Int'l rescue effort closes in on soccer team trapped for 9 days in a flooded Thai cave

clapclapclap

Four people were rescued Sunday from a flooded cave in Thailand where they were trapped for 16 days. The team of divers is expected to resume the mission Monday to rescue the remaining eight boys and their soccer coach. The boys, ages 11-16, and their 25-year-old coach became stranded when they went exploring in the cave after a practice game. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for almost 10 days.

The four who were rescued were taken to a hospital in Chiang Rai for evaluation. Two divers were assigned to each child to help them navigate the dangerous, narrow passageways. The next phase could begin Monday after rescue teams replenish the supply of oxygen tanks along the route. It could take two to four days complete the mission, officials said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/thai-cave-rescue-operation-resumes-thailand-boys-soccer-team-2018-07-08-live-updates/

Edited by LongestHorn
Thai news source reported coach was among the rescued 4.

What we know so far

Two more boys have been rescued from the Tham Luang cave complex in Northern Thailand, officials have told the Guardian. Six boys have been rescued and six more and their coach remain in the cave.

Sources at the site said a fifth boy emerged before 5pm and had left the entrance. A six boy emerged within an hour later, sources said.
Thai public television broadcast live video of a medivac helicopter landing close to a hospital in the city of Chiang Rai. It was believed to be carrying the fifth boy to be rescued.

Thai prime minister, Prayut Chan-O-Cha has delayed a planned visit to the site so as not to disruption the rescue operation. He had been due at the site at 6pm but is remaining at nearby Chiang Rai where the rescued boys are being treated in hospital.

The operation to extract more of the boys began on Monday at 11am (5am BST). The same divers who managed to rescue four boys on Sunday were involved. Officials said that conditions were as good as they were on Sunday and that rain yesterday did not affect water levels inside the cave.

Authorities complained about some of yesterday’s media coverage, saying a drone was flown above the operation. They also claimed media outlets listened to police radio reports.

The rescued boy are being kept in quarantine in the hospital to avoid the risk of infection. Medics are considering whether to allow their parents to see them through a glass door.

The four boys rescued on Sunday have asked to eat a pad krapow. The dish is a favourite comfort food made with Thai basil.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/09/thai-cave-rescue-resumes-to-free-eight-boys-and-coach-still-trapped-latest-news

3 hours ago, retread said:

Four boys per day. Another four tomorrow and that will leave the coach to spend his last night in the cave alone. 

All the parents have sent him messages saying that they don't blame him at all. But it won't hurt to give him a little alone time to meditate. 

Im curious how they decided who goes out first among the boys. Do you send out the strongest boys on the first day to give you the best chance of seeing if this plan works ?

I would say the strongest/oldest boys went on day 1. Once they knew the difficulty, the weakest/sickest boys went today. The last 4 boys I would say would fall somewhere in between.

3 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Rescue aside. Getting to them is one thing. Then having to basically train them how to dive (sort of), trust them, and get them to not panic in the tight spots is just crazy.

I agree... however, keeping in mind these are seemingly the standard dipshit young teen boys, I have to wonder if there's been a sense of adventure "eff yea this is cool as hell getting to scuba dive with this cool shit and guides". Plus the whole you got no choice factor. 

Edited by bluto

1 minute ago, UTGrad98 said:

Im curious how they decided who goes out first among the boys. Do you send out the strongest boys on the first day to give you the best chance of seeing if this plan works ?

I would say the strongest/oldest boys went on day 1. Once they knew the difficulty, the weakest/sickest boys went today. The last 4 boys I would say would fall somewhere in between.

You'd likely send the strongest boys first as they have a better chance of surviving shit you didn't plan for. Plus it boosts the moral of everyone involved, especially those waiting to be pulled out.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Those tight spaces were the same way when they went into the cave, just without the water. So they should have an idea of what they are going back through, with an elevated degree of difficulty. 

They've drilled out some of the smaller sections to open them up.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You'd likely send the strongest boys first as they have a better chance of surviving shit you didn't plan for. Plus it boosts the moral of everyone involved, especially those waiting to be pulled out.

watching the news this morning and this is what they said; not sure if they were speculating or knew it for a fact.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

I agree... however, keeping in mind these are seemingly the standard dipshit young teen boys, I have to wonder if there's been a sense of adventure "eff yea this is cool as hell getting to scuba dive with this cool shit and guides". Plus the whole you got no choice factor. 

I think this right here. All the pics you see of the boys seem to show hem in pretty good spirits. Small, athletic, young males (outside of professionals) may be the best demographic for this (all things considered).

5 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I think this right here. All the pics you see of the boys seem to show hem in pretty good spirits. Small, athletic, young males (outside of professionals) may be the best demographic for this (all things considered).

Not to mention highly motivated considering the alternative. 

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If there's no imminent risk of flooding and the current pace is working so well, don't change anything. Just be cool.

And leave that coach in there, totally alone, for a few days.

i was wondering about that. does thai culture put a similar emphasis on personal honor as other asian cultures? although i guess you don't really need that either since they put prisoners here on suicide watch too. i'm not absolving the guy, but leaving him in their alone on the last night... wouldn't be surprised if they go back in the morning and never find him again.

• Like 1

They reported prior to the rescue that a SEAL died.  Has there been any report on what killed him?  The rescue seems to be going well and the boys are surviving.  It's strange to me that a SEAL who presumably was alone on his mission didn't make it through while divers accompanying these boys who are presumably in very frail health are making it through okay.