Int'l rescue effort closes in on soccer team trapped for 9 days in a flooded Thai cave

clapclapclap

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They reported prior to the rescue that a SEAL died.  Has there been any report on what killed him?  The rescue seems to be going well and the boys are surviving.  It's strange to me that a SEAL who presumably was alone on his mission didn't make it through while divers accompanying these boys who are presumably in very frail health are making it through okay.

I think he ran out of oxygen and couldn't get to more. Possibly became disoriented (heh). Waters were probably higher then, so longer dives.

12 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You'd likely send the strongest boys first as they have a better chance of surviving shit you didn't plan for. Plus it boosts the moral of everyone involved, especially those waiting to be pulled out.

I have no legitimate source, but this is what I have read from local reporters (mostly on Twitter):

The original plan was strongest out first; however the day of the rescue, the Aussie doc/diver made the call to send out the weakest first.  The press conference also hints that at least one of the first boys rescued was unconscious, because they specified that all 4 boys rescued second were strong and "all conscious". 

I keep forgetting that none of the boys even knew how to swim! Honestly, I still beilieve they have to be drugged at least a little bit, less stress and less oxygen output. Also, I actually think the coach (who is still believed to be in the cave) will be the hardest rescue of all, since he is bigger than the other boys and is weaker from giving away all his food. The community seems to not be putting any blame on either the boys or the coach, and some of the boys schoolmates are quoted saying they have explored much deeper from where the boys currently are. 

Just read, the third rescue mission started about 12:15am CST. Who is left? 4 kids + 1 coach and there are also  3 Thai SEALS + 1 Army Medic who have stayed with the team since they were found. Apparently the goal is that all 9 come out today after 12 hours of solid rain. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

They reported prior to the rescue that a SEAL died.  Has there been any report on what killed him?  The rescue seems to be going well and the boys are surviving.  It's strange to me that a SEAL who presumably was alone on his mission didn't make it through while divers accompanying these boys who are presumably in very frail health are making it through okay.

He was placing spare tanks along the way when he lost consciousness.

CBS also reported that all the water they pumped out of the cave flooded nearby rice paddies. Some farmers said they lost their entire crop but it was more important to get those kids out safely. 

Its been inspirational to see how the Thai people rallied around those kids. From the rescue workers to the people caring for and feeding them. The people pumping water from the cave. The emergency responders lined up ready to rush the rescued to the hospital. The people caring for the families. The Buddhist monks who came to lead prayers. The boys' classmates who showed up to sing songs. No pointing fingers by anybody. Very impressive. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

That's the end of Act II. 

The end of Act II should be when they discover all of them alive. The death of the SEAL is the beginning of the climax in Act III when everything kicks into high gear because of the danger and the threat of approaching monsoon rains. 

man, i was convinced this was going to end badly. really badly. still feel bad for the one thai seal that died, but overall, this outcome is borderline miraculous. 

it also underlines the power of the human spirit, on both sides of the cave opening. the survival of those inside, and the tenacity of those on the outside to rescue them. 

simply amazing.

• Like 1

What was it, a week ago, when we heard it may be three, four months before they could attempt a rescue? Then we heard about the rapidly depleting oxygen supply, then the forecast for rain... I was disheartened. 

Save for the diver who lost his life, the outcome is beyond my wildest hopes. This news is like a beacon of light thru all the shitty headlines we read each day. 

Great job, Thailand and British badass divers.