being offended

24 minutes ago, Lord Melbourne said:

Hoo boy. Agree to disagree. We don’t do a lot of nuance nowadays. The quicksand scene, the sheriff is near, #6 dance, you said rape twice etc etc. 

I have not seen the new History of the World so I could be wrong. Given that it’s on Hulu, not many others have seen it either. 

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This.  Zero chance anyone would get within a mile of making that movie today, as great as it is.

Have y'all seen modern television and movies?  Not only would they make the rape joke, they'd then show the rape. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Melbourne said:

Hoo boy. Agree to disagree. We don’t do a lot of nuance nowadays. The quicksand scene, the sheriff is near, #6 dance, you said rape twice etc etc. 

I have not seen the new History of the World so I could be wrong. Given that it’s on Hulu, not many others have seen it either. 

This episode of It's Always Sunny was released in 2017. A few seasons later, a character says the N-word in the same episode that the gang is in mediation over another character's use of "f-g-ot." They also have had blackface more than once. The show is still going, and the worst they've faced is that the blackface episodes aren't on Hulu, but can be found elsewhere (I don't agree with that decision btw), and some online criticisms from usual sources. Also, have you seen any South Park episodes in recent years? 

https://itsalwayssunny.fandom.com/wiki/The_Gang_Turns_Black

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

@Orale, not to threadjack, but how old are you? Because I'm a young Gen X-er and we played "Smear the Queer" a lot in school. Mainly I'm asking because 1) I'm interested in how the word changed, 2) I'm fascinated and excited that the connotation changed so quickly, 3) I'm a high school teacher and I love how LGBTQ+ students are much more accepted by their peers than they were when I was in school, and 4) I just want to get a gauge on how old I actually am.

Young GenXer = old.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Take care of your heart and be kind to your loved ones so they remember you fondly.  You don't have a lot of time left to make a good impression.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This episode of It's Always Sunny was released in 2017. A few seasons later, a character says the N-word in the same episode that the gang is in mediation over another character's use of "f-g-ot." They also have had blackface more than once. The show is still going, and the worst they've faced is that the blackface episodes aren't on Hulu, but can be found elsewhere (I don't agree with that decision btw), and some online criticisms from usual sources. Also, have you seen any South Park episodes in recent years? 

https://itsalwayssunny.fandom.com/wiki/The_Gang_Turns_Black

Fair points. I had forgotten about South Park. I’ll say cable TV is a different ballgame than big screen movies. The mob is very capricious. Hard to tell when they’ll pivot. I think South Park creators have always had a fuck you attitude that has helped minimize blowback.

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You realize Hulu has 50 million subscribers, right? That's more than Comcast and DTV combined. 

that’s great. I’m pretty sure I’m one of them for whatever reason. Can’t remember the last time I watched it. 

Just now, Samson's Wig said:

Your personal experience is definitely the barometer we should use to judge such matters.  I'll call Hulu and let them know to just shut it down.

Thanks. 

How high is Hulu on your streaming service list? 

Our house it’s behind Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, Disney

1 minute ago, Lord Melbourne said:

Thanks. 

How high is Hulu on your streaming service list? 

Our house it’s behind Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, Disney

It's viewed more in our house as they have Canadian content that my wife enjoys, but I don't take our personal usage as illustrative of any broader trend.  Your list is essentially in order of the number of subscribers, so I take your point (although Prime is puffed up by users who never utilize the streaming service).  Hulu's 50 million subscribers is nothing to sneeze at, however, which was all I was getting at.  They're doing just fine.

10 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Forget Blazing Saddles, not even Tropic Thunder could get remade today.

Very well informed and supported response. Poor Robert Downey Jr., cancelled for blackface. Hasn't had a meaningful role since, as far as I can tell.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

On 7/18/2023 at 6:16 AM, shadow_operative said:

pretty simple premise here, but i honestly don't understand the idea of being offended. the genesis of this thread comes from an incident yesterday where the basketball board got all up in arms because someone said the word "retarded", replete with half the thread rallying behind the idea that it's NEVER ok to use that word/those words, which of course is completely retarded, especially here on surly (not to mention in half the tv shows and movies we celebrate here). here's where i'm going with this:

I don't understand the concept of being offended. I don't think there's anything that anyone in the world could say that would actually offend me. you could call my mom a whore, tell me i'm a fat bipolar bitch, or make a crass joke about dead babies who tragically died in a house fire- i still don't find any of that to be "offensive" per se. those things might make me mad; i might look down on you, or feel sorry for you if that's how you choose to act; but as far as pearl-clutching, *gasp*, "that's offensive to me" goes? yeah, i honestly just don't get it. i'm way, way too desensitized to stuff like that to get offended. 

so, i'm here for your thoughts. what, if anything, offends you? and is there any reason for any adult person to ever truly feel offended? i've spent some time thinking about this and i can't remember the last time i felt offended, and i struggle to come up with something that i could truly find offensive. again, people can say all sorts of terrible things that are in totally poor taste, but to me, being offended is a conscious choice that is made, a choice that anyone could choose to stop feeling at any time. i don't see how anyone who doesn't want to be offended can find themselves offended. thoughts? comments? am i delusional? am i actually offended by these things but i just don't realize it? i'd like to know.  i'll hang up and listen now.

The notion that someone calling you a fat bi-polar bitch doesn’t offend YOU offends me. The premise of this thread offends me. You retard. 

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Blazing saddles wouldn’t get remade today because if it isn’t an action movie or a horror movie our room temp IQ population won’t go see it and it won’t make money. That’s the biggest reason. 

Good Lord lets hope so.  Both Ashton Kutcher or Russell Brand would fuck it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, troph said:

Queer is an amazing example of reclaiming. The conversation to add Q to LGBT within HRC nomenclature was highly emotional precisely because queer was a slur for most of the leadership, but the young people have taken it back in less than a generation or two. It has been so successful the term is now available to allies to use as well. It can still be a slur but it’s fast becoming anything but that. Fascinating to me. 

Growing up f*g/f****t were the insults and anything/everything that mildly annoyed you was "gay". Queer wasn't even a thing, which is why as an adult I used the word in writing and speaking, as I read the word in literature. To mean, weird and quirky and outside of the norm.

Same thing for gay. I like to sing Streets of Laredo and talk about "once in the saddle, used to go gay" loud and watch my teens cringe. To me, it means a carefree happiness these days. 

So I guess I've reclaimed the reclaimation of the words that once were denigrated?

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The differences between when I entered the workforce in the late 70’s and now that is pretty found.

The pendulum has swung a bit too far. A few years ago I was a merchant for a large international retailer and was making a presentation discussing the differences in the TV business between the US and Mexico. I made a number of references to the “Mexican” market, the demographics of our “Mexican” customers, and performance of our “Mexican” stores. A hand went up, and a young woman from marketing stated “I’m sure I’m not the only one here who would appreciate it if you would stop using a racial slur in your presentation?” Excuse me? “Mexican isn’t an acceptable term!” This girl had a degree from Princeton. Before I could gather a response that wasn’t going to be a slur about her ignorant yankee moronic ass her boss shut her down and she then left the meeting.

Oriental is also a word that remains a good word though it’s now demonized. I wouldn’t use it for people but I also avoid general words like Asian. But the Orient simply means east. I don’t know any of my Japanese, Chinese. Thai, Vietnamese, Indian or Korean friends colleagues or family that like the term Asian, whether Americans or foreign nationals, that use the term. They identify as Japanese or Koreans or whatever and generally hate all the others.

Your post is this vibe:

image.jpeg.1df65716bfbd80ca98467857cd260eb3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lord Melbourne said:

i recently watched BS for the first time. zero chance that movie would be green lit today. i'm pretty sure they said the n word and faggot like 60 seconds into the movie lol. 

edited to add: of course they could make a movie like this for a streaming service, but never for theatrical release.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Very well informed and supported response. Poor Robert Downey Jr., cancelled for blackface. Hasn't had a meaningful role since, as far as I can tell.

What are you talking about?  I didn't say anything about RDJ.  Do you think TT would be green lit in today's world?

i was recently talking to my mom about a spice girls song with lyrics that say, "boys and girls go good together", and i was opining that they could never make that song today. not even a week later i hear the song and sure enough, they've edited that part out and completely changed the lyrics. that's the level of hypersensitivity we're at these days. 

23 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Thank you for the honest response.  It's disparaging, it's a slur, and I don't care because I don't like him.

With that freedom in mind, if we support people in this thought process, are we cool with applying this standard to Senator Tammy Duckworth D-IL?  I assume that she takes political positions that the right disagrees with around protection of unborn life, etc etc etc.  I'm also sure that as passionate as you are about Gov. Greg Abbott's politics, there are probably also people who feel equally passionate about Sen. Duckworth's positions.  We cool if people on the the other side are calling her "ole' stumpy" or "hot wheels?"

tammy-duckworth-featured.png?fit=1200,67

I hope the answer is "no" and that no is driven from a place of respect for disabled humans' dignity instead of "Yes because I agree with her policies and not his."

FTR I'm against name calling or slurring either of them...

Tammy Duckworth lost her legs when Iraqi insurgents shot down the Blackhawk helicopter she was piloting in combat. Greg Abbot's dumbass got hit by a fucking tree while jogging. He sued, won millions in a settlement, then pushed tort reform to prevent other victims of much less stupid accidents from benefitting in the same way he did.

I personally don't refer to that fucking goblin as Hot Wheels. But I get it. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i was recently talking to my mom about a spice girls song with lyrics that say, "boys and girls go good together", and i was opining that they could never make that song today. not even a week later i hear the song and sure enough, they've edited that part out and completely changed the lyrics. that's the level of hypersensitivity we're at these days. 

That was an artistic choice by the spice girls. 4 years ago. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/spice-girls-changed-2-become-1-lyrics-lgbtqi-friendly-2475471

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

What are you talking about?  I didn't say anything about RDJ.  Do you think TT would be green lit in today's world?

Yes, easily. Probably more so today with RDJ and Ben Stillers’ profiles. Again, do you even watch tv these days?

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

frustrated oh no GIF

I love how the most hypersensitive people on the planet, with absolutely zero self-awareness, are the ones most consistently bitching about how hypersensitive modern culture is.  Sure, some of it's over the top, but would the young you really want the old you determining what is or isn't appropriate?  It's not as if it's anything new that many people hit a certain age and slip into a rocking chair lifestyle where they smile while spewing uncomfortable and outdated things to their children and grandchildren.  If that's where you're at, embrace it, but don't try to convince anyone that you have the moral high ground.  You're just an old bigot like every other old bigot that existed in every generation before.  The target of bigotry shifts over time, but the sentiment doesn't.  The longer you live the more likely you are to end up there.  I'm sure I'll get there someday myself (if I'm not already).

Counterpoint: The guy who has demonstrated being more intellectually divergent than any other regular poster on this site complaining that he can't say the R-word may have a point when you consider the other comments regarding reclaiming slurs.  Maybe that's what is actually happening here and we should be celebrating his mission.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only skimmed this thread, read a handful of posts to get the gist.  It's pretty much perfect, because it started with one-sided bellyaching.  Shit would be a lot better if people followed two simple rules:

1 -- don't be a fucking dick.  If you know that an action or words cause someone genuine offense, do your best not to take such action/use such words.  E.g., if someone's preferred pronoun is "they," try to call them "they."  Don't use the N-word, or bellyache about how you can't use it but gangsta rappers can.

2 -- don't be overly sensitive, especially if the action/words at issue are innocent, and not intended to be hurtful.  If someone tells me their preferred pronoun is now "they," but I have known the person as a "her" for some time, I may well slip up and call them "her."  They shouldn't get all bent out of shape about it if that happens.

In both directions, just be a decent person, don't be a dick, and try to extend people a little bit of grace and compassion.

Yeah, I know, I'm pissing in the wind.  We are a society dominated and completely controlled by our irrational, titty-baby extremes, and that's how it's gonna be.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jesus Christ shut up about your good ole days 

This is no longer about being offended. It’s about the world changing and people being big mad they can’t use racial and homophobic slurs and punch down anymore. And that artists are more inclusive and accepting of the current climate 

what are you even talking about? nobody here is "being big mad they can’t use racial and homophobic slurs and punch down anymore." who here even fits that description, or behaves like this? the answer is nobody. you are charging at windmills here.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s their art, they can make it more inclusive if they want 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The group choosing to change the lyrics themselves versus radio or the label doing it without their consent is a huge difference. 

He predicted that someone would change the lyrics and someone did. 

I agree they should be able to do what they want. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

He predicted that someone would change the lyrics and someone did. 

I agree they should be able to do what they want. 

Dude, you're being dense. He suggested that the song couldn't be made anymore, as in would want to but would not be allowed to. That isn't what happened at all. 

But sure, that innocuous teeny bopper song can't be made anymore due to a hypersensitive culture, but a song with the lyrics:

Yeah, you fucking with some wet ass pussy
Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy
Give me everything you got for this wet ass pussy

Beat it up, nigga, catch a charge
Extra large, and extra hard
Put this pussy right in yo' face
Swipe your nose like a credit card
Hop on top, I want a ride
I do a kegel while it's inside
Spit in my mouth, look at my eyes
This pussy is wet, come take a dive

Tie me up like I'm surprised
Let's role-play, I wear a disguise
I want you to park that big Mack truck right in this little garage
Make it cream, make me scream
Out in public, make a scene
I don't cook, I don't clean
But let me tell you, I got this ring (ayy, ayy)

Gobble me, swallow me, drip down the side of me (yeah)
Quick, jump out 'fore you let it get inside of me (yeah)
I tell him where to put it, never tell him where I'm 'bout to be
I run down on him 'fore I have a nigga running me

is no fucking problem. Come the fuck on. There is more freedom in movies, TV, and music then there has even been. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The main point i make when people cry about "you cant make blazing saddles anymore" is no fucking duh. It's a take on spaghetti westerns. Those aren't a thing anymore. Nobody would get it.

These folks seem more like the type that are laughing because "omg he said a bad word", rather than seeing that the humor is in how ridiculous those people look/sound.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhornsnus said:

Growing up f*g/f****t were the insults and anything/everything that mildly annoyed you was "gay". Queer wasn't even a thing, which is why as an adult I used the word in writing and speaking, as I read the word in literature. To mean, weird and quirky and outside of the norm.

Same thing for gay. I like to sing Streets of Laredo and talk about "once in the saddle, used to go gay" loud and watch my teens cringe. To me, it means a carefree happiness these days. 

So I guess I've reclaimed the reclaimation of the words that once were denigrated?

ask older gay men, especially those that might be a bit more effeminate in nature and you'll find that "queer" absolutely was (and may still be to them) a slur. I'm 48 and it was a slur when I was a young teen too.

Its odd to reply to Derka’s premise seriously. But, if a human being is never offended, then they might have a mental disorder.

They could have one or more of a variety of disorders where they feel nothing or are disassociated from reality.

Having a trained response to suppress or mute a response, could be normal at times. And is probably what we all have to do on a regular basis as a coping mechanism.

Some people get offended, suppress a response, and commit self harm or react poorly at a later moment. It’s where therapy can help, so a person can deal with frustration more directly and effectively.

• Hook 'Em 2