"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

48 minutes ago, orange dream said:

two tangents to this are:

1. Hotel, restaurant or club who adds a "service fee" and then points out that it is NOT a tip or gratuity.  WTF is it then?  Who gets that $$

2. Pizza places that add a "delivery fee" but make sure to say that it does not go to the driver, etc.  OK... same questions as above!!

I noticed one place I ordered pizza from during the pandemic was charging a $1.50 packaging fee for the box the pizza came in if you ordered delivery, but not if you ordered it to be picked up. Um...don't you still have to put it in a box?

Edited by Deej

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

I noticed one place I ordered pizza from during the pandemic was charging a $1.50 packaging fee for the box the pizza came in if you ordered delivery, but not if you ordered it to be picked up. Um...don't you still have to put it in a box?

Probably short on drivers but still wanted to sell as many pizzas as possible.  Encouraging the pickup during peak Covid makes a little sense.  They all get somewhat of a pass from me for whatever they did during that timeframe.  They continuation of said practices makes a lot less sense  to me today.

The last 2 bills I got had recommended amounts below the tip line for 18%, 22% and 25%. I usually tip 20%+ UNLESS they use the total amount which includes the tax in the total when calculating their recommended tip %... Sorry, I'm not tipping you on the total including the taxes... 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

The last 2 bills I got had recommended amounts below the tip line for 18%, 22% and 25%. I usually tip 20%+ UNLESS they use the total amount which includes the tax in the total when calculating their recommended tip %... Sorry, I'm not tipping you on the total including the taxes... 

Huh, I haven't really paid attention to that. Will be on the lookout for that. Fuck tipping on taxes. I use to try to compartmentalize the alcohol portion of the bill as well, but decided that it just wasn't worth thinking about. I am tempted to reconsider in this day where I am paying $15+ for a fucking margarita.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

My wife and I called in a pickup order to Papa Murphy’s (fuck off, it’s super convenient) from the road as we were returning home this afternoon. They said it would be ready in 20 minutes, but wifey asked if it could be ready sooner. They obliged, so I tipped them a couple-three bucks (also because the lady at the cash register said the workers get 100% of the tips). No biggie, we will survive.

They also had the tip choices starting at 15% with no preselected tip, so I wasn’t triggered by any of that nonsense. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

South Lamar
https://drafthouse.com/austin/theater/south-lamar

It’s only at South Lamar. If you go to the website and scroll all the way down it’s at the very bottom. None of the other theaters have this on their websites in Austin.

Are the patrons of that location notoriously stingy with their tips?

There is a reason that most private country and downtown clubs put language like this on their checkout tabs:

"The service charge calculated on all food and beverage transactions is applied toward offering employees a higher hourly rate and used toward offsetting costs associated with employee benefits."

There has been significant litigation as to whether the club member had the expectation that the service charge was going directly to the server or if that the charge was, in effect, additional member dues or assessments. 

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

There is a reason that most private country and downtown clubs put language like this on their checkout tabs:

"The service charge calculated on all food and beverage transactions is applied toward offering employees a higher hourly rate and used toward offsetting costs associated with employee benefits."

There has been significant litigation as to whether the club member had the expectation that the service charge was going directly to the server or if that the charge was, in effect, additional member dues or assessments. 

We all know that isn't going in the pocket of the servers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do away with the tip employees $2.10 bullshit and pay the local minimum wage. Run your biz like anything else and figure out the finances to the business model. Tips then might migrate back to sanity. And fuck all these tackons. I know food costs for a pepperoni pizza or a cheeseburger or a plate of cheese enchiladas or a fucking biscuit. I’ll just stay the fuck home

• Hook 'Em 3

Was at a happy hour in Dallas a few weeks ago at a place called Bowl Games. Their bit is you can play a weird fucking game where you throw a football at bowling pins several yards away. Very unstable, but anyway... there's five of us, all of whom open separate tabs at the bar, so no waitress, but when I cash out, I was dinged a "large party" 18% auto-gratuity. Wtf?

Edited by Saint Austin
typo

Had dinner with the wife at Olamie last night (great place, recommend).  They put an automatic 20% "staff wellness" charge on top of everything (I think it was pre-tax, can't recall).  And in the folder with the bill, there's a nice little paper bookmark explaining the policy, that it's used for compensation, healthcare, etc.  It wasn't hidden -- they literally highlighted the line item on the bill, and provided the conspicuous bookmark explanation.

You can tip in addition to that, which I did (to make it a full 25% tip, my go-to these days).  But my wife sees the piddly dollar amount I wrote down relative to the tap and asks out loud "what the hell are you doing?"  I explain, and show her the ticket and bookmark.

I'm all about that approach.  I want to see staff paid a fair living wage.  If the way to do that is to functionally tack on 20% to all of your food and beverage prices, that makes sense (it's what should/would happen in tip world).  Then, let me tack something on if I want to reward exceptional service, or if I just generally like to tip a bit more.  For decent restaurants, I'd like to see this approach catch on (Salt & Time does the same, IIRC).

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Grimas said:

I was at a place for lunch the other day, and had this based on the pre-tax amount.

I always tip based on the post-tax amount because (1) I only look at the bottom line, and I'm too lazy to track down the pre-tax amount, and (2) who honestly gives a rat's ass--we're talking about 20% of 8.25%, which by my math is around 1.5%.  But I had already checked the "20%" box before figuring out that it was on the pre-tax amount.  If I had realized that earlier, I would have checked the 22% box.

So oops--the waiter lost out on $0.50.

40 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I always tip based on the post-tax amount because (1) I only look at the bottom line, and I'm too lazy

This is me. I've never looked at pre-tax, and very rarely do I subtract the cost of bottles of wine etc. Just too lazy, it's a few dollars difference at most.

Cross posting.  I still stand by what I've said: 

If you auto grat me, I will not tip more.

Waiters can be dirtbags yes.

Generally won't tip counter service.  Hard no on dry cleaners, fast food, etc.

Tip bartenders at least a buck a drink.

I tip post tax

I will tip on the wine as well. 

Crosspost, these are the types of people that ruin it for all of us.

image.thumb.png.042241530dbfdfd9dac0c449842a7008.png

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I tip post tax

Man, that's some bullshit right there.  

16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I tip post tax

His girlfriend must be a waitress serving jabronies like himself.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:10 PM, Ag with kids said:

IMG_9016.thumb.jpeg.7451cfacad275cdb37b9150d13dd36f5.jpeg

Awww...HELL NAH!!!!

Now they want to be tipped when WE do work???

On 8/2/2023 at 11:38 PM, closetohumping said:

I ain't tipping no commie robot.

It's also photoshopped. No Valero here has touch screen and especially not one with the black buttons on the side for selecting options. 

37 minutes ago, royiv said:

Are you serious? 

Yeah.  I'm serious.  Sometimes people are on a budget and just need to get out of the house for dinner or a drink.  Why pin it on them maybe the industry needs to change, but ask anyone server or bartender if they should get paid 20 bucks and hour and do away with tipping.  They will laugh in your face.  Most bartenders I know make upwards of 50 bucks an hour.  

And no I am not a bad tipper.  Last night I forgot my dinner so I had to order pizza because everything in downtown Seattle is closed after 10 PM.  For 18 bucks worth of food.  I got hit with a 8 dollar delivery charge and I tipped the guy 8 bucks.  

Yeah.  It sucks getting stiffed on a tip but that shit evens out.  For every no tipper there are 4 that tip more than 20 percent.  It's the nature of the industry.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah.  I'm serious.  Sometimes people are on a budget and just need to get out of the house for dinner or a drink.  Why pin it on them maybe the industry needs to change, but ask anyone server or bartender if they should get paid 20 bucks and hour and do away with tipping.  They will laugh in your face.  Most bartenders I know make upwards of 50 bucks an hour.  

And no I am not a bad tipper.  Last night I forgot my dinner so I had to order pizza because everything in downtown Seattle is closed after 10 PM.  For 18 bucks worth of food.  I got hit with a 8 dollar delivery charge and I tipped the guy 8 bucks.  

Yeah.  It sucks getting stiffed on a tip but that shit evens out.  For every no tipper there are 4 that tip more than 20 percent.  It's the nature of the industry.

You have a fucked up perspective. Someone who goes out to eat at a sit down restaurant should expect to tip for a service received. In the case of example cited, the guy went out to eat, had no problem with the service and stiffed the server because he's a broke-ass asshole who couldn't add up menu prices in his head. Please explain to me how that's the server's fault. It doesn't matter what the other customers tipped. That's irrelevant. It's not my job to subsidize broke-ass assholes because I choose to be a generous tipper. 

Your pizza example is also dumb. You didn't plan ahead and got hit with a service fee because it was the only option available to you. You paid it instead of going without. Law of supply and demand. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The story was specifically about a sit down restaurant.  Not tip culture in general.  No you shouldn't go to a restaurant if you can't afford to tip.  If the industry ever changes, then you still wouldn't be able to eat at that restaurant because rather than a $100 food bill and $20 tip you are getting a $120 food bill.  So if anything the current industry is at his advantage.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, royiv said:

You have a fucked up perspective. Someone who goes out to eat at a sit down restaurant should expect to tip for a service received. In the case of example cited, the guy went out to eat, had no problem with the service and stiffed the server because he's a broke-ass asshole who couldn't add up menu prices in his head. Please explain to me how that's the server's fault. It doesn't matter what the other customers tipped. That's irrelevant. It's not my job to subsidize broke-ass assholes because I choose to be a generous tipper. 

Your pizza example is also dumb. You didn't plan ahead and got hit with a service fee because it was the only option available to you. You paid it instead of going without. Law of supply and demand. 

I also chose to tip 8 dollars on top of the service charge

Just now, FartingMonk said:

I also chose to tip 8 dollars on top of the service charge

Good for you. Why not just stiff them since someone else's tip will make up for it? 

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

He's paying what the restaurant has listed at the menu price.  If he chooses to tip that's on him.  It's not an obligation.  He is not breaking any law.  Oh but the social norms.  

Yeah, fuck those servers that have bills to pay.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Good for you. Why not just stiff them since someone else's tip will make up for it? 

Yeah, fuck those servers that have bills to pay.

When I was driving Uber.  Did I get mad if someone didn't tip me?  No.  Was I happy when someone tipped?  Yes.  But that's the industry.  People tip and people don't tip.  

12 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

When I was driving Uber.  Did I get mad if someone didn't tip me?  No.  Was I happy when someone tipped?  Yes.  But that's the industry.  People tip and people don't tip.  

You keep conflating sit down restaurants with other services.

I'm just saying.  I was part of the service industry.  In college I delivered pizzas.  One time I delivered 100 pizzas to UT for a party.  The people who took the pizza didn't tip.  I was pretty fucking pissed.  The next time I did it.  The dude tipped 200 bucks and then the person who actually paid for it had tipped 200.  As a server I've been stiffed by a church group but then the tips for the shift were super generous.   It happens

Just now, FartingMonk said:

Last thing I'm gonna say.  Sometimes people are just down in life and want to go out.  Why the fuck are we judging them.  

Cool. Sometimes I'm horny and just wanna fuck, so I'm gonna fuck a hooker and not pay. Or sometimes I wanna play golf but it's expensive so I'll just sneak on. Or maybe I'm thirsty and stressed but don't wanna pay, so I'll just steal a case of beer from HEB. Why the fuck judge me?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Cool. Sometimes I'm horny and just wanna fuck, so I'm gonna fuck a hooker and not pay. Or sometimes I wanna play golf but it's expensive so I'll just sneak on. Or maybe I'm thirsty and stressed but don't wanna pay, so I'll just steal a case of beer from HEB. Why the fuck judge me?

Haha.  So I remember you as a big gambler.  So there were nights I would go to Ember and tip the shit out of the people.  There are other nights.  I'm like fuck.... They gave me the same service because they knew when I was good they were good.  That story that guy was absolutely misjudged his spending.  It fucking happens.  

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

No he paid for the hooker.  He just didn't give her more.  He paid the advertised rate

7 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Last thing I'm gonna say.  Sometimes people are just down in life and want to go out.  Why the fuck are we judging them.  

Because they are 100% assholes.  What is your point?  That it's not illegal so it's fair game, or that it's okay to be an asshole to someone because someone unrelated was an asshole to you?

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Because they are 100% assholes.  What is your point?  That it's not illegal so it's fair game, or that it's okay to be an asshole to someone because someone unrelated was an asshole to you?

How are they being assholes?  The restaurant listed the price on the menu.  

9 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

How are they being assholes?  The restaurant listed the price on the menu.  

Well, for one he can't do math. He admitted he misjudged, but still ordered two appetizers and two entrees. He could have left off the apps and tipped the server. 

• Hook 'Em 2