Int'l rescue effort closes in on soccer team trapped for 9 days in a flooded Thai cave

clapclapclap

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

Awesome news. Everyone that went to that cave to help is a legit hero. This includes the 9 smoking Thai dudes.

RIP Thai Navy SEAL.

I spoke to a good friend of mine who dives all over the world. He said while the situation wasn't ideal there is now way in hell an experienced diver should have died due to lack of oxygen. Especially one considered to be a Thai Navy Seal. 

now that everyone is safe, can we safely talk about how fucking self-aggrandizing elon musk was during this whole thing? stay in your fucking lane, bro.
Maybe not the worst offender. Let's wait until we see POTUS tweet about the rescue.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I spoke to a good friend of mine who dives all over the world. He said while the situation wasn't ideal there is now way in hell an experienced diver should have died due to lack of oxygen. Especially one considered to be a Thai Navy Seal. 

what's elon like irl?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

This is like the day "Baby Jessica" was pulled out of the well.

I'm pretty sure the guy who actually pulled her out had severe ptsd and ended up killing himself. Jessica still lives near her old well.

Edited by Mole

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yeah well, people fuck up sometimes. 

The dude went in there trying to help some kids escape certain death. Kids who themselves had fucked up bigtime. He’s a hero IMO.

Edited by smuggs
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

Yeah well, people fuck up sometimes. 

The dude went in there trying to help some kids escape certain death. Kids who themselves had fucked up bigtime. He’s a hero IMO.

It was more the reason why he fucked up. Shit can go wrong but he basically said rule #1 as a diver is to know how much oxygen you have and make sure you have enough. 

I by no means am judging him or saying he is less of a hero for helping save the kids.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I like good news stories. And that it was both a very Thai and also an international effort to save them. It’s things like this where we can see humanity at its best.

Hey, maybe brisket is starting to cheer up a little ...

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It won’t. Read Sebastian Junger’s “Tribe.” We unify in crisis....and then go back to our shitty selves.

... and that lasted about 40 minutes. :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It was more the reason why he fucked up. Shit can go wrong but he basically said rule #1 as a diver is to know how much oxygen you have and make sure you have enough. 

I by no means am judging him or saying he is less of a hero for helping save the kids.

Other than shark attacks isn't lack of oxygen pretty much responsible for all scuba related deaths?

7 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

Your movie structure is severely flawed.

Nope. You're leaving too little material for the third act. 

Act I -- Getting Lost. Act II -- The Search. Act III -- The Rescue. We all watched events play out in real time. That's the structure of the story as it happened. The discovery of all thirteen alive in the cave after nine days was the clear demarcation point between the search and the rescue phases. 

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nope. You're leaving too little material for the third act. 

Act I -- Getting Lost. Act II -- The Search. Act III -- The Rescue. We all watched events play out in real time. That's the structure of the story as it happened. The discovery of all thirteen alive in the cave after nine days was the clear demarcation point between the search and the rescue phases. 

Can't we just skip a bunch of that and get to the part with the large breasted reporter getting soaking wet in a monsoon?

• Haha 1

Honestly, hey, good for Musk. He made an effort. More than the rest of us did tweeting thoughts and prayers or whatever from our fucking couches.

But the idea of him showing up with a half-functional made-from-rocket-parts submarine, then walking away and LEAVING it with poor villagers in rural Thailand "just in case" is hilarious. I picture a few people standing around scratching their heads after all the international media has left wondering what the fuck to do with it before one of them finally takes it home and uses it as a coffee table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It is frustrating to me that we keep discussing “oxygen.”

we don’t breathe “oxygen” on land and divers don’t breathe it underwater.

we breathe air.

most divers breathe air, and technical divers might breathe special gas mixtures like nitrox, heliox, or trimix.  No diver breathes oxygen except when they’re in the ambulance on the way to the hospital after a diving accident.

its expensive, explosive, and toxic at depth.

the Thai navy seal guy didn’t “run out of oxygen” - he ran out of air.

carry on.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Honestly, hey, good for Musk. He made an effort. More than the rest of us did tweeting thoughts and prayers or whatever from our fucking couches.

But the idea of him showing up with a half-functional made-from-rocket-parts submarine, then walking away and LEAVING it with poor villagers in rural Thailand "just in case" is hilarious. I picture a few people standing around scratching their heads after all the international media has left wondering what the fuck to do with it before one of them finally takes it home and uses it as a coffee table.

I was at the falcon heavy launch and subsequent landings.  Didn’t know shit about musk before that but after watching it - learning how he has advanced what was a stagnant science - I’m a big fan.

He’s going to swing and miss some but I like it, keep swinging bro, swing away.