduled from Austin with SEC move a year early because fox wanted their game. 

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Wait, I thought the SEC had the same rule most conferences do...you don't start the conference season or end it with 2 straight road games.  

15 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

And not just “2 straight road games”… Fayettenam and College Station.

eesh

I'm guessing we'll have a home game on 11/23 vs. a cupcake (maybe Vandy) of some variety as is the case with almost all the SEC teams.

My best guess.

Do what you like with it.

One thing I realized, next season has 14 weeks.

Everyone will have 2 bye weeks.

Home Away
8/31/2024   Col. State   Florida Arkansas
9/7/2024   Michagan   Georgia Oklahoma
9/14/2024  UTSA   Kentucky A&M
9/21/2024  ULM   Miss State Vandy
9/28/2024  buy      
10/5/2024  Oklahoma      
10/12/2024  Miss State      
10/19/2024  Georgia      
10/26/2024  Vandy      
11/2/2024  Kentucky      
11/9/2024  buy      
11/16/2024  Arkansas      
11/23/2024  Florida      
11/30/2024   A&M      

20 minutes ago, orange dream said:

I'm guessing we'll have a home game on 11/23 vs. a cupcake (maybe Vandy) of some variety as is the case with almost all the SEC teams.

Vandy is away. The SEC home games without dates are Mississippi State, Kentucky, and Florida.