How many wins will Texas have this season? (2023 edition)

perfectchaos007

How many wins will Texas have this season?   

265 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will Texas have this season?

• 4 wins or less (nightmare season)
    • 5 wins (same as Sark's first year)
    • 6 wins (bowl eligible)
    • 7 wins (7 win Steve lives up to his namesake)
    • 8 wins (Same as last year)
    • 9 wins (better than last year, but still a letdown)
    • 10 wins (Would be our 2nd 10+ win season since 2009)
    • 11 wins (Best season since 2009. Might sneak into the playoffs)
    • 12+ wins (Texas makes the CFP)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/23 at 07:30 PM

9-3 sounds about right, but after beating Bama on the road.
No way this conference let’s us in the CCG this year. Refs are easily good for 3 close road losses- TCU, Baylor, and Houston.
The Rig12 cannot afford to have both us and BlowU in the CCG, but since next year is technically the start of the "new Big 12" when the Buffs and Utes join they may let the horns slide into Dallas..especially if the other team already beat us in the regular season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm admittedly full on chugging the Kool Aid at this point, but I'm still struggling to see any matchup that strikes fear like in previous seasons. Barring devastating injuries or other random acts of god I'm going with 11 wins with twelve a possibility if QE takes the leap that I think he will. The schedule couldn't have setup much nicer and catching Bama in the first meaningful game with new QB and multiple coordinators is about as much as you can ask for. Down Big 12 + one trip outside state of Texas in conference sets up for a very cushy last season in Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

9-3 sounds about right, but after beating Bama on the road.

No way this conference let’s us in the CCG this year. Refs are easily good for 3 close road losses- TCU, Baylor, and Houston.

Houston is an underdog to UTSA week one, the refs would have to work a miracle for that one to happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Voted for 12+ but truth be told, don't be putting any cash on it. I think we may have the talent on the field, but: a) Sark is still trying to be HC and OC, which is not good; and b) we really don't  know how much Patterson helped the D last season. All in all, I'm hoping we can avoid some of the WTF moments from the last two years, and exit the XII on a highly winning note. It could happen.

5 minutes ago, landman said:

Where is the 15 win option?

It's in the + on 12+, duh.

Houston is an underdog to UTSA week one, the refs would have to work a miracle for that one to happen.  

I’m probably guaranteeing a loss by saying this but UH is like a half step up from Rice and Wyoming for me in terms of worrying about actually losing. UH cannot handle Texas on the lines, period. If Texas has 5 turnovers or whatever then it is what it is, but absent that Texas will win even if it’s ugly.

Voted 10-2 and putting my reasoning for future posterity. 

It basically boils down to my belief that we'll have at least 8 draft picks next year. I was thinking 9-3 because of Sark's record, but it's hard to put that many guys in the league and not win 10. 

The offense hinges on Quinn Ewers and DJ Campbell. I have faith in Quinn. Stagnation is a common part of learning. Sark let Quinn struggle down the stretch of last season knowing that it could cost us games, but believing that the reps would help him grow this year. I think the OL will be improved but still have some down games (meaning run blocking struggles at LG/C) while showing general improvement over the course of the year (just as it's improved over time the last 2 years). 

I'm not buying Gbenda or Crawford, but it's hard to worry about the defense. They'll be good enough and potentially elite. Will and WDE are the obvious points of concern, but they should be good enough. Maybe we see some 3-3 defenses with Hill and Blackwell as SAMs if needed. We've got a lot of pieces that we can move around and I'm a PK truther. 

Miscellaneous takes: Xavier Worthy eats up a lot of Keilan's snaps, Brooks has 1k rushing yards while Baxter has less than 400, Worthy finally gets 1k in a season, Byron Murphy leads the team in sacks, Jahdae Barron is our highest drafted defensive player

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't know how many we win this year but as a Texas fan, I'll go in balls deep with my own (Kool aid and alcohol induced) prediction.

Not only is Texas going to beat 'Bama and OU but also Michigan and Georgia this year...     yes THIS year.  

Hook 'em

• Hook 'Em 5

Optimistically hoping for some progress. I think we reach 9 wins, with losses to 'Bama, K-State, Tech, and in our bowl game. Big 12 refs will ensure the latter two losses to set up K-State vs. TTU in the Big 12 title game, and we go to the Alamo Bowl and lose to Utah or Oregon. Ewers shows significant improvement and gets drafted in the second round, Ryan Watts + Jahdae Barron + Jalen Catalon anchor a strong secondary, LB (outside of Ford) and RB rooms disappoint, still not much pass rush to speak of which will hurt us in critical late-game situations.

Edited by satyanash

Optimistically hoping for some progress. I think we reach 9 wins, with losses to 'Bama, K-State, Tech, and in our bowl game. Big 12 refs will ensure the latter two losses to set up K-State vs. TTU in the Big 12 title game, and we go to the Alamo Bowl and lose to Utah or Oregon. Ewers shows significant improvement and gets drafted in the second round, Ryan Watts + Jahdae Barron + Jalen Catalon anchor a strong secondary, LB (outside of Ford) and RB rooms disappoint, still not much pass rush to speak of which will hurt us in critical late-game situations.

Predicting Sark to go unbeaten on the road in conference play is probably way more fantastically optimistic than your post was intended
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Satay’s optimistic version of the season is still taking the Under on season wins. Is anyone surprised? 

• Haha 3

Satay’s optimistic version of the season is still taking the Under on season wins. Is anyone surprised? 

It’s just a weird prediction all around given the home/road variation this team his displayed under Sark, and that he’s displayed his whole career. If Texas is 5-0 away from DKR in conference they will run Tech off the field at home with a CCG at stake, if it’s not clinched already at 7-1.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2023 at 8:06 AM, gmr548 said:

Predicting Sark to go unbeaten on the road in conference play is probably way more fantastically optimistic than your post was intended

Baylor, Houston, TCU and Iowa State? None of them should be scaring us this season. A weaker 2022 squad handled Baylor with relative ease. Houston is going to be bottom-of-the-barrel. TCU lost a huge amount of experience from last season. And Iowa State is in total disarray with the gambling scandal revelations.

blOU is the toughest challenge away from home but it's neutral-site, and Venables is still a year away from having the squad he wants.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2023 at 7:06 AM, gmr548 said:

Yeah, some of Sark's game management at away games (especially second half) made me ask if Greg Davis would have been better. Maybe we out talent some teams this year, maybe Sark gets an epiphany. Maybe they can hire a 10 year old kid who is good at Madden to call plays in the second half.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Baylor, Houston, TCU and Iowa State? None of them should be scaring us this season. A weaker 2022 squad handled Baylor with relative ease. Houston is going to be bottom-of-the-barrel. TCU lost a huge amount of experience from last season. And Iowa State is in total disarray with the gambling scandal revelations.

blOU is the toughest challenge away from home but it's neutral-site, and Venables is still a year away from having the squad he wants.

Yes! Who is this typing at Satya's keyboard, btw?

I didn’t say the opponents were scary. Sark’s track record (losing 65% of road games over his career) strongly suggests there’s a loss or two in there despite the fact that Texas should/will be favored.

Thinking Sark is going to wildly outperform his career baseline on the road because Texas has a superior roster and then turning around and calling for losses to K State and Tech is logically inconsistent. If you think the roster is so much better than everyone else’s in the league that Sark or any other coach couldn’t fuck it up, just say so.

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Thinking Sark is going to wildly outperform his career baseline on the road because Texas has a superior roster and then turning around and calling for losses to K State and Tech is logically inconsistent. If you think the roster is so much better than everyone else’s in the league that Sark or any other coach couldn’t fuck it up, just say so.

Not all road games are equal. We're starting our road-game slate with a likely loss to Alabama in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Nothing we face in conference will compare to that.

Tech beat us last year, will greatly improve this year, and will have the benefit of biased officiating. Bijan Robinson is the only reason we beat K-State last year, and he's gone now (in addition to an extremely lucky late fumble). Those factors matter a lot more than home vs. away.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Not all road games are equal. We're starting our road-game slate with a likely loss to Alabama in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Nothing we face in conference will compare to that.

Tech beat us last year, will greatly improve this year, and will have the benefit of biased officiating. Bijan Robinson is the only reason we beat K-State last year, and he's gone now (in addition to an extremely lucky late fumble). Those factors matter a lot more than home vs. away.

Was waiting for you to post, so I could sound optimistic and not like a salty opposing fan.  

9-3 

At least one loss due to ref shenanigans

One loss as a Sark wtf loss

And another is at Bama

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas lost road games to inferior teams last year. The Tech loss was a football miracle in a bad way. That’s kind of a Sark MO. That’s my whole point.

Saying the roster is so much better than last year that it overrides that is logically inconsistent with saying Texas will lose to K State and Tech, at home, based on last year’s results. It seems like you’re just cherry picking to find a reason to not call for a breakthrough year.

I’m done arguing this because it’s dumb and I don’t think Texas is going to be a 10+ win team either, but your logic is off.
  • Like 1

Texas lost road games to inferior teams last year. The Tech loss was a football miracle in a bad way. That’s kind of a Sark MO. That’s my whole point.

Saying the roster is so much better than last year that it overrides that is logically inconsistent with saying Texas will lose to K State and Tech, at home, based on last year’s results. It seems like you’re just cherry picking to find a reason to not call for a breakthrough year.

I’m done arguing this because it’s dumb and I don’t think Texas is going to be a 10+ win team either, but your logic is off.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:55 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

With pre-season camp now underway and the orange kool-aid flowin', its time to predict how many wins this team under 3rd year Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian finishes with. Ewers is now in year 2 of Sark's system, but they'll have to find offensive success without Bijan and Roschon. To keep things even more interesting, there are a couple of new faces in our conference schedule compared to last season. Also may be worth noting that for the first time since 2009, the Big12 preseason poll has Texas as the favorites to win the conference. Will they live up to expectations?

When picking which win total to vote for, keep in mind all post season wins count to the total as well. I'm setting the poll to close on September 2nd right before the kickoff against Rice. Nothing more than bragging rights for those who predict correctly. 

image.png.bea1677a53fb41d228c9df9b4fd44369.png

I voted 10 wins. I could see this playing out just like year 3 for Herman.

OTOH, I could see us losing 5 again.

I’m very much in the “SHOW ME” state of mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

Voted 9 wins. Will be difficult to win at Bama and unfortunately I expect a let down and/or referee shenanigans in the BU, TCU, or Iowa State games. 

Regardless, we make the Big 12 Championship game and win it on our way out. Clutching of pearls, shrieks of pain, and the 5 stages of grief consume the Big 12 offices.

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Voted 9 wins. Will be difficult to win at Bama and unfortunately I expect a let down and/or referee shenanigans in the BU, TCU, or Iowa State games. 

Regardless, we make the Big 12 Championship game and win it on our way out. Clutching of pearls, shrieks of pain, and the 5 stages of grief consume the Big 12 offices.

Not baylor.  Fuck baylor. 

• Fuck You 1

On 8/12/2023 at 3:09 PM, The Dark Knight said:

This conference would probably turn out the lights at jerry world in the 4th quarter if  it looked like we were going to win the last CCG.

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2023 at 5:57 PM, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm not buying Gbenda or Crawford, but it's hard to worry about the defense. They'll be good enough and potentially elite. Will and WDE are the obvious points of concern, but they should be good enough. Maybe we see some 3-3 defenses with Hill and Blackwell as SAMs if needed. We've got a lot of pieces that we can move around and I'm a PK truther. 

We need to consistently be able to pressure the QB while also not having our CBs line up 7 yards off their receivers. That or score 45 points a game, which may be possible 

Texas takes an early road loss to Alabama, and avoids a late road loss to TCU or Iowa St, but it's close.

Texas over OU in the Big XII title game.  Some announcer makes a mistake when calculating how many teams will be in the Big XII next year.  Big XII rumor mill has them going after UTSA to secure the San Antonio market and maybe adding Rice to keep it an even number.

Texas plays Michigan in the Rose Bowl in the 1st round of the CFP. I hope they win but it will be another Rose Bowl shootout.

I'm going with 10 wins. 

I can see a scenario where we win more or all of our games, but between the youth we still have, Big XII refs and a "fuck y'all" agenda, angry rabid last conference road games, Bama uncertainty, unpredictable injuries, and maybe that game where we think our shit doesn't stink, I see  losing a game or two we should win but don't.

Edited by SKA the boss
grammar police

Sounds like Texas came out of their second scrimmage healthy. Assuming a healthy start to the year and no cataclysmic rash of injuries, I'm voting 8 wins with rough matchup groupings of:

Safe Ws: Rice, Wyoming, at UH

Likely Ws: Kansas, BYU, Tech

Toss Ups: at Baylor, OU, K State, at TCU, at ISU

Likely L: at Bama

I do think this is conservative and upside for 9 wins is a lot more likely than downside at 6 or 7. I just haven't seen anything out of Sark or elsewhere that leads me to believe his team will be consistent enough to win 10+ with Bama, the unpredictable nature of the OU game, and three conference road games that will feature extremely hostile environments.

I think we lose 2 games in conference, but beat Bama. I’ll go with one horrendous ref game at home (Tech or K State) and one bad road loss (TCU or Iowa State). 

Bama’s QB issues are well documented. Is Rees smart enough to ditch Milroe early? I don’t think they have enough at RB to go to away from his strengths. Bama is going to have win some rock fights early. Ewers shouldn’t be the rock fight type this year. 

If we don't win 10 games this year, it's just not going to happen with this coach.

I am in show me mode with Sark.  Washington I can kind of let off the hook because he took over a team that was 0-12 and had no talent.  USC he did a pretty damn decent job considering he had 55 scholarships and was drunk.

Last year he probably wins 10 if Quinn does not get hurt against Bama.

This year he better win 10+.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/4/2023 at 11:55 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

image.png.bea1677a53fb41d228c9df9b4fd44369.png

i picked 11 wins but meant to pick 12, that's a misclick. win the B12, make it to the CFP as the #2 or #3 team, then ???

• Ewers plays the first drive of the 2nd half vs Rice, Maalik Murphy plays the rest
  • beat Alabama at on the road, due to a strong defense and their QB issues (this looks much better by the end of the season when Bama gets their QB play on track)
  • narrow win on the road vs Baylor
  • pull away from Kansas in a rock fight until the 4th Q
  • beat the shit out of OU, because it's OU and they are vastly overrated this year on both offense and defense. Gabriel gets knocked out of the game or doesn't make it to this game. Arch plays in the 4th Q
  • beat the shit out of Houston on the road, Sark never lets off the gas. Arch plays in the 4th Q.
  • KSU is the closest B12 game played this year. glad this is in Austin.
  • beat TCU on the road, backups playing in the 4th Q
  • beat the absolute shit out of ISU on the road
  • beat the absolute shit out of TTU, 4+ TD win. Sark never lets off the gas. Arch plays in the 4th Q
  • win Big 12 Championship Game in a rematch vs KSU
  • play in the CFP as the #2 or #3 seed, don't sneak in as the #4

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2