Best Rock Vocalists

ztejas

Who are some of y'alls top VOCALISTS ever? Not necessarily singers.

For example, I'm listening to RATM and while no one would consider de la Rocha a great technical singer I think he's one of the greatest vocalists of all time. 

Maybe a couple of other examples of guys that weren't technically great but were totally iconic are Bowie and Ozzy. I think Petty fits this mold as well. 

But - I'm not sure how high I'd rank guys like McCartney or Jagger. While they're obviously mega famous and iconic they seem less unique and more imitable.

Who y'all got? Chicks welcome of course.

if you are looking for unique and not imitable, it's hard to argue against cobain and vedder, along with freddie mercury assuming we are stuffing queen into "rock" which seems reasonable given that you are offering bowie.

axl and plant also certainly defined a rock sound in a way that was undeniable.  pre-1992 bono sound in u2 is pretty special as well. 

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe a couple of other examples of guys that weren't technically great but were totally iconic are Bowie and Ozzy.

Bowie is widely regarded as a brilliant singer, not just a "vocalist".  I wouldn't lump him in the Ozzy category at all.  Ask Tony Visconti -- you can friend him on Facebook.

Another singer I've been told is dead nails in the studio is Chrissie Hynde.

I think it's pretty hard to deny Elvis Presley's tone, pitch control, and general (and unique) vibe.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Bowie is widely regarded as a brilliant singer

You're right the more I think about it. He had a lot of songs where he sang very unorthodox or pushed limits stylistically in lieu of attempting to display technical proficiency is I guess what I was getting at.

Then again - Ozzy is probably a better technical signer than he gets credit for. 

Elvis is a great example. 

David Byrne just came to mind. 

I think it's hard to distinguish vocalists and singers..

I like unique, raw, emotional vocalists.  While they may or may not be "good" singers, they're fucking great to me.

Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries)

Vedder

Cornell (although he is an amazing singer)

Cobain

John Bell (widespread panic)

Dr. John

Tom Waits

Jason Isbell

Patterson Hood

I think it all comes down to personal preference

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I don't really understand the definition of a vocalist given some of the comments and suggestions.  I would have thought to be considered a vocalist you need great technical skills.

I would put Roy Orbison and Linda Ronstadt up against anybody not named Freddie Mercury.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I guess I don't really understand the definition of a vocalist given some of the comments and suggestions.  I would have thought to be considered a vocalist you need great technical skills.

Vocalizing is simply making sound come out of your mouth. 

Singing is attempting to string words together in a specific pitch/tone. 

You don't have to be perfectly on key or hitting specific notes to be a great vocalist. 

Hence ZDLR being my prime example. There is a ton of power and energy in his words that lifts the band around him but he could give a fuck less if his pitch is off or not. 

Kendrick Lamar is one of the greatest vocalists of all time despite not doing a lot of singing (but he isn't a rock musician).

Does that clear it up a bit? 

Also - your voice can sound great despite not doing anything particularly impressive or difficult singing-wise. Like a Johnny Cash or Leonard Cohen. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Hayley Williams is a pretty awesome singer and IMO the best front woman working today. She's got the talent and charisma.

Some examples of Hayley Williams. 

Here sharing the stage with Taylor Swift and just dominates. Taylor is great at what she does but can't match the vocal power of Hayley.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I feel like a ton of singers imitated those two from about 1992-97

they certainly tried...and they did not succeed.  they are all largely forgettable while nirvana and pearl jam will remain all-time great pillars of music.

11 hours ago, ajax said:

Hayley Williams is a pretty awesome singer and IMO the best front woman working today. She's got the talent and charisma.

Great add.

I'm still waiting for someone to mention the GOAT - btw. A couple of his peers have came up repeatedly.

Well, him, Plant, Mercury, Perry, Tyler, Cornell all in their own tier imo. Maybe a couple others. 

But he's my personal fav (as someone that tries to sing a lot of stuff - he can make it downright fucking impossible).

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Ann Wilson?

Absolutely a name that came to mind when I posted. I just didn't want to list too many of my own. 

Edited by ztejas

Honestly, I think Patton is one of the greatest. Incredible range as well as creatively using his voice and great stage presence (he is getting older so that has slowed a bit).

There are a few videos on YouTube of singers or vocal coaches reacting to him singing and they all are just shocked at what he can do.

4 hours ago, sidis said:

they certainly tried...and they did not succeed.  they are all largely forgettable while nirvana and pearl jam will remain all-time great pillars of music.

They failed because their music sucked, not because they did a bad job imitating Vedder/Cobain's voices.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Honestly, I think Patton is one of the greatest. Incredible range as well as creatively using his voice and great stage presence (he is getting older so that has slowed a bit).

There are a few videos on YouTube of singers or vocal coaches reacting to him singing and they all are just shocked at what he can do.

I was a huge FNM fan. I remember hurrying out to buy the Mr Bungle album and then eagerly racing home to listen to it. It was.... inaccessible. To say the least.

I was a huge FNM fan. I remember hurrying out to buy the Mr Bungle album and then eagerly racing home to listen to it. It was.... inaccessible. To say the least.

Hahahaha this happened to my buddy. We went to the Best Buy in south Austin freshman year and he bought the album that just came out by Mr Bungle. We went back to a friend’s dorm and put it on and got a big surprise/let down. But I know people that love them. I honestly haven’t gone back to try again.

But man, Angel Dust and King for a Day are monster albums. The most recent one, Sol Invictus, is really good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ajax said:

Cobain?

Is "a couple of his peers"

Another hint: he did not make the RS 200 best singers list because there is no God

Or maybe there is a God and he's vengeful because he might not make the first page here. 

Edited by ztejas