2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Happy for Elliott, too.

I guess in part because of the portal, he's done three different things over the past few years that seem to have turned our worm:

• The emphasis on serving
  • Getting quality DS/libero
  • Top quality setter

I guess there's some luck involved, but the last couple of years I don't feel outclassed when we get to this level of competiton, which was a perennial thing for most of the last 10-11 years.

I hope you like this team. They’re fun to root for. Even someone often maligned like Jenna who stepped up when Madi was struggling in set 1. We won’t win set 1 without Jenna. 

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Madi: “What they say on social media, what they say online, it's a bunch of crap."

I think she’s displaced Logan as my favorite Longhorn volleyball player ever

Worship GIF

Man, they sure pumped up the "human interest" angle on her tonight.  I'm liking her a lot better as a person.

I don't think I have seen a back-row attack as effective as she is, evar.  They're usually kind of hit or miss.

ETA: My earlier comment disliking this team I think centered on what felt like all the mercenary talent (as if we didn't win it last year on mercenaries, but at least mostly from lesser programs).  Wenaas was pissing me off, Madi was kind of pissing me off.  Grrr.

They also seemed a little extra lackadaisical during B12 play.

But, man, they have turned it up since Tennessee.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Great friend is an avid volleyballer in Wisconsin. Told me he'd seen nearly every Wiscy match this year, and that if they'd played their usual game they'd have beaten us 25-15 or worse in a sweep. I asked him why they didn't...no good response. 

Haha they were shook! Absolutely rolled both team and their head coach

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Great friend is an avid volleyballer in Wisconsin. Told me he'd seen nearly every Wiscy match this year, and that if they'd played their usual game they'd have beaten us 25-15 or worse in a sweep. I asked him why they didn't...no good response. 

It was even through 2. Texas intensity and execution left them rattled, scared, they pressed, panicked, unraveled and then gave up. That was a USDA prime beat down.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Tell him they should maybe try to successfully receive a serve from Skinner every so often. Hard to win points with the ball on the ground. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Let he/she know that they suck 

Texas won’t face the height on Sunday, but they will face the best libero in the country in Lexi Rodriguez 

Middles go 6’3 and 6’4

OH 6’2 and 6’5

OPP 6’4

They also start a freshman setter (6’1) and a freshman middle and a freshman OH. And their main DS is a freshman as well. 

Texas has the experience factor for sure. And the Skinner factor. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

ABC got everything it wanted

Texas/Nebraska grudge match

Both teams reloading after losing some big time players

Elliot/Cook

Akana/Nebraska

Jordan Larson/David Hunt on opposite sidelines 

ABC in DirecTV still having a slap fight and have to use the rabbit ears in DFW.

41 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Let he/she know that they suck 

“Let he know.” / “Let she know.”

En serio?

English had better not be your first language.

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Yeah sometimes your opponent has something to say about whether or not you're gonna play "your usual game". 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Assman said:

Anyone know what hotel the team is staying at? We're thinking about flying out for the game and my daughters would go insane if they saw the team up close.

a friend and her wife are there they are season ticket holders and travel some for games let me see if I can find out if some one here doesn’t already know. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Madisen Skinner is one of the best volleyball players i've ever watched.

She fucking elevates from the back on those middle kill shots. I love seeing those ladies sky like that.  The O’Neil slide is just as drool worthy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

For those scoring at home:

3rd national champ appearance:

TX - Skinner (1 UK, 2 Texas) Akana (1 Corn, 2 Texas), Phillips, O’Neal

2nd national champ appearance:

TX - Halter

Corn - Rodriguez, Batenhorst 

Texas has a combined 14 champ match experiences to Nebraska’s 4

• Hook 'Em 4

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!