Rice at Texas - Game 1

Pancho

14 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Baxter was averaging 7.6 ypc before he went down. Dude is the truth. Not sure how long a clavicle injury takes to heal, but hopefully he's back by ou. It was nice to see Blue show out. Probably bad in practice but a good game day player. Brooks did well enough to get close to 5 ypc, as did Blue, who did average 5.5 ypc. 

Is Baxter that good? That is something I would expect from B. Robinson behind an average line. It looked like our backs were fighting for every yard. No holes.

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

What if we did like a reverse wildcat thing with MM and QE. 

Quinn is in for RPO and dink and dunk. MM comes in for deep shots who cares if they know it's coming because our receivers are wide open anyway. 

Malik looked like a fucking man amongst boys out there.  I don’t know how good he is, but I would love to see him win a ton of games as starting QB if it worked out that way.

I do know one thing after watching the game replay this morning. The receivers and backs had better stay alert and one their toes. If one of Maliks' fastballs gets past their hands they will look like the had been hit by a 40mm grenade launcher.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Good
>Students at start of game. Even the olds showed up
>Defense was sound
>Moist co-eds

Bad
>Deep balls
>Officiating. 1st and 48 to avoid the cover.
>Oline with a draw against Rice
>Receivers not getting open against Rice

Ugly
>Why even have cheerleaders or the band?
>230 kick. Hot as balls!
>Decibel level of sound system is just a notch below the sound cannon that subdues The Hulk.

26 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I do know one thing after watching the game replay this morning. The receivers and backs had better stay alert and one their toes. If one of Maliks' fastballs gets past their hands they will look like the had been hit by a 40mm grenade launcher.

IMG_2029.gif.1afdf34399dd231e688ea384491431dc.gif

• Haha 1

As someone who predicted only 7 wins for this season I must say the overreacting is ridiculous. News flash - the starters on offense are still young and dumb at times. Sark is still Sark.

That said the first half play calling was so vanilla that it would make the late Fred Akers blush. I think Sark only called 4 plays in the first half.

In spite of that and some derping by the O we piled up nearly 300 yards and had five scoring drives. 

then Sark started calling stuff from page 2 and we scored 3 TDS in the 3rd. That and Rice was gassed as their offense couldn’t do anything. 

anyway on to Bama after the glorified scrimmage. Hope Baxter gets better fast.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

That said the first half play calling was so vanilla that it would make the late Fred Akers blush. I think Sark only called 4 plays in the first half.

I get it, but like Scipio said in his podcast last night, vanilla playcalling against Rice shouldn't result in your OL getting pushed around. And it shouldn't completely hinder your ability to hit a WR downfield further than 15 yards. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Baxter was averaging 7.6 ypc before he went down. Dude is the truth. Not sure how long a clavicle injury takes to heal, but hopefully he's back by ou. It was nice to see Blue show out. Probably bad in practice but a good game day player. Brooks did well enough to get close to 5 ypc, as did Blue, who did average 5.5 ypc. 

He had a 32-yard run, which was pretty awesome. Other than that, he had like six yards on five carries.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

This is correct, before that he was averaging 1.5 per carry.   Any update on the injury?

Anwar twatted that Sark said Baxter fell on the ball (he didn’t fall on the ball) and injured his ribs.

I think it’s possible he fell on the elbow of the arm not carrying the ball and had the same effect.

IMG_3265.thumb.png.85886be3835e26f0b0ec2890fa506a43.png

https://x.com/anwarrichardson/status/1698113607530144078?s=46&t=omXrludeVYaxmnAiYXvfIA

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

I get it, but like Scipio said in his podcast last night, vanilla playcalling against Rice shouldn't result in your OL getting pushed around. And it shouldn't completely hinder your ability to hit a WR downfield further than 15 yards. 

Not being able to get 1yd against Rice on 4th down put a frown on my face for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Kris Ross looked more explosive than expected for someone who I thought was a transfer candidate. Definitely more explosive than Finkley. I thought that had to be Jaray Bledsoe at first.

Yep was thinking the same on Ross.  Bledsoe was also getting a good push/disruption when he was in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

He had a 32-yard run, which was pretty awesome. Other than that, he had like six yards on five carries.

When you hear a RB averages "insert number" yards per carry do you imagine that is how many yards they run on each carry? And if we take your small sample size as you are doing a RB running for 30+ yards every 5 carries is pretty damn good, and I'll take one yard on the other ones. 

Also the defense was pretty stout yesterday despite all the players we were rotating in. Not enough talk about that thus far.

Edited by SarkAfterDark
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Kris Ross looked more explosive than expected for someone who I thought was a transfer candidate. Definitely more explosive than Finkley. I thought that had to be Jaray Bledsoe at first.

I think the Bledsoe & Collins hype train this fall was the product of our interior offensive line. Rice moved those guys pretty easily too. Ross looked like a player. 

7 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

When you hear a RB averages "insert number" yards per carry do you imagine that is how many yards they run on each carry? And if we take your small sample size as you are doing a RB running for 30+ yards every 5 carries is pretty damn good, and I'll take one yard on the other ones. 

Also the defense was pretty stout yesterday despite all the players we were rotating in. Not enough talk about that thus far.

One thing I like about Baxter for a young back is he uses his offensive line and sets himself up to hi the hole. He'll lean in on them too, very impressive for a young back.

I saw a tweet/heard on IT live(can't remember which) but by the second quarter we had already rotated in 30 defensive players. 

I think Conner is gonna lose his job well before the end of the season if yesterday was any indication of his future performances. I have yet to see a positive play from him on rewatch. How can you be a liability in the run game, pass game, yet provide no athletic/power upside to boot? He must really show assignment soundness in practice or something. Agbo also struggled in space. He probably isn't long for that jumbo TE role.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think Conner is gonna lose his job well before the end of the season if yesterday was any indication of his future performances. I have yet to see a positive play from him on rewatch. How can you be a liability in the run game, pass game, yet provide no athletic/power upside to boot? He must really show assignment soundness in practice or something. Agbo also struggled in space. He probably isn't long for that jumbo TE role.

Once Neto came in we got shit going.....

I'd like to see Banks - Neto - Majors - Hutson/Campbell - Jones lineup.

Neto and Banks next to each other was nasty.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It would be nice if he developed some touch on short stuff. Mayhap that improves with more live reps?

5 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Or put in a QB who is accurate beyond 15 yards.

We kept hearing about all these deep ball connections and how improved Ewers was at going through his progressions during Fall Camp. Oh Yeah, improved footwork, mechanics and faster release too.

I suspect there was a no contact order on QBs in place during fall camp, and greater familiarity with how the D ligns up, stunts and blitzes (this pertains more to poor OL performance, but certainly relevant to Ewers). Ewers' first half poise, footwork and pocket presence sucked. It's game 1 only so some rust and live game adjustment perhaps excusable but he no longer has the excuse of being a fledgling lamb. Especially after Sark refused to pull him in atrocious games like Ok State last season to foster his development.

Campbell was bad on the Oline. Poor recognition in pass protection and mishandled multiple instances where the defensive front shifted or otherwise came with a different look than they presented pre-snap. The line had problems there which is the same problem they had last year in multiple games including TCU and Baylor. Very discouraging to see they haven't fixed it returning the entire line and having 9 months to focus on it. 

It's starting to look like Ewers just can't throw a deep ball to the level needed by Sark's offense. Defenses have figured out Sark calls a game to look for deep shots and it's a big part of his offense and how he sets up his running game. Rice's DC knew Sark is impatient and won't call a game just to dink and dunk down the field for 10-15 play drives so if they can defend deep and this offense misses on those throws they will get behind the chains and falter. It happened last year when DCs figured that out and it happened yesterday, and the big part of it is not having a QB who can hit deep even if there's a bit of coverage there. He's just not that kind of QB. Therefore Sark either needs to adjust his play calling strategy or replace the QB. I'm thinking best case solution right now is adjusting the strategy. If the Rice coaches could see playing 3 high shell zone coverage gives this offense a ton of trouble then Saban sees it. 

Other than those 2 things there was a ton to be encouraged by. Blue had a damn good game coming in for Baxter, multiple guys on the defensive front look hungry and play angry, and the freshmen and redshirt freshmen reminded me of the way that group that won the NC looked in 2002/2003 when they were freshmen backups. Muhammad and Hill just look elite in the making. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Once Neto came in we got shit going.....

I'd like to see Banks - Neto - Majors - Hutson/Campbell - Jones lineup.

Neto and Banks next to each other was nasty.

Neto came in when Conner went to rg because Campbell got hurt.  Campbell was also the issue on one or more stunt/blitzes to that side so maybe he is the bigger issue on the line at present. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Other than those 2 things there was a ton to be encouraged by. Blue had a damn good game coming in for Baxter, multiple guys on the defensive front look hungry and play angry, and the freshmen and redshirt freshmen reminded me of the way that group that won the NC looked in 2002/2003 when they were freshmen backups. Muhammad and Hill just look elite in the making. 

Agreed. Everything, besides those two issues, looked pretty solid. I just wish I had confidence that the Offensive Line could show improvement but if an entire offseason didn't seem to do anything...

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Where can I listen to his podcasts?

I think this conversation would be much different if

1) We had scored on our first drive instead of slip sliding all over the turf.   Please put the grass back in for SEC play!

2). We had gone into halftime 24-3 or 28-0

3). The final score was forth or fifth something for us.

I get we were sloppy in the first half.   But knowing this is not my first rodeo watching football at any level playing  to loose which makes a game closer than it really was,  I’m not an Eeyore like some on Surly has been since last evening.    Go get your tampons and deal with your menstrual cycles guys.   

17 hours ago, Enemy07 said:

Is Baxter that good? That is something I would expect from B. Robinson behind an average line. It looked like our backs were fighting for every yard. No holes.

I dunno since it was Rice, but looking at his stats after the game it showed he averaged 7.6 ypc

I was like Damn, man. 

But I was told he did have a 36 yard run which boosted his ypc, but other than that he had like 6 yards on 5 carries. Regardless, the 36 yard run was dope. 

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Ah, ok. That makes sense 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

My 3 y/o nephew made it through the whole game. And to all the doubters, you’re just helicopter parents that are raising brats that will end up as Txst fodder.

I was low key wondering how the toddler fared yesterday. Lmao. Thanks for the update. I had my toddler at home watching the game and barely survived. Txst it as. At least they can beat Baylor

On 9/3/2023 at 6:09 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Manny Muhammad is a fucking dude. He and Brooks looked great. But yeah, Muhammad looks like a day 1 pick, I don't give a fuck if it's Rice. You can see immediately why the 995ers were rubbing themselves this summer 

I was at the game and haven't rewatched it... but I agree that the DB's looked salty.  

Guilbeau, Jordan, Muhammad and Barron - I seem to remember all of them being effective tacklers who were willing to attack receivers and running backs who were as big or bigger than them.  I don't remember specific hits from Thompson/Catalon/Watts on Saturday, but in my opinion, the three guys have (to different degrees) already proven themselves.   

And yeah, it was just Rice.  I get that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I was at the game and haven't rewatched it... but I agree that the DB's looked salty.  

Guilbeau, Jordan, Muhammad and Barron - I seem to remember all of them being effective tacklers who were willing to attack receivers and running backs who were as big or bigger than them.  I don't remember specific hits from Thompson/Catalon/Watts on Saturday, but in my opinion, the three guys have (to different degrees) already proven themselves.   

And yeah, it was just Rice.  I get that.  

Brooks looked awesome, too. Our DB's look like they went into a time machine and got their DBU swagger back. Joseph has killed it with his recruiting his dudes, and I wasn't too keen on his hiring, tbh. So far he's proven me happily wrong. 

There's almost no drop-off at all in quality. Muhammad is probably better than Watts longterm. Gilbeau has no problems lining up and blankeding his guy. They played perfect coverage on that freak TD by lil McCaffrey. He just somehow didn't die when they brought the wood. 9 out of 10 times that ball is dropped from those hits. Our D is the single reason for optimism going into Tuscaloosa and coming out with a W. We have the guys on D to get it done. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Spelling is hard
  • Hook 'Em 2