USWNT 2023: Journey to a 5th Star

pacman

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

And if he's going to make a sub this late, it has to be for Rapinoe. She is going to be useless in the shootout. You can almost predict the panenka.

If she isn't on the list as taker 10, I am going to fight someone.

Make it 11, I would trust Naeher more right now.

Paging @JNip, Ron needs a punching bag; is your dad available?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

On the bright side, we’ll never have to pretend to root for Rapinoe again. 

the whole world is laughing at the idea of 38-year-old striker not only taking a spot on the roster but actually playing real important minutes in a world cup

brazil suffered the same fate giving 37-year-old marta a 6th mundial to set that record, but crashed out at group stage for the first time since '95

the difference is the brazilians didn't build an ad campaign around a child version of marta with purple hair, to feed brazilian girls false propaganda about brazilian female exceptionalism

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

HUH?

I thought they were:

• Poorly coached
  • Indecisive
  • Unable to finish chances
  • Made poor decisions
  • Lacked trust
  • Played a lackluster offense
  • Had some players that were older than dirt
  • Made shitty subs

But I didn't think they were arrogant.

delusionial

drunk with power

fat ($$) from being overpaid

gobsmacked at their repeated failures

defiant and not humble at all after each succeeding shipwreck

absolutely arrogant

worse than the '99 crew

• Hook 'Em 4

I’m even more worthless than usual today. My wife is not amused. 

One goal in 3 games against teams not named Vietnam is exceedingly poor. There is simply no excuse for that. If the coach isn’t fired very soon, this simply isn’t a serious program. I think we all know the answer to that in any case. 

The one bright spot here is that at least we don’t have to get up in the middle of the night to watch this anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

fifa unbundled the WWC from the men's rights packages thinking they had a strong hand

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023-media-rights-tv-revenue/?zephr_sso_ott=17t4Po

but they missed their $300m target by $100m

in the US, fox had already sold 90% of their ad inventory as of june, with fox claiming a 50% increase in revenue from '19

https://adage.com/article/media/2023-fifa-womens-world-cup-ads-are-90-sold-out-says-fox-sports/2499411

welp, i'm glad i didn't write those checks, because the country is going to tune out entirely now given the time zone problem compounding the embarassing failure of a team pre-ordained to waltz to a 3rd crown....   it turned out, that no one needed to stop them, because they were completely capable of stopping themselves

and that's all i've got to say about that

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

welp, i'm glad i didn't write those checks, because the country is going to tune out entirely now given the time zone problem compounding the embarassing failure of a team pre-ordained to waltz to a 3rd crown....  

yeah, I wouldn’t want to be the marketing team that bought or sold those campaigns at this point.  

5 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Now that their season is over, the players can use the down time to learn the words to the national anthem.

I hope you aren't implying that they were arrogant or lacked spirit or passion or weren't focused. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Since when is singing the anthem out loud required of any American, even when representing their country?

or evidence of lack of love or passion?

I'm just fucking around. 

Also isn't the controversy no hand over the heart rather than not singing?

It's just one of those things that gets pointed out when you lose and no one cares when you win. Like trash talking or showboating or whatever.

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This team needs to clean house. Start with the ten or so who are over 30. Get some new blood and a new identity.

Yep. This will hopefully be a wake-up for the program. No more pandering to stars of yesteryear. No more expecting that we can dominate based on athleticism alone. Train in a smart system, develop chemistry, and play your best 11 (judged based on how they play as a unit, and not just individual talent). 

If the USWNT make that shift, there’s no reason they can’t regain their spot at the top of world soccer. The program needed some humility to force smart personnel and tactical decisions. I hope it makes them.

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. This will hopefully be a wake-up for the program. No more pandering to stars of yesteryear. No more expecting that we can dominate based on athleticism alone. Train in a smart system, develop chemistry, and play your best 11 (judged based on how they play as a unit, and not just individual talent). 

If the USWNT make that shift, there’s no reason they can’t regain their spot at the top of world soccer. The program needed some humility to force smart personnel and tactical decisions. I hope it makes them.

it's not the program.  it's the fed, the nwsl, the ncaa, and the entire youth development construct.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

A team has to be on the same page if you’re going to win at the highest level.  When half the players sing the national anthem and half the team stands there like statues, there’s a clear lack of unity which manifested itself in a disappointing performance.  

arrogance

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

yes Carli nose better.

Yeah, I was turned off by the media coverage trying to start something at every turn. They can't go all gotta be a team, represent the country, yada yada and the proceed to tear down the team that is representing their country. It just all seems like sour grapes with olds trying to tell the youngins how much better they were.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, I was turned off by the media coverage trying to start something at every turn. They can't go all gotta be a team, represent the country, yada yada and the proceed to tear down the team that is representing their country. It just all seems like sour grapes with olds trying to tell the youngins how much better they were.

It’s fox.  Their coverage is AWFUL.   What I’d give to have NBC covering this.  Lalas is a skip blayless wannabe, who is buddies with Clay Travis.  Carli is a bitter hag.  It was all click bait bullshit designed to get people arguing, which worked.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the whole world is laughing at the idea of 38-year-old striker not only taking a spot on the roster but actually playing real important minutes in a world cup

brazil suffered the same fate giving 37-year-old marta a 6th mundial to set that record, but crashed out at group stage for the first time since '95

the difference is the brazilians didn't build an ad campaign around a child version of marta with purple hair, to feed brazilian girls false propaganda about brazilian female exceptionalism

Rapinoe is not a striker.

(BTW, she should not have gotten off the bench in this tournament.)

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Narrator: It wasn’t, and they didn’t. 

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I’m even more worthless than usual today. My wife is not amused. 

One goal in 3 games against teams not named Vietnam is exceedingly poor. There is simply no excuse for that. If the coach isn’t fired very soon, this simply isn’t a serious program. I think we all know the answer to that in any case. 

The one bright spot here is that at least we don’t have to get up in the middle of the night to watch this anymore. 

Right there with you. Was supposed to get up and clean up a bunch of fallen limbs (Big Pecan tree is dying). Said fuck it, will do it this evening and went and got a nice lunch and chugged quite a few aguafrescas. Now I just want a beer and a nap. 

I do a lot of overseas coordinating so I am usually up until 2-3. I will keep watching the first game. Hot chicks and all that. 

Coach should be gone quickly. Rapinoe as well. One more interview on Good Morning America and out to pasture. I see her becoming a coach or a politician. Morgan needs to prove she can lead the team, and if not, out to pasture. 

Youth was solid, if not shaky at times. Understand about the injuries, but that is sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

A team has to be on the same page if you’re going to win at the highest level.  When half the players sing the national anthem and half the team stands there like statues, there’s a clear lack of unity which manifested itself in a disappointing performance.  

THIS is some stupid ass shit. I watch NFL games, NBA games, MLB games and half the team doesn't sing and no one questions unity or anything like this. Hell, I see Olympic teams that have players that don't sing and no one bats an eye. 

This team has problems, them singing or not singing has ZERO to do with it.

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

fifa unbundled the WWC from the men's rights packages thinking they had a strong hand

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023-media-rights-tv-revenue/?zephr_sso_ott=17t4Po

but they missed their $300m target by $100m

in the US, fox had already sold 90% of their ad inventory as of june, with fox claiming a 50% increase in revenue from '19

https://adage.com/article/media/2023-fifa-womens-world-cup-ads-are-90-sold-out-says-fox-sports/2499411

welp, i'm glad i didn't write those checks, because the country is going to tune out entirely now given the time zone problem compounding the embarassing failure of a team pre-ordained to waltz to a 3rd crown....   it turned out, that no one needed to stop them, because they were completely capable of stopping themselves

and that's all i've got to say about that

GOOD! I'm glad fox has gotten fucked by a winter world cup and a middle of the night world cup. Fuck Fox and fuck Alexi and fuck Carli and fuck fox's no-bidding asses.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Let's be fair. The women's team has won 4 of these. They have expectations and they fell WELL below this this go around. The real question is does the federation have the balls to really do it, because in 12 months we have the Olympics. That means you either keep Vlatko with him knowing he's coaching for his job over the next 12 months or you clean house now.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So have those goal line cams/VAR whatever been validated to accuracy and precision of a millimeter?

I'm seeing 0.5 cm, but that is an old number (like 2012 ish). I don't know how accurate it is considered now.

In the end, this is the system everyone has agreed to - so they call it a goal, then I won't argue it.

EDIT - sorry 2014 and here is an article https://www.gadgets360.com/science/news/fifa-world-cup-2014-goalline-technology-deemed-unhackable-540313

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm seeing 0.5 cm, but that is an old number (like 2012 ish). I don't know how accurate it is considered now.

In the end, this is the system everyone has agreed to - so they call it a goal, then I won't argue it.

True. I just hope that if it’s outside the ability of the system to discern, it’s a no goal. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

who did she sub in for in this tournament and where did she play when she came on?

Vietnam - Morgan - appeared to play on the left wing with Smith moving central

Portugal - Smith - left wing

Sweden - Morgan - appeared to play on the left wing with Smith moving central

Irony - couldn't get any height on her corners and free kicks. Skies her shootout attempt over the cross bar.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

who did she sub in for in this tournament and where did she play when she came on?

She came on for Morgan but she most definitely was NOT playing as a striker in this match, or ever in her USWNT career. I don't watch women's professional soccer so I don't know where she plays with her club team.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still can’t believe rapinoe was on the team, let alone getting playing time. 

Do we really have no depth at that position, or was she included as a high visibility personality that might draw tv eyeballs?  Neither answer is good, so maybe there’s another choice. 

My thinking is that keeping Rapinoe, and to a lesser extent Morgan, in the squad has more to do with the federation and advertisers. It has to do with appeasing their base.

Rapinoe told the manager that she’s there to fill whatever roll he needed and she wasn’t expecting to start or receive major minutes.

Having Rapinoe’s backing was probably appealed to the manager and would help in the locker room and when he filled out the lineup card with stupid decision after stupid decision. It would help when he had the deepest bench in the tournament (probably) and like Berhalter, he refused to follow a smart substitution pattern that would keep players fresh and provide a spark. (The similarities in the glaring deficiencies of the two national team managers is comical.)

The women don’t have nearly the skill or tactical awareness that they should have, but they are deep enough to have scored goals in regulation today, especially if Morgan isn’t playing. Apparently Smith and Rodman are strikers who were played out of position so that Morgan could go “0 for the tournament” from the #9 position.

So have those goal line cams/VAR whatever been validated to accuracy and precision of a millimeter?

You think that the ball crossed the line by 2mm or more?

In tennis, the margin of error is +/- 3mm, but everyone accepts the automated call.

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It is interesting that FOX News spends so much time & effort trying to destroy FOX Sports #1 female sport/sports team. 

Perhaps they have done studies showing that it drives viewers to both their news network AND their sports network. 

I’m fairly certain that CNN/TBS/TNT/CBS don’t employ this strategy not do Disney’s & NBC-Universal’s various news / sports platforms. 

• Hook 'Em 2