being offended

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

fuck off GIF

i didn't even read that shit man I just breezed past it, I don't know the specifics

how many of y'all are going to engage me only to eventually announce that you refuse to read my responses? LOL. way to prove that you're the adult here. can't even handle a differing opinion. 

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

What was the context in the basketball thread?

I called society retarded.

I'll be more cognizant of my use of the word in the future - I honestly didn't realize that so many people here take offense from it. I had a retarded great uncle who passed away a couple years ago. I have a cousin with a rather severe disability that affects him physically and mentally. 

I don't equate the way I used it with disparaging the disabled community - and that's something that I've never even considered doing my entire life. I also don't find it to be a particularly problematic term when describing something that's dumb. Those are my opinions - my opinions may change over time. If someone calls the software they have to download for their printer "retarded" I'm not going to think less of that person. If someone calls someone a faggot or drops a hard r - yeah - that's immediately going to affect how I view them in a substantial way. 

Different strokes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You wrecked the House of Dragons thread too.  We all said "yea, show isn't perfect but can we discuss it without you butting in?"  Yes, I know there's an ignore button. 

no, y'all wrecked the thread because you absolutely could not handle hearing any criticism of the show. exactly the same as the rick and morty thread. i mean look at your own words that i'm quoting here- you and everyone else wanted me to leave the thread simply because i didn't blindly fellate the show. that's not me wrecking the thread, that's a whole gang of y'all being childish and hypersensitive.

2 hours ago, Orale said:

I rarely get offended by anything. But I feel protective of those in society who are vulnerable. When I hear someone use cruel language that has historically been used to oppress and demean a vulnerable group, I'm not going to get in their face (assuming they're not actually using it towards someone in that group directly), but I sure as hell will think that person is a piece of shit and think much less of their character. I'm far from perfect and I think people can change and improve, so I try not to shame others or even judge them too harshly in my mind. But I think it's fair and healthy to be offended by certain language and behavior if its motive is to be cruel.

I think I sorta agree but I think it’s one thing to not want to be called by certain language if that has been used to describe your “group”. But quite another to say ok no one ever can say that word when describing anything else. I can’t exactly articulate why that bothers me but it does. 

Don’t want to say something, cool, but that doesn’t give one the “moral” right to tell others how to speak. A lot of shit is offensive to certain groups

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1

Shit, when I sent my first post, I wasn’t aware that you were Derka.   

Now that I’m aware, I’m not gonna reply anymore because whatever I say obviously means 1000 times more to you than any comment of mine means to me.

I like Norm’s moth joke tho

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how many of y'all are going to engage me only to eventually announce that you refuse to read my responses? LOL. way to prove that you're the adult here. can't even handle a differing opinion. 

i didn't engage with you on that thread at all

*edit* (quoted wrong thread)

Edited by Celery Man

56 minutes ago, royiv said:

You missed the point that language evolves. Some things that were acceptable 100 years ago aren’t acceptable today just like some things that were acceptable 20 years ago aren’t acceptable today. One of the beautiful things about humans is that we’re constantly evolving and learning. 

Y’all don’t really get to be arbiters of “evolution” though and that’s kind of the point 

Edited by achooloco

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I do wonder about the future of comedy given that historically a lot of the humor was at the expense of someone else. In 50 years will it be a completely humorless society with people walking around in misery with blank looks on their faces?

Wait, did I just describe the last ten years of Texas football?

46 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i'm not a comedian or really qualified to speak in an educated way about it but I believe there is discussion about how punching down is cheap and for hacks. I don't think that you need to make fun of disabled, marginalized, etc to be funny

I’m turning into an old, but I find Jerry Clower to be hilarious. He’s my favorite comedian. The only class I remember him punching down was his own family- maybe that’s why I enjoyed him so much…. 

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Water Head Retard?

I know I'm gonna regret asking, but dammit I'll bite...

What exactly does that mean?  And more importantly, how did you arrive at Water Head? 

It’s an old-timey/folksy (insert the synonym for offensive you prefer so as not to offend people who are offended when others call their language offensive) alternative to hydrocephaly. Which is often accompanied by cognitive disabilities and physical impairment, and swelling of the skull. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no, y'all wrecked the thread because you absolutely could not handle hearing any criticism of the show. exactly the same as the rick and morty thread. i mean look at your own words that i'm quoting here- you and everyone else wanted me to leave the thread simply because i didn't blindly fellate the show. that's not me wrecking the thread, that's a whole gang of y'all being childish and hypersensitive.

Actually the thread was fine, without you.  It was a good discussion.  Here's the thing, you don't have to like everything that everyone else likes.  You don't need an opinion on everything.  

I think there's a thread on country music?  Generally not my thing, though there are some catchy tunes.  But I don't feel the need to go in and wreck it either.  I  just leave it be. 

We're having normal discussions on the plot of the show and your attitude is "man, this show sucks, why even discuss it.  I'm so disappointed."  We acknowledged it several times, yet you still wanted to chime in.  I know, free country, free surly, free ignore button.  

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I honestly didn't realize that so many people here take offense from it.

same, and why i've decided to discuss it. i was blown away by how many people on this site insisted that the word "retarded" should never be used anywhere, in any context. i'm just like, "really? i thought we all loved and celebrated norm around here. how can both of those things be?"

also, this thread is reminding me that there was that one guy who posted here who owned a bbq trailer, and from everything i read this guy was a miserable, horrible, sad, abusive drunk. he was never not drinking, he loved to cuss people out and make scenes in public, he had countless contentious relationships with former friends, family, and coworkers, and he genuinely seemed to be one of the saddest, angriest, most foul mouthed cunts on earth, and yet shaggy just worshipped him. shaggy worshipped this guy for being that way, like it was soooo cool to be a sad, volatile, angry old drunk. all of the same people are now clutching their pearls over someone saying "that's retarded". shit is wild lol.

• Drool 1

If the ‘passage of time changing what offends people and altering what’s uttered in the public sphere’ is still vexing you, imagine SNL running this skit today. 

Personally, I’m offended by the lack of quality average white guy slurs. Cracker, ofay, peckerwood none of it lands.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Let me practice a bit - how has your little sexual issue been going lately, Mr./Ms. closetohumping?

Someone told you I had a small Wang?   Damn that south Austin’s mom  Anyways not sure if that's appropriate office talk.

14 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Y’all don’t really get to be arbiters of “evolution” though and that’s kind of the point 

That’s right.  You can say whatever you want  whenever you want.  Eff the pc mob!! 

Edited by closetohumping

17 minutes ago, achooloco said:

I don't know who "y'all" is referring to in this post, but say whatever words you like. Just don't get up in arms when someone takes exception to you using a word that a lot of folks have moved on from. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Someone told you I had a small Wang?   Damn that south Austin’s mom  Anyways not sure if that's appropriate office talk.

That’s right.  You can say whatever you want  whenever you want.  Eff the pc mob!! 

I thought we were talking about ED. You have a small wang, too?

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

I don't know who "y'all" is referring to in this post, but say whatever words you like. Just don't get up in arms when someone takes exception to you using a word that a lot of folks have moved on from. 

I don't know what line of work a lot of folks are in but that's automatic termination and potential blackballing at my work. Yes, I understand I don't work here.  Nor would I want to.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Ed?  No that's another one of her lovers.

It’s amazing how many people don’t know what “offended” means. If something annoys, angers, or upsets you, you are by definition “offended”. Which is why it’s ironic to hear people complain about how easily offended people are nowadays.

I don’t know any other poster that gets their intelligence insulted as much as I do, which is ironic given by most any metric I’d wager I’m one of the smartest people that posts here. I just let pretty much all of it slide off. THAT’S not being easily offended. OP has a reputation of the exact opposite. 

• Haha 7
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, achooloco said:

If “y’all” means society at large, yes they do.   

Which reminds me if a funny cartoon involving Opus the penguin and colored people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t know any other poster that gets their intelligence insulted as much as I do, which is ironic given by most any metric I’d wager I’m one of the smartest people that posts here. I just let pretty much all of it slide off. THAT’S not being easily offended. OP has a reputation of the exact opposite. 

This reminds me of fundamentalists who claim that Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, which includes the content that Moses was the humblest man who ever lived.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Such a pet peeve when people say this, like do you and those who say this even watch TV or standup these days? There's all sorts of jokes about gays, minorities, including use of otherwise "offensive" words, the difference is the context. Fifty years ago there were lots of offensive stereotype jokes being told out of cruelty, now its usually in a form that isn't meant to be mean, just funny. Laughing with you instead of at you. Or in some cases, like Pineapple Express and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, in a way that actually points out why it's offensive and shouldn't be said, and that only really dumb people or assholes would do it in that manner. Even Norm, outside the context of his era, always said stuff like that with a shit eating grin on his face, almost an acknowledgement that this is really mean and stupid, that's why its funny. Chappelle's trans stuff was different because the original version wasn't that funny and felt personal and cruel. It would have quickly subsided if he just moved on, but he instead decided to double then triple down on it, and the last special he did, they weren't even jokes, just a "I have a trans friend" monologue. The context there was off, and even so, he's far from "cancelled," still making a shit ton of money, and is still otherwise hilarious. Watch some John Mulaney, Daniel Tosh, or any of the people from the old Comedy Central Roasts who are still performing today, super offensive, in a funny but not cruel context. Watch South Park, Family Guy, Always Sunny, Silicon Valley, dozens of other shows that use language in a humorous context. That's what's different. I like Jerry Seinfeld, but he's gone on a rant like this too, and it drives me crazy. Sounds like an old Boomer who just doesn't get how and why the context is different, and pretending that all of it is prohibited. Just simply not true. 

i agree with this and i think a lot of comedians feel scared to go into particular topics.  basically, if you're talented enough to be listed above, you can get away with it.  if you are a middling schlub, you play it safe.  no point here other than that is how it seems to be evolving right now as people feel out the boundaries.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ed?  No that's another one of her lovers.

See @shadow_operative, this is how you have a civilized discussion without being offended. We're both British gents, though.

13 hours ago, royiv said:

Edit: phone being stupid. I’ll write a response in a second

I’d advise the opposite, don’t like a word then don’t get up in arms when used. You don’t get to control others speech. 

Edited by achooloco
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Posters on surly call Greg Abbott hot wheels, the same posters who express outrage at racism, homophobia, etc. It’s just example 5,000 how people adjust their own moral compass to fit their own world political views. And they somehow justify it in their own minds. Whatever. 

This discussion point is absurd.  People are not all good/bad.   This idea that everyone has to pass a purity test to be able to make a change for the better is childishly simplistic.   Lyndon B. Johnson was both a racist and a civil rights hero.  

The R-word discussion has been on here before, he just refused to adapt to the change in society and here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think anyone that uses that word as a term of denigration should have to deal with their intellectually impaired daughter coming home from school and asking why someone would call her that on the playground.

It’s a good rule, would you use (word)  if someone who it describes and had been subject to it was in the room with you?

Not many of us would sling it around at dinner where one attendee was intellectually impaired, not even to describe a movie or TV show or the NBA 3 point competition. And I’d say even fewer of us would double down if we did and got called out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i agree with this and i think a lot of comedians feel scared to go into particular topics.  basically, if you're talented enough to be listed above, you can get away with it.  if you are a middling schlub, you play it safe.  no point here other than that is how it seems to be evolving right now as people feel out the boundaries.

Comedy has always been hard and only really good from a few super talented people. People who aren't smart or talented enough to understand context or write jokes in that context probably aren't going to be funny in other contexts either. I'm usually fascinated when really talented comedians tell stories about their jokes, how they failed when they test material, and that minor tweaks to a word here and there made all the difference. It's a tough industry, but if a comedian is too "scared" to make jokes about sensitive subjects, my guess is they're not talented enough to succeed in general. I don't think that "clean" comedians go that route because their afraid to be edgy, it's more their personality, and they have the skill and talent to convey it into standup comedy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

This discussion point is absurd.  People are not all good/bad.   This idea that everyone has to pass a purity test to be able to make a change for the better is childishly simplistic.   Lyndon B. Johnson was both a racist and a civil rights hero.  

The R-word discussion has been on here before, he just refused to adapt to the change in society and here. 

Are you saying "hot wheels" is acceptable or no?

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Comedy has always been hard and only really good from a few super talented people. People who aren't smart or talented enough to understand context or write jokes in that context probably aren't going to be funny in other contexts either. I'm usually fascinated when really talented comedians tell stories about their jokes, how they failed when they test material, and that minor tweaks to a word here and there made all the difference. It's a tough industry, but if a comedian is too "scared" to make jokes about sensitive subjects, my guess is they're not talented enough to succeed in general. I don't think that "clean" comedians go that route because their afraid to be edgy, it's more their personality, and they have the skill and talent to convey it into standup comedy. 

for sure.  jim gaffigan isn't clean because he's bad at being a comedian.  he clean because he's good at it.  that is a different thing though.  those that want to go to the dark side seem to be those that are already established as high talents.

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Just watched the latest Jim Jefferies Netflix special last night.  IMO... he does a great job of being obvious that he is playing the part of the bigoted moron and making fun of that.  I also enjoyed his lead-in to the bit on trans issues... "I have no issue with trans people, but I do like press."  

I'm genuinely and honestly impressed this thread has already denigrated into a "But my right to free speech!  Muh Freedoms!"  

And yes, 'Hot Wheels' is now 100% acceptable IMHO.  

Remind me to be outraged and sling around "retard" the next time the Special Olympics convenes in South Texas for the barbed-wire installation event. 

Edited by YGIFS

Interesting, quasi-academic article on how 'retardation' originated as a word intended to replace prior terms about the spectrum of mental capabilities that had become pejorative.  And how the term mentally retarded then devolved into an insult and has fallen out of use as a result.  

The Rise and Fall of ‘Mentally Retarded’ | by Rick Hodges | Human Parts (archive.ph)

1*OhhtMdBevUtA5T8DK7hyoQ.png

Edited by Disco Strangler
spelling

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

relevant to the conversation, there are also arguments to be made that some of the White House tapes where LBJ can be heard saying extremely racist things are better understood as him being a master manipulator than as him revealing his honest opinions and feelings. I mean, I'm sure he also held a lot of racist beliefs and likely earnestly used words in ways that are no longer acceptable in the slightest. But it's also an interesting wrinkle to the 'how is it appropriate to use words' to consider someone like LBJ using awful racist language when talking to an awful racist lawmaker to get him to pass laws for the benefit of the kinds of people who are the target of that awful racist language.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s a good rule, would you use (word)  if someone who it describes and had been subject to it was in the room with you?

Not many of us would sling it around at dinner where one attendee was intellectually impaired, not even to describe a movie or TV show or the NBA 3 point competition. And I’d say even fewer of us would double down if we did and got called out. 

that strips out context, intentionally.  that's a big part of the conversation here.  weighing online dialogue against testimony before a court, teaching in front of 3rd graders, and meeting your in-laws misses the point.

15 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Are you saying "hot wheels" is acceptable or no?

Yes, because he is a cruel hypocritical piece of shit. Sorry CR, but I didn't bring it up. He deserves far worse than a childish insult. Again, context. Like someone said earlier, say what you want, but don't be surprised if someone thinks you're an asshole. If someone thinks I'm an asshole for my opinion of the Texas governor, I'm completely cool with that, because that person is almost certainly someone who I don't care to impress. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1