being offended

59 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Water Head Retard?

I know I'm gonna regret asking, but dammit I'll bite...

What exactly does that mean?  And more importantly, how did you arrive at Water Head? 

i'd heard someone else say it and at the time i liked it. since then i've seen that the term came from kids at chernobyl who suffered devastating after effects which included the swelling of their heads as they filled with water. i never used the term again after seeing where it came from. 

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s amazing how many people don’t know what “offended” means. If something annoys, angers, or upsets you, you are by definition “offended”. Which is why it’s ironic to hear people complain about how easily offended people are nowadays.

I don’t know any other poster that gets their intelligence insulted as much as I do, which is ironic given by most any metric I’d wager I’m one of the smartest people that posts here. I just let pretty much all of it slide off. THAT’S not being easily offended. OP has a reputation of the exact opposite. 

Repped but:

Are You Sure Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nivek said:

This discussion point is absurd.  People are not all good/bad.   This idea that everyone has to pass a purity test to be able to make a change for the better is childishly simplistic.   Lyndon B. Johnson was both a racist and a civil rights hero.  

The R-word discussion has been on here before, he just refused to adapt to the change in society and here. 

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. The point I was making is that people are making fun of disabled people by calling them hot wheels, while at the same time being outraged at others who make fun of or disparage others. It’s incredibly hypocritical. 

To put it in terms people like this can better understand, it’s like saying its acceptable to call a black person the n word as long as you believe they are a terrible person. Can you really not see how that is wrong and hypocritical? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

same, and why i've decided to discuss it. i was blown away by how many people on this site insisted that the word "retarded" should never be used anywhere, in any context. i'm just like, "really? i thought we all loved and celebrated norm around here. how can both of those things be?"

also, this thread is reminding me that there was that one guy who posted here who owned a bbq trailer, and from everything i read this guy was a miserable, horrible, sad, abusive drunk. he was never not drinking, he loved to cuss people out and make scenes in public, he had countless contentious relationships with former friends, family, and coworkers, and he genuinely seemed to be one of the saddest, angriest, most foul mouthed cunts on earth, and yet shaggy just worshipped him. shaggy worshipped this guy for being that way, like it was soooo cool to be a sad, volatile, angry old drunk. all of the same people are now clutching their pearls over someone saying "that's retarded". shit is wild lol.

How about just saying what you want to say and not worrying about it? Especially on here where the majority of people don't even know you in real life. Even the ones that do probably you don't ever see or talk to in person except a couple times a year in football or basketball season. 

I occasionally use the word cunt because it's a perfect word for certain situations and where I originated in Europe is a cheeky saying that isn't a big deal. If someone wants to be offended by it on the internet then go ahead and be offended. If you worry about every little stupid ass thing that every person on the internet may be offended by you'll lose your mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

that strips out context, intentionally.  that's a big part of the conversation here.  weighing online dialogue against testimony before a court, teaching in front of 3rd graders, and meeting your in-laws misses the point.

I don’t think so, we are talking about words or slurs that are connected with real people as an inalienable part of their identity and who they are. 

These aren’t vulgarities or crass interjections, if I had too much to drink at casual dinner and repeatedly dropped “fuck” or “cock” or “pussy” in front of young kids or the delicate, I’d apologize to the hostess the next day, maybe with a note or flowers depending on how nice of a rug I spoiled or how bad my outburst was. I’d expect not to get a return invite. I’d be appropriately embarrassed and move on. And it wouldn’t make a bit of difference if some of the attendees were in fact dickheads or assholes or shitheels. 

If I dropped a racial, ethnic, homophobic, or similar slur— ESPECIALLY if a member of said group is there—- I’d be mortified and would expect to be seriously persona non grata in that social circle and I’d just pray my awful behavior didn’t get to my workplace or close family. 

I think most honest people can realize that this word is far more like the second example than the first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. The point I was making is that people are making fun of disabled people by calling them hot wheels, while at the same time being outraged at others who make fun of or disparage others. It’s incredibly hypocritical. 

To put it in terms people like this can better understand, it’s like saying its acceptable to call a black person the n word as long as you believe they are a terrible person. Can you really not see how that is wrong and hypocritical? 

That’s a bad analogy. “Hot wheels” isn’t a slur and has no historical significance. It rose to popularity in reference to one specific person. It doesn’t mean it’s ok or not rude but it’s absurd to equate it to the n-word. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, Helobious said:

That’s a bad analogy. “Hot wheels” isn’t a slur and has no historical significance. It rose to popularity in reference to one specific person. It doesn’t mean it’s ok or not rude but it’s absurd to equate it to the n-word. 

retarded isn't a slur, it's a medical diagnosis, and simply an updated version of words like idiot, moron, and imbecile. people can use it as a slur, but the word in and of itself is not a slur, which the n word is.

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes, because he is a cruel hypocritical piece of shit. Sorry CR, but I didn't bring it up. He deserves far worse than a childish insult. Again, context. Like someone said earlier, say what you want, but don't be surprised if someone thinks you're an asshole. If someone thinks I'm an asshole for my opinion of the Texas governor, I'm completely cool with that, because that person is almost certainly someone who I don't care to impress. 

When we're talking words that demean, offend, talk down to, etc., it seems like you're attaching a judgement not only to the word itself and its acceptability but also the person upon which that word is being directed.  A word considered "offensive" against one is perfectly acceptable against another if they don't stack up to your judgement of if they're an asshole?

Playing this string out, I'm assuming from your post above that you lean left, is the N-word acceptable to use RE: Clarence Thomas?  Certainly you see him as an "asshole?"

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

retarded isn't a slur, it's a medical diagnosis, and simply an updated version of words like idiot, moron, and imbecile. people can use it as a slur, but the word in and of itself is not a slur, which the n word is.

Did you bother to click on the link that @956 Worldwide posted from the Special Olympics?

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

This medical diagnosis thingy is not your best argument, all things considered.  

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i await the moral outrage aimed at this despicable post. 

It sounds like it offended you. Do we need to consider context?

But, yeah, really stupid post and it has been ignored by everyone on the thread.

3 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

When we're talking words that demean, offend, talk down to, etc., it seems like you're attaching a judgement not only to the word itself and its acceptability but also the person upon which that word is being directed.  A word considered "offensive" against one is perfectly acceptable against another if they don't stack up to your judgement of if they're an asshole?

Playing this string out, I'm assuming from your post above that you lean left, is the N-word acceptable to use RE: Clarence Thomas?  Certainly you see him as an "asshole?"

I've said some racially disparaging things about old Clarence in certain circles and with certain contexts, but never the n-word. See @Helobious post above for a pretty succinct statement of the difference. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is actually a good point.  Fat Hispanic person belly-slams your wife to the ground, you shouldn't use any derogatory slurs about Hispanics/Latinos/Mexicans, IMHO.  But you wanna say, "Hey you Carlos Mencia looking mother-fucker, apologize to my wife..."  If you were to ask a wheelchair-bound Texan if they minded the term "Hot Wheels" in reference to only Greg Abbott, you'd be hard pressed to find a single one who thought anything other than the "crippled asshat who lives to make my affordable access to PT/OT more difficult?"  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I prefer “Dead Scalia’s Ebony Hand Puppet” or “Uncle Ruckus”

Now you tell me the historic use of ‘hot wheels’ to denigrate a marginalized group.   

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Again, this is a horrible analogy. Calling the guy a gimp or a retard would be more analagous. This is more like calling a one eyed person fetty wop or something. It’s very targeted and specific. It doesn’t make it right or ok, but it’s not the same as calling someone a historically significant and widely used slur 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My sister had Down Syndrome, and technically, she was retarded. But I never had a problem using it or hearing it used to describe someone who said or did something dumb/stupid.

Because my sister damn sure wasn't dumb. She taught me quite a few times that just because she was slow, it didn't mean she was a fool.

Not everyone who has/had a special needs family member is offended by simple words.

So if you want to use it, use it. If you don't like hearing it, then so be it. Add it to the list of other things you didn't like that day. Either way it don't a shit. Live your life.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

What sucks is dealing with that at work. I don't know 100% if it is a guy wanting to be a girl, a manly looking girl, a girly looking man - basically I don't know anything about the situation. So basically, I need to guess right without asking which would be rude. I guess nowadays I need to put it on the questionnaire and review it beforehand.

Had this happen at work late last year. A colleague went from Nick to Cassandra and I had no clue. Got a little talking to about that because evidently some fuck heads were being assholes about not calling her Cassandra. I just had no idea it happened and called it a leadership failure for not communicating to our team about the change. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I prefer “Dead Scalia’s Ebony Hand Puppet” or “Uncle Ruckus”

Now you tell me the historic use of ‘hot wheels’ to denigrate a marginalized group.   

A very attractive female who is in a wheel chair.

"Damn I'd love to get with hot wheels over there."

See hot wheels, hot

A synonym for "Beat That."

This is because almost all of the "Hot Wheels" commercials constantly shout the phrase, so much in fact, that the two have become interchangeable.

*random person is sniped by n00b*

n00b: Hot Wheels!

See beat that, n00b, owned, gotcha, snipe, haha, nubluva

An annoying paraplegic that uses her disability for pity. I.E. Cel.

Oh, Hot Wheels? I hate her.

37 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Semantics.  I think you know better and you're just being argumentative.  The word "negro" is in Webster's dictionary but there would be a lot of issues if I call every black person I met that.  Depending on context and tone especially.  

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

This reminds me of fundamentalists who claim that Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, which includes the content that Moses was the humblest man who ever lived.

You’re telling me that the guy who fumbled and dropped the third tablet of commandments was responsible enough to write for the Bible?  Pffft. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Semantics.  I think you know better and you're just being argumentative.  The word "negro" is in Webster's dictionary but there would be a lot of issues if I call every black person I met that.  Depending on context and tone especially.  

And then try and use Negroid.  Some words just need to not be said.   Webster's defintions.

Negro

noun

Ne·gro ˈnē-(ˌ)grō 

pluralNegroes
dated, often offensive : a person of Black African ancestry

dated, often offensive : a member of a group of people formerly considered to constitute a race (see RACE entry 1 sense 1a) of humans having African ancestry and classified according to physical traits (such as dark skin pigmentation)

Negro adjective dated, often offensive
Negroid   adjective or noun
 or less commonly negroid
dated, often offensive
Negroness   noun dated, often offensive
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s amazing to see people try to defend their “hot wheels” slur and unconscionable behavior by trying to couch it in terms like “context”. Racists everywhere would be proud of the pretzel bending logic. 

I think I understand the rules now, and have developed a handy useful guide for those of you blissfully unaware of the proper conditions for disparaging those with a disability, or really anyone with an affliction of some sort.

The Politically Opinionated Person’s Guide to Disparagement and Slurs

1. Does the person have something about them physically or ethnically or race related you can make fun of? Fat? Minority? Disability? Yes! Check. Go to next step  

2. Is there a strong historical significance to the slur or disparagement? No. Great, check. Go to next step.  

3. Is it a person you disagree with or believe is a bad person? Yes! Check. Go to next step.

4. Is the slur witty? Yes! Check. 

You may use “hot wheels” and other compliant slurs, AND continue to fight for justice for all the other people with afflictions other than what you chose to disparage. 

I’m so glad we were able to clear that up. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s amazing to see people try to defend their “hot wheels” slur and unconscionable behavior by trying to couch it in terms like “context”. Racists everywhere would be proud of the pretzel bending logic. 

I think I understand the rules now, and have developed a handy useful guide for those of you blissfully unaware of the proper conditions for disparaging those with a disability, or really anyone with an affliction of some sort.

The Politically Opinionated Person’s Guide to Disparagement and Slurs

1. Does the person have something about them physically or ethnically or race related you can make fun of? Fat? Minority? Disability? Yes! Check. Go to next step  

2. Is there a strong historical significance to the slur or disparagement? No. Great, check. Go to next step.  

3. Is it a person you disagree with or believe is a bad person? Yes! Check. Go to next step.

4. Is the slur witty? Yes! Check. 

You may use “hot wheels” and other compliant slur so, AND continue to fight for justice for all the other people with afflictions other than what you chose to disparage. 

I’m so glad we were able to clear that up. 

Thumbs-up-asian GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I've said some racially disparaging things about old Clarence in certain circles and with certain contexts, but never the n-word. See @Helobious post above for a pretty succinct statement of the difference. 

42 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This is actually a good point.  Fat Hispanic person belly-slams your wife to the ground, you shouldn't use any derogatory slurs about Hispanics/Latinos/Mexicans, IMHO.  But you wanna say, "Hey you Carlos Mencia looking mother-fucker, apologize to my wife..."  If you were to ask a wheelchair-bound Texan if they minded the term "Hot Wheels" in reference to only Greg Abbott, you'd be hard pressed to find a single one who thought anything other than the "crippled asshat who lives to make my affordable access to PT/OT more difficult?"  

Go into your local VA to someone in a wheelchair and say "How's it going 'Hot Wheels'" and see what type of reaction you get.

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Again, this is a horrible analogy. Calling the guy a gimp or a retard would be more analagous. This is more like calling a one eyed person fetty wop or something. It’s very targeted and specific. It doesn’t make it right or ok, but it’s not the same as calling someone a historically significant and widely used slur 

A slur is a slur is a slur.  Whether you're denigrating and stereotyping a whole group of people or an individual you particularly don't like the outcome is the same: you're using language to cut someone down.  The only difference in your distinction is your value judgement on the person's worth and if you agree with their politics.  When something is "ok for me but not for thee" that's called hypocrisy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Go into your local VA to someone in a wheelchair and say "How's it going 'Hot Wheels'" and see what type of reaction you get.

A slur is a slur is a slur.  Whether you're denigrating and stereotyping a whole group of people or an individual you particularly don't like the outcome is the same: you're using language to cut someone down.  The only difference in your distinction is your value judgement on the person's worth and if you agree with their politics.  When something is "ok for me but not for thee" that's called hypocrisy.

So you maintain that calling someone hot wheels is as bad as calling someone the n-word? Ever see that John mulaney bit about comparing the badness of words when you won’t even say one of them? 

I see the offenders just continue to dig a deeper and deeper hole, rather than just admit, for once in their life, that they are wrong and pledge to do better. 

Greg Abbott is a terrible person, but when you use that slur, you disparage all of those in wheel chairs, just like fatty, n word, slant eyed, etc. It is the continued use of the term that reinforces the use of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Hot wheels is a terrible person and gets off on actively making peoples lives worse.  He used his disability and his position to make sure that others wouldn't have the same chances he did. 

I have never once called another person who is in a wheel chair "hot wheels" and never would. 

I wouldn't refer to him as hot wheels if he was a better person.  He's a fucking bully.

Also I'm an adult who contains multitudes.  Some of them I am fine with and others I don't like. But one of those multitudes believes that calling a bullying cunt, hot wheels is fine.

Again, making fun of someone's physical disability or shortcomings is perfectly acceptable if they are a "bad person."  It's not enough to simply call out the actions they take which we don't like, or their stances on issues - we can poke fun at their disability because they're a bully.

Do you know how piss poor this is and just not care?  Or do you justify it because "the other side does it too," and "I really don't like the Mean Governor?"

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I see the offenders just continue to dig a deeper and deeper hole, rather than just admit, for once in their life, that they are wrong and pledge to do better. 

Greg Abbott is a terrible person, but when you use that slur, you disparage all of those in wheel chairs, just like fatty, n word, slant eyed, etc. It is the continued use of the term that reinforces the use of it. 

What if I call Greg Abbott a retard?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2