Most "Texan" thing you've ever done?

Brisketexan

Moved here from Colorado age 5.

Drove by myself on a Friday from Oak Ridge North 343 miles to Tuscola for Abernathy vs Nocona Area round football game. Stayed the night in Sweetwater after the game. Next day, drive to Odessa and watch Wichita Falls Rider vs El Paso Chapin at 2PM at Ratliff and then back to Sweetwater for Windthorst Vs Iraan.  Paid off with all 3 of my teams winning. Colt McCoy-ville, Ratliff- and the Mustang Bowl was a good trifecta.

I'd also submit playing a football game Friday night, seining a stock tank Saturday morning after practice and then dove hunting late that afternoon.  Then coming back and cleaning fish/ dressing the dove and having a big ass get together with friends. September can be great times!!!

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

There is no more Texan thing than graduating from The Unversity of Texas.

Except that a shit-ton of non-Texans do it.

So years ago, I started shit with a Mexican neighbor of mine after he let me borrow a gun one time.

I kept it for like four years and when he asked for the gun back I said, I couldn't find it, lol. Uhhh, we're not home today. Come get it from me tomorrow hahaha.

Before you judge, the guy was a dick. He was in charge of the HOA and kept changing the rules, kinda fucking with a lot of us.

Anyway, "what gun?" Lulz.

Meanwhile my friends came over and we eventually punked him and his crew ... he left a few months later and we basically took over the whole neighborhood.

It's a mostly happy ending though. We let him come back eventually and we hang sometimes. He's got some good beer and tacos.

Edited by gofuckyourself
Wait...Texan or Texian?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Played high school football Friday nights.

Drove long distances several times to watch high school playoff games with no relatives on either team.

Drove two and a half hours just to get good barbecue.

Fished most of the Texas coast from Galveston to Port Mansfield.

Helped neighbors round up cattle that got loose.

Swam in stock tanks, the Gulf, various lakes, and the Frio.

Measure travel distances in hours rather than miles.

Camped in the backyard, at the Guadalupe Mountains, Palo Duro Canyon, and uncounted other Texas state parks.

Vacationed in Colorado and New Mexico to get out of the heat.

Smoked meat outside in July and August.

Bought land that I have no intention of ever letting go.  (I know that it is more Texan to steal land, but opportunities are much more limited than in the past.)

Been to the Alamo and San Jacinto, and respect the participants on both sides of each.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Participated in an armadillo race my freshman year at UT.  Won second place.  Failed to impress the chick I was attempting to pick up.

Well, duh, you lost a foot race to an armadillo.  Not exactly a blowjob worth performance.

• Haha 1

When I lived in Brazil I made my own tortillas because I needed some tacos.

Waded in the Rio Grande, been to the top of Texas, hiked to the Narrows.

Made sure my daughters were born here making them 8th generation of Texans (via my mom's side of the family).

My brothers and I will inherit my mom's interest in several O&G wells.

• Hook 'Em 3

Lotta good ones listed here.

A couple more unique ones:
Before Franklin revolutionized the BBQ scene in Austin our buddy flew us from Georgetown to Llano where we had lunch (cooper's ) and then back to Georgetown. We left the office at 10 and got back by 2.

Got my accord stuck in mud at the lease after a torrential storm caught me by surprise. Had to walk out and wait til the next day for everything to dry before getting the car. Didn't even take any birds that day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a Texan, never lived there, make no claims, but my best friend from ISU has lived in Texas since we graduated, and I've visited him close to 10 times since then.  Here are my submissions:

- Got thrown out of Floyd-Casey Stadium, but then changed my shirt and snuck back in.

- Drank a Shiner Bock at the Texas State Fair.

- Nearly got assaulted by RC Slocum while entering Kyle Field.

- Took a shit at Buc-Ee's

- Drank a nipple beer (bottle had been shaken up whilst touching the bartender's exposed breast) at some bar near the Houston airport that was essentially a shack with half a dirt floor.

-Contemplated suicide while my wife spent an hour at Magnolia

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

So years ago, I started shit with a Mexican neighbor of mine after he let me borrow a gun one time.

I kept it for like four years and when he asked for the gun back I said, I couldn't find it, lol. Uhhh, we're not home today. Come get it from me tomorrow hahaha.

Before you judge, the guy was a dick. He was in charge of the HOA and kept changing the rules, kinda fucking with a lot of us.

Meanwhile my friends came over and we eventually punked him and his crew ... he left a few months later and we basically took over the whole neighborhood.

It's a mostly happy ending though. We let him come back eventually and we hang sometimes. He's got some good beer and tacos.

This isn't getting nearly enough love.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Username checks out

On 7/3/2023 at 8:53 PM, Hawndoh said:

I dunno...

Tubed the Comal, rode a horse, been to a Texas/OU game, dozens of high school football games...

I did an all day road trip from Plano to Lockhart and Luling and back for 5 different BBQ lunches.

I've done day trips from Austin to Brownsville and back for barbacoa and Austin to Amarillo and back for barbecue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I tell people in Missouri (where I now live) that the BBQ sucks here and that Central Texas BBQ is far superior.

You need to break the news to them about the Mexican food, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rode the Texas Cyclone....before and after "safety" modifications.

Driven to El Paso.

Driven to Muleshoe.

Driven to Houston before the 71 bypass was built.

Seen an Astros game at the Astrodome.

Toured Texas Stadium

Eaten at Dirty's in Houston

Been to Juarez.

Crossed the border for Cabrito.

Shouted "OU SUCKS!"

Taken a dump in the woods.

Bought a smoker.

Own a truck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Davis Lane said:

Rode the Texas Cyclone....before and after "safety" modifications.

You could sub out Texas Giant or the Rattler depending on your Six Flags of preference and still fit in here comfortably. I loved all 3 of them in their wooden state of bang you up coaster.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was on the winning team for Bevo's birthday rodeo during my senior year at UT.

When I was growing up my grandparents owned a combination motel/gun shop in a small town.  We would go visit them for a weekend and us kids got to stay in a motel room, which we thought was way cool.  On Saturday, Granddad would load up his car with guns from the shop and take me out and teach me to shoot.

There was a pasture next to my grandparent's motel that had horses in it.  My parents always told us not to mess with the horses, but of course, as soon as they weren't looking we would be out in the pasture messing with the horses.  One time (I was 6 at the time) I was behind one of the horses and I turned my back on him.  The next thing I knew I was flying across the pasture.  The horse had kicked me with both hind hooves square in the back.  My older sisters picked me up and carried me back to the motel and made me promise not to tell Mom.  Unfortunately for them, the two massive hoof prints on my back gave us away.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Deer & Beer parties in HS. Head out to somebody's field in BFE (everybody had one), start drinking and maybe if we were really lucky, nobody got shot trying to hunt deer in the dark. A couple times we came prepared with meat to cook, but usually the ultra-alphas would head out to feed the group. Didn't matter, had beer and HS girlz.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Deer & Beer parties in HS. Head out to somebody's field in BFE (everybody had one), start drinking and maybe if we were really lucky, nobody got shot trying to hunt deer in the dark. A couple times we came prepared with meat to cook, but usually the ultra-alphas would head out to feed the group. Didn't matter, had beer and HS girlz.

This sounds crazy, so y’all were in high school went out drinking in a field, all normal to this point, but then some went hunting with guns to kill a deer, field dress and butcher, and then cooked it all in the same night? Did they even season or do anything with the meat? What about all the leftover parts?

6 hours ago, RPM said:

This is a good memory.  Keg parties were awesome.  We had a caliche pit about 3 miles from town.  We could raise hell and nobody ever cared out there.

Good stuff.  Not sure if uniquely Texan, but these Texas kids damned sure did it.

Fucked a girl in the back of her dad's Suburban in the parking lot of Wonderland Mall after leaving NIOSA in SA. Fucked a girl at her apartment after getting drunk at the State Fair and she hurled after being drunk and riding some looping ride.  I've hiked all over Big Bend, climbed Enchanted Rock, and floated in raft/canoe/tube down more than a few Texas rivers (Rio Grande, Llano, Guadalupe, Nueces and San Marcos).  I've lived in every "big city" in Texas except for El Paso and Amarillo.  I don't give a goddamn how hot it gets.  I'm a Texan and will be until the day I die....I may also be high/drunk already.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I've been fortunate enough to do tons of activities that I would consider extremely Texan.  But, I have two very Texan days:
August 2019.  Left the house around 7 AM with a few buddies and their sons, snagged breakfast tacos from Flores in Drip, picked up some BBQ from Lam's in Junction a few hours later, kayaked / fished the South Llano while drinking Lone Star and eating BBQ sammiches.  Drove to the ranch around 4 PM, got in the stand and saw my son whack a big sow right before dusk, came back to the camp and grilled steaks over open coals, then wrapped up the night watching the stars as a big thunderstorm rolled in from the west around midnight.
October 9, 1999.  Texas-OU.  Had seats on the 40, watched Major lead us to victory 38-28, hopped in the truck and drove straight to Arlington, sat down in our seats behind home plate right before first pitch, watched Roger and the Yanks clinch the ALDS against the Rangers (as a Longhorn and Astros fan, I was rooting for Roger), drove to Ft Worth and watched Robert Earl play at Billy Bob's.  Caught a ride back to the hotel in Dallas.  
Both top 5 days of my life.  And extremely Texan. 

Definitely solid.

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not a Texan, never lived there, make no claims, but my best friend from ISU has lived in Texas since we graduated, and I've visited him close to 10 times since then.  Here are my submissions:

- Got thrown out of Floyd-Casey Stadium, but then changed my shirt and snuck back in.

- Drank a Shiner Bock at the Texas State Fair.

- Nearly got assaulted by RC Slocum while entering Kyle Field.

- Took a shit at Buc-Ee's

- Drank a nipple beer (bottle had been shaken up whilst touching the bartender's exposed breast) at some bar near the Houston airport that was essentially a shack with half a dirt floor.

-Contemplated suicide while my wife spent an hour at Magnolia

Did you have a Fletcher's Corn Dog at the State Fair?  Otherwise not sure it counts.

• Hook 'Em 3