2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

42 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

The difference is that Sarks classes have high OL/DL (both) and QB talent.

Stronk’s had DL talent.

Herman’s had skill position talent.

Sark’s classes seem well balanced 

or maybe I’m drinking the KoolAid

Right. His first two real classes had high end talent at every position except Edge and interior defensive line, and the 24 class now has the #1 ranked Edge and is probably about to have a commitment from a 5 star interior defensive lineman. I’m as bearish on Sark as anyone, but his talent accumulation has been super impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

The difference is that Sarks classes have high OL/DL (both) and QB talent.

Stronk’s had DL talent.

Herman’s had skill position talent.

Sark’s classes seem well balanced 

or maybe I’m drinking the KoolAid

Yeah. And reminder that Texas had zero players drafted in 2022. Whatever Herman’s classes were ranked, his roster resulted in a class without a single player drafted. (This was also Sark’s first roster.)

I don’t think we are going to see that under Sark. We had 5 guys drafted last year, and we are looking at almost certainly more than that next spring. He and his staff seem to have a better grasp on roster acquisition and development than Herman and his crew did. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

DJ Campbell will start this season. Looks pretty good Neto will do the same. Cam Williams is our starting RT if Jones didn’t come back for a 6th year.

But yes, the jury is definitely out for the DL. 

DJ has already asserted himself in the RG role. That LG battle seems very interesting.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Babers said it appears the guys Texas is reccruiting are versatile guys at corner and guys that can play either side. That is what makes Brooks/Muhammed so good and even Wilson.

I'd say that extends to pretty much every position on defense. Simmons may solely be buck (or whatever they call the WDE) and I don't think anyone should complain given our dire need for elite talent there, but virtually every other defensive recruit seems like they can play at least 2 different positions. That's a very good thing, imo. 

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

No, I get that, but do we believe that the Banks OLine haul happens without the NIL landscape changing? The timing was good for Sark and the program.

NIL aside, I think everyone can believe in what Flood has been recruiting instead of Herbie Handcock.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Our upside with Sark is greater than Herman, but I can’t help but think NIL/under the table payments heavily skews the recruiting to Sarks advantage. And that might be a sizeable advantage.

Thus far only Banks has come through with actual production from Sarks OL/DL commits.

Murphy/Sorrell committed to Herman, right? Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Collins. Thornton and Ovie were Sark guys.

It’s early in those guys careers, but they haven’t done much yet.

I think saying NIL doesn’t give Sark an advantage in recruiting and getting who he wants in the program would be turning a blind eye to the impact it has had so far. Herman didn’t have that but I guess we’ll never know how Herman would have handle recruiting with the NIL advantage, at least for the near future. On an equal playing field give me Sark over Herman in terms of recruiting. That includes the ability to hire guys like Flood, Choice, Banks, and Davis. My god the absolute shit show our Oline recruiting was under herb hand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

DJ Campbell will start this season. Looks pretty good Neto will do the same. Cam Williams is our starting RT if Jones didn’t come back for a 6th year.

The jury still is out on the Oline too. That says nothing about their ability or potential. Simply getting a starting role doesn’t prove much particularly when the incumbent starters struggled. They have yet to perform.

It is my expectation that the Oline will make a helluva jump this year. But the guard play is all projection. I also think the side opposite Sorrell will be solid as well.

21 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

No, I get that, but do we believe that the Banks OLine haul happens without the NIL landscape changing? The timing was good for Sark and the program.

We had lost banks to the Oregon NIL and cristobol. (And cam Williams I think) When cristobol left, the door opened for Texas to sell its NIL plus flood. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Levi said:

I think saying NIL doesn’t give Sark an advantage in recruiting and getting who he wants in the program would be turning a blind eye to the impact it has had so far. Herman didn’t have that but I guess we’ll never know how Herman would have handle recruiting with the NIL advantage, at least for the near future. On an equal playing field give me Sark over Herman in terms of recruiting. That includes the ability to hire guys like Flood, Choice, Banks, and Davis. My god the absolute shit show our Oline recruiting was under herb hand. 

The development of actual players on the roster is another key differentiator between Sark & Herman.  Christian Jones,  Keandre Coburn, Overshown, Jaylon Ford, & Jahdae Barron are just a few of the shining examples of players getting demonstrably better under this coaching staff. And while NIL and the transfer portal have obviously been pivotal for Sark his approach to recruiting is totally different from Herman.  Sark doesn't settle for lower ranked recruits when their target commits to another school.  You don't get to pounce on Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams when that coaching change happens unless you've not only maintained that relationship with them,  but didn't fill their spot with a lower tier player.  The latter being something Herman routinely did, particularly with Oline targets.  Sark and staff simply don't quit and they don't settle for lesser talent.  

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm not sure thats correct.  didnt both herman and charlie have higher ranked recruiting classes than sark has had?

No. Charlie wasn’t even close. Herman’s first two classes scored slightly lower than Sark’s, but they were also bad on the lines and full of DBs and WRS, not to mention bad character evals like Bru McCoy, Tyler Johnson, and Jake Smith that inflated his rankings. Herman missed 

• Hook 'Em 5

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We had the large ol class with Agbo, etc. We haven’t had that on the DL until this year. I’m pretty optimistic that we will have a number of those guys from the 2024 class develop. For me, the bigger question will be next year - We will probably need a 1 yr. portal rental as a stopgap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT predictions.  Everyone predicted 10-2/8-1

Spoiler
Inside Texas Roundtable: Season predictions, players of the year, top freshmen for the Longhorns
Joe Cook
08/26/23
Steve Sarkisian (Tim Warner/Getty Images)
With just seven days remaining until toe meets leather at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium, the Inside Texas staff offers predictions for the 2023 season, answers whether Texas will win the Big 12 in its final year as a member, and projects offensive and defensive standouts.
What do you think Texas’ 2023 regular season record is?
Eric Nahlin – 10-2. Texas should be favored in every game but Alabama. I think they learn how to close teams out this season.
Justin Wells – 10-2
Ian Boyd – 10-2
Joe Cook – 10-2. I think for the first time in a long time, Texas has the right combination of talent, depth, and coaching to where if any of those three are lacking on a particular Saturday the other two will be able to pick up the slack.
Gerry Hamilton – 10-2. The two losses will come out of four games: at Alabama, at TCU, Kansas State and Texas Tech.
Bobby Burton – 10-2
Paul Wadlington – 10-2
What do you think Texas’ 2023 Big 12 record is?
Eric Nahlin – 8-1. No clue who they would lose to but it wouldn’t keep them from achieving their goal of winning the conference on the way out the door.
Justin Wells – 8-1
Ian Boyd – 8-1
Joe Cook – 8-1.
Gerry Hamilton – 8-1. Wins over: Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, Houston, BYU, and Iowa State. Texas has to win 2 of 3 out of Kansas State, TCU, and Texas Tech
Bobby Burton – 8-1
Paul Wadlington – 8-1
Who do you see the Longhorns falling to (if anyone)?
Eric Nahlin – Maybe Alabama, TCU, Kansas State, or Texas Tech. But maybe not.
Justin Wells – Alabama and Kansas State.
Ian Boyd – Alabama on the road is probably 50-50. If they don’t drop that one they should definitely hit 10 or 11 wins. One of those late season road games would be another chance to stumble. Perhaps whichever game they’re most beat up while playing, maybe the trip to Ames against Iowa State who’s getting easy to overlook amidst their scandal.
SPONSORED CONTENT
This Brand New 100% Solar Energy Plan Offers You the Best Perks: See it Here
By Reliant
Joe Cook – Alabama and TCU. I just think it’s too tough to do what ULM did in 2007 against this version of Alabama in 2023. I also think there’s going to be a game where there’s a slip-up, and I envision it being on the road. That’ll be TCU this year. While the Frogs won’t be a Playoff team, they’ll still be quality and tough to beat in Fort Worth.
Gerry Hamilton – There are four games for me that will determine if Texas is 10-2 or 9-3: at Alabama, Kansas State, at TCU and Texas Tech. Alabama is favored at home at night for a good reason.
Bobby Burton – Alabama and TCU
Paul Wadlington – Gravity
Does Texas win the Big 12?
Eric Nahlin – Yes, by beating K-State at Jerryworld.
Justin Wells – Yes.
Ian Boyd – Yes.
Joe Cook – Yes, defeating Oklahoma to do so.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No. Charlie wasn’t even close. Herman’s first two classes scored slightly lower than Sark’s, but they were also bad on the lines and full of DBs and WRS, not to mention bad character evals like Bru McCoy, Tyler Johnson, and Jake Smith that inflated his rankings. Herman missed 

I believe Kelly at LSU is going down that same path with this years recruiting class? 

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lets get off this shitty conversation and play lets guess the depth chart.

I think we all know the vast majority of it. What are the question marks outside of LG and corner opposite Watts? I'll go with Conner or Neto and Brooks or Holmes. 

On 8/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, Dbeasy said:

PO - playoff quality

B12 - Big 12 Champ quality

NO - Not Big 12 Champ quality 

QB - PO

RB - B12

WR - PO

TE - PO

T - PO

G - B12

C - B12

DT - B12

DE - NO

CB - PO/B12

LB - B12

S - NO/B12

Overrating guards and center I think. 
underrating S if catalon stays healthy. I think it might be PO quality. I know it’s b12 quality. Depth is ok too. 

The development of actual players on the roster is another key differentiator between Sark & Herman.  Christian Jones,  Keandre Coburn, Overshown, Jaylon Ford, & Jahdae Barron are just a few of the shining examples of players getting demonstrably better under this coaching staff…..

Yet the wins aren’t there compared to year 1 and 2 of Herman. So all players are better. All recruits are better. But we are a .500 team over that same time. Your math doesn’t add up.

Both year 1 of Strong and Herman had a similar impression on the defensive side of the ball. WOW development. That didn’t work out in the end.

You can’t measure a player’s maturity or maturity in the scheme. Surprise - DMO was better LB year 3 than year 1. I’m not surprised others are better as 3rd/4th year players than 1st/2nd particularly the further out from Covid spring and continuity of scheme and coaching. Some guys improve even with the crappiest of coaching.

We’re the most talented team in the conference. Probably the deepest with talent. Maybe even the most experienced. We are pretty well balanced. We are in one of the best positions moving forward of anyone in the country.

Sark can take this to incredible levels. If we can’t win 10 this year, there is a significant problem. There are no excuses.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

You do asshole. I’m assuming you want a good team. NIL is helping Sark recruit. He’s doing a great job with it. Without NIL and with the under the table offerings, that makes things more difficult.

Okay, but the reality is that we have NIL, so why are you wasting your time and ours talking about counterfactuals? Username does not check out. 

Okay, but the reality is that we have NIL, so why are you wasting your time and ours talking about counterfactuals? Username does not check out. 

I was following the conversation that was applauding Sark on his recruiting but was referencing Herman. That Oline class for Sark was struggling to come on board. Then things changed. And that Oline class along with Ewers may be defining moments.

Sark is fortunate of the timing. NIL and the SEC move. Texas fans can look back on that as a GameChanger. To hell with me for not realizing it was off limits to have some reflection.

I like Sark's staff better than Herman's.

I like his OL/DL philosophy and recruiting better than Herman's.

I like his player development way better than Herman's (Ojomo, Coburn, Overshown, Christian Jones, and more)

I like his QB room better than Herman's.

I like what he did as OC at Bama.

So why is the win/loss record nothing special so far and why has the offense had mediocre 2nd halves?

My guess is that he is having trouble being BOTH a Head Coach and an OC at the same time. That is why our opening scripts look great and then we trail off some later in the game.  It feels like a bandwidth issue for Sark.  

This could continue to be a problem or it could get fixed by:

• Sark learning to manage it better with 2 years of experience.
  • Sark hires an OC and focuses on being a head coach.

Both of those solutions seem plausible and do not require another program reboot.

I'd rather have to go find a capable OC than find a replacement head coach and do a full program reboot.

So basically, to me, this is the year we find out if Sark can do both or we need to get an OC to run the offense and free Sark up to just be a Head Coach.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's what I want to see.

No injuries

No turnovers

Defense getting stops in base formations

Defense getting to and sacking the QB without bringing the house.

Yeah I’d like to see us get a sack when only sending the front 4. It feels like a long time since that has happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1