The 2023 Republican Debate thread

Bullneck

9 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Just saw the clip of Vivek wishing Haley luck in her future career on the Raytheon and Lockheed boards.  

She may end up hating him as much as Klobuchar hates Buttigieg.

This is actually a good post.  I'm impressed.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bullneck said:

This is actually a good post.  I'm impressed.

...except Vivek is a speed babbling extremist harpy and Pete is too moderate for most of THE SURLY CABAL. 

but yeah...Klobuchar visibly wanting to squash Pete was one of the funnier moments of 2020 lol.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

come on now, you know the game. there are no hard questions or serious answers in the GQP. 

"The guy most of you love is running a train on all of you in this race. So what are we all doing here?" 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Trump and Ramaswamy Show Us How the Worst Get to the Top

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-and-ramaswamy-show-us-how-the-worst-get-to-the-top

The fact that people like yours truly found Ramaswamy repellent during Wednesday night’s debate only proves that we are out-of-touch with the base of today’s GOP.

But at least we’re not alone. There are numerous reasons to dislike Ramaswamy. He’s cocky. He is often wrong, but never uncertain. And he’s a suck-up; he panders to Trump (calling him “the best president of the 21st century” during the debate).

In fairness, some of these criticisms say as much about us as they do about him.

Politicians who have paid their dues are understandably resentful of a rich, young tech-bro line-skipper, besting them.

And to more jaded journalist types covering the primary, Ramaswamy is the quintessential eager beaver who wants to be the teacher's pet. He’s Uriah Heep. He’s Eddie Haskell saying, “Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver.” Sycophantic villains long ago became tropes precisely because audiences spotted and inherently disdained them.

Once you understand (and accept) this reality, it’s easier to make political predictions regarding the GOP. Who wins? It’s almost always the “craziest son of a bitch.” Who wins? The people who have no sense of shame. The people who are willing to kiss your butt—or slit your throat—depending on the circumstances.

In this type of culture, attributes like decency, merit, and consistency become liabilities. Asa Hutchinson is too decent (read boring) to win. But the slick and fast-talking Ramaswamy is perfectly suited to thrive in this “Give us Barabbas!” era.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Once you understand (and accept) this reality, it’s easier to make political predictions regarding the GOP. Who wins? It’s almost always the “craziest son of a bitch.” Who wins? The people who have no sense of shame. The people who are willing to kiss your butt—or slit your throat—depending on the circumstances.

In this type of culture, attributes like decency, merit, and consistency become liabilities. Asa Hutchinson is too decent (read boring) to win. But the slick and fast-talking Ramaswamy is perfectly suited to thrive in this “Give us Barabbas!” era.

I mean...here's the thing: "revelatory" pieces like this are no longer revelatory.  The authors of such takes -- including yours truly, who has said the same stuff plenty of times before -- are not breaking any new ground, or offering any earth-shattering analyis.

This take, and all like it, are simply "water is wet" statements.  The GQP is as awful as it appears.  The answer to the question of "which path will it follow?" is always "the most repellent one."  The shittiest candidate is going to win.  Etc. etc.  Blah blah blah, it's so goddamned routine and obvious as to be boring now.  Beelzebub could join the candidate field, run on an express platform of "murdering infants and making everyone else eat literal shit," and he'd be the #2 candidate (because Trump will always stay #1).  There's nothing shocking about this anymore.  There's no new take.

The GQP is literally all of humanity's worst impulses and traits rolled up into a political party.  That's it.  That's the whole essay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 9:46 AM, Brisketexan said:

Maybe....just maybe....you should consider that you're reaching a point of realization that a shitload of people around here figured out a while back.....

...this is what they realized.  Even the "the cruelty is the point" isn't an actual principle.  It's just a gimmick, used to fire up the worst of our base impulses as a people, who first and foremost, want government to HURT the people they want to hurt.  Remember the complaint "he's hurting the wrong people?"  That's the essence of the party now.  It is nothing but a self-sustaining outrage machine, and the only "accomplishments" it can point to are those that harm someone/some out group.

She is an apostate, and will be thrown out of the cult for that.  Seriously, there is no room in the cult for any apostate beliefs.  And yes, the GQP is a full-on cult now.  There is no room for non-cult members.

People like Poe should pay attention to that.  Keep feeding the Leopards Eating People's Faces party, and sooner or later, the leopards will eat YOUR face.  It's a matter of "when," not "if."  The cruelty machine must be fed.  It will never be fully satiated, so faces will continue to be eaten.

Sigh, you’re probably right. I hate saying that so much.  

You should listen to Brisket.  He knows what he's doing, he's Pre-Med.  

Serious question-anybody know what time the debate at the Reagan Library is happening-CDT?  It's on the 27th, I believe.  To be able to listen to so many political leaders champion Russia and explain away a piece of shit like Trump in Reagan's Cathedral will be quite a sight indeed.  I know many of you have serious issues with Reagan, but two three things he loved beyond reproach-The United States being the world's moral compass over Russia, his family, and his faith.  

Three traits that Trump not only does not possess, but he actively berates.  

Obviously he won't be there, but his ball-suckers will be.  And many of you will be wishing you could have just a taste of their taint drool.  What wonderful Americans you turned out to be.  Still hard to believe as saddened as I am about what you fucksticks did to this country, I was still invited to attend.  Must be because I'm such a libtard.  Fucking children...

• 1 month later...
None of these people are electable. Republicans are fucking dead in the water.  I 100% believe whomever is the nominee they will all turn them into their next messiah. Joke humans. 

They’re not. Chris Christie is the only remotely sane and he’d be fucking awful.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Fear. That's what you have people... fear? Fuck your fear. Little people with little dicks. 

Senator Scott said some dumb bullshit about how he “believes” there are thousands of terrorist cells in the country because some people from Yemen moved here. It was impressively racist wildly speculative fear mongering. Dude didn’t even pretend to have facts to back it up. Just “I believe this stupid horseshit.”

And don’t even get me started on the Party of Free Speech promising to deport people who express controversial views.

Politicians all suck to a degree, but the GOP are all just a bunch of stupid assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Unpopular opinion: I’m impressed the Republicans are engaged in energetic if misguided, public dialogue. At least they're getting messaging out in primetime on NBC.

Let's say Biden keels over dead tomorrow.

The Democrats don't have a recognizable talent bench, and that pisses me off.

Maybe I’m wrong, sounds like I need to download this TikTok thing that they want to ban.

Camel's nose is inside the tent, and these fascists can't do anything about it.

Desantis has to be a cuck. He's gives strong sociopath vibes.

How do we lower gas prices? GOP: more oil production. 

Me: what about record profits? What about drump brokering a deal right before the election to reduce oil production from the Saudis and Russia? 

No your right, more production will definitely fix everything. The oil companies/world will love $20 a barrel oil.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

Unpopular opinion: I’m impressed the Republicans are engaged in energetic if misguided, public dialogue. At least they're getting messaging out in primetime on NBC.

Let's say Biden keels over dead tomorrow.

The Democrats don't have a recognizable talent bench, and that pisses me off.

Maybe I’m wrong, sounds like I need to download this TikTok thing that they want to ban.

Camel's nose is inside the tent, and these fascists can't do anything about it.

You can go to any bus stop and find more talent that this group.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3