Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. Ok. Don't know why I'd want to watch a 10 minute video that ends with the band walking into an empty stadium.

I think you meant to say "speaking of the Cotton Bowl":

Speaking of the Cotton Bowl, how about a video of Longhorn Band marching out of a half-empty stadium?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

This is a literal cut and paste from CDC’s weekly newsletter. Not a 5th grade “What I Did This Weekend” essay. I’ll hang up and listen:

Longhorn Nation,

The chorus kicked off early and was the theme of the day on Saturday … THUNDER! First it was the late morning storms rolling through Austin, clearing in ample time for the party to commence on BEVO Blvd, Smokey’s Midway and Longhorn City Limits. Amidst another joyous day of fun and fellowship on the Forty, a rowdy, raucous round of Hook ‘Ems, fist bumps, and high-fives were aplenty as our undefeated suited & booted herd of Longhorns proudly strolled through the Stadium Stampede in preparation to don their Burnt Orange jerseys and gameday digs. The anticipation, excitement and enthusiasm were at a fevered pitch as y’all took to the stands in the relative cool of the night in DKR. Coming off our Horns’ epic performance at Alabama, let me tell you, y’all showed up, showed out and brought it BIG-TIME! It wasn’t easy as Coach Sark and our squad dug-in with steadfast grit and determination while going toe-to-toe against a persistent posse of Wyoming Cowboys with upset on their minds.

Tied at 10-all through three quarters, the final act began. With the rhythmical legendary AC/DC beat of “Thunderstruck” blaring through the stands, the more than 100,000 packing the house were treated to the much-anticipated and truly glorious light show, orange smoke serenade, while a chorus of drones glowed brightly to form our Longhorn logo and Hook ‘Em Horns sign. With Longhorn Nation rallying as one, it was an AWESOME sight to behold indeed. I could definitely feel it coming in the air that night! Feeding off that frenzy, fanatical energy and choruses of Texas-Fight, it ignited a sensational surge for our Horns as with The Nation behind them, they proceeded to light up the scoreboard. With y’all roaring for every snap, the thunderous runs of Jonathan Brooks took charge, lightning struck from our guy X-man and the exclamation point came with pick-six from Jerrin Thompson. It was just midway through the fourth quarter and a 21-0 blitzing culminated in a 31-10 triumph. In the locker room and postgame press conference after an incredible night, Coach Sark and our players were quick to point out the impact the best fans in the land had on the victory! With that win, we’re off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 2012 and climbed to No. 3 in The AP Poll, our best ranking since 2009.

It was an incredible atmosphere, one heck of a night on the Forty, and we’re just getting started. With your help and endless support, we’re gettin’ those BBs back in the box! I’ve got to give Drew Martin, Fernando Lovo and our entire external services, creative and game ops teams an emphatic Hook ‘Em, gracias, and round of applause. They’ve been preparing, testing, working for months and anxiously waiting for the chance to show off our new stadium toys … and it was BREATHTAKING! Take a bow all of you, that was one awesome sight to behold and an electric environment for sure. There’s much more to come, but what a great start it was sharing it with y’all on a memorable Saturday night at DKR.

I'm 51, took my 18-year-old son with me this past Saturday. We had a blast... I did think there was a bit too much 80's rock, Van Halen, Quiet Riot? I liked the DJ playing Kendrick and other more current songs, the younger students and players seemed to enjoy it a lot more, but they kept cutting it off at the wrong times and missing hooks. So it was good music, just played in a disjointed manner. My biggest complaint would be those 3rd down animations as others mentioned. The animation itself is low quality and I'd rather see replays or at least a much better, shorter, 3rd down animation. 

The flyover was cool, the entrance was cool... personally, would like to see a different song played, no offense AC/DC. If Wyoming hadn't sucked the air out of the stadium by scoring first, and we had our head in the game, a full game like the 4th quarter would have made up for everything else.

On 9/18/2023 at 12:10 PM, MrBig said:

Cool drone show. But Thunderstruck again? The crowd sounded much better cheering before the music kicked in. Play the band or some fucking hip hop for a change. 

i wasn't at the game but it couldn't have been any louder than the Rocky Mountain Texas Exes gathering which was just at a sports bar venue but made me wish i had earplugs 😝

but whatever... this drone show was the shit! the players and crowd look really into it! 🤘

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

This is a literal cut and paste from CDC’s weekly newsletter. Not a 5th grade “What I Did This Weekend” essay. I’ll hang up and listen:

JFC, that is beyond embarrassing.

I can't imagine ever putting my butt in a seat in that stadium ever again.

Longhorn Nation,

The chorus kicked off early and was the theme of the day on Saturday … THUNDER! First it was the late morning storms rolling through Austin, clearing in ample time for the party to commence on BEVO Blvd, Smokey’s Midway and Longhorn City Limits. Amidst another joyous day of fun and fellowship on the Forty, a rowdy, raucous round of Hook ‘Ems, fist bumps, and high-fives were aplenty as our undefeated suited & booted herd of Longhorns proudly strolled through the Stadium Stampede in preparation to don their Burnt Orange jerseys and gameday digs. The anticipation, excitement and enthusiasm were at a fevered pitch as y’all took to the stands in the relative cool of the night in DKR. Coming off our Horns’ epic performance at Alabama, let me tell you, y’all showed up, showed out and brought it BIG-TIME! It wasn’t easy as Coach Sark and our squad dug-in with steadfast grit and determination while going toe-to-toe against a persistent posse of Wyoming Cowboys with upset on their minds.

Tied at 10-all through three quarters, the final act began. With the rhythmical legendary AC/DC beat of “Thunderstruck” blaring through the stands, the more than 100,000 packing the house were treated to the much-anticipated and truly glorious light show, orange smoke serenade, while a chorus of drones glowed brightly to form our Longhorn logo and Hook ‘Em Horns sign. With Longhorn Nation rallying as one, it was an AWESOME sight to behold indeed. I could definitely feel it coming in the air that night! Feeding off that frenzy, fanatical energy and choruses of Texas-Fight, it ignited a sensational surge for our Horns as with The Nation behind them, they proceeded to light up the scoreboard. With y’all roaring for every snap, the thunderous runs of Jonathan Brooks took charge, lightning struck from our guy X-man and the exclamation point came with pick-six from Jerrin Thompson. It was just midway through the fourth quarter and a 21-0 blitzing culminated in a 31-10 triumph. In the locker room and postgame press conference after an incredible night, Coach Sark and our players were quick to point out the impact the best fans in the land had on the victory! With that win, we’re off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 2012 and climbed to No. 3 in The AP Poll, our best ranking since 2009.

It was an incredible atmosphere, one heck of a night on the Forty, and we’re just getting started. With your help and endless support, we’re gettin’ those BBs back in the box! I’ve got to give Drew Martin, Fernando Lovo and our entire external services, creative and game ops teams an emphatic Hook ‘Em, gracias, and round of applause. They’ve been preparing, testing, working for months and anxiously waiting for the chance to show off our new stadium toys … and it was BREATHTAKING! Take a bow all of you, that was one awesome sight to behold and an electric environment for sure. There’s much more to come, but what a great start it was sharing it with y’all on a memorable Saturday night at DKR.

ChatGPT prompt “Describe Gameday”
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Looks like CDC has outsourced his newsletter to be written by mommy bloggers who can’t make their husband’s penis hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's like an ADHD Tasmanian devil. Look here! Listen to this! Bright lights! Now they're flashing! Drone show! Fireworks! It's fun! Why are you cheering on your own? We didn't tell you to do that! 

Go to the Cotton Bowl. Take notes on atmosphere in the stadium. Replicate. That's what I want.

9 hours ago, sidis said:

just take the most unique and special environments of all of sports that is defined by it not being a home game or an away game for either team that are each other's most hated rivals and very simply replicate that for home games against wyoming.

look, i am frustrated by the bizarre home game environment that i would describe as trying so god damned hard that it is hurting itself.  it's like a dude at a party that is desperately trying to impress everyone as fast as he can.  they need to chill.

but acting like it's as simple as transplanting (imo) the greatest and most unique sporting spectacle in the country every year where the same variables are not at play is just silly.  texas-ou is self-fulfilling because of what it is.

If they ever move this game to Jerry World, the atmosphere will become DKR North. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Longhorn Nation,

Yikes. All discussion of the PA and whatever else aside, this reads like texags fanfic.

For first time visitors who are not big fans of the game, the current game experience is awe-inspiring.

For college football fans, the distraction is something you have to endure to enjoy the game and time with your friends.

Think its at a 95/100 (and not just the decibel levels). They need to go down to a 65/100.

The game experience is bloated and overproduced. From CDC’s recent essay, he’s super proud to see Fonzie jump the shark.

My favorite memories of going to Texas games in the 90s as a student were the band. One, I dig college bands, drums in particular. Not everyone does but to me it captures the feel and feeling of attending college athletics events and football games in particular. Loved hearing them, seeing them play.

Also, my group of friends even loved the goofy in-between songs/sounds. The "Texas Texas Yee-Haw" song. We yelled along with and laughed simultaneously at the cheesiness. But that itself made it fun and memorable and "authentic." Do they even do that any more?

I haven't been to a modern-era game. I probably will take my boys there this year or next and can actually make a real judgment.

But I'm 1000% opposed to piped in fake and generic "experiences" that are attempting to replicate a mega-pop concert and a page taken from Dave and Buster's and cruise ships book of "Everything for everyone all at once -- the louder version"

Hopefully it's not that but based on reports it sounds like that's the "vision" on it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

For first time visitors who are not big fans of the game, the current game experience is awe-inspiring.

For college football fans, the distraction is something you have to endure to enjoy the game and time with your friends.

Think its at a 95/100 (and not just the decibel levels). They need to go down to a 65/100.

The game experience is bloated and overproduced. From CDC’s recent essay, he’s super proud to see Fonzie jump the shark.

I'll put up with a lot to watch Texas football in person. But at some point they need to throw a bone to the people who actually attend to watch football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

But I'm 1000% opposed to piped in fake and generic "experiences" that are attempting to replicate a mega-pop concert and a page taken from Dave and Buster's and cruise ships book of "Everything for everyone all at once -- the louder version"

Hopefully it's not that but based on reports it sounds like that's the "vision" on it.

There has got to be some kind of data fed to live sports operators that this is what they need to attract the younger audience. I attend a bunch of Mavs/Stars games in Dallas as well and the "attack on all senses" has gotten noticeably more intense of the last decade as well.  Particularly NBA games.

Y'all sound old.
There's a bunch of superfluous stuff but who cares? I'm watching the Horns... its college football season.  Go take a nap and snap out of it...
200.gif

The students started a chant during the injury timeout because that was one of the rare moments of relative silence during the game. And they were pissed at Wyoming fans.

Most of us arent too old for cutting edge acts like AC/DC, Journey, Judas Priest, and 4 Non-Blondes “What’s Going on-a-on!!!”.

Its not old vs young. Its corporation vs fan.

The formula that works is this:

> Great tailgate environment
> Sit students together with band
> Open alcohol sales
> Texas football

Thats 90%. CDC has helped get that. But they’re fucking up the remaining 10%.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Y'all sound old.

There's a bunch of superfluous stuff but who cares? I'm watching the Horns... it’s college football season.  Go take a nap and snap out of it...

Old Man Dance GIF

You sound clueless to what the quality of college football experience  is supposed to be like, and the current in stadium crap isn’t it. 
It’s now an artificial facade designed for people who are children of the microchip.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

You sound clueless to what the quality of college football experience  is supposed to be like, and the current in stadium crap isn’t it. 
It’s now an artificial facade designed for people who are children of the microchip.

I've been to lots of games.  I know they're adding a bunch of garbage and its getting a bit ridiculous but I'm just happy to go to games. 

Oh... and y'all need to wake up that 5 star recruits are not looking to go to a game for a "quality college football experience".  They are losing their minds over orange lights, drones and loud music.  They see that and want to come to UT (obviously in conjunction with the play on the field).  The old "rah rah sis boom bah" experience is not going to move the needle on some elite level DT.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Oh... and y'all need to wake up that 5 star recruits are not looking to go to a game for a "quality college football experience".  They are losing their minds over orange lights, drones and loud music. 

I heard that Colin Simmons would not have committed to us without 40 year old Van Halen songs playing at ear-piercing levels. It is integral. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I heard that Colin Simmons would not have committed to us without 40 year old Van Halen songs playing at ear-piercing levels. It is integral. 

DLR maybe not but still like this which fits the artificial complaints has an impact with recruits...

Edited by texasdago

28 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Oh... and y'all need to wake up that 5 star recruits are not looking to go to a game for a "quality college football experience".  They are losing their minds over orange lights, drones and loud music.  They see that and want to come to UT (obviously in conjunction with the play on the field).  The old "rah rah sis boom bah" experience is not going to move the needle on some elite level DT.

The explain how Bama continues to get 5 stars by the bus load. The game experience there is nothing like you described. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I've been to lots of games.  I know they're adding a bunch of garbage and its getting a bit ridiculous but I'm just happy to go to games. 

These recruits are coming here because of the NIL.

The flashy bullshit is just the icing on the cake.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think the vast majority of complaints have nothing to do with lights or drones. 

The got dam unhealthy PA noise is #1, and got dam Bob Cole #2, (now add in the got dam screaming idiot on the sideline.

Lights & drones are ok.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

The got dam unhealthy PA noise is #1, and got dam Bob Cole #2, (now add in the got dam screaming idiot on the sideline.

Seriously. These are easy fixes. 

I'm sure the recruits in the stands would be like "Eh, this is ok, but I just wish they would play Jump by Van Halen and turn it up to unhealthy levels."

• Hook 'Em 2

If they have to play some rock, hip hop, whatever… that’s fine, but it should NOT dominate every timeout at 95 decibels. Tone it down to where kids don’t have to wear ear plugs to avoid permanent damage. That’s just plain stupid and ignorant.

Let the Longhorn band be heard.

And somebody ball gag Bob Cole and his sideline Mini Me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't the someone in the NBA or MLB  do a "Throwback" game where there was minimal, if any piped in music or crowd noise.  It was all organic.

You had the PA announcer and the fans and an organist or whatever.

Texas games, IMO, should be like that.

Play music for the players entrance to the field, have your fly overs, drone shows and the burnt orange lights and whatever....but let the atmosphere be organic.

PA Announcer, Fans, Band..obviously they'll need to play ads and shit and do whatever they need to keep sponsors happy, but still seems like they're trying too hard to make it like the NFL.  Which is a dumb move.

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If your best memories of Texas football is the band during a football game then that means the football team during that time period must have been hot dog shit. 

If your best memories of Texas football is 87 video shots of the hog wearing the "A" in the Hellraisers' section dancing to the back beat of Thuderstruck/Crazy Train/Hells Bells/You Shook Me All Night Long.......then.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4