Most "Texan" thing you've ever done?

Brisketexan

Deer & Beer parties in HS. Head out to somebody's field in BFE (everybody had one), start drinking and maybe if we were really lucky, nobody got shot trying to hunt deer in the dark. A couple times we came prepared with meat to cook, but usually the ultra-alphas would head out to feed the group. Didn't matter, had beer and HS girlz.

Never heard of that one. But we basically did the same with hogs. Miracle that no one got shot.

I went on an authentic trail ride once. With all the trimmings, horses, mules, wagons, and such. No electricity at all. Man, that shit sucked.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I went on an authentic trail ride once. With all the trimmings, horses, mules, wagons, and such. No electricity at all. Man, that shit sucked.

It wasn't the Red Stegall trail ride was it?

• Haha 1

It wasn't the Red Stegall trail ride was it?
Nothing that fancy. Just some of the county and church leaders thought it would be fun to show the kids how things used to be. It was sponsored by the circuit church. I think we did about 15 miles, then camped out. It could have been fun if there had been less adults there. Especially the holy rollers.

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Nothing that fancy. Just some of the county and church leaders thought it would be fun to show the kids how things used to be. It was sponsored by the circuit church. I think we did about 15 miles, then camped out. It could have been fun if there had been less adults there. Especially the holy rollers.

The Stegall ride is very holy roller Cowboy Church shit. Think it's 3 or 4 nights from Weatherford to Palo Pinto or something like that. My BIL went on it once. Apparently it's a big deal.

• Like 1

Dipped OG copenhagen in high school,  in class,  no spit cup

Swam to the buoy off the tip of south padre Island (children's beach) , at night, drunk, and back to beach in a 10 person race.  Did not win,  but did not die.

Drove parent's car  into Reynosa at 15 to go drinking - a lot. 

Two stepped at the broken spoke with a beer in hand - was corrected.  

Bought a Ranch 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, Brothahorn said:

Never heard of that one. But we basically did the same with hogs. Miracle that no one got shot.

I went on a hog hunt in high school on a buddies property way out in bfe were they used dogs and someone jumped in and slit the hogs throat, I’m like a junior.  Riding four wheelers following drinking and just following along until they crossed a couple fences and just followed the sound of the dogs on foot.  We’ll get to the hogs Jim Bob or whoever slits the hogs throat everyone scatters back to our buddies property.  Well me and a guy who had just finished his first year in the a&m Corp we’re hanging back drinking beer everyone’s out of site and he starts walking one way at some point and I’m like no it’s this way I’m pretty sure, now he had been out there a lot more then me.  So I’m like ok, we cross the navidad river three times atleast even though we never crossed it once going….   Four hours later it’s dark and we come up on the county road that is no where close to where the camp house is located..   Walk to the only business for ten miles in any direction, a small beer joint and the lady that owns it loads us up in the back of her truck to take us back to camp for ridicule.  I learned to definitely never trust a aggy that day.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

download.jpg.b8174d929a0822ccc502f3da315f1e96.jpg

Edited by beer
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

IDK… Changing my kid’s diaper on the tailgate of a pickup at the cattle auction comes to mind. Actually I’ve done tons of ultra Texas-ey stuff but they’ll never be Texan because even after living here for 3 decades I’ll never be a Texan.

Eat enough Blue Bell ice cream and Whataburger and drink enough Lone Star and Shiner and you'll be a Texan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Did it also include dysentery?

Edit: props to Beer.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

IDK… Changing my kid’s diaper on the tailgate of a pickup at the cattle auction comes to mind. Actually I’ve done tons of ultra Texas-ey stuff but they’ll never be Texan because even after living here for 3 decades I’ll never be a Texan.

Having been born in Colorado, I am not a NATIVE Texan.  Having lived all over this great state for 45 of my 52 years on the planet, married a Texan, had 2 sons born and raised in Texas, and made my living in VERY Texan entities- yeah I'm absolfuckinglutely a Texan.

Meanwhile, I have a cousin who was born in Amarillo( Uncle was in USAF) and moved about 6 months later.  He has lived about 95% of his life in Colorado.  He's a native Texan, but anyone who knows him can see he is Coloradoan.

12 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

My mom was born in Mississippi, but she would tell you that she was a Texan the minute she stepped on Texas soil.  If you disagreed with her, she'd whip your ass or wear you out trying.  Texan is a state of mind, not a birthright.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Got a blow job and some pussy in a back of an El Camino 

Rode a horse to a convenience store 

Fired a shotgun when I was 5

I be damned. I can check all three of these. Additionally, I had a Ruger Single Six .357 holstered at the convenience store. To be fair, it was more of a general store and they had hitching rails for the local cowboys. I wasn't being any kind of badass.

We still miss that El Camino...

• Hook 'Em 2

Went frog gigging on the banks of the Red River.

Drank beer and Danced to Brave Combo at Westfest.

Played in a High School Football playoff game.

Married a blonde Majorette in an O’Neil Ford designed Chapel.

Crossed the Rio Grande in a row boat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Born in Dallas and raised in Austin.

Married a Texas girl - also a descendant of the 300.

Danced at Gruene Hall, Broken Spoke(including during an impromptu jam session by Willie, Kris, and a few others), Luckenbach, and several other.

Willie's 4th of July

Own a ranch and raise Texas Longhorns.

Sex on a John Deere, an oil rig, fishing dock, Mustang Island, etc.

Hunted and fished all over the state.

Tubed the Guadalupe, Comal, and Frio.

Went to Nuevo Laredo/Boys Town when you didn't have to worry about crossing.  Watched a chick fuck a beer bottle.

Ridden horses and attempted to ride a bull. 

Driven every inch of I-10 from Houston to El Paso (not all at once), and been from Brownsville to just about the corner of the Panhandle.

Been to the Matador and XIT reunions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, landman said:

Born in Dallas and raised in Austin.

Married a Texas girl - also a descendant of the 300.

Danced at Gruene Hall, Broken Spoke(including during an impromptu jam session by Willie, Kris, and a few others), Luckenbach, and several other.

Willie's 4th of July

Own a ranch and raise Texas Longhorns.

Sex on a John Deere, an oil rig, fishing dock, Mustang Island, etc.

Hunted and fished all over the state.

Tubed the Guadalupe, Comal, and Frio.

Went to Nuevo Laredo/Boys Town when you didn't have to worry about crossing.  Watched a chick fuck a beer bottle.

Ridden horses and attempted to ride a bull. 

Driven every inch of I-10 from Houston to El Paso (not all at once), and been from Brownsville to just about the corner of the Panhandle.

Been to the Matador and XIT reunions.

Did you get gonorrhea from this chick?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

Dipped OG copenhagen in high school,  in class,  no spit cup
Swam to the buoy off the tip of south padre Island (children's beach) , at night, drunk, and back to beach in a 10 person race.  Did not win,  but did not die.
Drove parent's car  into Reynosa at 15 to go drinking - a lot. 
Two stepped at the broken spoke with a beer in hand - was corrected.  
Bought a Ranch 

Maybe the “stealing/driving” the parents car across a boarder with no license needs its own thread.

Or at least more detail.

18 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Don’t feel bad, I was born in Georgia.

• Like 1

We had saddles on pump jacks and would ride them all the time. Boredom reigned supreme in ET. 

I was attacked by fire ants while taking a nap next to the smoker one morning. That sounds pretty unique. Had to go to the hospital due to the swelling, they estimated 45 bites on my legs. Fuck those things  

Lost my virginity under the bleachers of the HS stadium in 11th grade. That’s maybe more just a football state thing than Texas thing though  

Chased by a bull when trying to borrow a tractor to get a friend’s truck unstuck from the Sabine River bed. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also, my avatar is my 3x great uncle William A. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace, who was one of the original Texas Rangers.  Also my other 3x great uncle and Bigfoot's brother Samuel was killed in the Goliad Massacre.  

Bigfoot lived in a cave on Mount Bonnell. Pretty cool.

I too had an ancestor killed with Fannin.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My mom was born in Mississippi, but she would tell you that she was a Texan the minute she stepped on Texas soil.  If you disagreed with her, she'd whip your ass or wear you out trying.  Texan is a state of mind, not a birthright.

God Bless Mom....

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess my dad was having a bad year when I was about 5 or 6, because we had to move into a trailer house in the country.  One of our responsibilites was taking care of the horses in the horse barn behind the house.  There was another trailer house on the property, but they just lived there.  They didn't have work and wern't supposed to mess with the barn or animals.  We had to burn our trash.

We had a lot of land to get into trouble in.

One night, me and the two neighbor boys decide we are going to go get a horse out and ride it around...at night.  We're 5-8 years old, there's three of us.

We were'nt big enough to tack the horse, and we couldn't figure out how to get up on it bare back.

So we all drop down into the stall by the horse's feet.  Trample and kick zone, and the horse dosen't like this BS one bit.

We do some sort of a three kids on sholder's boost move (using the stall rails for stability).

I'm the one that got on bare back.  The other two tried to get on too, but it just wasn't happening.

The other boys are just about to open the stall for my getaway.  Remember, no saddle or reins...Indian style.

My dad shows up in time to stop us.  He was just glad we weren't permanently retarded from getting kicked.

A bunch of other country kid shit happened that year in the country.  And then more in the big city of Abilene.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

But was it drill pahp?  Cuz if it wasn't drill pahp, it don't count.

220, 221… Didn’t know, didn’t care.  I got paid $9.25 an hour to machine these grooves into tool joints and do shit jobs like unclogging the shavings trough multiple times a day. 

IMG_1012.thumb.jpeg.03743e8acc8b34c3881f3ff57c0bed8f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Good news for all your carpet baggers. The rules have been amended. It's now about your state of mind and love for the greatest state ever. Not where you were born. Hell, there are native Texans who have never ridden a horse or stepped in cow shit these days.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Went to Daytona for spring break with 'Fuck you we're from Texas' written in the dirt on the back window of the Suburban

Got kicked out of a bar in Lubbock as Ricky broke off a 75 yd td for singing the chorus of "The Distance" by Cake as loud as I could 

Went to Matamoros a year or two after Kilroy. I had a constitutional right to drink cheap Tecate in Mexico on spring break, fuck your cannibal cults. 

Went to Columbus in 05 and drank every last Shiner Bock some piece of shit bar had post-game.  Went to Bengals @ Browns the next day and sat in the dogpound wearing my Longhorn hat. 

I'm on the intramural wall of champions six times. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Went to Daytona for spring break with 'Fuck you we're from Texas' written in the dirt on the back window of the Suburban

Got kicked out of a bar in Lubbock as Ricky broke off a 75 yd td for singing the chorus of "The Distance" by Cake as loud as I could 

Went to Matamoros a year or two after Kilroy. I had a constitutional right to drink cheap Tecate in Mexico on spring break, fuck your cannibal cults. 

Went to Columbus in 05 and drank every last Shiner Bock some piece of shit bar had post-game.  Went to Bengals @ Browns the next day and sat in the dogpound wearing my Longhorn hat. 

I'm on the intramural wall of champions six times. 

Fuckin frat boy

On 7/5/2023 at 1:51 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was on the winning team for Bevo's birthday rodeo during my senior year at UT.

When I was growing up my grandparents owned a combination motel/gun shop in a small town.  We would go visit them for a weekend and us kids got to stay in a motel room, which we thought was way cool.  On Saturday, Granddad would load up his car with guns from the shop and take me out and teach me to shoot.

There was a pasture next to my grandparent's motel that had horses in it.  My parents always told us not to mess with the horses, but of course, as soon as they weren't looking we would be out in the pasture messing with the horses.  One time (I was 6 at the time) I was behind one of the horses and I turned my back on him.  The next thing I knew I was flying across the pasture.  The horse had kicked me with both hind hooves square in the back.  My older sisters picked me up and carried me back to the motel and made me promise not to tell Mom.  Unfortunately for them, the two massive hoof prints on my back gave us away.

When I was 12 I got kicked square in the chest by the first horse I ever broke.  It knocked me about about 10 feet away and my dad said he couldn't get a heartbeat for what seemed like an eternity but he figures it was a little less than a minute. I woke up and was fine except for the horseshoe shaped 1" knot on my chest.

I plowed my first field all by myself at 9 years old and had my fist pickup (58 Chevy stepside) as an 7th grader.  You grow up fast on the farm.  Probably illegal now.

That's kinda Texan I guess.

Edited by Ten Bears
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

When I was 12 I got kicked square in the chest by the first horse I ever broke.  It knocked me about about 10 feet away and my dad said he couldn't get a heartbeat for what seemed like an eternity but he figures it was a little less than a minute. I woke up and was fine except for the horseshoe shaped 1" knot on my chest.

I plowed my first field all by myself at 9 years old and had my fist pickup (58 Chevy stepside) as an 7th grader.  You grow up fast on the farm.  Probably illegal now.

fuck.  thats a real thing and it kills many who experience it - commotio cordis.  

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Negative 

Ok, fuckin GDI

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2023 at 10:58 AM, Ten Bears said:

My kid didn’t get his ‘59 until he was 25.

34509D1E-7D56-4EBA-AB31-C55EEFBC9D10.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Shot the shit with Rusty Wier over a couple of beers at Donn's Depot.  

Met him at a South Austin party where radio DJ Jeff Stevens lived in the mid 1960s. 
Didn’t shoot the shit with him though.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1