Legacy admission into colleges and universities

Pancho

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What the fuck are you talking about

Harvard faces a civil rights complaint filed by Black and Latino groups who say the university's legacy admissions, which give priority to alumni kids, favor white students.

Why do they always try to align with black people?  They're gravy training the black experience in America like they went/go through the same stuff.  

• Fuck You 5

9 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Why do they always try to align with black people?  They're gravy training the black experience in America like they went/go through the same stuff.  

Well I’m a latino person so your comment just got my attention. I’d love for you to teach me more about what my family went through and what my experiences have been and what my positions are on everything. You seem like the expert. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I refused to apply to Del Mar College because I did not want to be given any preferential treatment as a legacy. I'd hate to have attended Del Mar College and have everyone think I was only there because of legacy status. That just wouldn't be fair to myself or others. 

Stach I too could have walked in to that place on legacy status - father and his brother proud alumni before transferring to Texas .  Maybe we’re related. 

Was top 25% at the private school I went to, 1260 SAT 27 ACT- got into the CAP Program and was easy decision in 07. Got into Honors Civil engineering at Tech and passed it up. Went to UTSA and had badass government and history professors that made me rethink and change to a dual major at UT when I was only guaranteed Natural Sciences or Liberal Arts. Had 31 hours and a 3.7 GPA at UTSA. Interned for State Senator Huffman and made some good connects at the Capitol initially and had a ton of connects after graduating.

University of Houston-Victoria and Victoria College were foaming at the mouth for a legacy, but I had to pave my own path y’know

• Haha 1

My parents didn't go to college.  So I had not parental legacy status anywhere.  I got the SAT score, which combined with my class rank, was enough to get me into UT.  I wouldn't have gotten in by today's top 6% (not 6.01%) standards.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Yeah.  And what the heck are Latinos mad about anyway?  What's their complaint?  Black people have the history of slavery and oppression.  Why were Latinos ever included in affirmative action?  Because their parents had to swim a slow river and walk in the desert for a little bit?  

I am drunk and I really hope my meter is broken right now 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Oh shit my meter isn’t broken. This is amazing please keep going 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Well I’m a latino person so your comment just got my attention. I’d love for you to teach me more about what my family went through and what my experiences have been and what my positions are on everything. You seem like the expert. 

Looks like an ambivalent mod deleted my post

392C7988-C00E-4DE5-A9AD-6B2AC6F7DB4D.jpeg

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The legacies are here. “I had a great SAT and great class rank in bumfuck 3A Texas in 1989, I deserved it”

Edited by Zepol87
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

That’s crazy that got deleted and his comment about all latinos getting here by crossing a river and walking through a desert got to stay.

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

The legacies are here. “I had a great SAT and great class rank in bumfuck 3A Texas in 1989, I deserved it”

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It was likely just a weird glitch. One of mine (the bottom one in the below screen capture) disappeared on me. I then posted in the Borked thread about it and tried to replicate it.

image.thumb.png.6fac8b818aadbe20b69fea377f70bb7a.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s crazy that got deleted and his comment about all latinos getting here by crossing a river and walking through a desert got to stay.

Now now.  I didn't say all Latinos.  Just the ones that can swim.  As to why one is gone, and one is not.  I think it's obvious the other dude's humor was meant to slightly inflame.  Mine was not.  I like to dress legitimate questions and contributions in faux offense.  You know, to Surly.  I can't hold your hand with every faux offense just so you know that it's not intentionally offensive. 

I think Latinos might have the least compelling story of the non-white American experiences as far as hardship goes.  Natives and Asians might have more of a claim to be more closely aligned with the black experience.  There was a lot of shady stuff around the more than 15,000 Chinese who built all the railroads.  Lots of them were essentially slaves while they worked and were treated like it.  

• Fuck You 13

1 minute ago, PRONG HORN said:

Now now.  I didn't say all Latinos.  Just the ones that can swim.  As to why one is gone, and one is not.  I think it's obvious the other dude's humor was meant to slightly inflame.  Mine was not.  I like to dress legitimate questions and contributions in faux offense.  You know, to Surly.  I can't hold your hand with every faux offense just so you know that it's not intentionally offensive. 

I think Latinos might have the least compelling story of the non-white American experiences as far as hardship goes.  Natives and Asians might have more of a claim to be more closely aligned with the black experience.  There was a lot of shady stuff around the more than 15,000 Chinese who built all the railroads.  Lots of them were essentially slaves while they worked and were treated like it.  

You sound wildly ignorant of history. A lot of Latinos are white. A lot are native. And this will shock you if you don’t watch baseball but a lot are black too. 

“Shady stuff?” Ever heard of Operation Wetback? Have you ever heard of a colonia? You know in a lot of the country latinos had to go to segregated schools and live in segregated communities too right? You want to talk about Chinese railroad workers being mistreated and exploited (and they were), how about the thousands and thousands of migrant farm workers even up to today? My dad regularly had pesticides dumped on him from a plane while he was picking fields in Cali in the 1970s. Complain about working conditions or pay? Fine I’ll just call immigration on your family. And you completely ignore who’s probably 2nd most likely to be negatively profiled by police after black people. 

All “non-white” people have had it shitty here at some point. Shit even a lot of white people have. You can argue who had it worse after natives & black people all day long. The reality is affirmative action was meant to assist people from underserved & underrepresented communities. To act like that didn’t largely describe the Hispanic community, especially back in the 1960s when a lot of these policies were made, is absurd.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

White shades, lonely, divorced t-ball dad checking in from his F250 energy right here

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You sound wildly ignorant of history. A lot of Latinos are white. A lot are native. And this will shock you if you don’t watch baseball but a lot are black too. 

“Shady stuff?” Ever heard of Operation Wetback? Have you ever heard of a colonia? You know in a lot of the country latinos had to go to segregated schools and live in segregated communities too right? You want to talk about Chinese railroad workers being mistreated and exploited (and they were), how about the thousands and thousands of migrant farm workers even up to today? My dad regularly had pesticides dumped on him from a plane while he was picking fields in Cali in the 1970s. Complain about working conditions or pay? Fine I’ll just call immigration on your family. And you completely ignore who’s probably 2nd most likely to be negatively profiled by police after black people. 

All “non-white” people have had it shitty here at some point. Shit even a lot of white people have. You can argue who had it worse after natives & black people all day long. The reality is affirmative action was meant to assist people from underserved & underrepresented communities. To act like that didn’t largely describe the Hispanic community, especially back in the 1960s when a lot of these policies were made, is absurd.

Fuck you

As a poor whitey first-gen everything who joined the Army to pay for school and ended up with degrees from three pretty good schools (Northwestern, Michigan, Harvard), I should naturally be against affirmative action *and* legacy admissions under the doctrine of "I walked uphill both ways to school. In snow! You should, too.."

However, as a dad that's an alum of those schools and whose kids are mixed, I could not be any more *for* affirmative action and legacy admissions.

Especially if there's scholarship money involved.

(In reality, I think that Texas' top 10% [is it 7% or something now?] is the best of a lot of tough ways to go about a sticky situation. On one hand, it gets kids who were truly disadvantaged in, without letting in too many Carlton Bankses in. On the other hand, so many spots get taken up there's not a ton of room to let a lot of 3x legacy Chauncey Higgins IVs in.)

Edited by choripan
Forgot the motherfuckin close parens

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Come on surly said they got  into college by being smart and trying hard. No way this is real 

1-Literally nobody said that

2-These numbers were revealed as consequence of a (successful) lawsuit accusing admissions of being unfair

3-Strictly speaking they don't prove or disprove the merit of legacy applicants.  e.g. if your parents were qualified to have been alum of the most prestigious school in america, it's likely you'd have inherited similar capabilities AND would want to attend the same school

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

I wouldn't have gotten in by today's top 6% (not 6.01%) standards.

Same. And given how much the law school has cut admissions (it was about 1,500 students my first year in 1996 and is closer to 1,000 now, I think), I’m not sure I would’ve gotten into UT Law by today’s standards.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same. And given how much the law school has cut admissions (it was about 1,500 students my first year in 1996 and is closer to 1,000 now, I think), I’m not sure I would’ve gotten into UT Law by today’s standards.

8f6.gif

• Haha 1

Hey folks. It’s 2023 not 1970. Historical context has nothing to do with todays economic or educational landscape. 

keep discussion current, the “but the past” comments are clearly the posts causing angst in the community and that shit has nothing to do with this shit or the future. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Hey now.  Lets keep the b on b shade to a minimum.  Make fun of whitey only.

You can hide behind the “I’m just asking questions/trying to be funny” act all you want. Why didn’t you spell out what “b” stands for? Don’t be a coward in addition to being a racist.

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

My parents didn't go to college.  So I had not parental legacy status anywhere.  I got the SAT score, which combined with my class rank, was enough to get me into UT.  I wouldn't have gotten in by today's top 6% (not 6.01%) standards.

This.

I passed up the legacy of poverty.

Full disclosure: There is no fucking way I'd get into Texas or probably even A&M at current standards.  Oh well.  My kids did better.  I can live with that.  Not much choice, really.

Nein. Most of my family are UT grads. I went to Bates to strike out on my own.  Neither of my kids even looked at Bates. boy 1 might do UT law after Trinity. But that’s not really legacy in the way you mean. 

Interestingly, Amherst was notoriously legacy friendly, even by NESCAC standards, but they  abolished legacy admits 2 years ago, and it’s putting pressure on all the other Baby Ivies. 

funny story, when the Williams rep talked to my sons school, he was asked about legacies and his reply was to the effect: “it can be a small boost, but it doesn’t compare to all A’s.  We don’t like to see B’s at Williams.”

what an ass

What the fuck is wrong with some of you? I just read through this thread. How do you some of you type what you do, read it, then decide yeah I’ll hit send on that it’s not racist and doesn’t make me look like a huge bigot. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, immamac said:

What the fuck is wrong with some of you? I just read through this thread. How do you some of you type what you do, read it, then decide yeah I’ll hit send on that it’s not racist and doesn’t make me look like a huge bigot. 

I was pretty drunk but fuck that dude prong horn. 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Probably legacy admissions 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, blacklab said:

What's really crazy is in the mid 80's if you were bottom 25% of your high school class you only needed a 1200 SAT to get into UT.

But what if you were like super attractive, a varsity athlete, worked four jobs (AT THE SAME TIME!) and the most popular guy in school?  Did any of that factor in?

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I imagine you've read as many prong horn posts as anyone...it's his schtick.

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

But there's aggy law school, now to fill the gap and then some. 

I don't think Legacy admissions plays that much of a role at UT.  I have family that used to work in development (i.e., fundraising) at Texas in the late 90's and early 2000's. They constantly had to deal with medium to large donors that were livid their grandkids (or kids) didn't get into UT.  Maybe at a certain donor level it made the difference and maybe it is or was a tiebreaker with similarly rated kids but I'm fairly confident there aren't a bunch of unqualified students getting in at Texas solely based on legacy status.  They definitely lost some donations because of that.  I would be surprised if that policy changed over the past 15/20 years.  Obviously private schools are probably a different story when it comes to legacies.

No legacy for me, had to blaze my own trail. I was ranked 8th in my class and was part of the automatic top 10% that got accepted (in fact I think I was the last class to be part of the 10% cut off but even at 7% I still would have made it). No one else in our top 10 even applied for UT. Valedictorian went to TVCC and then UT-Tyler. Goddammit as I type this I don't remember who our salutatorian was. It was either the chick who went to SFA for nursing or the guy who went to UNT for business. 

No CR but the only person from my high school in the last 10 years to get accepted into an Ivy League was this Asian chick who made it to Yale. UT actually rejected her. Like jimmyjazz said, admissions are weird.