Tipping

closetohumping

On 6/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, nnm said:

A common frustrating position is not having any cash for a tip, for example for a valet driver or a airport shuttle driver. A $5 tip for each is fine, IMHO.  The problem is, I almost never have $5 with me. It’s an awkward exchange to give a 20 and ask for money back. 
As to the airport shuttle guys, almost nobody tips them. I actually end up tipping a lot more sometimes if I notice that the ungrateful schmucks in front of me haven’t tipped at all. 

I put $100 worth of 5s in my nightstand (where I keep my wallet). When I go on a work trip, I grab 4 $5s and have them on hand for these types of tips. When I grab the last batch, I get more $5s. 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, nnm said:

A common frustrating position is not having any cash for a tip, for example for a valet driver or a airport shuttle driver. A $5 tip for each is fine, IMHO.  The problem is, I almost never have $5 with me. It’s an awkward exchange to give a 20 and ask for money back. 
As to the airport shuttle guys, almost nobody tips them. I actually end up tipping a lot more sometimes if I notice that the ungrateful schmucks in front of me haven’t tipped at all. 

I put $100 worth of 5s in my nightstand (where I keep my wallet). When I go on a work trip, I grab 4 $5s and have them on hand for these types of tips. When I grab the last batch, I get more $5s. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Great idea. Thanks. 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:48 PM, nnm said:

Just go to any country in which servers are paid well and tipping is minimized (Norway, for example), and you’ll see the crappy service that results from that!

Just got back from my first overseas trip ever to London and Paris.  This is spot on.  The service was terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:29 PM, HonkeyVape said:

It strikes me that if we started paying a normal wage for waiters and waitresses, it would be a net negative for the workers, a net negative for non-tippers today, and a net positive for those who do tip 20-25+%.

• The help would almost assuredly make less money, with a fixed rate and no tips, and taxes taken out of a w2 check, and they probably will only be able to work right up to the limit of whatever full time is defined as to get away with having to be given benefits or whatever.
  • Non-tippers would be paying more as their per unit cost would be higher (because they are horrible people who don't tip) as the restaurants entire menu would necessarily be raised across the board to accommodate and soak up the upfront sunk cost by the business in having to provide a $18/hour + meager benefits. Your $10 cheeseburger is now $16 or whatever, as an example.
  • The diner who tips moderate to exceptionally will win. We expect to pay 20-25+% on our ticket and so the final bill with the adjusted prices, unless 20-25% higher than otherwise, should be lower.

But the reality is, we keep it at $2.13 because servers and bar tenders and patrons like it that way. They like making gobs of cash (in good situations, at least) that can minimized on taxes, and if made to be another rote employee that a robot could do, the incentive for good service would go away and you'd have even less people wanting to do this job than we do today. Also, just speaking for myself, but it makes us feel good to be a good tipper. I tip 100% at waffle house because that usually only amounts to like 15 or 20 bucks, and you'd think I was a hero. It makes people's day and the people working at waffle house are exactly the type who need the blessings.

I don’t think servers or tip based employees want to do away with tipping for a fixed wage.  I was a server in high school and loved walking out with instant cash in my pocket.   I also was taxed a flat 12% by the government on my sales (may have changed), and as I earned more in tips than 12% it was also a benefit.   Technically you are suppose to track and report actual amount if different….but we didn’t as high school kids.  Now that most purchases are credit cards and not cash that may be different as it is tracked more easily.

One thing that does suck however is the $2.13 hourly rate.   I waited tables in the late 80’s (I’m old), and I was paid $2.01 per hour.   So while there has been several increases to base minimum wage, almost none to servers hourly wage.   It should have grown at least equally to growth in standard minimum wages.

Having said this, I agree on having a request for tip being everywhere?  If a counter employee is making minimum wage or higher, you are being paid to do the job that you are now asking for a tip on.  If you want to give back the difference between your wage and $2.13/hour and then work for tips, great!  But they won’t and don’t.  

Tip well for employees who are tip/service based employees…especially if they do a good job.  Non-Tip based (per minimum wage guide lines) are being paid to do a good job.  They should not require additional compensation.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:33 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

do you just walk into the bank and ask for a bunch of 5s? I need to start doing that and keeping some tens around as well - I slightly overpay our babysitter and she jumps at every opportunity to watch the kiddo. But sometimes I end up way overpaying her on the basis of only having 20s.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

do you just walk into the bank and ask for a bunch of 5s? I need to start doing that and keeping some tens around as well - I slightly overpay our babysitter and she jumps at every opportunity to watch the kiddo. But sometimes I end up way overpaying her on the basis of only having 20s.

Yes,  my credit union is less than a mile from my house.  Easy to walk in and just tell them that I want to withdraw $100, and want just 5s.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2023 at 6:33 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

Interestingly enough, I found a wad of $5 bills in my ex's nightstand once. (no pics, because you probably already have them).

• Haha 3

I'm self-employed. When my kids were younger I told them I paid myself $500 a month. I would write myself a check and go to my bank drive-thru with a post-it note on it telling them how I wanted it broken out ($50s, $20s, $10s and $5s) and then take the envelope home and put in the gun safe. Anytime we go anywhere where we need tip money I just go grab a few $5s and $10s). Use the $50s and $20s at Billy's or C&A.

54 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Interestingly enough, I found a wad of $5 bills in my ex's nightstand once. (no pics, because you probably already have them).

Good one, but not me. I just started getting the 5s this year.

Funny enough, I have to give credit to my wife, she gave me the idea. 

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

I'm self-employed. When my kids were younger I told them I paid myself $500 a month. I would write myself a check and go to my bank drive-thru with a post-it note on it telling them how I wanted it broken out ($50s, $20s, $10s and $5s) and then take the envelope home and put in the gun safe. Anytime we go anywhere where we need tip money I just go grab a few $5s and $10s). Use the $50s and $20s at Billy's or C&A.

Why would you write yourself a check when withdrawals are free (assuming you dont mean your business)? Our checks are up to $25 for 80 of them now and I still have a hard time getting customers to switch over to using a withdrawal form for cash or just using our atm (has multiple denominations and you don't have to talk to anyone or fill anything out).

It's my business and it's one check a month is why, just to have cash on hand. Including that check, I probably write 5 checks a month max out of my business account. I haven't had to reorder checks in 7 or 8 years.

Edited by ftf82

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

We all know why you are overpaying her.  Post some pics if she’s legal.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

Tell us you're single and have no kids without telling us you are single and have no kids.

Edited by slorch

Had another encounter today on tipping. And I may have said this as recently as 20 posts ago. No idea.

Got a dish for lunch, and the iPad thingy STARTED at 20%. Then 23, 25, and 30. Of course the other was zero.

When you force me to choose between 0-20, I just ate at your place for the last time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 7/12/2023 at 8:14 PM, markstanco said:

Had another encounter today on tipping. And I may have said this as recently as 20 posts ago. No idea.

Got a dish for lunch, and the iPad thingy STARTED at 20%. Then 23, 25, and 30. Of course the other was zero.

When you force me to choose between 0-20, I just ate at your place for the last time.

There's usually a Custom or Other selection where you can enter your own. If no, that's an easy zero.

I'm more pissed at the ones that are 18/20/22. As if that's a meaningful choice. Fuck off, take the zero.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, cabowabo said:

Just got back from my first overseas trip ever to London and Paris.  This is spot on.  The service was terrible.

I was in London a week ago.  I though the service was fine. And I really like not having to worry about the tip. If its expected, its included. If its not included, its not expected. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:14 PM, markstanco said:

My favorite place does this.  They are a true mom & pop, one that stayed open through covid by engineering a storage shed into an outside order taking station and maintaining social distancing.  I frequented them every week at a minimum. I tipped well for carry out, because of the situation and I knew they didn't necessarily have the traffic/ turns.

Post covid, as things return to normal, they added one of those ipad-ish pay stations and the tips start at 20%...for counter service.  I tip probably 2 out of 3 times, because it pisses me off for them to make the assumption even though I love the place.  Just add the fucking price to your menu.  Even the folks who eat in-house are not being waited on- it's a BBQ joint with an excellent product; but service ain't really part of the equation. You bus your own table/ get your own drinks/ condiments/ etc.

The tipping situation for them bugs me and I can't get past it. It's my problem, not theirs.

Edited by slorch

On 7/17/2023 at 2:31 PM, Sam Lin said:

I'm more pissed at the ones that are 18/20/22. As if that's a meaningful choice. Fuck off, take the zero.

Lol.  I never thought about that.  On a $50 tab, that's $9, $10, or $11.  What a difference!

I waited tables for 10 damn years in Knoxville.  Got my wife through grad school, then returned and got my teaching degree.  *I'm always going to tip 25%+ even if the service sucks.  I tell myself that there were probably plenty of times it appeared as if I was doing a bad job, but in fact, we were short handed or something else was going on.  We grew up super poor and only got to go to a sit down restaurant when my grandparents took us, so I'm just happy to be able to take my family out to eat.

*I do try distinguish between lack of attention and rudeness - the latter being somewhat unforgiveable.  

Didn’t wait tables, but basically have the same thought on tipping servers. I think I said it in the other threads though, we only eat at places we know the servers/owners when we are at home or our place at the beach. We tip well and never have an issue with anything. If something isn’t right on the food, they take care of it before it ever gets to the table. Drinks are usually on the table right when we sit down. I tip the bartender at the place we eat lunch every Sunday the same whether it’s just the two of us or the kids show up. Tipping is just the cost of going out at this point and I don’t view it any differently than the food/drink prices.

I also tip valets well because more times than not it ends up with my vehicle being in a good location and if you are there a few days the service/time is better. All the other tipping is getting borderline B.S. though.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:01 PM, McCroskey said:

My rule of thumb on those machines is:

If nobody is there, no tip.

If someone is there doing something for me, at any level, I ask them if they personally get the tips. If they say yes, I leave a commensurate amount depending on what I’m buying or where I’m at.

Other rules of thumb:

Bartenders at my regular places get tipped more. As said previously, “how quickly do you want your next beer.” It’s nice showing up on a busy Friday night and they make your drink and hand to you and leave other people puzzled who have been standing there 5 mins or more.

Restaraunts/Bars where you hang out for a while? Tip based on the expected turn rates and average tabs for the table. So if you sit at a table for 3 hours and prevented the waitress from serving three separate groups in that time, don’t be a dick and tip her maybe 3x. Sometimes even giving a $20 upfront and telling them you’ll be hanging out a while can go a long way.

Yep.  I pay "table rental" tip on top of my bill tip.  If I'm at a bar/restaurant with family/friends for 3 hours, I'm likely going to tip $20 on top of whatever my bill is.  So if my bill was $150, I'm tipping around $70...since my time at their table prevented them from being able to turn that table at least once, and maybe twice.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

Kind of like when I go to Vegas.  I'll go to the bank and get $100 in 5's and $100 in 2's.  I'll tip the table waitress a $2 bill for every cocktail.  Tip the bellhops/cabbies/Uber drivers a $5 and $2 bill (lucky 7) every time.... and so forth.  

On 7/11/2023 at 9:58 AM, Celery Man said:

do you just walk into the bank and ask for a bunch of 5s? I need to start doing that and keeping some tens around as well - I slightly overpay our babysitter and she jumps at every opportunity to watch the kiddo. But sometimes I end up way overpaying her on the basis of her being in her only having 20s.

FIFY

• 4 months later...