Best Rock Vocalists

ztejas

21 minutes ago, ajax said:

Oh, I know. How could I forget the great Layne Staley. He's on my list.

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

Nutshell is well within my - and most people's - octave range.

Of songs where I'm capable of hitting all the notes I think it's the hardest fucking thing I've ever tried to sing. 

On 8/2/2023 at 10:45 AM, ztejas said:

Who are some of y'alls top VOCALISTS ever? Not necessarily singers.

Who y'all got? Chicks welcome of course.

As they should be.. check out these vocals from Kim Shattuck ( 0:21 , 0:54 , 1:26, 2:15 )

• Hook 'Em 1

Ian Gillian

Ian Gillan (born 19 August 1945) is an English singer who is best known as the lead singer and lyricist for the rock band Deep Purple. He is known for his powerful and wide-ranging singing voice.

Initially influenced by Elvis Presley, Gillan started and fronted several local bands in the mid-1960s, and eventually joined Episode Six when their original singer left. He first found widespread commercial success after joining Deep Purple in 1969. He resigned from the band in June 1973, having given a lengthy notice period to their managers. After a short time away from the music business, he resumed his music career with solo bands the Ian Gillan Band and Gillan, before a year-long stint as the vocalist for Black Sabbath in 1983. The following year, Deep Purple reformed and two more successful albums followed before he left in 1989. He returned to the group in 1993, and has remained its lead singer ever since.

In addition to his main work—performing with Deep Purple and other bands during the 1970s and 1980s—he sang the role of Jesus in the original recording of Andrew Lloyd Webber's rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar (1970),[1] 

• Hook 'Em 4

The guy from Queensryche.

Don't remember or care to find out his name, but he had a great range on the Empire album. 

Is this just rock singers? Or singers in general? Because Annie Lennox, Arena Franklin and Whitney Houston belong in the conversation. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Tbf I listed him as a counter example. 

He definitely fits the thread title - just not the type of vocalist I had in mind. 

Well, nobody really knows exactly what you had in mind.  Great singers who can't actually sing?  Unique singers who may or may not actually be able to sing?

I mean, most of these threads quickly land on Freddie, Robert, Aretha, Amy, Janis, etc.  Are you wanting to ignore that type of talent, or allow them because they're distinctive?

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

The guy from Queensryche.

Don't remember or care to find out his name, but he had a great range on the Empire album. 

Geoff Tate. (off the top of my head... but I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch today)

• Like 1

Seconding Steve Perry

I’m gonna get roasted for this. I listened exclusively to alternative in the late 80’s / early 90’s. An encyclopedic knowledge of 120 minutes-esque bands. But, at the end of the hair band era came the one hit wonder - Skid Row. I submit Sabastian Bach. I Remember You is a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2023 at 9:41 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Not a one hit wonder. 18 and life as well. 

Plus Monkey Business etc..

They had several hits.

Bach could sing his ass off but he was a lunatic. A good friend of mine worked Spitfire records and would see him quite a bit, said he was basically an insane caveman

I was watching a bunch of youtube reaction videos the other day from voice coaches/experts (including vids from the Charismatic Voice) so this thread hits close to home.  Two names I'll posit that I didn't see posted while skimming page one:

Serj Tankian - System of a Down

Till Lindemann - Rammstein

Edited by bernorange
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, G650 said:

Plus Monkey Business etc..

They had several hits.

Bach could sing his ass off but he was a lunatic. A good friend of mine worked Spitfire records and would see him quite a bit, said he was basically an insane caveman

My wife likes to watch Gilmore Girls in the fall. She had it on, and I became aware of this…

And he can act!

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:27 PM, noharleyyet said:

Paul Rodgers

Steve Perry

Lou Gramm

Van Morrison

Paul Rodgers is probably the most underrated rock singer of all time, IMO.

Van Morrison would definitely be in the top 5 of un-imitatible.  dudes voice is really one of a kind.

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gobsmacked, I am.  Never watched "Glimour Girls".  Never in a million years would I have imagined Sebastian Bach would have a recurring role, either.  And you're right, he doesn't totally suck.

He's in at least one Trailer Park Boys episode and he's really good in it. 

15 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Paul Rodgers is probably the most underrated rock singer of all time, IMO.

Van Morrison would definitely be in the top 5 of un-imitatible.  dudes voice is really one of a kind.

41 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Was just having this same conversation this weekend. I mean along with all of his Bad Company and Free stuff, the dude filled in for fucking Freddy Mercury for gods sake.

Is he? He's usually ranked as one of the best ever.